Iñaki, Cristina & the NOOS Corruption Investigation and Imprisonment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to clarify: an infanta or anyone else in the line of succession can renounce their rights to succeed to the Crown of Spain, but all renunciations , like any abdication of a monarch, has to be ratified by an organic law, which is a special type of act of parliament that requires, if I am not mistaken, an absolute majority in the Congress of Deputies to be passed.

In other words, Cristina could give up her succession rights, but the renunciation would have to be handled in the same way as her father’s abdication was.

On the issue of royal marriages, the Spanish monarchy is actually slightly different from its European counterparts. In other countries, succession rights are forefeited if a royal marries without consent., so a royal marriage has to be explicitly consented to after consent is asked. In Spain, it is not necessary to ask for and receive consent to a royal marriage; instead, it suffices that the King or the parliament do not explicit prohibit the intended marriage.

The relevant references for all of the points above, which are related to previous posts in this forum, is Art. 57 of the Soanish constitution.

Last edited:
How does the sentencing system in Spain work: is 5 years and 10 months truly 5 years and 10 months or only half or two-thirds (as in the Netherlands)? So, had he been sentenced in the Netherlands, he would be released after 3 years, 10 months and a few weeks (so, early May 2022). The remainder would be 'on probation'.

Last edited:
At last the end of this neverending story

Apparently he can still appeal to the constitutional court. Hopefully he doesn't as there is little reason to expect a different outcome.

How does the sentencing system in Spain work: is 5 years and 10 months truly 5 years and 10 months or only half or two-thirds (as in the Netherlands)?

I don’t know how it works in Spain, but most countries are like the Netherlands in that sense, I.e. people are generally freed before the end of their original sentence. There is nothing abnormal about that.

Thanks Eya, that's 5 months less than the original sentence.
We'll see if and how much of this time Inaki will actually spend inside prison walls.
He was deemed not guilty of one of the charges (administrative fraud of official documents by an official - I'd say that was the part that was committed by the regional officials who were also sentenced); that's why the sentence was reduced by 5 months.

Last edited:
I don’t know how it works in Spain, but most countries are like the Netherlands in that sense, I.e. people are generally freed before the end of their original sentence. There is nothing abnormal about that.

Yes, my guess is that he will only do half of the sentence if not less, he has no previous criminal record, a family and good prognosis.

I think after being full time in prison we will do nighttime only and then stay at home on house arrest / being tagged.

No way he'll be in prison for five years - as no other prisoner would be under similar circumstances.

When does the sentence kick in or is it immediate ? (my google translate is not working).

When does the sentence kick in or is it immediate ? (my google translate is not working).

The Supreme Court ordered the authorities on Mallorca ("La Audiencia de Palma de Mallorca) to take care of the execution of the sentence so they will summon Iñaki to show up and be incarcerated (probably in the next few days).

It's Cristina's birthday tomorrow...

The Audience of Palma cites Iñaki Urdangarin, Diego Torres and Jaume Matas to deliver the orders of entry into prison

They will have to appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm

C.G.P.J - Noticias Judiciales

The Supreme Court ordered the authorities on Mallorca ("La Audiencia de Palma de Mallorca) to take care of the execution of the sentence so they will summon Iñaki to show up and be incarcerated (probably in the next few days).

It's Cristina's birthday tomorrow...

How awful to see your husband being arrested on your birthday, but Iñaki brought it upon himself, so it's time to face the consequences of his bad decisions.

I suppose they can also appeal while Inaki is already in prison. It seems that they can still have one appeal in Spain. And there may be the possibility to take it up to Strasbourg.

The Audience of Palma cites Iñaki Urdangarin, Diego Torres and Jaume Matas to deliver the orders of entry into prison

They will have to appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm

C.G.P.J - Noticias Judiciales

I'm unclear about what this means. Will they have to surrender and enter prison tomorrow, or will they just find out when and where they need to report?

I'm unclear about what this means. Will they have to surrender and enter prison tomorrow, or will they just find out when and where they need to report?

my guess is that they will just be officially told their prison time, and a date will be agreed / dictated. i do not expect him to enter prison right there and then.

I suppose they can also appeal while Inaki is already in prison. It seems that they can still have one appeal in Spain. And there may be the possibility to take it up to Strasbourg.

That's indeed the case. According to an article in El Mundo when someone is sentenced for less than 5 years the constitutional court might decide to keep someone out of prison until a verdict is reached; over 5 years they will be incarcerated and might appeal from prison.

my guess is that they will just be officially told their prison time, and a date will be agreed / dictated. i do not expect him to enter prison right there and then.

I read that normally a few days are given to arrange any personal issues that need to be dealt with; so probably end of this week or at the latest early next week? Not sure whether it will be discussed which prison they will enter. Iñaki probably will ask for a prison that is close to an airport with a direct connection to Geneva so his family can visit him more easily.

Finally justice is served. I hope this is used as a cautionary tale to other royals regarding the misuse of their position for personal gain. My only sympathy is with the children, they are suffering horribly for their parents' poor judgement.

I read that normally a few days are given to arrange any personal issues that need to be dealt with; so probably end of this week or at the latest early next week? Not sure whether it will be discussed which prison they will enter. Iñaki probably will ask for a prison that is close to an airport with a direct connection to Geneva so his family can visit him more easily.

this article mentions that inaki is spending 'his last hours of freedom', so maybe he will indeed enter prison on the day or some days shortly after today.

Se hace justicia con Urdangarin | Opinion Home | EL MUNDO

yes, the prisons being considered (inaki can choose) are those that are easy for his family to get to. it may possibly be badajoz, close to lisbon, where the infanta could get a job with the aga khan foundation, who recently purchased property there for it (unknown whether linked at all with the infanta's need to move closer to spain, given by that time it was clear inaki would enter prison. the aga khan is also good friends with juan carlos, so it is not at all unfeasible that they worked together on this. portugal is also very welcoming to spanish royals who hold a good relationship with the country, juan carlos himself was an exile in estoril.

pedro horrach mentioned in the article below that according to law juan carlos would have had to declare and would have done so if he wasn't 'intouchable' - as much as i am impressed that this wasn't slipped under the covers to save inaki, clearly justice isn't the same for everyone.

http://www.elmundo.es/baleares/2018/06/12/5b1ec177e5fdea0a448b46c9.html

lastly, i am glad this issue gets closure. it has been 7 years already and it was about time to make a decision and move on.

Last edited:
Has Inaki arrived in Court yet?

Iñaki Urdangarin arriving to Court in Palma this morning.

And he will be taken from the Court directly to the prison?

He has 5 days to decide which prison he will enter

Now that is what I call consideration for the sentenced person. No just hauling them off in handcuffs to the local penitentiary but given the choice which penitentiary he prefers. The location to family probably will figure big into this as well as a chance to become familiar with his choices and the reputation of the place he'll choose. Do prisons have star ratings? Amenities? Flat screen TVs in each cell? Are menus available?

But seriously, I like that Inaki has his choice of where he'll do his time at. Makes it a big easier for everyone all the way around.

For those of you in Spain or familiar with the Spanish judicial system, is it normal for a person in his position to be given a choice of prisons?

Now that is what I call consideration for the sentenced person. No just hauling them off in handcuffs to the local penitentiary but given the choice which penitentiary he prefers. The location to family probably will figure big into this as well as a chance to become familiar with his choices and the reputation of the place he'll choose. Do prisons have star ratings? Amenities? Flat screen TVs in each cell? Are menus available?

But seriously, I like that Inaki has his choice of where he'll do his time at. Makes it a big easier for everyone all the way around.

joking aside, some reports mentioned he may favour a prison which was newly built, with not very many people and which had 'a sports ground and acclimatised pool'. made me think that justice in certain countries is an utter joke. acclimatised pool - seriously? the fact that taxpayers dollars pay for that kind of thing makes me sick. whoever thought there was a need for a pool in a prison? might as well make it a five star hotel whilst they are at it. :bang:

I see where you're coming from Carlota and it does make a lot of sense. It seems at times that the prison systems are pandering to the inmates but I think there's a middle road somewhere along the line.

The days of being cooped up in a small cell and 3 rations of bread and water a day and otherwise forgotten are long gone. With people like Inaki that have committed what we call "white collar crimes", the period of incarceration isn't only a punishment, but its also a place of rehabilitation where inmates' health and welfare are considered (hence the sports area and the pool) and there's counseling services and even classes to help prepare for their release back into society when their time is served. Those that have drug or alcohol problems that wind them up in prison also have the option of recovery programs while they're serving time.

Anyway you look at it, prison is not a place that someone would choose to be.

I remember when Cristina and Inaki married. The wedding was beautiful, the bride and groom were fantastic and had amazing chemistry, and their children were simply adorable.

It all seemed such a fairy tale....and now this.

What a shame and a waste.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom