Infanta Cristina and Family Move to Washington, DC: Autumn 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also curious about security. I assume that they are guarded in Spain. I assume the Secret Service will provide guards for them here. Am I wrong?

No, the Secret Service would not protect her. They guard U.S. officials and foreign heads-of-state and VIP visitors (like when the Dalai Lama visits). They don't guard foreign visitors who live here.

Most foreign resident VIPs have their own security. For example, I have a neighbor who is a former president from a Latin American country. Soldiers from that country stand guard and drive him around.

Same with Queen Noor. Every time I've seen her, she's had Middle Eastern bodyguards around her. When Tony Blair's son lived here for a while, he had British guards. And so on.

I imagine Elena would bring Spanish bodyguards with her, who would coordinate with the Secret Service, the Diplomatic Security Service, and other agencies.

(As a U.S. taxpayer, I'd be FURIOUS to hear that I was paying to guard a Spanish princess who decided to live here for her husband's career!)

(As a U.S. taxpayer, I'd be FURIOUS to hear that I was paying to guard a Spanish princess who decided to live here for her husband's career!)

If I were american, I'd agree with you. But I'm sad she is leaving Spain, it will become more difficult to see her with TSRF. :sad:

Why in God's name should a princess have to work! what is going on? what happened to our monarchies, have they do become the Beourgeoisie working class?

Why would US taxpayers pay for the Infanta and her family's security if she were to bring her own security with her from Spain? Wouldn't taxpayers in Spain foot the bill for that?

I highly doubt that too. I wouldn't make any sense. I am happy to hear they are moving to DC. Maybe we could accidently bump into each other. LOL!

Why would US taxpayers pay for the Infanta and her family's security if she were to bring her own security with her from Spain? Wouldn't taxpayers in Spain foot the bill for that?

You misunderstood. If the U.S. Secret Service were guarding her, U.S. taxpayers would pay for it. (Which, as a U.S. taxpayer, I'd resent a lot.)

You misunderstood. If the U.S. Secret Service were guarding her, U.S. taxpayers would pay for it. (Which, as a U.S. taxpayer, I'd resent a lot.)

Thank you for the clarification because the earlier statement was somewhat puzzling. Clearly U.S. taxpayers needn't worry. Cristina and her family are coming to the U.S. because her husband has been given a job offer. She is not the Head of State or Government of Spain, nor coming as Spain's Ambassador to the U.S., so it's not likely that her security personnel will have to coordinate with U.S. Secret Service. I am guessing, however that she will have some sort of security with her and her family.

according to maria angeles alcazar for la vanguardia, the infanta and family will live in Bethesda, Maryland and have registered their kids at the french lyceum (they are studying now at the french lyceum in spain).

What will happen to their house in Barcelona whilst they´re in the US?

I don't know if it was asked before, but what about the acts that "require" the whole royal family, will they attend to them? I'm thinking acts like the 12nd October and so on...

May their stay in Washington be a happy one.

I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area and I also have a condo in Washington. It is a nice place to live with many world class museums and fine restaturants. The shopping is not bad either. We are also only 4 hours by car to New York City. I am sure they will enjoy their stay.

I saw in a magazine about a week ago (not sure but I think it was Point De Vue) pictures of them moving in DC and Rosario of Bulgaria was pictured too helping them.

I´ve been to Washington and I know it´s a fine city. But I also know that moving away to another country it´s always an experience . Especially with children. I know it from my own experience.
Sereta, do you remember which magazine it was.? I´d love to see those pictures.

So if they moved to DC because of Inaki's work, what will Cristina do in the US? Does she have a new job there too?

So if they moved to DC because of Inaki's work, what will Cristina do in the US? Does she have a new job there too?

She still works for La Caixa foundtation. I'm sure La Caixa would create a position for her no matter where she is.

I´ve been to Washington and I know it´s a fine city. But I also know that moving away to another country it´s always an experience . Especially with children. I know it from my own experience.
Sereta, do you remember which magazine it was.? I´d love to see those pictures.
It was either Point de Vue or Hola. I can't remember which. Sorry. I was browsing through several magazines at the magazine stand.

She still works for La Caixa foundtation. I'm sure La Caixa would create a position for her no matter where she is.
Hi donnaK. What exactly is LaCaixa Foundation. I mean what do they do and what does Cristina do for them that she can work anywhere?

Wow, I suppose it's going to be a wonderful adventure for the children. Two years. This has probably been answered or asked already but..

Will/Could the Duke and Duchess participate in events in the US as members of the royal family, like an intermitent visit. Strengthen relations between Spain and the US?

Also...Will they continue attending events in Spain I mean signature events??

Hi donnaK. What exactly is LaCaixa Foundation. I mean what do they do and what does Cristina do for them that she can work anywhere?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Caixa

Spains leading savings bank and and its third financial institution, with a network of over 5,500 branches, more than 8,100 ATMs, a workforce in excess of 27,000 and more than 10.7 million customers.

:flowers:

Wow, I suppose it's going to be a wonderful adventure for the children. Two years. This has probably been answered or asked already but..

Will/Could the Duke and Duchess participate in events in the US as members of the royal family, like an intermitent visit. Strengthen relations between Spain and the US?

Also...Will they continue attending events in Spain I mean signature events??
:flowers:

Yes they will be back and forth to Spain and I am pretty sure they will still attened state visits and official visits if they have the time. I also think they will participate in visits made by the King, Queen and Cp couple to the states as well as representing Spain in the US.
All with time we will see.

Sereta, I doubt that they would have a DC location; however, the part of La Caixa that the Infanta works with is more like a social advocacy foundation than a typical US bank so I would assume that she would be able to continue her work remotely with frequent travel back to Barcelona. I also remember reading that she might start doing more work with the GAVI Alliance, an organization with a base in DC with which La Caixa has ties.

Btw, the article in this weeks issue of Semana says mentions that their house in Barcelona will remain open since Cristina will be returning frequently for her job.

Have the Infanta & Duke arrived in the US ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom