Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 2 (2015 - 2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All men and women on positions with influence are open for favours. If someone can help a friend to obtain a job, or a sister to get earlier treatment, or help a cousin to upgrade a booking, whatever. All "wrong" but it all happens. Every day. All over the world.

The verdict for Infanta Cristina's (King Felipe of Spain's sister) fraud case will be announced today.

Until what time are they working at the tribunals in Spain? It is after office hours and I didn't see anything yet.

Probably the info I saw was wrong. I'm sorry.

^^^ I read the same thing on Twitter. Not sure the source.

Different royal blogs were reporting it. Nothing official.

Gert's Royals ‏@Gertsroyals 7h7 hours ago
The verdict is expected to be announced in the next few hours.

Gert's Royals ‏@Gertsroyals 3h3 hours ago
From what I'm reading Infanta Cristina's (King Felipe's sister) tax fraud case verdict is being delayed due to Spain's election drama.

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/status/788784634901491712

So Cristina was put on trial despite both the prosecutor and the tax office saying they had no evidence that she committed a crime, and if I remember correctly, part of the judge's reasoning was that it was important to show that everyone is treated equally before the law.

And yet, it seems the judicial system has no problem arranging the timing of various aspects of her case to suit the government and the king's schedule.

Spanish justice may indeed be equal for all, I wouldn't know, but the more I read about this particular situation the more it seems like Cristina has been thrown under the bus by various political factions and, sadly, even by members of her own family.

Spanish media has not published news about the possibility that the verdict was to be made public today... it was a mistake or someone invention. Then they have tried to correct misinformation, with another error. :bang:

What the news (of a section of gossip) says, is that the verdict is expected at the end of the year. The news makes an absurd speculation that the verdict may not match the king's speech on Christmas Eve ... absurd because being Saturday and Christmas Eve the court does not work that day.

I can't see this ever ending !!!! Is this how the Spanish legal system works for everyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This is a massive trial, with 17 accused persons, 364 witnesses interviewed and thousands and thousands of documents to review. It's going to take longer than usual, but in general justice in Spain is slow, the courts are overworked and understaffed, it's a chronic problem and it's well-known.

There's never been an announcement about when the court's ruling will be made public, I've only seen it in foreign royal blogs, presumably taken from fringe and unreliable internet news portals. Again, there're baseless accusations about the monarchy or the government controlling the independent judicial system with no facts or proof whatsoever. In fact, if the courts were beholden to the government and/or the monarchy why would there be a trial?

Unless there's some sort of laws dictating when a court has to decide a criminal matter, there's no telling how long it can take the courts. And as AnaC says, this was a massive case. I could see it taking a full year, at least.

Not only is the staff overburdened as it is in all likelihood, these things go through drafts, revisions, more drafts, more revisions. There are probably internal controls within the court where another group of researchers look over the drafts, checking law, checking cites, checking facts.

I would not want to be the poor slobs who have to go through all of that for the judge. Probably a lot of nights and weekends. In the US these types of interns, often a prestigious position but low paying, are often fresh out of law school and after a few years of this kind of grunt work move onto private practice.

As we can see with the soccer players Neymar and Messi, fraud cases are everywhere and put an immense workload on the justice system. The case NOOS is no different.

Not surprising at all - an extremely complicated case on top of other workloads. Takes a long time to sift through the law and facts, often conflicting.

more on cristina in this article, titled with what she said in court: 'i can't wait for this to be over so that i don't need to step on this country ever again'

disappointing behaviour for who was formally (and still is 'unofficially' as no one really takes her seriously anymore and was discarded from any official representation) a 'princess of spain'. [madam, if you think spain is not a country you want to 'step in ever again', why not renouncing to your infanta title?]

in the article, they mention that cristina has a good relationship with her mother and sister, but not with her father or brother. speaking as to her family rejecting her she said 'Do you know how hard it is to have to ask permission to get a glass of water in what has been my home for life? ".

cristina and inaki blame letizia for all their evils.

they also say that cristina and inaki 'still don't think they did anything wrong', and she is cited saying that she didn't do anything 'that any other spanish person wouldn't do'. on her leasing of property illegally for the noos foundation she said 'who doesn't do things like these?'. the article says 'she does not show the least remorse or repentment'.

the article also talks about how bad juan valentin has taken this experience.

regarding her presence in this case, Cristina de Borbón replied: "At the beginning of this process they told me not to worry and to be calm because they would not impute me and imputed me; then they told me not to worry because the matter would not go to trial, and I was seated in the Then the court would admit the previous question - the famous doctrine Botín that was used by his lawyers - and that I could go, and here I am ... But, come on, I'm calm". she has internalized that inaki will enter prison, but she isn't giving up her dynastic rights.

Infanta Cristina: "Qué ganas tengo de que acabe esto para no volver a pisar este país" | loc | EL MUNDO

these two make me want to vomit....

Wow that's terrible
No happy families there then

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If the quotes are actually hers, I can just say: wow!

Did she really say all this or do 'sources' claim she says/thinks it?
She must be under a lot of stress and seems to be burning her brigdes if these quotes are real ones.

Did she actually mention her sister-in-law or is it an interpertation by the newspaper?

Last edited:
It is a very understandable reaction of an utterly exhausted person after, as the article mentioned: "61 sessions in Court, together lasting 164 days, in six months time". And it is even more understandable seeing what the Infanta Doña Cristina herself is actually accused of. Any other Spanish citizen with the same accusation would see this case administratively dealt or maybe has to spend one afternoon in a tribunal. This was pure class justice, but then in the reverse meaning of the word.

I have been in and of this thread, so I haven't following the scandal as others have.

Why would Cristina blame Letizia for her misfortune. Does she think that she called the authorities on her or that she pressured Felipe not to assist her. I really don't get it.

If its true...I can see why she said it. More out of frustration and despair than actually meaning it. Kind of like...will someone rid me of this tiresome person but not really expecting anyone to do it. Sometimes when one is stressed and under pressure you say things you don't mean. If she said it probably wasn't that smart to let someone hear it.

It is a very understandable reaction of an utterly exhausted person after, as the article mentioned: "61 sessions in Court, together lasting 164 days, in six months time". And it is even more understandable seeing what the Infanta Doña Cristina herself is actually accused of. Any other Spanish citizen with the same accusation would see this case administratively dealt or maybe has to spend one afternoon in a tribunal. This was pure class justice, but then in the reverse meaning of the word.

I have to agree with you. The more actual facts I read about this trial and what Cristina is accused of, (and who is accusing her), the more I think she's been set up as a whipping boy by individuals and organizations that are themselves the very definition of the word "corrupt." And for every solid fact about the case I've found, I've had to wade through pages upon pages of malicious gossip, second hand rumors and angry vitriol on the level that's usually reserved for war criminals or serial rapists. Add to that her father's inflammatory "justice is equal for all" statement which he had to have known would be interpreted as referring to his daughter and son in law, and to Felipe taking away her ducal title despite her not having been convicted of a crime, and I can absolutely see why she might want to distance herself from Spain right now. That's provided the article is true, of course, and not still more rumor mongering.

I don't have much sympathy for Inaki Urdangarin, however. While I don't think he was the amoral devil that's been described in the press, I do think he was overconfident and he got himself in way over his head with things he was unqualified to be dealing with in the first place. He also made the biggest mistake someone who's married in to a royal family can make, IMO - he forgot that his privileged lifestyle was dependent on his wife and her family, and therefore he needed to watch his step. I don't doubt that, in the end, the Spanish royals will circle the wagons around Cristina and her children. Inaki? Not so much.

I think the point with Cristina is that she is morally guilty but not legally, and people would have expected from her to show some remorse, humility or common sense. But she didn't show that but insisted stubbornly on her privileges. Felipe took away her title, what he can do based on morals, and other institutions tried to make an example of that because its always great to direct the anger of the public onto somebody else.

I always found it questionable of both JC ('above the law') and Felipe (taking away the title) sticking their necks out on moral grounds. Regarding JC and morals, no comment, and Felipe is his son, he will be no stranger to his fathers' dealings of the past (the economic raise of Spain) and obviously it took years for both to do something about Inaki, being well aware what he was doing, only when it became a public relations matter he was thrown under the bus (followed by the stubborn Infanta). And he was only thrown under the bus because it seems he is stupid and arrogant beyond belief, refusing all possible (lucrative) lifelines along the way down.

Therefore Inaki is a different matter because it looks that he is legally guilty.

I think the point with Cristina is that she is morally guilty but not legally, and people would have expected from her to show some remorse, humility or common sense. But she didn't show that but insisted stubbornly on her privileges. [...]

The "privileges" of the Infanta Doña Cristina are that she can sit "61 sessions in Court, together lasting 164 days, in six months time" for an alleged misdemeanour of which the Public Prosecutor has requested a discharge (!) because of insufficient supporting facts and for which an ordinary Spaniard -if guilty- gets an administrative sanction.

The Infanta should show remorse, humility or common sense? But she considers herself innocent of the alleged misdemeanours. So why showing remorse, humility or common sense? Seen from her stance she has no reason for that.

Then the King taking away her title Duquesa de Palma de Mallorca: a shameful and cowardly act. While it is not at all for sure that the Infanta will be convicted for anything, he already sacrificed his sister on the altar of the public opinion. What will Don Felipe do when the Tribunal follows the Public Prosecutor and discharges the Infanta? Restore her as Duquesa de Palma de Mallorca? No... the bitter words of the Infanta are very understandable indeed.

Last edited:
The Infanta should show remorse, humility or common sense? But she considers herself innocent of the alleged misdemeanours. So why showing remorse, humility or common sense? Seen from her stance she has no reason for that.

Well, it became clear already years ago that Inaki was involved in criminal dealings what had an impact of the daily life of the Infanta (the big house, lifestyle etc) Nobody believes that she didn't know what Inaki was doing, even if it cannot be proven in a court of law.
And in this situation, knowing that your husband is involved in criminal dealings, or at least being told by a lot of people over months or even years, the expected reaction would be to, lets say, avoid the limelight or attention, yet Cristina did the opposite and all this in the worst recession the country had seen for a long time. She is a person of royal status and should have known better: in this situation to brag about position, money or social status is just wrong.

For me, the SRF as a whole is not better when it comes to morals, for me Cristina is just an example of what is really going on in the family behind closed doors, it's a different matter when it comes to image, of course. Then they are trying to sell that they are whiter than white, what a joke.

Duke, I do not believe that any Royal Family is white and pure, as in all classes of society they do not escape problems, and having power and influence the risk of taking advantage of certain privileges is always there.

Cristina's problem has always been that obsessed in her pride and accustomed to a life of privileges ... she has never seen reality. Iñaki was unintelligent, too ambitious, and Cristina's big mistake was to look the other way.

She lives in Switzerland, working for fabulous salaries in jobs that she has obtained and maintained by friends of Juan Carlos and with protection of the Spanish police. According to the press, also Juan Carlos and Sofia help to finance the exclusive education of her children. What else does she want?

On the title of nobility, the duchy was an honor ... and Iñaki used that honor to do business, and filled his pockets with public money from the citizens of that city. For the city of Palma de Mallorca was an offense that they used that title, they had already eliminated the street of the "Dukes of Palma" and wanted to officially ask the Royal House to withdraw the title ... was inevitable. Cristina is still Infanta of Spain that is a greater honor, and that is a title that her husband can not use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom