Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 2 (2015 - 2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mother's don't have responsibility over their adult children's choices, that's for sure. however, cristina is an integral part of an institution which represents a country and for which its citizens pay their taxes to to upkeep what they represent. they count with enormous privileges and as such, the degree of responsibility associated is higher than for normal families. as such, sofia is no ordinary mother. acting blindly when seeing such behaviour taking place, when you are the consort of the head of state, is simply wrong. assuming that they knew what was happening, and accounts seem to indicate so, all this could have been avoided if JC and sofia had stood their ground and stopped this at its root. the prime responsible people were obviously cristina and inaki, but, for their own sake at least, JC and sofia should have intervened more decisively.

I have read lots about this and though my Spanish is totally hopeless I have been keeping up to date .. I imagine it will all come out in the wash but all I can say is it is just really sad .. that's all ..

mother's don't have responsibility over their adult children's choices, that's for sure. however, cristina is an integral part of an institution which represents a country and for which its citizens pay their taxes to to upkeep what they represent. they count with enormous privileges and as such, the degree of responsibility associated is higher than for normal families. as such, sofia is no ordinary mother. acting blindly when seeing such behaviour taking place, when you are the consort of the head of state, is simply wrong. assuming that they knew what was happening, and accounts seem to indicate so, all this could have been avoided if JC and sofia had stood their ground and stopped this at its root. the prime responsible people were obviously cristina and inaki, but, for their own sake at least, JC and sofia should have intervened more decisively.

I agree. Because of Inakis profession as a handballer, he was basically jobless after his professional career ended. JC had the responsibility to provide him with a suitable 'royal connections' job, what he tried (same with Jaime). Inaki turned down a 200.000 Euro job with Laureus because he thought that it wasn't enough. At this stage JC had to be alarmed and not let Inaki to get away with doing his own thing, especially not getting his hands on public money.
I think it was a mixture of JC being unable/unwilling to put his foot down, maybe to avoid angering his daughter claiming that Inaki somehow had to earn his living, stressing his willingness to work on his own, and Inaki being bold beyond anyone's imagination.
We can all see where it ended and yes, the royal house is guilty of this too, not only JC (he would have the actual power to put his foot down) but also Sofia and Felipe as CP because he would inherit the whole mess.
All of them still played happy family at Inakis birthday 2008, when Inaki's doing must have been well known within the family.

I have been reading all of the news as it comes up, and I must say, everything that I have read points to Casa Real not only knowing but helping with Iñaki's "business." The easiest way for King JC to put his foot down would have been to quietly let people know that working with his son-in-law was unacceptable. Iñaki would have been forced to stop without any contracts.

I am not saying we should blame Casa Real or KJC, I am just saying that we need to think about that as a legitimate possibility when we're tempted to bash Iñaki for being the scum of the universe.

Maybe growing up in a corrupt city has me jaded, but honestly, this case seems blown out of proportion and certainly not jail-worthy.

I think that the whole family was fully aware of Inaki's wrongdoings that could potentially be prosecuted in a court of law when they shipped the family out to Washington in 2009 on the type of golden job that Inaki should already have taken in 2002.

I believe that all of them, JC, Sofia, Felipe, the whole family and casa real, were aware of the situation and wanted him out of the country because they were getting cold feet. And I think the fact that Cristina and Inaki accepted the job/move to the US proves to me that even they were now aware that the whole situation could come back and hit the royal family like a boomerang, what happened in the end.

And if not for the financial crisis hitting Spain really really hard, all of them would have gotten away with it and the whole thing would have brushed under the carpet. But at some point the crisis became so bad and at the same time the King's influence starting waning, that nothing could be done anymore.

So of course first and foremost it's Inaki who got involved in immoral/criminal (though 'normal' at the time) business deals, Cristina to a lesser extend probably because she was besotted with Inaki and felt entitled (after all she has witnessed her family's rise to power and money that most likely wasn't squeaky clean either) but the rest of the family is equally guilty for not doing enough against it, hyprocracy and being delusional about their own position.

Probably some family members were quicker to understand than others (Felipe) others followed (JC) but some (Sofia) were still delusional when posing with Inaki when it was really really clear what was going to happen.

I think that the whole family was fully aware of Inaki's wrongdoings that could potentially be prosecuted in a court of law when they shipped the family out to Washington in 2009 on the type of golden job that Inaki should already have taken in 2002.

I believe that all of them, JC, Sofia, Felipe, the whole family and casa real, were aware of the situation and wanted him out of the country because they were getting cold feet. And I think the fact that Cristina and Inaki accepted the job/move to the US proves to me that even they were now aware that the whole situation could come back and hit the royal family like a boomerang, what happened in the end.

And if not for the financial crisis hitting Spain really really hard, all of them would have gotten away with it and the whole thing would have brushed under the carpet. But at some point the crisis became so bad and at the same time the King's influence starting waning, that nothing could be done anymore.

So of course first and foremost it's Inaki who got involved in immoral/criminal (though 'normal' at the time) business deals, Cristina to a lesser extend probably because she was besotted with Inaki and felt entitled (after all she has witnessed her family's rise to power and money that most likely wasn't squeaky clean either) but the rest of the family is equally guilty for not doing enough against it, hyprocracy and being delusional about their own position.

Probably some family members were quicker to understand than others (Felipe) others followed (JC) but some (Sofia) were still delusional when posing with Inaki when it was really really clear what was going to happen.
I agree, I do think to some extent that Sofia & Felipe knew something was going on. I think JC knew quite a bit of what was going on, thus the job in DC. I have a feeling that when JC actually found out about everything (or at least the majority) he started to put his foot down, but it might have been a little late at that point. I really feel for Felipe, I'm sure that he had some knowledge of the situation, but until he became king had no authority to do anything about it.

I found this article in English which is a helpful summing up of the issue. It was written in 2014 so is somewhat outdated at this stage but was helpful for me in understanding the history of this.

For example, it states that Cristina would likely have been left out of this whole thing if Inaki had not gone after the wife of his former partner Diego Torres. The legal experts all thought that the wives should have been kept out of this and that Inaki should have agreed to that, but he and his lawyers chose not to, which made Cristina fair game.

Also, odd happenings with the Spanish intelligence agency and the judges in the case apparently being surveilled.

How a rumor grew into a royal scandal | In English | EL PAÍS

I found this article in English which is a helpful summing up of the issue. It was written in 2014 so is somewhat outdated at this stage but was helpful for me in understanding the history of this.

For example, it states that Cristina would likely have been left out of this whole thing if Inaki had not gone after the wife of his former partner Diego Torres. The legal experts all thought that the wives should have been kept out of this and that Inaki should have agreed to that, but he and his lawyers chose not to, which made Cristina fair game.

Also, odd happenings with the Spanish intelligence agency and the judges in the case apparently being surveilled.

How a rumor grew into a royal scandal | In English | EL PAÍS

very interesting, although from memory, diego torres wife was from moment 1 a suspect. it was in fact diego torres himself who complained about why was his wife a suspect if cristina wasn't. i guess back then her image was less tainted and no one could believe her being guilty, being this idyllic wife and mother. also, i think back then no one would have guessed that royalty would be judged - corruption in spain is such that lots of people, myself included, thought this would be 'slipped under the rug'.

One of the co-defendants in the corruption trial of Spain’s Princess Cristina and her husband, Iñaki Urdangarin, has said that he felt "used" by the royal couple, who had been longstanding friends of his.

Olympic gold-medal-winning sailor José Luis Ballester, said that Mr Urdangarin, a former handball player who also won a medal at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, described a situation in which he felt obliged to help the king of Spain’s brother-in-law after becoming the Balearic Island government’s director general of sport between 2003 and 2007.

Mr Ballester is charged with breach of duty, embezzlement, fraud and influence peddling.

“As time passes, you realise that you are just a small instrument, so maybe I was used,” said Mr Ballester when asked if he had been deceived or used by Mr Urdangarin as a way of obtaining traction with the regional administration.
Read more: Princess Cristina corruption trial: Friend of royal couple says he felt 'used' by them - Telegraph

an article on how the infanta is living her first week of declarations:
Infanta Cristina: así ha vivido su primera semana en el banquillo | loc | EL MUNDO

it mentions how she now appears more relaxed, how they may be staying at rosario nadal's house (actually, kyril's house since after the divorce he got to keep it, it is in Porreres, on the road linking Porreres and Felanitx, there's a picture on the article), or maybe in the house of one of her sisters (the Nadal Puigdorfila sisters, who are all close to cristina), and how cristina's bodyguard brings in always a bag which is thought to have their lunch, as they never leave the premises during the breaks.

That was what everyone expected of Diego Torres... so no surprise.

This has been his strategy from the start, trying to hide behind Juan Carlos, the lawyer of Juan Carlos or the secretary of the infantas ... He was a poor victim who knows nothing. When evidences and declarations show that he was the mastermind of all.

This strategy has not worked legally, but allows him to get prominence in the press with his outrageous statements.

Isn't a better translation: "I've never been an agent (or, commission agent) for anything."?

Yes, something like that. I've always understood "comisionista" to mean someone who works for a comission.

So the royal family knew but his wife did not? What BS!! The King tried to shut down the business, what inaki ignored. I think that at some point the King realized that inaki was exploiting the path that the King himself had paved for him and tried to stop him, too little too late. When the Full scale came visible, even for inaki, the family was sent out of view to Washington. Without the crisis, the would have been no trial. I wonder what queen Sofia thinks of this statement, that all evil came from her office, supporting the Palmas all the way so far.

It's funny how the blame is always on others and Inanki didn't know anthing... isn't it?:whistling:

So the royal family knew but his wife did not? What BS!! The King tried to shut down the business, what inaki ignored. I think that at some point the King realized that inaki was exploiting the path that the King himself had paved for him and tried to stop him, too little too late. When the Full scale came visible, even for inaki, the family was sent out of view to Washington. Without the crisis, the would have been no trial. I wonder what queen Sofia thinks of this statement, that all evil came from her office, supporting the Palmas all the way so far.

I do agree with you. Plus, don't even tell me that the King JC and Queen Sofia didn't take Cristina aside for a harsh talk on this subject many times. Parents do that especially when in their position. Think Inaki threw his wife under the bus on this one. There is no way I now have any small doubt [if I even did before] that Cristina wasn't up to her eyes in all this along with her husband. It is now so plain why Felipe and Letizia stepped back from them years ago. I wonder about Elena. I can see her trying to support her sister thru loving but being ashamed about crime. What a damn mess and I still feel so sorry for the innocent children

Its all such a mess,no wonder queen Sofia hasn't appeared in public in a long time,she must be heartbroken over this entire dreadful state of affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom