Iñaki, Cristina & the NOOS Corruption Investigation and Imprisonment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will remember also the King's tears during the wedding !

Just for me: Inaki has now 5 days to decide which prison he will choose. Does this mean that he has to go to this prison immediately or has he after his choice to wait for an okay?

Thanks for the answer.

The days of being cooped up in a small cell and 3 rations of bread and water a day and otherwise forgotten are long gone.

In countries whose consitution is taken seriously and which subscribes to protecting the basic human rights including human dignity, they are over. So in all EU countries.

I do not condone what Inaki did, but at least he will serve his due in a prison where he is treated like a human being, not an like a piece of garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
This El Mundo article explains that Diego Torres also has been given 5 days. The third who needs to do time in prison is the former prime minister of the Baleares and he didn't show up as he already turned himself in today at the prison of Aranjuez (close to Madrid) for his second time in prison as he was convicted and served time earlier because of another case of abuse of power.

Iñaki is allowed to travel home to Geneva for a final few days with his family before turning himself in.

And to answer principessa, he has to turn himself in at a Spanish prison within those 5 days.

I used to like him a lot.... what did he think.... couldn't he imagine being caught and the result for his children ?

Infanta Cristina turns 53 tomorrow I hope they all enjoy some final family time in Geneva.

:previous: Me too. It's a sad situation, and as Moonmaiden said - their once happy family life has all gone to waste. I remember looking at the old photos of them (I wasn't following the SRF at that point) from when the children were small and they seemed so cheerful and relaxed.
I hope that the children will also not be too badly affected and will still be able to enjoy their lives at school etc. We often forget how the family feel about their relatives going to prison; I remember watching a documentary about children who had parent/s in prison here in England, and many of them were negatively affected by it.

Infanta Cristina turns 53 tomorrow I hope they all enjoy some final family time in Geneva.

She turned 53 today; Iñaki spent most of his time in airports and airplanes; he left early and returned probably late afternoon.

So, 3 years ago she got an early birthday present from her brother (revoking her ducal title) and now her husband got his instructions to turn himself in on her birthday.

Do you think it will be announced when Inaki enters prison?

:previous: Me too. It's a sad situation, and as Moonmaiden said - their once happy family life has all gone to waste. I remember looking at the old photos of them (I wasn't following the SRF at that point) from when the children were small and they seemed so cheerful and relaxed.
I hope that the children will also not be too badly affected and will still be able to enjoy their lives at school etc. We often forget how the family feel about their relatives going to prison; I remember watching a documentary about children who had parent/s in prison here in England, and many of them were negatively affected by it.

I think the children, (and Cristina), will be fine. When you think of what the children will have lived through in the last six or seven years.. the unknowns regarding their father’s final situation, the estrangement and public repudiation from part of their mother’s family, the parallel media trial with a press increasingly comfortable with reporting rumor and out right lies as facts, reporters camped outside their front door on a regular basis.. and yet they seem to be very well educated, well brought up children who, so far at least, have always behaved impeccably under a sometimes very harsh spotlight.

The separation from their father will be hard, no doubt, but at least now the waiting and uncertainty is over and they know what their new normal will be. Whatever else he’s done, Iñaki seems to have been a good father and IME good parents will find ways to keep the bond with their children strong even if they can’t be physically present on a daily basis.

:previous: A sensible outlook. You're right. I can imagine that given the length and difficulties the trial posed for the family they were aware that this would have been one of the outcomes. I'm sure they'll have as regular visits with their father as they can.

Do you think it will be announced when Inaki enters prison?

I don't think it will be announced by anyone in particular but surely the press will find out -at least after the fact, I guess the family will try to keep it private- , so it will surely be reported. The Spanish press already mentioned that the king and queen will be abroad when he enters prison, which is considered less of a humiliation for the king who sees not only his brother-in-law but also a former close friend being put behind bars.

an article below on the reception of the news on the prison decision by inaki and, particularly, for cristina:

En Ginebra y con visitas semanales a Urdangarin, así será la vida de la Infanta Cristina | Casa Real

they mention that cristina learnt about the prison decision at work. she had a breakdown when she got back home for dinner that evening. both inaki and cristina used psychological support.
cristina and kids will stay in geneva. regarding visits, apparently cristina wants to make all the weekly visits that are allowed but she is facing the issue of wanting to keep her kids privacy when they visit inaki.
a special unit will deal with the security needed for these visits.
inaki will need to spend at least 17 months in prison before he is allowed to ask for permissions to leave the prison and serve time partially there, partially outside. however, he won't be able to travel internationally.
talks between the royal household are taking place regarding cristina's status in the family. she may be able to regain access to the royal household for personal and family matters. she will not be reintroduced in the royal household for official representation.

I don't think it will be announced by anyone in particular but surely the press will find out -at least after the fact, I guess the family will try to keep it private- , so it will surely be reported. The Spanish press already mentioned that the king and queen will be abroad when he enters prison, which is considered less of a humiliation for the king who sees not only his brother-in-law but also a former close friend being put behind bars.

My impression watching the international channel of TVE (the Spanish public TV broadcaster) is that, rather than an embarrassment or a humilation, Iñaki's detention is a win for the King and the Royal House, as it reinforces the idea that everybody is equal before the law and nobody is above the law.

Having said that, public media reporting in Spain is usually deferential to the monarchy and sometimes even royalist, so it may be a biased view.

an article below on the reception of the news on the prison decision by inaki and, particularly, for cristina:

En Ginebra y con visitas semanales a Urdangarin, así será la vida de la Infanta Cristina | Casa Real

they mention that cristina learnt about the prison decision at work. she had a breakdown when she got back home for dinner that evening. both inaki and cristina used psychological support.
cristina and kids will stay in geneva. regarding visits, apparently cristina wants to make all the weekly visits that are allowed but she is facing the issue of wanting to keep her kids privacy when they visit inaki.
a special unit will deal with the security needed for these visits.
inaki will need to spend at least 17 months in prison before he is allowed to ask for permissions to leave the prison and serve time partially there, partially outside. however, he won't be able to travel internationally.
talks between the royal household are taking place regarding cristina's status in the family. she may be able to regain access to the royal household for personal and family matters. she will not be reintroduced in the royal household for official representation.

Is there any indication that Cristina wants to regain access to the royal household for personal matters, as they put it? Cristina has always had access to the various resources her parents can provide, (including visiting them at Zarzuela and participating in family events). The stickler - so they say - has been Iñaki not being welcome. It will be interesting to see what happens at, for example, Sofia’s 80th birthday celebrations later this year, now that Inaki has been temporarily taken out of the equation.

Cristina has what sounds like a very interesting career in Geneva. I think she knows full well she can’t represent the royal house officially again and I think she can see the sorts of engagements Elena has been relegated to and realize she’s not missing much.

The “personal and family matters” the press is really talking about is normalizing the relationship with her brother. But if that personal relationship is as strained as has been reported for many years now, again, why would she bother? So she can spend a week at Marivent? Maybe not worth it, especially for a person with family and friends willing to provide her with equally nice, if not better, options.

Unless the personal relationship between the siblings isn’t as strained as the public has been led to believe and that’s what the royal household is actually trying to normalize.

It's probably mainly queen Sofía and probably king Juan Carlos who would like the relationship to be normalized and Cristina being accepted back into family life. It's unlikely that initiative comes from queen Letizia and king Felipe might be torn by his position as king and feelings as brother.

It's probably mainly queen Sofía and probably king Juan Carlos who would like the relationship to be normalized and Cristina being accepted back into family life. It's unlikely that initiative comes from queen Letizia and king Felipe might be torn by his position as king and feelings as brother.

But she pretty much is and always has been accepted in family life. On a personal level Felipe and Letizia are two members of a large family, and if it’s true they’ve not maintained a relationship with Cristina, (not sure I believe this), they’re the only ones - at least based on what we can see from public family interactions. There’s nothing more to be accepted into, except a private reconciliation with Felipe and Letizia and I think at this point it’s as likely she’s as finished with them as they are with her. Especially since not all the trouble between them was a result of the Noos case.

I can see how it would be sad for their parents to think the estrangement might be permanent, especially given that the siblings were always said to be close growing up.

She turned 53 today; Iñaki spent most of his time in airports and airplanes; he left early and returned probably late afternoon.

So, 3 years ago she got an early birthday present from her brother (revoking her ducal title) and now her husband got his instructions to turn himself in on her birthday.

It has nothing to do with her birthday. These things are decided by the way the law works. He committed a crime and as he is the King's brother-in-law, he is going to jail, which many I am sure thought he would get away with.

It has nothing to do with her birthday. These things are decided by the way the law works. He committed a crime and as he is the King's brother-in-law, he is going to jail, which many I am sure thought he would get away with.

Of course it doesn't but still it happened to be on her birthday and Felipe revoking her title could have been done in a different week, there was no law prescribing that for her birthday week.

I am quite sure very few people would be happy if he got away with it. While I rather not see anyone go to prison (as in the ideal world no crimes would be committed) that doesn't mean that justice shouldn't be equally applied. I mostly feel for his children but in the end it is their own father who did it to them. I do wonder however whether other people in the royal family or household knew about it and/or even profitted from it knowingly who now keep silent.

I still have Cristina and Inaki's beautiful children on my church's Pray Warriors daily list since all this came to light. Don't care about parents, they knowingly made their beds and now must lay quietly in them. But, those children are 100% innocent. Knowing the media, this situation in their early lives will be brought up every single time their names are mentioned in news unless modern reporters develop class. I truly hope they remain strong and that their family ties remain loving.

If I understand it correctly he is in the prison of Ávila, a 1 1/2 hour drive away from Madrid.

Indeed, most interesting bit of information is that until his arrival this morning the prison only housed female prisoners, so he will be the only male prisinor, so lots of privacy.

Wondering, HOW LONG he actually will stay in prison. I am convinced not the entire time.
How is the Spanish law, will he be pardoned after 2/3 of the time, if he behaved well?
BYe Bine

Last edited:
Can we stay on Topic and away from wild Divorce Speculations-Thank You!

Wondering, HOW LONG he actually will stay in prison. I am convinced not the entire time.
How is the Spanish law, will he be pardoned after 2/3 of the time, if he behaved well?
BYe Bine

he will need to spend there at least 17 months. after that, i believe some permissions could be made. this was what was reported by the media, i am unsure of the details.

BYe Bine

he will need to spend there at least 17 months. after that, i believe some permissions could be made. this was what was reported by the media, i am unsure of the details.

Not sure about the exact procedures either but like everyone else he is not expected to serve the full sentence (as nobody in Spain is). The first 1/4th (in his case 17 months) of the sentence he is not allowed to leave prison, after that initial period he can apply for permissions to leave the prison (but not country) for short durations of time as part of the resocialization process.

His case is high profile so I don't expect any leniency but it would be equally unfair if he had to stay longer just because of public opinion. They surely want to make sure that the official rules are followed.

This page suggests that in Spain conditional release can be granted after 3/4 of the sentence served. Which is a rather long period compared to other European countries; in the case of first time offenders with a sentence of this length:
- 1/3rd: Belgium
- 1/2: UK, Luxembourg, Portugal, France, Italy, Poland
- 3/5th: Greece
- 2/3rd: The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Germany
- 3/4er: Spain

Each country imposes different conditions on conditional release.

Last edited:
The prison in Avila

Back
Top Bottom