The Family of Iñaki Urdangarín

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the problem with not attending.
I haven't attended my brother's "in laws" family funerals. I may have met them on occassion but they are not related to me. I gave my condolences to my sisters in law on their losses but saw no need to attend the funerals and certainly not if they were in another city.

I disagree here, differences should be forgotten when the brother in law suffers a loss. Under normal circumstances, losing a parent is more drastic compared to a grandparent. Cristina still is Felipe's sister. Its not all about Inaki, but also about the 4 Urdangarin children too. To stay away while Queen Sofia & Elena attend is quite a statement, and not a good one. Just in my opinion, of course.
I agree with you. Funerals should be attended by all the family members. It is not the time for cheap plebeian dramas.

Last edited:
I disagree here, differences should be forgotten when the brother in law suffers a loss. Under normal circumstances, losing a parent is more drastic compared to a grandparent. Cristina still is Felipe's sister. Its not all about Inaki, but also about the 4 Urdangarin children too. To stay away while Queen Sofia & Elena attend is quite a statement, and not a good one. Just in my opinion, of course.

Besides the reasons stated by Lula, another reason is that there were reports that Inaki's family especially his mom were very angry at the 'not exemplary' comment made by the head of the royal household on Inaki's behavior, also the King's Christmas speech, so JC and Felipe might want to avoid the awkward encounter when others are angry at them. Inaki's mom is also old like Sofia, if Sofia had a hard time to turn her head, it's almost impossible for Inaki's mom.
Did Letizia go on Friday or not ? Paloma B did mention she went Friday afternoon although Paloma is not the most reliable source.

La princesa Letizia acudir a arropar a su cuado Iaki Urdangarin

Princess Letizia was not there.

But I believe that now the reasons of the Prince and the Princess are more than justified. Without nobody was finding out, Telma and Jaime del Burgo married on Friday in Navarra.

I agree that they should have attended. This is not about Iñaki, it´s about Cristina who is Felipe´s sister (or she isn´t anymore?) and those four children who are living a very difficult situation, not to say a private hell..
It´s certainly not a moment to be casting stones, or distancing yourselves so as not to be muddied. Are they so pure and blameless?
And if Iñaki is as guilty as they say, why isn´t he in jail yet?

Inaki’s mom is a Belgian and has not the same background as Queen Sofia.
She married her husband for love left Belgium and they had 6 Children.
What a family disaster now !

I agree that they should have attended. This is not about Iñaki, it´s about Cristina who is Felipe´s sister (or she isn´t anymore?) and those four children who are living a very difficult situation, not to say a private hell..
It´s certainly not a moment to be casting stones, or distancing yourselves so as not to be muddied. Are they so pure and blameless?
And if Iñaki is as guilty as they say, why isn´t he in jail yet?

I disagree. The SRF has been well represented with the Queen and Infanta Elena - there is no need for the Crown Prince and Princess to be present. Neither Inaki or Cristina were present during Letizia's sister's funeral. The King and Queen were there and proper protocol was observed.

I disagree. The SRF has been well represented with the Queen and Infanta Elena - there is no need for the Crown Prince and Princess to be present. Neither Inaki or Cristina were present during Letizia's sister's funeral. The King and Queen were there and proper protocol was observed.

Not true. The complete family attended either Erika's funeral or memorial mass.

IMO the Princes - or Letizia's if this was an event for the SRF women to attend and neither monarch nor heir wanted to be associated with Inaki - could have gone together with the Queen & Elena, no need to be seen together with Inaki but to show compassion.

On a family level I see no reason why their attendance was required. It is perfectly possible to extend condolences and sympathy in private, especially on the death of someone who is not a direct relative of yourself (sisters husbands father). It is how I would handle such a situation in my own family, especially if I had no personal relationship with the deceased.

On a public level I can well believe they could be advised to stay away from his sister and her disgraced husband and avoid any linkage between the 2 families.

Last edited:
:previous:
It would not a bad idea for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to completely exit the Casa Real activities and concentrate on being private citizens like King Juan Carlos' sisters.

On a family level I see no reason why their attendance was required. It is perfectly possible to extend condolences and sympathy in private, especially on the death of someone who is not a direct relative of yourself (sisters husbands father). It is how I would handle such a situation in my own family, especially if I had no personal relationship with the deceased.
They are a public family, not a private one. Everything they do is possibly sending out a message. And the messages they are sending out show a deep rift within the family.

They are a public family, not a private one. Everything they do is possibly sending out a message. And the messages they are sending out show a deep rift within the family.

So then they are sending the appropriate message "we are not associated with these people or the crimes they may have committed".

It would not a bad idea for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to completely exit the Casa Real activities and concentrate on being private citizens like King Juan Carlos' sisters.
:previous: It will probably happen when Felipe is King/when little Infantas are old enough, however until then they are needed. Even if they don't carry out as many duties as the Princes..

On a family level I see no reason why their attendance was required.
Exactly. I know people may have different opinions on this topic, but imo a brother-in-law`s father is not a close relative and it`s perfectly ok to send the condolences only, without attending the funeral.

On a public level I can well believe they could be advised to stay away from his sister and her disgraced husband and avoid any linkage between the 2 families.
I believe it too. It`s also possible that the relationship between the Dukes and the Princes is not good, so the attendance would have created unnecessary tension at the funeral, therefore it was better not to attend.

Wouldn't there also be grave security concerns to have all members of the Royal Family there?

Wouldn't there also be grave security concerns to have all members of the Royal Family there?

Vitoria is the Basque Country, and though now the terrorists are in truce, security is still very important. When the Queen arrived to the house of the Urdangarín family, the street was cut and controlled by the police, the delegation consisted of 4 or 5 cars and was watched from the air by a helicopter. Improvise a trip of members of the Royal Family is always difficult, but doing it in the Basque country more.

Attend the funeral on Saturday was even more difficult. Yesterday in all Spanish cities there were demonstrations by the 15 M, so the police was too busy to control that. Moreover Iñaki and the corruption case were subject to protest in some of that demonstrations.

So then they are sending the appropriate message "we are not associated with these people or the crimes they may have committed".
Well, some members do, while showing no compassion to the sister (in law) and her family, others dont, while associating with "these people" or the crimes they may have committed.

Opinions on this will differ, rightly so, since its a lose-lose situation.

I think it´s shameful. After all when Letizia´s sister commited suicide the WHOLE royal family was there , including Iñaki and Cristina, even though at the time there wasn´t very much loving between them.
After all, there are four children who have the King´s blood in their veins, and should have had this deference extended to them.
I have been in another site, which is not at all favourable to \Iñaki, but most everyone was incensed by this situation.
It´s the death of an honourable man, who is the grandfather of four of the King´s own grandchildren. A man who never was searching for limelights, nor was ever involved in anything bad.
If Letizia´s sister deserved their appearance why not him.
If they are so afraid of mud clinging to them, how about Botwsana and the elephant hunt?

:previous: It will probably happen when Felipe is King/when little Infantas are old enough, however until then they are needed. Even if they don't carry out as many duties as the Princes..
I see no reason for both ladies to accommodate anybody. It would be deemed expedient for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to either gracefully exit or scale down their royal activities to a bare minimum. If needed, Prince and Princess Asturia can fill a gap. I dare say the Casa Real can function with them. Duchess of Palma should focus on her life in the USA, whereas Infanta Elena should do so in Spain.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, it would be deemed expedient for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to scale down their royal activities to a bare minimum. Prince and Princess Asturia can fill the gap. I dare say the Casa Real can function with them. Duchess of Palma should focus on her life in the USA, whereas Infanta Elena should do so in Spain.
While I have to agree regarding Infanta Cristina, I don't see why Infanta Elena should scale down her engagements.
Her personal life has may have taken an unfortunate turn, but that doesn't mean she cannot represent the royal family.

Last edited:
There is no need to wait for the time when Prince Felipe may shun his family members out of political expediency.

Last edited:
Perhaps they just acted as grown-up mature people and discussed whether the Prince and Princess of Asturia should attend. The security and photographers that would have been present may not be what the family wanted. There are many ways of supporting your family. When a family member is in declining health for a long time the grieving is sometimes over by the time death comes. They may actually have worked out their support for each other in ways that suit them all.

I see no reason for both ladies to accommodate anybody. It would be deemed expedient for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to either gracefully exit or scale down their royal activities to a bare minimum. If needed, Prince and Princess Asturia can fill a gap. I dare say the Casa Real can function with them. Duchess of Palma should focus on her life in the USA, whereas Infanta Elena should do so in Spain.

For now, the Princes of Asturias can fill the gap, as long as the Kings are alive. After that, they will have some serious thinking to do, basically running casareal on their own, with the Infantas Leonor & Sofia not ready for duty in the next 15 - 20 years.

One word re Cristina - I believe her US stay is related to Inaki's work and work visa. Now we can speculate that she is an Infanta of Spain and will have access to JC's money but I doubt the Palma family can keep up the standard in the US once Inaki will be out of work at Telefonica. Depending on the court case, he will struggle to get another golden advisor job to fund a similar lifestyle abroad.

Gallery
http://www.ellahoy.es/famosos/artic...amilia-en-el-funeral-de-su-padre-fotos/62365/

Last edited:
Iñaki Urdangarín got his job at Telefónica as the son-in-law of the King. His future in the company is black, because black is his judicial future. If he supports his work, and with it the possibility of continuing living in The United States is principally because there are 4 children whom they want to keep removed from the scandal. The company pays expenses to them as the house, the school for the children and pays to them safety that completes the safety that pay the Spanish government. Without Telefonica, not only Iñaki lose his pay but they lost a lot of expenses paid.

Infanta Cristina continues having her work in Barcelona, and I do not believe that the Foundation La Caixa agrees to lengthen this situation eternally.

I think they will not continue living in the U.S.. In the summer when the children finish the school year they will return to Spain. Depending on how Inaki´s future evolves, the lives of the family will change. If they decide to stay in Barcelona, they will seek a new home, because the current is at the center of the scandal. Infanta Cristina would return to work, Inaki would leave Telefonica and children to their former school, or perhaps sent to England as they did with Froilan.

I agree with you, however, I doubt they will return to Spain, simply because of the press harassment that will not stop. It would be a difficult life for Inaki & Cristina but unbearable for the children.

I dont think they can afford to live in the US for much longer without Telefonica but I see the Kings rather forking out on their own pocket / use their connections to provide for the Palma family rather than seeing them suffer every single day due to paparazzi shots.

England would be a good option for them to live, close to Europe but with enough distance to Spain. JC is rich, he could provide for them if the wanted to, Sofia's brother Constantine lives there with his family, so possibilities could come up for the Palma family to rebuild their life there.

Yes Duke, that's another possibility. The press says the Infanta Cristina wants to return to Spain to be near family and friends, but I do not know if she knows how hard it will be for their children bear all the comments. In addition, her work is in Barcelona.

Thanks for the additional information!
I still think that Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina should just follow their aunts' example. It would be much better in the long run. It is Prince Felipe's job to ensure smooth running of the Casa Real.

(...) The decision was long thought out, but finally Felipe de Borbon and his wife, Letizia Ortiz, did not go to Vitoria. Travelling to Vitoria to offer condolences to the family would have been seen by much of the public as a gesture of magnanimity of the heir to the crown, capable of showing warmth and humanity , despite the gap that separates him from his BIL following the case, but could also be interpreted as a sign of indulgence and approach to the Duke of Palma, facing the King and the Prince for his alleged agreement with prosecutors to avoid jail. At the end outweighed the reasons of state, and only the Queen and Bourbon infanta Elena joined the mourning (...).
El Rey afronta dos semanas de pesadilla que pueden agravar la crisis de la Corona

(...) The decision was long thought out, but finally Felipe de Borbon and his wife, Letizia Ortiz, did not go to Vitoria. Travelling to Vitoria to offer condolences to the family would have been seen by much of the public as a gesture of magnanimity of the heir to the crown, capable of showing warmth and humanity , despite the gap that separates him from his BIL following the case, but could also be interpreted as a sign of indulgence and approach to the Duke of Palma, facing the King and the Prince for his alleged agreement with prosecutors to avoid jail. At the end outweighed the reasons of state, and only the Queen and Bourbon infanta Elena joined the mourning (...).
El Rey afronta dos semanas de pesadilla que pueden agravar la crisis de la Corona

I think the SRF were represented by Sophia and her daughter. Not every member of the family had to travel the distance.

Back
Top Bottom