Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen's 90 Birthday: Commonwealth Service 2016:
http://youtu.be/ByikAbuhTdM

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-02-2016, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen will party with 10,000 in Mall for 90th birthday despite terror threat | Latest News | Breaking UK News & World News Headlines | Daily Star
Quote:
Police will endeavour to throw a ring of steel around the giant street party in The Mall near Buckingham Palace on June 12.

But security experts fear they will have little control over who attends the event. Most tickets for the open-air bash will be going out to invited guests.

But charities linked to the Queen are being allowed to sell 40% of their ticket allocation to boost their donations coffers.

They will be made available to the general public via raffles and auctions throughout Britain. That means police and the security services face the nightmare prospect of up to 4,000 “unknowns” attending.

Royal insiders say the Queen will insist on being visible and will not hide behind bullet-proof screens or other security apparatus.

A source said: “Policing a royal event is difficult at the best of times. This is a nightmare scenario as the final destination of so many of these tickets will be unknown.”

Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 AM
Majesty

I must say that I am not the least surprised! The queen has always put on a brave face and carried on, even in frightening times!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, to make things relative: the Queen knows she has the very best protection available. Protection people like you or me do not have when we enter an airport or a metro station. It makes difference to go to a meeting knowing there were bomb checks on beforehand, with continue CCTV-surveillances from buildings and drones, with metal detectors and safety dogs in the streets and the very best snipers on the rooftops.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Majesty

A sabre squadron of SAS commandos will be deployed to the Mall as well. The Queen knows she has the best looking out for her
Old 04-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Well, to make things relative: the Queen knows she has the very best protection available. Protection people like you or me do not have when we enter an airport or a metro station. It makes difference to go to a meeting knowing there were bomb checks on beforehand, with continue CCTV-surveillances from buildings and drones, with metal detectors and safety dogs in the streets and the very best snipers on the rooftops.

True, but a determined assassin or group can be hard to stop.

Presidents Kennedy and Reagan were still shot despite close Secret Service protection. The IRA still managed to blow up the Conservative Party conference in Brighton despite the security services being aware of the general threat from republican groups. I know protection has improved since the 1980's but I would think both the Secret Service and Scotland Yard would have claimed their protection was the very best at that time.

The Queen has always said she has to be seen to be believed. I can't see her (or King Charles for that matter) not interacting with the public out of security concerns.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Royal Mint will today release a commemorative £5 coin to mark the Queen’s 90th birthday – its design unveiled here exclusively in The Mail on Sunday.

Created by artist and sculptor Christopher Hobbs, the coin features a classical garland of nine roses – one for each of the Queen’s decades – as well as the Royal cypher ‘EIIR’, and number 90.

The £5 coin comes in a variety of finishes and metals including silver, gold and platinum gold, with prices from £20 to an astonishing £5,000 for a rare platinum edition.

The Queen turns 90 on April 21 but including her age on the coin was a controversial move, Mr Hobbs said. ‘I thought it was important to have the 90 prominently on the coin, but I was told it raised a few eyebrows at the palace,’ he told The Mail on Sunday.

‘Apparently it’s not the done thing pointing out the Queen’s age but I think in this case it was absolutely necessary and the point was taken. I am told the design was submitted to the Queen and she passed it.’
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...9634288290.jpg
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
A schoolgirl from Stamford has been selected as finalist in a nationwide competition to design a birthday cake to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday and be sold in supermarkets.

Budding designers were asked by Waitrose to create and design the retailer’s official cake to celebrate the historic occasion, with hundreds of entrants narrowed down to just five finalists from across the UK.

Tilly Chisholm, from Stamford, was among the five finalists who were invited to meet the judges at the final stage of the competition at the Waitrose Cookery School in King’s Cross.
Read more: Stamford schoolgirl reaches final five of nationwide Waitrose competition to design a cake for the Queen’s 90th birthday - Rutland and Stamford Mercury
Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen approves £27m Windsor Castle revamp as 90th birthday approaches

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-35958283
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kylie Minogue to perform for the Queen at 90th birthday celebration

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Majesty

does anyone know where the documentary Our Queen At 90 can be found? looks like it was removed from the original location in youtube :(
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
does anyone know where the documentary Our Queen At 90 can be found? looks like it was removed from the original location in youtube :(
The full version is still on youtube but not the one previously posted.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:19 AM
Gentry

I don't see Our Queen at 90 on youtube. Not the whole thing anyway. Just snippits of it. I'd like to watch it too and didn't get to it before they took it down.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I don't see Our Queen at 90 on youtube. Not the whole thing anyway. Just snippits of it. I'd like to watch it too and didn't get to it before they took it down.
I just checked and it was taken down.

I think you need to keep checking as it appears the person or people are putting it on youtube and it stays for several days before being taken down.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Majesty

Those are really wonderful and puzzling gowns! I had never seen those items before, nor did I thought the queen was much the type to wear that style! Thanks eya!
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd imagine it will be a very interesting exhibition and will attract a lot of extra visitors to the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

The creations in her wardrobe has calmed down these days, but so much beautiful details were applied to her dresses back in the day. She was a very fashionable in her day.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

I love it all

The Queen's birthday: Our top picks of commemorative gifts - Photo 1
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 AM
Gentry

For anyone who still hasn't seen Our Queen at 90, I just watched it on dailymotion.com. It's in 7 parts, but it is all there.