Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 2 (2015 - 2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I assume they will. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take...
Tue prosecution had said they would ask for an inmediate inprisonment if the verdict was above 6 years.

Seeing other cases, I think that , Iñaki can appeal, and he can request that it suspend the jail until a superior court decides on the sentence. But seeing what is happening in Spain with other similar cases, the judges are imposing the criterion of exemplarity, I am sure that they will not accept the suspension of the jail , he will enter in the jail. he could enter prison in three months or less....

As a citizen of a country where many rich and influent people are taking, legally or illegally, financial advantages from their position and in the same time are advocating for middle and lower classes making efforts to save the economy of their country, I can only applaude when such frauds are punished with severe sentences. My thought go however to the children, who never requested to involved in all this mess.

Honestly, I find even 6 years to be excessive. I thought 3-4 years plus a much larger fine would have been more in-line with the crime. But I guess that's because I've seen plenty of cases of rape or murder that get 6 years or less in my country.

OK. Now we know Inaki is going to prison. What I am wondering is just where he will be imprisoned at. Because of who he is will he be accommodated according to his previous status with the Spanish royal family or put into the general population of a prison?

I can just imagine the ribbing and taunts (the lesser of evils in a prison) of the general population of a prison with Inaki amongst them would garner. I would think they'd take all of that into consideration before deciding where to send him. Of course, I have no idea of what Spanish prisons are like and am hoping someone here would know.

OK. Now we know Inaki is going to prison. What I am wondering is just where he will be imprisoned at. Because of who he is will he be accommodated according to his previous status with the Spanish royal family or put into the general population of a prison?

I can just imagine the ribbing and taunts (the lesser of evils in a prison) of the general population of a prison with Inaki amongst them would garner. I would think they'd take all of that into consideration before deciding where to send him. Of course, I have no idea of what Spanish prisons are like and am hoping someone here would know.
Some media is speculating he could go to Badajoz's prison, close to the Portuguese border. If so, it makes sense that Cristina and kids are planning to move to Lisbon as many are announcing:
Urdangarin podría ir a la prisión de Badajoz: una cárcel tranquila donde limpiará zonas comunes - 20minutos.es
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.20minutos.es%2Fnoticia%2F2963030%2F0%2Furdangarin-prision-badajoz-carcel-tranquila-limpiara-zonas-comunes%2F%3Futm_source%3DTwitter-20minutos%26utm_medium%3DSocial%26utm_campaign%3DPostlink&edit-text=&act=url

According to this, it's a small, "quiet" jail.

Last edited:
As a citizen of a country where many rich and influent people are taking, legally or illegally, financial advantages from their position and in the same time are advocating for middle and lower classes making efforts to save the economy of their country, I can only applaude when such frauds are punished with severe sentences. My thought go however to the children, who never requested to involved in all this mess.

My feelings precisely. I think this mess has already done lasting emotional damage to them, and they are the only innocents here

In their brief lives they have lived in Spain, the US, Switzerland and now are being uprooted again to Portugal to be near papa in prison?

Do you think there will be chances for a reconciliation for the family?

Do you think there will be chances for a reconciliation for the family?

I think in private Juan Carlos and Sofia must have a good relationship with Infanta Cristina, who is still their daughter.

I believe that Felipe and Letizia will have a cordial relationship with Cristina and will maintain a connection with her in private. But in public they will be far apart forever.

I think in private Juan Carlos and Sofia must have a good relationship with Infanta Cristina, who is still their daughter.

I believe that Felipe and Letizia will have a cordial relationship with Cristina and will maintain a connection with her in private. But in public they will be far apart forever.

Of course as a parent and grandparent, they would always love their family. But there will always now be a difference. It will come into view when the grandchildren grow and are constantly reminded thru school mates or media about their parents. To watch a child either get withdrawn or defiant over something their own parents did is an awful burden for a grandparent to witness. I have always thought the two adults deserve punishment for their actions, but the children who are 100% innocent will also pay. They are the ones who need prayers.

Finally a sentense, after so many years! I find the infanta's sentense not surprising and in accordance to the facts.

Honestly, I find even 6 years to be excessive. I thought 3-4 years plus a much larger fine would have been more in-line with the crime. But I guess that's because I've seen plenty of cases of rape or murder that get 6 years or less in my country.

I agree. 6+years is quite a lot, esp. considering that much of his life has been on hold for 6 years or so. And indeed, we also have murderers here who are free in less than 6 years. Though for the monarchy this is not a bad outcome. It would have been more problematic if hegot away with it and had a light punishment.

Diego Torres has been sentenced to 8 years.

I am sure there will be an appreal.

-
Let's hope for the children's sake that the Badajoz/Lisbon story is correct. Considering the options it seems like the best scenario. Close enough to their father to visit him often while there will probably be less nasty looks/remarks at school etc. in Portugal.

What stupidity and what an awful prize to pay...

Last edited:
I'm glad that sentencing has finally been handed down. Although its quite disruptive to the family life, its understandable that Cristina and their children will be moving to Portugal. It will be easier to visit Daddy and that alone, maintains some kind of family solidarity in the worse of times.

These children are also learning first hand the hard way that when you do wrong, you face the consequences of your actions. Its a lesson that I think will serve them as they grow older and have their own adult lives. Its also a stark lesson in the fact that even with money and titles, wrongdoing can and will still have to be accounted for no matter who you are. They are also learning that everyone makes mistakes in life and if you love someone, you stick by them through thick and thin.

I wish them the best. If the family is strong enough, they will all stick together throughout all of the 6 years Inaki spends in prison.

I feel very sorry for the Urdangarin children and for Inaki's family that have all had to go through this,Queen Sofia will be a regular support to Cristina and her children if they move to Portugal.

Fair enough sentence. It would have been insane to give him 19 years.

Isn't Badajoz the territory of Christina's aunt Pilar? Even a family connection..

I wish them the best. If the family is strong enough, they will all stick together throughout all of the 6 years Inaki spends in prison.

Maybe Spanish posters can confirm how the system works in Spain because for example in Germany somebody like Inaki (type of crime, first time criminal etc) would do less than half of the time with good behaviour, like 1-2 years full time in prison, then only spending the night there, after that at home under curfew, the rest: pardon. I expect Inaki 'free' long before the six years, there are lots of options to accommodate his situation.

Will Cristina divorce Iñaki ? It is the only sensible thing to do to be consistent with her version that she has been lied to and deceived by her husband on the nature of his business transactions. Certainly he broke the trust that is expected from a husband to his wife.

it makes sense, the family has close ties to Portugal and the Aga Khan foundation has headquarters there.
The Infanta will have to money worries due to who her parents/connections.

Does Inaki have to go to a Spanish prison or can the authorities make a deal with another country? He'll have special treatment anyway, like a hotel that he can't leave.

I too feel sorry for the children of the couple. However, I'm not so sure that they will learn firm lessons from their parents' trial, considering that Infanta Cristina has been angry about this procedure all along and attacked Spain saying she never wanted to live there again etc. It appears Cristina has something of a martyr complex about what has happened and she might well maintain this attitude for the rest of her life. Of course she can't dispute the fact that her husband and father of her children has been found guilty in a court of law, but her sense of entitlement and being wronged may well be passed on to her children, even though we hope not.

I feel sad for Mrs Claire Liebart , Inaki's Mother born in Belgium.

I too feel sorry for the children of the couple. However, I'm not so sure that they will learn firm lessons from their parents' trial, considering that Infanta Cristina has been angry about this procedure all along and attacked Spain saying she never wanted to live there again etc. It appears Cristina has something of a martyr complex about what has happened and she might well maintain this attitude for the rest of her life. Of course she can't dispute the fact that her husband and father of her children has been found guilty in a court of law, but her sense of entitlement and being wronged may well be passed on to her children, even though we hope not.

I think your right it's that "it's not fair it wasn't my fault " attitude that she will carry to her grave.

Both have to pay a lot of money. Will they be able to do that or King Juan Carlos will pay for them.

I was surprised when I heard the length of Inaki's sentence because, like, others, I thought it seemed a bit too excessive. Whilst he has committed a crime, criminals who have done far worse deeds than Inaki have spent a much shorter amount of time in prison. Well, if he behaves himself, he'll most likely be let off and given a couple of years or so.
Those who I feel most sorry for in this mess are Christina and Inaki's children. They haven't got anything to do with the case but seem to be dragged in and labeled with their parents. It also appears that they have been moved around as they have lived in Spain, Geneva and now Portugal; which can't be good in the terms of friendships and education. I do hope that the NOOS case hasn't affected their mental well being too much.

Will Cristina divorce Iñaki ? It is the only sensible thing to do to be consistent with her version that she has been lied to and deceived by her husband on the nature of his business transactions. Certainly he broke the trust that is expected from a husband to his wife.

Mmm... that's not quite Cristina's position. In her mind, her husband has been unfairly treated and isn't guilty. How someone can think that after a 6 year trial where even her own brother has turned his back to them is beyond me. If there was anything minor about what they did, he would have gotten out a long time ago. Thankfully justice has been made, in some form or another. I don't believe for a minute that Cristina was not involved or didn't know about this, and even the judge questioned the result. But I think everyone knows nos what these two are made of - and losing their dignity, privileges and trust is probably the worse of punishments for two people who had it all.

I was surprised when I heard the length of Inaki's sentence because, like, others, I thought it seemed a bit too excessive. Whilst he has committed a crime, criminals who have done far worse deeds than Inaki have spent a much shorter amount of time in prison. Well, if he behaves himself, he'll most likely be let off and given a couple of years or so.
Those who I feel most sorry for in this mess are Christina and Inaki's children. They haven't got anything to do with the case but seem to be dragged in and labeled with their parents. It also appears that they have been moved around as they have lived in Spain, Geneva and now Portugal; which can't be good in the terms of friendships and education. I do hope that the NOOS case hasn't affected their mental well being too much.

Has there been any confirmation given that Cristina and the children will move to Portugal? I can't find anything other than articles stating it as fact with no sources to back it up, (which doesn't seem to be unusual in the coverage of the Infanta and the Noos Case).

From the little they're seen the Urdangarin children seem to be quite well brought up. They're being extremely well educated in a very cosmopolitan manner, (and at international schools, where it's not unusual for families to move every few years). If there were major emotional or behavioural issues with any of them I have no doubt the Spanish press would be all over it and we'd know. So from the outside looking in it seems that Cristina and Inaki have done a good job at parenting the children through difficult times.

The verdict was more or less what I expected. IMO it was a ridiculous waste of time and money to put Cristina on trial at all and the only way she would have been convicted would have been with three completely politically motivated judges. Thankfully that seems not to have been the case.

I thought that almost 20 years was laughable for Inaki, but I also assumed even the prosecutor who asked for that amount of time never thought he'd get it. I think somewhere in the vicinity of four to six years was the best Inaki could have hoped for.

Why did he have to do what he did in the first place? They have money, position, privilege, things most of us will never have and yet we get by without breaking the law. For all he had he wanted more to a point where he is now in jail. I'll never understand it.

Its been said that the love of money, power and status corrupts. This may be a prime example of it. I don't know as I don't know these people personally but that would be my first guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom