Infanta Cristina, Iñaki & Family, News & Events, Part 15 (March 2011 - Sep. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe they are forced to come back? has Inaki resigned from his job at telefonica? i would deem it impossible that JC leaves the family out in the open without money or housing ... must be stubborness for the palma's end. they could have had a life in london, closer to spain, with all the relatives around there.

i agree, it will be horrific for the children, their dad being labelled a criminal with or without conviction.

What an incredible decision. Let's hope the children settle in and the school officials protect them.

It seems that the Infanta and Iñaki have thought that they have to sacrifice the whole family, to support the father... :confused:

When they were in Barcelona, the children were locked in the house and covered their faces when they saw the photographers,family even was booed at an airport. If that's the life they want to give their children, is a terribly selfish attitude. The children will go to a school where everyone knows the scandal of their father, and I really believe that they will suffer. Older kids are almost teenagers, the situation in Spain with this topic is very tense and critical ... I think it is impossible for children to escape the attacks and jokes of the classmates, or comments from the press and the people on the street.

If they wanted to leave Washington and be closer to family and Spain, they could have installed in London or Paris. Or if the parents wanted to return to Spain, they could send the older children to boarding school in London as their cousins.​​

Back to live in Barcelona, also returned to the house of the scandal and think they can have a normal life as before, is a totally unrealistic thinking.

They go to live in the USA, to protect from the legal court process, (diplomacy job) not to protect from the anormal life they have now in Spain, because that scandal ...

I thought from the article that this was just a temporary leave of absence from Telefonica while the court case got underway.

I am assuming Inaki and Cristina did not make the decision lightly regarding the children. I'm going to speculate that they consulted with at least the two older ones, consulted with the school regarding the childrens' treatment at school, and consulted with some of the parents of their peers.

Boarding school in a neighboring country is always an option.

I don't think this is a decision I would have made under the circumstances (but from what I am reading there's many decisions on the part of the Urdangarins that I'd like to think I would never have made. :whistling:), but I have to assume they made a reasoned decision.

Christina and Inaki's children are going to be under an incredible amount of stress for the next few years regardless of where they live. There's no way the eldest boy, at least, doesn't already know pretty much everything that's going on and everything that's being said about his family and the younger kids are surely aware of the extraordinary strain their parents are under. I doubt life has been "normal" in DC for quite some time.
Presumably, Christina and Inaki have a solid base of friends in Barcelona who either believe Inaki is innocent or are willing to support their close friends regardless. They'll also be closer to Inaki's family and to Infanta Elena and Queen Sofia. Christina and Inaki may feel that the benefits of this additional support, and the emotional comfort of being home, outweigh the downside.

I hope for the sake of the whole family, that they made the right decision. Anyway, they have demonstrated recently, that no matter what, the family sticks together.
Are they wrong?Are they right?
A family is a very tight cohesive bond.
May God protect them.

From Reuters August 28, 2012:
Inaki Urdangarin, who also sits on the boards of several of the Spanish company's subsidiaries in Latin America, said in a document seen by Reuters that he had decided to take an extended leave of absence so the case against him would not "have any negative result for the Telefonica group". Urdangarin added that he intends "to return to carry out new activities in the future" with Telefonica. Telefonica declined to comment.

I doubt Inaki would give up a high paying job or take a leave of absence, if he wasn't forced to do so. My guess is that Telefonica pushed him out and he had no choice but to leave.

Perhaps they are back in Barcelona so Cristina can be closer to her employer. Or maybe Inaki is required to be back in the country now that the trial time is closer. They own a house in Barcelona, so perhaps that is all they can afford to do. I'm amazed that some suggest they should just move to London when it is the most expensive city in the world.

Although there is trouble with the press in Barcelona, I agree with those who say that they are closer to family and friends who can help them through these hard time. I'm sure this isn't just some selfish decision made without regard for their children, but one that is forced by circumstances.

Last edited:
Is it their house of Barcelona they bought for x million euros ?

I doubt Inaki would give up a high paying job or take a leave of absence, if he wasn't forced to do so. My guess is that Telefonica pushed him out and he had no choice but to leave.

Given that Inaki is not charged at this stage, I dont think he would have been pushed out at this stage, at least not without the permission of the King. And I highly doubt that the King himself would initiate the return of the family to Spain at this stage, its highly controversial and will drag the monarchy into the topic even more.

Perhaps they are back in Barcelona so Cristina can be closer to her employer. Or maybe Inaki is required to be back in the country now that the trial time is closer. They own a house in Barcelona, so perhaps that is all they can afford to do. I'm amazed that some suggest they should just move to London when it is the most expensive city in the world.

Although there is trouble with the press in Barcelona, I agree with those who say that they are closer to family and friends who can help them through these hard time. I'm sure this isn't just some selfish decision made without regard for their children, but one that is forced by circumstances.

I rather think its a Palma decision, I doubt the rest of the SRF who depend on public image are too happy about it. They clearly expect Inaki to be charged and want to be in Spain where it all happens with kids in school, they want to go through all this with the support of close family & friends and in their own home. Either Cristina didnt want to stay in the US without Inaki or they couldnt afford to stay there after Inaki would have been charged & suspended.

Re London, although its such an expensive city, Cristina has friends & family there who certainly could "provide" housing & jobs, I think even the Kings would consider doing so in order to keep the Palmas out of Spain.

On one hand I find it very consequent that Cristina stands by her man no matter what for better or worse but I dont know how much arrogance or stupidity or selfishness plays a part here.

King of Spain's scandal-hit son-in-law steps down at Telefonica | Reuters

The return of the Palma family seems like a full-scale provocation towards the institution, represented by the King and the Prince. How to solve a problem like Cristina & Inaki?
http://www.vanitatis.com/casas-reales/2012/08/29/otro-desafio-de-inaki-urdangarin-al-rey-20335/

Cristina & Inaki, back in Barcelona
http://www.vanitatis.com/fotos/album_2012/lecturas201208295172_grande.jpg

Last edited:
I think their return has to do with the proximity of the closure of the inquest. Iñaki would have to be in Spain right now and as a family I think it´s the time when they should stay together. It´s very far from the US to Spain.
We don´t know anything about their financial situation, so it´s easy to say Go to London and live there.
Nor do I think they are being selfish or wanting to create situations against the RF.
After all, tehy were there this summer and contrary to everybody´s opinion that the couple would "defy" the King by going to Marivent, just the four children went there for two days. After that they had their holidays in another place, surrounded by the Urdangarin family.
For God´s sake, let´s give this family a bit of credibility. After all, scandals in Royal families are there for all to see i.e.Harry in Vegas. This family has been dragged in the mud of opinions and hypothesis and it´s not only because of the so-called Noos affair.
I have witnessed in my life situations where people were accused, judged and thrown in the waste bin before anything could be proven. Some were guilty but others weren´t.

y
For God´s sake, let´s give this family a bit of credibility. After all, scandals in Royal families are there for all to see i.e.Harry in Vegas. This family has been dragged in the mud of opinions and hypothesis and it´s not only because of the so-called Noos affair.

I don't give this family any credibility. At all. And yes, it is because the "Noos" affair. An affair of stealing, diverting and fraud of tax payers moneys by the husband of an Infanta of Spain. A woman born with a silver spoon in her mouth and a lifetime of privilege with only one committment asked of her - a committment to her country. She may not being investigated, but no one in Spain believes she was unaware where the millions were coming from.

There is a huge difference between Harry's antics and what Urdangarin is accused of. Harry has done nothing against the law while Urgandarin is being investigated for serious criminal charges. Please do not compare both as "royal scandals" - it's unethical.

From your posts you seem to care a lot about the Palmas but little or nothing about the future of the monarchy in Spain. Unlike you, I'm really concerned how these two selfish and greedy people will impact the future head of state in my country.

Obviously Cristina and her husband don't give a damn about it.

Last edited:
y

I don't give this family any credibility. At all. And yes, it is because the "Noos" affair. An affair of stealing, diverting and fraud of tax payers moneys by the husband of an Infanta of Spain. A woman born with a silver spoon in her mouth and a lifetime of privilege with only one committment asked of her - a committment to her country. She may not being investigated, but no one in Spain believes she was unaware where the millions were coming from.

There is a huge difference between Harry's antics and what Urdangarin is accused of. Harry has done nothing against the law while Urgandarin is being investigated for serious criminal charges. Please do not compare both as "royal scandals" - it's unethical.

From your posts you seem to care a lot about the Palmas but little or nothing about the future of the monarchy in Spain. Unlike you, I'm really concerned how these two selfish and greedy people will impact the future head of state in my country.

Obviously Cristina and her husband don't give a damn about it.

I agree with you about the comparison of Prince Harry and Urdangarin. One will get thrown in jail and one gets a facebook page with other soldiers saluting naked. Really no comparison.

As far as the future of the Spanish monarchy, my personal belief is that if Felipe & Letizia keep their heads down and continue to do their jobs as they are now, it could be that they will come out of all this smelling like roses and looking like the saviors of the family. I agree also, that the Urdangarins don't seem to care about the future of the monarchy, they have always struck me as caring about themselves first.

It is King Juan Carlos that is responsible for the future of the monarchy and he has not been willing to live a life, particularly his family life, that brings confidence in his ethics or integrity. The Urdangarins have every right to live in Spain and even in their own house. The children will do well as long as there is a strong and loving family at home and a protective environment at school.
Perhaps the witch hunt going on in these pages should be put on hold until a verdict is reached and any sentencing and/or restitution issues are made public. I am assumiong that Spain does not have a ...shoot first and ask questions later... legal system so waiting for the case to move through the proper processes may give us answers as to the severity of the actions.

When times are tough you need the support of family and close friends. So, from that point of view, I can understand the family returning home.

Yes, I do care for the Palmas.Yes ,I do care for the SRF. I`m not Spanish, I am Brazilian.
I always thought that justice in my country was very fawlty, so I hoped that Spain which is a first world country would be a place where people are judged and then condemned or not.
I am very sorry for the state Spain is in now (economically speaking). We had very tough times along our history and it´s only lately that my country has achieved a stabler condition economically.
Right now, we are judging 36 people (politicians & others)for very high corruption.These people have been filmed, taped and shown robbing. Yet, they are still being judged by a proper court.
What I find umbearable is exactly this witch hunt upon this family. IMO it has a lot to do with the state of economics in Spain. But it´s not what Iñaki supposedly robbed that created this situation.
Yes, I like the Palmas because for years, I saw them with their children, living a simple life going to the public beach like other people, the Infanta picking up her children at school, Iñaki taking not only his children, but Elena´s children as well along for all sorts of things. Compared to people I know here who are rich they certainly didn´t live like millionaires. Nor did their Pedralbes house seemed to be a milionaire´s house.
If it is a sin to like them, I plead guilty.
I hope this family stays together no matter what. And IF he is condemned, yes he should pay for whAT HE DID. But not before.
And I do think Harry is a silly fool. Posing naked, dressed as a Nazi in a photo. His grandmother is after all the Queen of England.

Repeated meetings of the Palma family and King Juan Carlos at Zarzuela in July and following image campaign:
Inaki Urdangarin repeatedly visited the Zarzuela Palace in July to meet with the King and other members of the Royal Family, just before the Palma family decided to settle back in Barcelona.
The Infanta Cristina and her husband then hired the services of various image consultants who advised an image of austerity. As a result, house in Pedralbes, the so-called "palace" of over 2,000 square meters at a market price of around six million euros, is to be sold and changed into a rented house, much more modest located on the outskirts of Barcelona. The Dukes now show themselves driving the streets of Barcelona in a car that has already been used by Infanta Cristina twenty years ago.
Iaki Urdangarn se reuni varias veces en Zarzuela con el Rey antes de abandonar Telefnica

I was glad to see these photos of Juan. He has a timid smile which is a much better image than seeing him crying in that car.
As to Iñaki going to see the King several times, I interpret as to things that have to be discussed and said before the results of the trial.

Whatever this couple does will be criticized. If they kept living in their house of Pedralbes, they´de be defiant. If they go to a smaller place, they "want to appear Austere".
All those years I´ve seen the Urdangarins in magazines photos, videos, I´ve never seen them in luxurious cars. Yet now they say they go around in an "old car". Most of what has been said and claimed about them came from the press´s, implacable hunt.

The House of the King will go against photographers who take & publish pictures of the Urdangarin children when they are not with their parents (I guess as soon as the Dukes of Palma are with them, it makes them a public person, more difficult to go against.)

I hope that in the future at least the children will be left alone.

La infanta Cristina amenaza a los paparazzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom