The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,773
Will Cristina divorce Iñaki ? It is the only sensible thing to do to be consistent with her version that she has been lied to and deceived by her husband on the nature of his business transactions. Certainly he broke the trust that is expected from a husband to his wife.
__________________

  #442  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
it makes sense, the family has close ties to Portugal and the Aga Khan foundation has headquarters there.
The Infanta will have to money worries due to who her parents/connections.

Does Inaki have to go to a Spanish prison or can the authorities make a deal with another country? He'll have special treatment anyway, like a hotel that he can't leave.
__________________

  #443  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,048
I too feel sorry for the children of the couple. However, I'm not so sure that they will learn firm lessons from their parents' trial, considering that Infanta Cristina has been angry about this procedure all along and attacked Spain saying she never wanted to live there again etc. It appears Cristina has something of a martyr complex about what has happened and she might well maintain this attitude for the rest of her life. Of course she can't dispute the fact that her husband and father of her children has been found guilty in a court of law, but her sense of entitlement and being wronged may well be passed on to her children, even though we hope not.
  #444  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:49 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,940
I feel sad for Mrs Claire Liebart , Inaki's Mother born in Belgium.
  #445  
Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I too feel sorry for the children of the couple. However, I'm not so sure that they will learn firm lessons from their parents' trial, considering that Infanta Cristina has been angry about this procedure all along and attacked Spain saying she never wanted to live there again etc. It appears Cristina has something of a martyr complex about what has happened and she might well maintain this attitude for the rest of her life. Of course she can't dispute the fact that her husband and father of her children has been found guilty in a court of law, but her sense of entitlement and being wronged may well be passed on to her children, even though we hope not.


I think your right it's that "it's not fair it wasn't my fault " attitude that she will carry to her grave.
  #446  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,940
Both have to pay a lot of money. Will they be able to do that or King Juan Carlos will pay for them.
  #447  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 12,602
I was surprised when I heard the length of Inaki's sentence because, like, others, I thought it seemed a bit too excessive. Whilst he has committed a crime, criminals who have done far worse deeds than Inaki have spent a much shorter amount of time in prison. Well, if he behaves himself, he'll most likely be let off and given a couple of years or so.
Those who I feel most sorry for in this mess are Christina and Inaki's children. They haven't got anything to do with the case but seem to be dragged in and labeled with their parents. It also appears that they have been moved around as they have lived in Spain, Geneva and now Portugal; which can't be good in the terms of friendships and education. I do hope that the NOOS case hasn't affected their mental well being too much.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #448  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 8,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Will Cristina divorce Iñaki ? It is the only sensible thing to do to be consistent with her version that she has been lied to and deceived by her husband on the nature of his business transactions. Certainly he broke the trust that is expected from a husband to his wife.


Mmm... that's not quite Cristina's position. In her mind, her husband has been unfairly treated and isn't guilty. How someone can think that after a 6 year trial where even her own brother has turned his back to them is beyond me. If there was anything minor about what they did, he would have gotten out a long time ago. Thankfully justice has been made, in some form or another. I don't believe for a minute that Cristina was not involved or didn't know about this, and even the judge questioned the result. But I think everyone knows nos what these two are made of - and losing their dignity, privileges and trust is probably the worse of punishments for two people who had it all.
__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
https://www.humanesociety.org
  #449  
Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I was surprised when I heard the length of Inaki's sentence because, like, others, I thought it seemed a bit too excessive. Whilst he has committed a crime, criminals who have done far worse deeds than Inaki have spent a much shorter amount of time in prison. Well, if he behaves himself, he'll most likely be let off and given a couple of years or so.
Those who I feel most sorry for in this mess are Christina and Inaki's children. They haven't got anything to do with the case but seem to be dragged in and labeled with their parents. It also appears that they have been moved around as they have lived in Spain, Geneva and now Portugal; which can't be good in the terms of friendships and education. I do hope that the NOOS case hasn't affected their mental well being too much.
Has there been any confirmation given that Cristina and the children will move to Portugal? I can't find anything other than articles stating it as fact with no sources to back it up, (which doesn't seem to be unusual in the coverage of the Infanta and the Noos Case).

From the little they're seen the Urdangarin children seem to be quite well brought up. They're being extremely well educated in a very cosmopolitan manner, (and at international schools, where it's not unusual for families to move every few years). If there were major emotional or behavioural issues with any of them I have no doubt the Spanish press would be all over it and we'd know. So from the outside looking in it seems that Cristina and Inaki have done a good job at parenting the children through difficult times.

The verdict was more or less what I expected. IMO it was a ridiculous waste of time and money to put Cristina on trial at all and the only way she would have been convicted would have been with three completely politically motivated judges. Thankfully that seems not to have been the case.

I thought that almost 20 years was laughable for Inaki, but I also assumed even the prosecutor who asked for that amount of time never thought he'd get it. I think somewhere in the vicinity of four to six years was the best Inaki could have hoped for.
  #450  
Old 02-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,217
Why did he have to do what he did in the first place? They have money, position, privilege, things most of us will never have and yet we get by without breaking the law. For all he had he wanted more to a point where he is now in jail. I'll never understand it.
  #451  
Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,774
Its been said that the love of money, power and status corrupts. This may be a prime example of it. I don't know as I don't know these people personally but that would be my first guess.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #452  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,485
Glad this is over for the most part.

Honestly it doesn't make sense IMO for Inaki not to go prison right away. An appeal is not likely to overturn prison time all together. His sentence may be shortened. Honestly makes sense for him to start his prison sentence while appealing. No point dragging out when he enters. If the appeal takes a year, and his sentence is reduced to say three years, he will still have to go away. May as well start now, so he would only have two left.

Honestly Cristina losing her title was the best choice. It seems many aren't happy she escaped with only a fine. The amount of the fine is not even that much for someone of her background. There are many who think she got off lightly. Losing her title and any roll in the royal family is a bigger blow.

The only people I feel bad for are the kids. They are the ones innocent in all of this. I grew up moving around as a kid, but I hope Cristina stays put for now. Portugal would be good as close to the family but away from talk in Spain. With dad in prison, these kids need stability. And being in one place, one school, close to their extended family would be good for them now.
  #453  
Old 02-18-2017, 07:14 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 12,602
Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 2 (2015 -)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Has there been any confirmation given that Cristina and the children will move to Portugal? I can't find anything other than articles stating it as fact with no sources to back it up, (which doesn't seem to be unusual in the coverage of the Infanta and the Noos Case).



From the little they're seen the Urdangarin children seem to be quite well brought up. They're being extremely well educated in a very cosmopolitan manner, (and at international schools, where it's not unusual for families to move every few years). If there were major emotional or behavioural issues with any of them I have no doubt the Spanish press would be all over it and we'd know. So from the outside looking in it seems that Cristina and Inaki have done a good job at parenting the children through difficult times.

There has actually been a link in this very thread to an article regarding the potential move to Portugal and my mother said she heard the same story on the British radio. Not that it means they're definitely moving to Portugal of course because they could have got their reports from misinformation, but that's where I heard the Portugal news.

My comment about the children wasn't a criticism about Cristina and Inaki's parenting skills, it was simply a general concern for them because even though their mental well being may not be affected terribly by the case, it is still a difficult and complex situation for them to be going through. I have no doubt that the children are getting good education; what I meant by that was the fact that they are moving to different countries with different education systems and syllabuses must confuse them a little. Or not.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #454  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Bine221's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Maybe Spanish posters can confirm how the system works in Spain because for example in Germany somebody like Inaki (type of crime, first time criminal etc) would do less than half of the time with good behaviour, like 1-2 years full time in prison, then only spending the night there, after that at home under curfew, the rest: pardon. I expect Inaki 'free' long before the six years, there are lots of options to accommodate his situation.
I thought exactly the same.
I think, that he will only spend a portion (max 2/3 of the time) REALLY in prison....
well, still a lot, however.....
BYe Bine
  #455  
Old 02-22-2017, 01:42 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,610
Spanish King's brother-in-law to appeal fraud conviction | Daily Mail Online

Inaki sighting in Geneva yesterday

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id643403680
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id643403688

Infanta Cristina to request on 14 July to the court in Palma to refund her 322,000 Euros from the 587,000 euro deposit

Infanta Cristina to request money back from court deposit – Royal Central
  #456  
Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,983
How are they living while all this goes on and on. ??whose paying the bills ?
  #457  
Old 02-23-2017, 01:29 AM
Lakshmi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arizona, United States
Posts: 1,239
Thanks for posting this, really interesting...
So, it might be not over yet. Inaki will appeal & maybe he can get bailed out. It seems he is still a free man. He may avoid prison all together...
__________________
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.''
Eleanor Roosevelt

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

https://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
  #458  
Old 02-23-2017, 03:41 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
How are they living while all this goes on and on. ??whose paying the bills ?
Cristina still holds plum jobs with Aga Khan Foundation and Caixa. I am sure her parents will pay at least for their grandchildren and looking ahead there is nothing to worry about money: when her parents close their eyes Cristina will be a very rich woman herself.
  #459  
Old 02-23-2017, 04:08 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,921
Wasn't it said that when she took the post at the Aga Khan foundation she was receiving a salary of 300,000 euro in addition to the same amount she still got from the Caixa foundation? 600,000euro is plenty to live on and I'm sure if she continues to work for the foundation and moves to Portugal as suggested they will find a way for the foundation to pay the cost of housing etc.
  #460  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:38 AM
asturiana's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: BW, Germany
Posts: 2,031
El fiscal pide para Urdangarin cárcel eludible con el pago de una fianza de 200.000 euros | España | EL PAÍS
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
controversy, corruption, cristina, duchess of palma, iñaki, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, palma, palma de mallorca, scandal


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iñaki, Cristina & the NOOS Corruption Investigation and Imprisonment An Ard Ri Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family 123 12-24-2019 05:34 AM
Iñaki, Cristina and the NOOS Corruption Investigation Part 1 (2011-2014) LadyFinn Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family 1765 01-04-2015 09:24 AM




Popular Tags
abdication alqasimi althorp anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry armenia bangladesh belgian royal family castles charles of wales chittagong cht cyprus danish royalty diana princess of wales dna dutch royal family facts family tree foundation future games germany hill historical drama intro israel jacobite jumma kids movie king salman list of rulers lithuanian palaces memoir monaco christening monaco history mountbatten netflix nobel 2019 norway norway history official visit potential areas prince charles princess margaret pronunciation random facts rown royal children royal dress-ups royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding russian imperial family saudi arabia snowdon south korea spanish history spencer family state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish royalty thai royal family tracts unsubscribe visit from sweden wittelsbach working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×