Infanta Cristina, Iñaki & Family, News & Events, Part 15 (March 2011 - Sep. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think Felipe is thinking his mother loves all her children and grand children.

I don't think they are scape goats I do think they got greedy and greed will do you in every time.

Well, I say congratulations to little Irene on her first communion and I am pleased that Queen Sofia attended the event and was photographed in that group - Irene and the other children should be protected from all of this as much as possible and for things to be as normal as possible for them.

Congratulations to Irene upon her First Holy Communion. :flowers:

Irene has gotten so grown up now! She's adorable and I love her Communion dress and the way her hair has been styled. It's nice that we got a photo but I'm a bit disappointed that Juan Carlos didn't attend. It seems that he is rather distant from his grandchildren, but it's lovely that Sofia clearly cares about them a lot, and I've always thought she has a particularly close bond with Irene.

The corruption case isn't the children's fault, and it's a shame that the press is being harsh about them. I've gotten the impression the Spanish press is one of the worst when it comes to negativity about the royals. I hope the children are able to live a fairly normal life in Geneva and are enjoying school.

Thanks for the photos!
Infanta Christina's family appears to be tight-knit. It is unfortunate that King Juan Carlos did not wish to attend.
Considering the situation I doubt he could have done it if he wanted :eek:

What a beautiful family! All of the children are so big now... I can't believe that all of the boys are teenagers and Irene is almost 10. When I first started following royalty, the boys were about 8, 6, and 4, and Irene was less than 2 years old.

I'm glad that the children appear to be happy and very loved, despite all that's been going on in their lives and their parents' lives over the past four years. They certainly appear to have a tight support network.

Why didn't King Juan Carlos or King Felipe and his family attend? Is it because being associated with Cristina and Iñaki at this point would be harmful and seen very negatively in the press and by the Spanish people?

While I have no problem at all with Sofia showing her solidarity and her presence at her grandchildren's communion, I don't understand why she has to do it by posing for an exclusive picture for HOLA. Irene is a private person and should stay away from the press as far as possible, Cristina is not a member of the SRF any longer and should not put herself - and her children - willingly into the focus of the media by agreeing to such a photo. Why?

Regarding Juan Carlos, why couldn't he have attended even if he wanted? He does what he wants anyway. As I said, maybe he was there but didn't want to pose for a gossip magazine with the family but maybe he wasn't because he had more important things on his personal agenda.

Having said that, so far JC has attended all his grandchildren's communion as far as I can remember, but that was when he was king and it was the sensible thing to do, and he may be closer to his male/older grandchildren anyway.

I don't think that JC was ever a proper practicing Roman Catholic. So an occasion of great importance as a grandchild's First Holy Communion would not really cause him to go out of his way anymore to attend. When he was king, sure it would be a great photo op. But now, he would not care. His personal new life is more important to him. He has the money to lead the life he wants and will now do it. I honestly think he will enjoy himself now to the best of his ability without any pressure from citizens or government. Best of all worlds for self-centered him. Sofia is a family person and devote RC. She would never miss honoring her grandchild's religious step.

Did HOLA agree to pay Cristina and Inaki for publishing photo? I know they are famous for doing so with other members of royal families? Just curious.

To be as blunt as possible, if attendance at a Catholic religious rite were contingent upon how devout/observant a person was, Royal Catholic religious ceremonies would be virtually unattended. Just like in Britain and other countries, Royals who are rarely seen in church on normal occasions always attend such basic milestones as christenings and weddings.

Juan Carlos is no better or worse a Catholic than the pretender king of Italy or Albert of Monaco in this regard. Besides, he always attends important papal ceremonies at the Vatican, always.

It's no secret that Cristina seemed to be his favorite, I doubt he is snubbing her. And he seems to adore all his grandchildren. Perhaps he was not feeling well.

Last edited:
I don't think that JC was ever a proper practicing Roman Catholic. So an occasion of great importance as a grandchild's First Holy Communion would not really cause him to go out of his way anymore to attend. When he was king, sure it would be a great photo op. But now, he would not care. His personal new life is more important to him. He has the money to lead the life he wants and will now do it. I honestly think he will enjoy himself now to the best of his ability without any pressure from citizens or government. Best of all worlds for self-centered him. Sofia is a family person and devote RC. She would never miss honoring her grandchild's religious step.

Did HOLA agree to pay Cristina and Inaki for publishing photo? I know they are famous for doing so with other members of royal families? Just curious.

That's a good point - my guess is probably. Otherwise, it's as Duke of Marmalade said, why on earth would they invite the press into their children's lives???

The Urdangarin children are all so lovely, I miss them so much. I hope little Irene had a great time on her special day. She was so pretty.

JC's absence speaks for itself. I guess it was not as much fun as a F1 GP...:whistling:

The Urdangarin children are all so lovely, I miss them so much. I hope little Irene had a great time on her special day. She was so pretty.

JC's absence speaks for itself. I guess it was not as much fun as a F1 GP...:whistling:

Was he really not there or did he just not want to be in the tabloid photos?

To be as blunt as possible, if attendance at a Catholic religious rite were contingent upon how devout/observant a person was, Royal Catholic religious ceremonies would be virtually unattended. Just like in Britain and other countries, Royals who are rarely seen in church on normal occasions always attend such basic milestones as christenings and weddings.

I am not sure if that is true. Maybe they regard their attendance as private? In the Netherlands that is the case at least. I have never seen any pictures of them attending church, but it is known that they did and do. The Dutch king apparently had (still has maybe) a bible study group with friends that met/meets at his house every once and a while.

Parents tend to forgive their own children rather quicker than other people do. And perhaps they agree with king Constantine and tell themselves that the whole thing is the fault of an ambitious public prosecutor and the press.

I don't think we can blame parents for sticking to their children. But still, this photo should not have been released to the press. A photo of the queen with just her grandchildren would have been better perhaps.

The photos were taken by news agencies that sold them exclusive to Hola magazine.

April 30 was the birthday of Miguel, on 1 and 2 May holiday in Madrid ... so the visit of Queen Sofia was expected by the press, with or without First Communion. And the Urdangarín have paparazzi around when they can have news.

There is only one family photo, which was allowed because they knew they had paparazzi around, but is not a paid photoshoot... the other are paparazzi photos of people in and out of the church or the house.

Last edited:
Isn't a granddaughter more important than F1 GP?

Isn't a granddaughter more important than F1 GP?

Everyone in this world has different ways, loves and egos. It is what makes it all so interesting. We all pick and choose what rules and laws we want to follow. Some decisions good some bad. What I think is extremely important in my life, others would laugh at because they don't agree. Life!

I wonder what gift send to her the brother :whistling:

Don't be so sure Winnie even siblings don't' speak always each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
i applaud what felipe has done removing cristina's title. it's a bit late to have done it, but better late than never.
what an undignified behaviour, on the part of cristina, to tell her lawyer to tell the press that "it was her who refused the title to not dishonour the institution that is the royal family" - which the household had to deny! all very unroyal, but in this case... their behaviour has been utterly unroyal in any case, so she's just keeping with her tradition :)
i remember a time when she or her lawyer said she was not going to give up her rights "as that would have been an acknowledgement that she has done something wrong", when everyone just knew about her involvement in a corruption case...

Let's hope King Felipe and his family sent a lovely gift and also had a chance to speak with her.

I personally believe that the king and his sister have been talking privately all along. Just because the nosy media isn't apprised of the conversations, doesn't mean they aren't happening. Even siblings with differing opinions speak to each other.

If the translation of the article is correct then the comment about the Princess of Asturias and Irene is great news. As unfortunate as it is with the legal proceedings for the Infanta Cristina and her husband , the families are apparently then still keeping contact. Great especially for the children.

What sad is that? Corina has to right to moove and me not?

So, how is the trial going? Has it ended? I'm a bit taken aback that Cristina is appearing on a work schedule again!

So, how is the trial going? Has it ended? I'm a bit taken aback that Cristina is appearing on a work schedule again!

well, this is not on her role as a royal, but on her role with the aga khan foundation, ie. her job after she was dinged from any royal duties.

she's clearly not looking very happy in that picture... one can sense the tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom