Infanta Cristina, Iñaki & Family, News & Events, Part 15 (March 2011 - Sep. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I´m so happy that Infanta Cristina will be able to go Mallorca with her children and enjoy some summertime with her Mother and sister and nephews. It´ll be very good for the children´s morale and happiness.

Well, I´m happy the family can be in Barcelona and that the Infanta and her children will go to Marivent.IMO if they wait for whatever decision of the courts, it will probably be 2018 before they can come back....

Queen Sofia arrived in Mallorca on Sunday and drove to Marivent with Cristina's four children. Cristina apparently stayed behind in Barcelona with her husband. It is not known when she will join her family at Marivent. Meanwhile, the couple is reported to be more united than ever, with no signs of separation or divorce and Cristina believing in her husband's innocence.

Do you suppose Cristina's change of plans is meant to be a show of support for her husband?

That's a smart move of Cristina since nobody believes she is a dummy wife deceived by her husband.

Her attitude angers and confuses the press and the citizens... from the beginning she would have agreed to send the children with their grandmother, and avoid this confusion.

They should accept that they have not done well, and have a more humble attitude... but all they do is tighten and complicate matters.

... [snipped]

Note that when the Prince becomes King, the infantas Elena and Cristina would no longer have an official role. They would be in the situation infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita are now. Just would forward something that will happen anyway, for the good of all.
Yes, both Infantas should scale down their duties to a bare minimum. It is a thankless job. Crown Princely couple appears to do a wonderful job of politically marketing themselves and should do everything.

Last edited:
Please stick to the facts,any speculative posts will be removed.

The Urdangarin children only stayed for 2 days instead of the planned 7 days in Majorca and returned in order to celebrate Inaki's name day St. Ignatius with close friends & family in Barcelona

What? They woke up two days into the vacation and suddenly realized it was Inaki's name day? :lol:

I know the children are suffering, but with whom would they stay?
And, of course they probably suffer in the US as well.

I think the media pressure is much bigger in Spain than in the US. To see Juan cover his face when being followed by paparazzi in the car is really painful.

I don't really agree about the media being less pressure in the US. They are pretty much a mob when it comes to whatever person they are following. During the Tom Cruise divorce that little girl of his couldn't leave her home without the craziness.

LaRae

I don't really agree about the media being less pressure in the US. They are pretty much a mob when it comes to whatever person they are following. During the Tom Cruise divorce that little girl of his couldn't leave her home without the craziness.

LaRae

Tom Cruise is a superstar in the US, hardly anybody knows who Inaki or Cristina are, let alone their children.

The only photographers who may follow the Urdangarin family in the US are those hired by Spanish magazines.

Tom Cruise is a superstar in the US, hardly anybody knows who Inaki or Cristina are, let alone their children.

The only photographers who may follow the Urdangarin family in the US are those hired by Spanish magazines.

As an American, I completely concur. They will be hounded from time to time by
Spanish media unless they undertake intergalactic travel. Can anyone picture them living like the Jetsons or Lost in Space ("Danger! Danger! Miguel Urdangarin!) ;) I'm sorry to say that most Americans 1) cannot place Spain on a map; 2) don't realize that Spain is a monarchy, and 3) have ANY idea who Inaki and Cristina are, who their children are, and what the accusations are.

I believe that if Cristina keeps a low profile for the sake of her children and stays out of Spain, media interest even in Spain will decrease, although it won't go away completely. The issue here is relative anonymity and stability for the children. I think in both regards the U.S. is the best place. After three year those children are settled and it's very possible they, esp. little Irene considers herself quite American. She was only 4 when she moved to the States. If Cristina hates the U.S. or hates the idea of her children growing up American, I for one don't give a flying fig. I think the she should have considered that a long time ago.

Those photos of the children, especially the oldest, breaks my heart. I do understand the ire of the Spanish public, and the media interest, but surely for the sake of compassion, stay away from the children. In some ways, I see these kids as the biggest victims in all of this.

I think the media pressure is much bigger in Spain than in the US. To see Juan cover his face when being followed by paparazzi in the car is really painful.
I agree, the press/media does seem to put more pressure on them when they are in Spain. IMO, they should have left the children with Queen Sofia or in the US. I have to agree that most people (present company excluded of course) wouldn't know the Infanta and her family from any other family in DC. I would think they would want to stay as far away from this sort of pressure at any cost, even if it is staying in the US for a while.

As an American, I completely concur. They will be hounded from time to time by
Spanish media unless they undertake intergalactic travel. I'm sorry to say that most Americans 1) cannot place Spain on a map; 2) don't realize that Spain is a monarchy, and 3) have ANY idea who Inaki and Cristina are, who their children are, and what the accusations are.

I believe that if Cristina keeps a low profile for the sake of her children and stays out of Spain, media interest even in Spain will decrease, although it won't go away completely. The issue here is relative anonymity and stability for the children. I think in both regards the U.S. is the best place. After three year those children are settled and it's very possible they, esp. little Irene considers herself quite American. She was only 4 when she moved to the States. If Cristina hates the U.S. or hates the idea of her children growing up American, I for one don't give a flying fig. I think the she should have considered that a long time ago.

I agree 100%. Anyone here in America that I asked about this situation knew nothing except for one professor at University and he could care less. They are not news worthy here except for the extremely small Spanish press. And, even then, the Cubans and Mexicans are not interested. Cristina should put her children first at this time and stop being so self-centered. Her prestigious life has changed and will never be the same. Something she hasn't really accepted yet.

I agree with most of you Americans , but I don´t believe Irene considers herself an American by now. Those children are Spanish, they speak Spanish at home and with themselves. I doubt Irene or her siblings have forgotten how happy they were in Mallorca.
Still, it´s terrible the press frenzy should make a kid like Juan cry and his brother Pablo have such a pitiful face.
I don´t think Cristina is selfish or is thinking of her prestigious life. Have you stop ped to think that she herself might be homesick and pine for her family?
They all are human beings.

I agree with most of you Americans , but I don´t believe Irene considers herself an American by now. Those children are Spanish, they speak Spanish at home and with themselves. I doubt Irene or her siblings have forgotten how happy they were in Mallorca.
Still, it´s terrible the press frenzy should make a kid like Juan cry and his brother Pablo have such a pitiful face.
I don´t think Cristina is selfish or is thinking of her prestigious life. Have you stop ped to think that she herself might be homesick and pine for her family?
They all are human beings.

As an American, I am going by other children who come to the U.S. Children very quickly acclimate to their surroundings, and their peers despite the retention of their language at home and their parents' ambivalence to their new life. Irene has only attended school in the United States. They have now all reached the age where peers are more important than parents. Of course I have no way of knowing what these children think, but after seeing those horrible photos I will go out on a limb and guess they'd rather be in D.C. right now than Spain. :cool:

As for Cristina, I don't care how homesick she is. Children must be put first at all costs. I can hardly bare to look at those photos. If they are in Spain that media attention will be constant for them. As for being with the extended family, the children had two days with the extended family, which was abruptly curtailed and Cristina none. On top of it the continual media blitz. Who would want to go back to that? In the U.S. Cristina's 13 year old son can turn on the local news without hearing all about his father and the case. He can ride his bike out with his friends without the stares and the strange looks. In Barcelona they have to remain in their house with the blinds down and the curtains drawn. That's no existence for a child.

It remains my firm opinion that for these children, under these circumstances, they should remain in the U.S. Life in the U.S. is not a terrible existence.

Winnie, I completely agree that no matter what the outcome, life has changed irreparably for Cristina. The faster she figures this out the better for her and her family.

Last edited:
I feel for these children and for this family.They are suffering beyond proportion.

i imagine the children are well protected, they have a full shedule of fun and work that will occupy them and if the adults talk at all about their problems in front of them it will be on a level that they can understand.

I feel for these children and for this family.They are suffering beyond proportion.

I feel sorry for the kids, specially the older ones who are likely to hear what's going on in the press. I don't feel sorry for the Palmas, they have created this mess. A mess for which everyone is paying - their kids, QS and the SRH. Not to mention the loss of trust the alledged missapropriation of public moneys by Urdangarin is causing to the monarchy in Spain.

Cristina and her family should not have come back to Spain. At least until Urdangarin is indicted and SRF makes the decision to permanently sideline the Palmas from oficial duties, she should have practiced much needed discretion and less selfishness. Did she really think she was going to be embraced as the prodigal returned daughter?

Her reputation in Spain is gone. I heard in a serious current affairs program a comment that some people insulted her when they recognised her at the airport. The best she can do for her kids, her mother and the institution she has a duty to, is to lay low and hope that with time she'll be able to have a normal life like any other private citizen.

The worse is yet to come for her husband. It's not much to ask that her and her family give up a "few royal perks" considering the seriousness of the charges.

Last edited:
As an American, I am going by other children who come to the U.S. Children very quickly acclimate to their surroundings, and their peers despite the retention of their language at home and their parents' ambivalence to their new life. Irene has only attended school in the United States. They have now all reached the age where peers are more important than parents. Of course I have no way of knowing what these children think, but after seeing those horrible photos I will go out on a limb and guess they'd rather be in D.C. right now than Spain. :cool:

As for Cristina, I don't care how homesick she is. Children must be put first at all costs. I can hardly bare to look at those photos. If they are in Spain that media attention will be constant for them. As for being with the extended family, the children had two days with the extended family, which was abruptly curtailed and Cristina none. On top of it the continual media blitz. Who would want to go back to that? In the U.S. Cristina's 13 year old son can turn on the local news without hearing all about his father and the case. He can ride his bike out with his friends without the stares and the strange looks. In Barcelona they have to remain in their house with the blinds down and the curtains drawn. That's no existence for a child.

It remains my firm opinion that for these children, under these circumstances, they should remain in the U.S. Life in the U.S. is not a terrible existence.

Winnie, I completely agree that no matter what the outcome, life has changed irreparably for Cristina. The faster she figures this out the better for her and her family.

Well said.

I don't see any sign whatsoever that Christina is unaware that her life has changed or that she expected to be embraced by the Spanish public. She came home for a low key vacation with the children, which she has every right to do.

I don't see any sign whatsoever that Christina is unaware that her life has changed or that she expected to be embraced by the Spanish public. She came home for a low key vacation with the children, which she has every right to do.
I certainly agree with you. Spain is their mother country and have every right to spend time there and even move back permanently if they choose. People make much worse mistakes than Inaki and Christina. As I understand it the final verdict has not been handed down yet. People have a right to redeem them selves and make things right. Until we have the final word in this mess let's not treat them as war criminals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom