Infanta Cristina's Ducal Title Revoked; June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
According to ABC newspaper, King Felipe has signed a decree withdrawing Infanta Cristina the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca. It will be official tomorrow.

El Rey revoca el t?tulo de Duquesa de Palma a Do?a Cristina - ABC.es

Yes, it's official, the Royal House announced it. It will be published tomorrow in the Official Gazette.

It was inevitable. Most of the illicit business of Noos were in Mallorca, it was clear that the citizens of Mallorca disagreed that they continued to use a title used for profiting in those businesses. They already withdrawn some time ago the street with their title in the city.

Infanta Cristina has shown no intention of giving up her dynastic rights, and this was the honor that was easier to withdraw.

Last edited by a moderator:
wait... what? It'd better be true or Abc won't be cutting a good figure... is that a reliable source?

According to ABC newspaper, King Felipe has signed a decree withdrawing Infanta Cristina the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca. It will be official tomorrow.

El Rey revoca el t?tulo de Duquesa de Palma a Do?a Cristina - ABC.es

That's huge news !

Nevertheless, we must not forget that, under the Spanish constitution, responsibility falls with the minister who co-signs the royal decree, in that case, according to the text published by ABC, Mariano Rajoy. That is legally the case even if it is indeed a personal decision of the King.

I guess the next logical step would be to remove Cristina from the line of succession, but that cannot be done by royal decree alone. It would require an organic law passed by both houses of parliament (as was the case with King Juan Carlos' abdication).

Ok the next step will be the removing from the line of sucession and I hope also the stripping of the HRH and Infanta title.
I think mr and mrs. Urdangarin will be perfect

I think that what is urgent is they to be judged and fast.... what are they waiting for !

She should have renounced her succession rights a long time ago,its a pity it had to come to this.
She'll still be Her Royal Highness the Infanta Cristina of Spain and fifth in the line of succession to the Spanish throne.

:previous:

6th, after the Princess of Asturias, Infanta Sofia, the Duchess of Lugo, Froilán and Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón.

She should have renounced her succession rights a long time ago,its a pity it had to come to this.
She'll still be Her Royal Highness the Infanta Cristina of Spain and fifth in the line of succession to the Spanish throne.
Agree. I'm fine with the King and the Royal House decision, it's totally understandable, but it's her who should have renounced personally.

After her (and her husband's) shameless behaviour you would expects a little more dignity...but she keeps letting her image sink among the Spanish people. But then, she probably couldn't care less :whistling:

What a lovely early 50th birthday present for the Infanta.

Last edited:
I learned on another Royal MB that the King and Cristina discussed the situation of revoking her Palma title when both were at Prince Kardam's Memorial Mass. Lula, have you read anything to this effect?

I would hope none of this stuff is affecting the relationships between her and her family.

:previous:It has undoubtedly impacted the dynamic of the entire SRF, who were once such a tight knit clan. Tragic.

I feel especially sad for the Urdangarin kids.:sad:

Last edited:
Is something soon or later happening. Very logical move from King.

lol
I don't feel sorry at all for her. What goes around comes around

I agree with you. And the King must precautions crown and this makes.

She can not give up her title as this can only be done by a special Act which has to pass Parliament. And... why should she? I would recommend: wait until Justice has spoken. It is all so premature.

And is Justice speak and say innocent then what? Returns in Spain represented the King in various events and it's all good?

Last edited by a moderator:
'

Has anybody blamed Letizia yet? :ermm:

For what would she be blamed? I hope she isn't still victimized as she actually seems like a strong lady to me.

I see the 'innocent until proven guilty' is not a sentiment shared by many, including the court and the king. Nobody has been convicted yet so it seems a bit premature. Though this action shows that the royal court has not a lot of faith in what will happen next. Perhaps rightly so.

I suppose it makes the court look pro-active. That it was the king withdrawing the title distances him even further from the mess, which is a sensible harm-reduction policy. If Cristina would have given up the title herself the sentiment would most likely be 'why didn't she give up her HRH too?' While now she seems to be punished and humiliated which may apease some of the Spanish public for now.

I can't help but feel sorry for the family. They must have suffered a lot these last years and the list of humiliations is not over yet. Of course it is self-inlicted, but still... I am sure that many in Spain and elsewhere will be gloating over this but I don't think it wise to beat somebody who is already down.

Last edited:
I don't understand why she does not give up her succession rights and her infanta title herself and be plain mrs. Urdangarin.

Maybe/hopefully that this will be the next step after her conviction

Last edited:
This is not something that has been decided in 1 week. This is a "war" Juan Carlos began and Felipe continued.

From the Royal House, they have always asked the Infanta a gesture, a waiver ... something that shows she regrets, she has done the wrong thing and has damaged the Crown. But she always refused.

She had to know that if she did not renounce the succession rights, something that has been asked from many sectors of Spanish society, in the end the king would do all he can do, take the noble title.

Now her lawyer tries to sell to the press that she has sent a letter to his brother relinquishing the title... when surely she knew what was going to happen. The lawyer wants to use this to clean up her image, when we all know that she still refuses to do the real important gesture, legally dependent on her.

Her husband is now officialy mr. Urdangarin
Dutch press reports that the stripping of the Parma de Mallorca title is mend to put pressure on Cristina to give up her succession rights and her title of Infanta (Princess of Spain) herself and become mrs Christina Borbon otherwise the Royal House will be forced to announce that publicly

Is that technically possible for her to do? I would assume there would be a law needed for that, or a decree at least. I know that in the Netherlands that would be impossible as parlement would need to get involved. Would it mean she would renounce her own succession rights only or also those of her children?

Giving up succession rights WHEN she is convicted may be sensible, as would be the withdrawal of the ducal title. Forcing her to change her name to Cristina de Borbon: I do not see the point. Can it actually be done, legally speaking? I don't recall that it ever happened before in the history of royalty, save during the French revolution and I am not sure if the situation is that desperate yet.

And again: she is not convicted yet, though with such actions the king obviously does convict his sister before the judge does. I suppose it puts the throne in a more comfortable position for now and it may be a pragmatic and sensible move, but at what price? I think highly of the new king and queen, but this action before any guilt is legally proven is not very edifying IMHO though I am sure it will be a popular move.

Last edited:
The Royal House has done everything they could do.

She can renounce her dynastic rights, but that is a personal decision.

The other option is that the Parliament would remove the rights, but that would require a law was passed, and probably only be done if she is judged and condemned and she does not resign voluntarily.

I think her children will retain their succession rights.. they cannot be renounced [on their behalf], by her.. also why should the 'sins of the father, be visited on the children' ?

Given all the damage that the NOOS scandal has caused the Spanish Crown this can only be a positive step in repairing some of the damage,King Felipe is doing something I doubt his father would have done if he were still the monarch.

He was never really a Duke in his own right,his wife was is a Spanish Infanta and held the title of Duchess from 1997-2015.

All in all I think it was the best negotiated decision: revoking her position on the succession list would have been too much... So this is the best Felipe could do.. And if I am not mistaken, there has been rumours of complaints coming from the people of Palma about Cristina still having her title...

Yes I remember those too (Palma residents complaining). And in their place I would be complaining too probably.

Still, they could have waited until after the trial. Nobody is legally proven guilty yet. That is what should count in a state of law, which Spain is. Presumption of Innocence is something that is written in both EU as Spanish law.

However, I do not know how the situation in Spain is and perhaps it was needed to throw a piece of meat to the wolves. I am sure the kings popularity rating will go further up and he will be applauded for this action by most. That he distances himself from this mess is a good thing for the monarchy.

Marty91charmed said:
All in all I think it was the best negotiated decision: revoking her position on the succession list would have been too much... So this is the best Felipe could do..

You may have hit the nail on the head here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom