The Dukes of Lugo Announce Separation (2007) & Divorce (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something I've wanted to know ever since they got married: does Infanta Elena hold the title Duchess of Lugo suo jure or as spouse of the Duke of Lugo? If she holds it as the Duke of Lugo's spouse, wouldn't she lose the title if divorce occurs?

My understanding is that the title was given to Infanta Elena as a wedding present.

But then there is royal precedent of couples staying married, but separating and living different lives. Archduke Karl and Archduchess Fransesca of Austria springs to mind.

I found it very strange, many other Royal couples have been divorced, so what's wrong with them? I don't know...are they going to live all their lifes like this? Separation only ends with couple's dutties ( fidelity, dwelling together... ) but only divorce ends with the marriage, so maybe they want to keep their marriage for some other reasons despite love :rolleyes:

well, I can't remember divorced royal couples in catholic reigning houses; however I hope they have made the decision of not divorcing (for the moment) not for political reasons but for personal reasons such as sincere catholic faith and hope of reconciliation. That would be sweet (and consistent with their country tradition, if that is important)

well, I can't remember divorced royal couples in catholic reigning houses; however I hope they have made the decision of not divorcing (for the moment) not for political reasons but for personal reasons such as sincere catholic faith and hope of reconciliation. That would be sweet (and consistent with their country tradition, if that is important)

Caroline of Monaco and Philippe Junot spring to mind.

At the Comtesse de Paris Auction, a small silver box was sold : Elena and Jaime 1995.

I think that if the Duke of Lugo did not had important healthproblems after he played tennis ? they should always be to-gether. Jaime's face completely changed since then . That is sad .. and that is life.

Are their pictures of him before out there? I have never seen them

Caroline of Monaco and Philippe Junot spring to mind.

Junot was caught cheating and Ranier and Grace did not like him so they were glad for a reason for Caroline to drop him.And Caroline also eventually went through Vatican channels for an annulment.

I was very saddened when I heard of Elena's separation and was just wondering,yesterday,if a divorce had occurred or not.It would be a wonderful thing for them if a reconciliation were possible.

So far there has been no divorce announced. There also hasn't been anything to suggest either way with regards to the possibility of reconciliation.

it looks like the situation will stay like this for a long time. the biographer pilar urbano claims in her book that

Doña Sofía le ha confesado que doña Elena “sabe que no se puede divorciar. De momento, la Reina me asegura que no se ha dado ningún paso. «Están sacando de donde no hay», me dice. No hay ni abogados ni divorcio ni nada. «Esta situación –y cito a la Reina– puede quedarse como está, empeorar o mejorar, y a lo que estamos es a que dé de sí todo lo que pueda dar.»

what means that we probably will never see a divorce and that elena will lead a life a la birgitta of sweden and her estranged husband, prince hansi.

IT IS NOT OFFICIAL. This newspaper has gone forward, expanding a news and creating confusion, probably for wanting to be the first ones in giving the news, the holder they write it affirming something that then they say that it will take place in the next days . The divorce still is not official, until the Royal House or the attorneys do not communicate it, it will not be official, and for the present time there has been no communiqué.

I gathered the divorce is of mutual accord and has been announced by the Casa Real. Is this accurate?
I wonder if there was an agreement as to what title Jaime will have after an eventual divorce. Too sad.

The El Mundo article says also that it ia almost certain that the Infanta will ask the Vatican for an anulement.
What does exactly means this " La Reina, de hecho, no era partidaria de que las cosas fueran más allá. Piensa que la Monarquía exige estos sacrificios, los mismos que ella ha asumido. Para doña Sofía era prioritario mantener la esencia de la Institución." ? The Queen wanted to wait for the divorce or she was against?
About Jaime's title the article reports rumors about Jaime willing to remain Duke, but says they are probable falses.
Finally all the incomes of the couple are reported (Jaime is very well payed!).

I am so sad to hear this. Their wedding was one of the first royal weddings that I had fully watched on TV.

amedea said:
The El Mundo article says also that it ia almost certain that the Infanta will ask the Vatican for an anulement.
What does exactly means this " La Reina, de hecho, no era partidaria de que las cosas fueran más allá. Piensa que la Monarquía exige estos sacrificios, los mismos que ella ha asumido. Para doña Sofía era prioritario mantener la esencia de la Institución." ? The Queen wanted to wait for the divorce or she was against?
About Jaime's title the article reports rumors about Jaime willing to remain Duke, but says they are probable falses.

According to the article, the Queen was against the divorce. Her priority is maintaining the essence of the Institution of Monarchy, and the Monarchy may require sacrifices, even at the expense of personal life.

The divorce is not yet official (as lula pointed, there hasn’t been an official announcement from Casa Real), however I doubt they would make it up.
I hope they will divorce in the manner of Joachim and Alexandra of Denmark, for the sake of their children.

Last edited:
They have not been seen together since the separation became official and I suppose they gave it the two years and filed for divorce.
In a way it is best for everyone so they can both go on with their lives.
I understand Queen Sofia's feelings about the development and remember an interview she gave once. She had said she would try very hard to convince her children against a marriage if she saw that they would not be happy, but once the marriage took place she'd fight as hard as she could to keep the couple united. I suppose it is a great disappointment for her.

But if Jaime keeps his title and Elena remarries (if she decides to) what would her new husband's title be then?
Also, do you mean Jaime is well payed as in alimony or that he makes good money at his job?

Jaime, will not support the title, as soon as the divorce is official, will stop being Duke of Lugo. The King granted the title to the Infanta, not to Jaime, and he only could use it for his marriage. The press speculates on if Jaime wants a title, and if the King will grant it to him. The King has granted very few nobility titles.

I am curious as to what grounds can they have an anulment? I understand this may not be the case as it has only been reported in the press and not by Casa Real.

It is unfortunate to hear about the divorce and annulment. I am sure that all parties concerned have made a final decision after months of pondering over it.

crm2317,the El Mundo article gives a lot of attention to all the details of a catholic wedding anulement. Elena or Jaime or both will probably claim she/he/they was/were not enough psicologically mature when she/he/they married to fully understand the moral obligations she/he/they was/were accepting.
Sereta, I meant for his job (being a board director of some very important international companies).
Strangely enough will be Elena to receive alimony for the children. Elena earns 200.000 € a year (as director of social and cultural project of Mapfre fundation), Jaime earns about 730.000 € a year. He is a board director of Sociedad General Imobiliaria (the company of Robert de Balkany, former husband of Maria Gabriella of Italy and friend of king Juan Carlos), of Waste Recycling Group, of LMHV (the Arnault's luxury company) and of Credit Suisse. Then Jaime inherited a big patrimony from an aunt, Teresa.

crm2317,the El Mundo article gives a lot of attention to all the details of a catholic wedding anulement. Elena or Jaime or both will probably claim she/he/they was/were not enough psicologically mature when she/he/they married to fully understand the moral obligations she/he/they was/were accepting.
Sereta, I meant for his job (being a board director of some very important international companies).
Strangely enough will be Elena to receive alimony for the children. Elena earns 200.000 € a year (as president of), Jaime earns about 730.000 € a year. He is a board director of Sociedad General Imobiliaria (the company of Robert de Balkany, former husband of Maria Gabriella of Italy and friend of king Juan Carlos), of Waste Recycling Group, of LMHV (the Arnault's luxury company) and of Credit Suisse. Then Jaime inherited a big patrimony from an aunt, Teresa.

Thank you for your answer amedea. I wonder how the Spanish public would react to a divorce. Personally I don't have a problem with a couple seeking a divorce if the relationship no longer works. However I think claiming anulment after 12 years of marriage and two children is strange

I don't like divorce. As a Catholic, I'm not a pro-divorce and for me, a Royal who divorces is no more a Royal. I agree with Queen Sofia. Monarchy needs that Royals makes some sacrifices.

However, I don't doubt that Don Jaime de Marichalar is himself guilty 100% about this divorce and that it was his atttitude that obliged Elena to part. I should want to know WHAT is behind this divorce and WHAT Marichalar did to push Elena to a fact she wouldn't want by herself. What did he do? Maybe we'll never know for sure. But I think there was something awful that Marichalar did to his wife. It's a shame. He has children from her! Poor little ones. They myst have suffered a great deal because this divorce. :cry:

I'm not God to say what is good and what is wrong, but watching at Elena's eyes, I can see her relief and her happyness beinf free of Marichalar's ties. What this kind of mosnter did to her?

Vanesa. :ermm:

I guess I'm going to wait for an official announcement from the Palace before I believe anything. It's a sad thing that divorce is so common today, but society has made it easy to obtain. I'm not for anyone staying in a marriage if there is verbal and/or physical abuse of either spouse involved or continuing addiction, or any very serious situation in a marriage. No person deserves abuse especially. Today couples divorce because they don't want to work at a marriage or have rushed into the ceremony because they're "in love", then realize they really don't know the person they married so it's just as easy to end the marriage.
In Elena's case, I hate to repeat the reason again, but after Jamie's stroke, she went through a lot with his rehabilitation even moving to New York and then I had read he put her through much verbal abuse because of the personality change that happens often after a stroke. I believe Elena held on as long as she could, but she could only put up with so much.
Just in case, I'm also Catholic.

I also add that I'm sure Elena didn't take her decision lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should start a new thread because things will change now. Kind regards

Always a sad affair.People do not meet and stick together to finally end their relation in a divorce.That does take more then a little thought for anyone.But then to realise they've grown apart,are blocking eachother in a way,and have more trouble together then happy moments,it is time to consider what's next.This divorce was in the making from the moment they seperated,except they announce separations as if there are mediators and what not busy to clear matters.There were none.

Catholic or not,dignity and happiness,but first and foremost the happyness of the children comes first.No sense of sticking together for the Jones'ses.That sort of drama has caused way enough troubles and issues,especially when there were/are children involved.

A respected,although old man in the Vatican has no say in the matter,if you don't play the game,you don't mess with the rules.

I only hope each find his/her way again.

It must be very traumatic on their children,with the media & gossip columns,I feel sorry for them .

I never could warm to Jamie,I find Elena a very charming & hard working lady :)

Still no official announcement from the palace?

It's an unfortunate situation, but I hope (and I believe) they're focusing their decisions on the best way forward for their children and for each other.

Does the palace have to make an official announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom