Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 2 (2015 - 2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Cristina/ Inaki are back in Spain or if they will just fly in tomorrow?

an interesting article in el mundo about how inaki and cristina are living the trial, particularly mentioning that they have assumed and mentalised that inaki will most likely go to prison. cristina is apparently thinking how she was going to visit him in prison (photos of her entering the prison to visit him would be worth a lot) and inaki is under psychological treatment.

they mention that juan carlos and felipe asked inaki to leave behind his 'affairs', which hints that they both knew what was going on, and that the head of the royal house visited inaki in USA to ask cristina the same to which she confronted him defending inaki.

they also speak about cristina's love at first sight with inaki and how they met.

Iñaki Urdangarin da por hecho que entrará en prisión tras el juicio por el caso Nóos | loc | EL MUNDO

I wonder if Cristina/ Inaki are back in Spain or if they will just fly in tomorrow?

i believe the press were speculating on where they would stay the night, ruling out marivent, so i guess they will come in at least this evening. my guess is that the trial starts quite early in the morning.

From New York Times:
Princess Cristina of Spain is scheduled to appear in court on Monday, accused of tax fraud as part of a corruption case centered on money embezzled from public contracts that is bringing a member of the country’s royal family to trial for the first time.
Cristina’s return to court is widely seen as a crucial test for the Spanish monarchy at a time when the institution has steadily improved its image since Felipe took over from his father.
Princess Cristina’s Tax Fraud Trial Set to Begin in Spain - The New York Times

Where exactly are their 4 children during all this widely public trial?

Where exactly are their 4 children during all this widely public trial?

I sincerely hope they are at home in Geneva, going to school and continuing their routine. They must have enough resources that some adult can stay with them.

i believe that is the case. there's no reason to drag them out of school and bring them over with them to have to endure the press presence and having to see their parents during these times. they must continue in geneva with a nanny of some sort getting on with their everyday.

If Cristina and Inaki both see prison time what happens to the kids? Does Inaki have family or would they end up back in Spain with JC and Sofia? I hope they are in Geneva in school and real life right now but there is a chance that their parents are going away.

The children of Infanta Cristina are in the line of succession to the Spanish throne and in the unlikely event that both parents end up in prison I'd assume they would be looked after by the SRF or the Urdangarín family.

I asked because I was told differently and it made me mad. I am glad the children are "hidden" from this show. They are the ones I sincerely worry about, not Inaki or Cristina. This trial will follow their young lives for years. Just so unfair.

I asked because I was told differently and it made me mad. I am glad the children are "hidden" from this show. They are the ones I sincerely worry about, not Inaki or Cristina. This trial will follow their young lives for years. Just so unfair.

I completely agree.

Imo God forbid HRH end up In jail but if that were to happen , don't think for one moment abuela Sophia would ever let anyone else take those children! I'd bet my paycheck on that!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The children of Infanta Cristina are in the line of succession to the Spanish throne and in the unlikely event that both parents end up in prison I'd assume they would be looked after by the SRF or the Urdangarín family.

Probably the children of the Infanta Cristina would be with the Queen Sofia or the Urdangarin family.
I also think they could get the Infanta Elena, since she looks very close to the nephews.

Imo God forbid HRH end up In jail but if that were to happen , don't think for one moment abuela Sophia would ever let anyone else take those children! I'd bet my paycheck on that!

I am sorry but 'god forbid HRH ends up in jail :ermm: If she is guilty of the crimes which it seems she likely is in part, she should face justice like any other commoner. If her and her husband cared about their kids and not having parents to raise them, they shouldn't have been involved in this.

I also believe that the Queen Sofia will be with their grandchildren, if the daughter is arrested.
She loves her grandchildren and be the first to say it is with them.

If and when its been deemed that both parents are to spend time in jail, I think what would happen is that the relatives would decide what is best for the children themselves. Who are they most comfortable with? Their education and social circles should be considered also as the least amount of trauma placed on the kids, the better.

I don't have a clue how the legal system works in Spain but would it be possible to find Cristina guilty to some extent and then give her a sentence such as house arrest (with restricted movement to places) and ankle monitor so that she could still be "at home" with the children but under supervision? I really do hope that the court takes into consideration these children.

I also hope that the court has attention to all this. Someone has to rely to care for children. I believe it would be with the Queen Sofia.

I don't know if a court does take the children of a convicted felon into consideration when sentencing (we're getting far ahead of ourselves here, I'm speaking hypothetically ). There are many, many children out there whose only parent goes to jail for some crime or another, I'm sorry to say. What happens to them? A relative? Foster care?

I have no doubt that the SRF, while they cannot interfere with the proceedings (let's hope), probably is in the privileged position of knowing what the evidence against Cristina and Inaki is, and probably have a fairly good idea of how this will go. I'm guessing JC and Felipe have made a few phone calls to assess the situation. Plans are in place as necessary for the children. I have no doubt these four will have as soft a landing as possible under the circumstances. I say "soft landing" in relative terms, surely one's childhood ends when both parents face conviction and possible jail, no matter how much privilege they were born into.

Can we stay on topic and stick to the facts as they are and leave the worst case scenarios involving Urdangarín children out of the conversation for now.

I have not had the time, nor do I understand Spanish law enough to really follow what is going on, but did at least some of the prosecution team ask that the charges be dropped against Cristina based on insufficient evidence?

I have not had the time, nor do I understand Spanish law enough to really follow what is going on, but did at least some of the prosecution team ask that the charges be dropped against Cristina based on insufficient evidence?

Yes, this article gives an update. It is still debated whether the Botin doctrine should be applied to Cristina or not and this question will be decided before the start of the trial on Feb 9th.
Spanish royal trial: Prosecutors present new Tax Agency report defending Infanta Cristina | In English | EL PAÍS

Yes, this article gives an update. It is still debated whether the Botin doctrine should be applied to Cristina or not and this question will be decided before the start of the trial on Feb 9th.
Spanish royal trial: Prosecutors present new Tax Agency report defending Infanta Cristina | In English | EL PAÍS

Thanks, Duke! The criminal justice system in Spain is so different from that in the U.S.

So Cristina might be out of this within the month. We'll see.

Thanks, Duke! The criminal justice system in Spain is so different from that in the U.S.

So Cristina might be out of this within the month. We'll see.

The Infanta Doña Cristina is not facing State prosecution in any way. In Spain (and in most EU countries) a plaintiff bringing an action to Court must be a direct victim of an alleged crime. The case against the Infanta was brought forward by an action group called "Clean Hands" claiming rights "on behalf of the people".

The famous Botín Doctrine was issued by the Supreme Court in December 2007, stating that a trial cannot be opened solely in the instance of popular accusation, but needs to be petitioned by the Public Prosecutor or the private prosecutor as the only legitimately injured parties. This means that the action group "Clean Hands" has to show and proof that individual plaintiffs in their group were directly a victim due to actions or non-actions of the Infanta. Both the Public Prosecutor as well the Examinating Magistrate saw little possibilities to build a case which has any chance in a lawsuit.

In most (if not all) EU-countries it is not possible to prosecute purely for the prosecution (as we can see in the US: "I sue you! See you in Court!"). A case must be brought forward to the Public Prosecution Office and it is their duty to make sure that the right person is prosecuted for the right offence. In doing so, prosecutors must always act in the interests of justice and not only for the purpose of obtaining a conviction. This means that in the EU Public Prosecutors regularly advice the Court that there is no sustainable case for a prosecution and/or conviction. This is a total opposite role as in most of the US-states where the prosecution seems to see it as a "defeat" when there is no conviction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom