The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just wondering: considering jaime is at the moment "separated" from the infanta, does this mean he still...

1. is styled as the duke of lugo and didn't loose the title?
2. is still part of the royal family?
3. does still carry out royal duties?

what would happen if they divorced? will he be stripped from his title, stripped from any royal privilege, from being part of the royal family (not even "family of the king", just as the infantas and their children?) and give up on his official duties?

Separated doesn't mean divorce. They're still wife and husband.
The title of the "Duke of Lugo" is only his courtesy title. On royal decree the title of the Duquessa de Lugo was given to INFANTA DOÑA ELENA.
Boletín Oficial del Estado. Texto del Documento He will loose this title when Elena decide to remarried after they divorce (if it happen).
I don't think that he would has any royal duties if they would divorce.
At the moment that if he still would has any royal duties depend of the RF and from him.

Last edited:
The children would be better off living with divorced parents than parents constantly at eachothers throats under the same roof, no?:ermm: If its because of a stroke that changed his personality, arent there experts that could possibly help with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
i was just wondering: considering jaime is at the moment "separated" from the infanta, does this mean he still...

1. is styled as the duke of lugo and didn't loose the title?
2. is still part of the royal family?
3. does still carry out royal duties?

what would happen if they divorced? will he be stripped from his title, stripped from any royal privilege, from being part of the royal family (not even "family of the king", just as the infantas and their children?) and give up on his official duties?

While he is separated from the Infanta Elena, Jaime de Marichalar will support the title of Duke of Lugo, if there is divorce, will lose the title. This way it establish the spanish laws, with a noble it would happen the same thing (a recent example the wife of Cayetano de Alba continues being Countess of Salvatierra in spite of her separation, if there is divorce, loses the title). In case of the Infantas, the title belongs to them not to their husbands, they only are Dukes for marriage, not for own right.

Jaime de Marichalar has never had official own activities, he only was coming to official acts accompanying the infanta, and therefore now he will not come to any act in representation of the Wreath. Neither Jaime nor Iñaki have official own activity, only they come to the acts as husbands of the Infantas.

Probably Jaime de Marichalar only comes to family acts related to his children, or to official acts as representative of the companies at which he is employed.

The situation of Jaime and Iñaki is different from that of some European princesses who are for marriage. Their situation, it is not comparable for example to that of Alexandra of Denmark; they never received own title nor realized any activity in solitarily as representatives of the Wreath.

Oftentimes ...

O.The children would be better off living with divorced parents than parents constantly at eachothers throats under the same roof, no?:ermm: If its because of a stroke that changed his personality, arent there experts that could possibly help with that?

Oftentimes, although no one really likes to admit as much ...

DIVORCE can be in the best interest of The Kids and all Parties concerned, you know.

Oftentimes, although no one really likes to admit as much ...

DIVORCE can be in the best interest of The Kids and all Parties concerned, you know.
I wish we new more. The kids will hopefully get through this if in fact it does end up in divorce. Thanks for your input.:flowers:

I agree with you ...

I wish we new more. The kids will hopefully get through this if in fact it does end up in divorce. Thanks for your input.:flowers:

I also wish we KNEW more ... of the facts rather than all these specious and spurious rumours ...

-- :flowers:

Do you think the decision to separate was the result of a long process and if yes, how long might this marriage already be in a crisis? If it´s right that Elena approved of Felipe to marry Letizia and even was (the only one) enthusiastic about his decision she might have already known what would happen to her own marriage and therefore didn´t mind Letizia being a divorcee....(And this would mean, that her marriage was already over when Felipe married Letizia. This is what I believe.)

Sorry for the separation. Hope they resolve their issues discreetly. I always wondered what she saw in him, he's long in the face. Can't imagine him having an affair.

Jaime de Marichalar shakes hands with State Secretary of Comunication, Fernando Moraleda, in presence of Environment delegate, and former Prime Minister's, Jose Maria Aznar, wife, Ana Botella as they attend the Spanish diary "El Mundo" tribute in honour of Spanish writer Francisco Umbral celebrated at Círculo de Bellas Artes, yesterday.
ANP Beeldbank

I agree with MARG, attractive features do not make people happier or marriages more stable. In my eyes, Infanta Elena is an epitome of regal elegance. Duke Lugo proved a good teacher, when it came to fashion... Well... So I have heard.
It is impossible for us to determine what has gone wrong in their relationship. I believe that Dukes of Lugo have made a decision to separate after pondering over it. It will be great, if Infanta Elena finds a suitable person, who will make her truly happy.

Last edited:
I also agree with Marg, at this day and age, to be judge strictly on your looks is an insult to what a person has inside. Elena seems to be a very nice person, who may not be beautiful, I would certainly say she is attractive and I would be proud to have her for a daughter or sister. :bang:
Lets be honest here, the Duke is not Cary Grant now, so why should he be allowed to "attract" a prettier woman? Also, just because someone is percieved as not beautiful doesn't give their spouse the right to look else where. Until there is a seperation, the vowes they made are to be honored!!!:eek:

IMHO Infanta Elena is not conventionally beautiful but she is elegant, intelligent and does her part to support Spain. From what I read elsewhere, she is well liked and much sought after as a patron and guest.

I tend to think of those that make disparaging comments about the looks of others are far uglier inside than the outside of those they are sniping at. I do my best to limit my interactions with them.

In addition Elena is a very accomplished horsewomen.

is it inevitable that they will divorce

what is the current situation with the tiara that belongs to Jamie's family

In the past there have been numerous photos of the Duke attending fashion shows presumably as part of his professional involvement with fashion houses. I have not seen any photos from him attending the spring shows. Is he still involved with the industry or was he merely given a position due to his close relationship and consequently higher status with the Spanish royal family?

Jaime de Marichalar living a restaurant accompanied by his friend Beatriz de Orleans in Paris,Tuesday 26th February 2008
MediumPhoto
Christian Dior Ready to wear fashion show Fall/Winter 2008. Jaime de MARICHALAR Paris, France, February 25th, 2008
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Jaime is having fun!

Last edited:
Jaime de Marichalar living a restaurant accompanied by his friend Beatriz de Orleans in Paris,Tuesday 26th February 2008
MediumPhoto

Christian Dior Ready to wear fashion show Fall/Winter 2008. Jaime de MARICHALAR Paris, France, February 25th, 2008
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Jaime is having fun!

Sorry but are you sure that this is Beatriz de Orléans on the first set of pictures. it's definitely her on the second one.

Sorry but are you sure that this is Beatriz de Orléans on the first set of pictures. it's definitely her on the second one.
I think you are right Assia!:flowers:
The caption on the pics from Mediumphoto say that! They are wrong!
Do you know who is the lady on the pics from Mediumphoto?

Not, I believe that the woman of the first photos is Marisa Yoldi (of Borbón), she is wife of a cousin of the King Juan Carlos and she shares work with Jaime in Loewe.

I think you are right Assia!:flowers:
The caption on the pics from Mediumphoto say that! They are wrong!
Do you know who is the lady on the pics from Mediumphoto?

They also call him "ex husband". Does anybody know when people can legally divorce after seperation in Spain (normal process)? I believe it differs from country to country, between 1 and 3 years. And if live in France and your name is Sarkozy you will be divorced within a week!

They also call him "ex husband". Does anybody know when people can legally divorce after seperation in Spain (normal process)? I believe it differs from country to country, between 1 and 3 years. And if live in France and your name is Sarkozy you will be divorced within a week!

They are separated because they want, in Spain already it is not necessary to pass for the separation before the divorce, it is possible to request the divorce directly.

Here, in Argentina, too. Divorce is a legal affait, while separation is not a formal thing. It only means that you are living separately from your husband or wife.

Vanesa.

That is very sad but if they are not happy then they need to resolve the issue one way or another. The woman in the picture? I dont know but Im wondering if there isnt something more by the body language. If the separation is due to infidelity and a loveless marriage then maybe they should just do what needs to be done and go on especially for the childrens sake, why prolong something that isnt there anymore? :flowers:

Any news concerning the facts? In case they become divorced is there a rule how long they have to be previously separated?

Any news concerning the facts? In case they become divorced is there a rule how long they have to be previously separated?

I think lula answered this question, if I understand correctly in Spain people can divorce without a certain period of separation. I think in Jaimes and Elenas case they were already separated a long time before the official announcement and will divorce as soon as they have agreed on everything.

Maybe Jaime will want to have a nice piece of the money cake as he already notices that it does make a difference being Elenas husband and a member of the SRF or not:

Paloma B writes about the conveniences and advantages he enjoyed as royal consort but now times change and not for the better of Jaimes cost free extensive life style:
Vanitatis.com - Marichalar, del cese temporal a la separación real

I am sure he'll be pleased to read this :D

This is sad news that the princess and duke has seperated I hope somehow
the children will not be hurt because of this split between their parnets.

Besides, divorce doesn't bring happyness...Did you see the last pics of Elena these last times? She es emaciated, sad, with some anguish in her looking. Now she is "free", but I think that this "freedom" doesnt brings her any joy.:sad:

Vanesa.

Hi Vanesa-

Yes, I have seen Elena and she looks very unhappy indeed. So does Jaime to be honest. I just hope none of this does any type of permanent damage to their young children....children who are very sensitive suffer terribly in situations like this one.

I am still hoping that Elena and Jaime can work things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom