Infanta Elena and the Spanish Paralympic Committee

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
Please, post news, pictures, information and questions about Infanta Elena's work with the Spanish Paralympic Committee in this thread.

Quick Information:
Infanta Elena has always been interested in sports for the disabled and is the Honorary President of the Spanish Paralympics Committee.
She attended the Paralympic games in Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney to support the Spanish participants.

DEPORTES. LA INFANTA ELENA PRESIDIRA MAÑANA LA ASAMBLEA GENERAL DEL COMITÉ PARALÍMPICO ESPAÑOL

THE INFANTA ELENA WILL PRESIDE TOMORROW THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE SPANISH PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE

The infanta Elena de Borbón will preside tomorrow on Monday at the General Assembly of the Paralympic Spanish Committee, which will take place in it sedate of the Top Council of Sports, in Madrid.

In the meeting of the maximum organ of government of the Paralympic Spanish Committee there is foreseen that appears and there is approved the Plan ADOP of next year, the budgets for the same fiscal year and the new Medical Commission.

nice pants ,i am not fond of the coat , it is nice but it doesn't match with the pants!

HRH The Infanta Elena presided over the opening of the Conference 'Challenges of Paralympic Sports: Present and Future', organized by Carmen Pardo-Valcarce Foundation, in Madrid, Spain, 18th of July.

Belga

Belga Image - Editorial

I'm sorry, if the Infanta Elena could make it to Rio to support the Spanish athletes right after breaking her wrist, why couldn't Q Letizia make it out there for the main games? I understand why King Felipe couldn't go, but his consort is there for exactly these sorts of situations.

This is just another reason that I believe Doña Elena would have made a better monarch than her brother.

I'm sorry, if the Infanta Elena could make it to Rio to support the Spanish athletes right after breaking her wrist, why couldn't Q Letizia make it out there for the main games? I understand why King Felipe couldn't go, but his consort is there for exactly these sorts of situations.

This is just another reason that I believe Doña Elena would have made a better monarch than her brother.

Because for 21 years the Infanta Doña Elena is the Honorary President of the Spanish Paralympic Committee, it is logical she represented the Royal House and not Queen Letizia. We can see this in other Royal Houses too:

For 36 years Princess Margriet of the Netherlands is the Lady Patroness of the Netherlands Paralympic Committee. That is also the reason why she did represent the Royal House and not Queen Máxima.

The Honorary Board of the International Paralympic Committee (picture):
HRH The Crown Princess of Sweden
HRH The Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg
Mr Philip Craven, President of the International Paralympic Committee
HSH The Prince of Monaco
HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein
James Wolfensohn, Former President of the World Bank
Maria Guleghina, Opera singer (Soprano)
Therese Rein, Founder of Ingeus
Hassan Ali Bin Ali, Paralymic Ambassador from Qatar

Last edited:
Because for 21 years the Infanta Doña Elena is the Honorary President of the Spanish Paralympic Committee, it is logical she represented the Royal House and not Queen Letizia. We can see this in other Royal Houses too:

the other poster is talking about letizia being present for the olympic, not the paralympic, games. elena was the appropriate person to support the paralympic athletes.

i agree it would certainly have been a good thing to do to support the olympic athletes, even if just for a couple of days. on the other hand, brazil is a long way away and spain is not at its most buoyant time economically speaking, so perhaps wise that letizia kept a low profile and stayed at home. i can just see the headlines of how letizia sneaks for a good time in brazil when the country is politically and economically unstable... :p elena and the paralympics have a lower profile so i guess it wouldn't spark the same comments that letizia's presence would have.

Considering the Political Turmoil Brazil is still in, but especially during the Olympics when they were about to impeach a sitting President & Head of State, it would have been surprising to see either of Their Majesties attending. Especially as Felipe IIRC is Spain's Head of State as well. It's the reason why these Games had the lowest attendance of major World Leaders/Royals at a Summer Olympics in years. No President/PM/Monarch in their right mind would willingly want to enter that hornet's nest and run the risk of saying something that could cause a major Political Mess.

As much as I hate saying it, the Paralympics are still seen as the poorer cousin to the Olympics & therefore "not as important" in the eyes of many. Elena w/all the work she's done for the Paralympic Movement, & the positions she holds w/in it, has to be there. The fact she's "only a "Princess" and not the Monarch/Head of State makes it far easier for her to do so when it comes to the on going issues regarding the Brazilian Govt.

I don't understand criticizing TM for not going when it was the absolute right thing to do considering what was happening in Brazil at that time.

I watched the Live Stream at YouTube of the Swimming competition and was puzzled by something. When Elena presented the Medals, she was introduced in English first as The Princess of Spain and then the rest in Portuguese. Now, I haven't a clue how exactly she was introduced when the switch was made, as I don't speak Portuguese. However, I thought it very, very odd she was not first introduced as Her Royal Highness & then as The Princess of Spain.

Anyone have any idea why it was done like that?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

On September 7 Infanta Elena as Honorary President of the Spanish Paralympic Committee attended a meeting of different International Paralympic entities in Madrid:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Infanta Elena attended the General Ordinary Assembly of the Spanish Paralympic Committee in Madrid today, June 25:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, August 24, Infanta Elena inaugurated the House of Spain with Hiramatsu Kenji, Ambassador of Japan in Spain. The Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be followed at the Palacete de los Duques de Pastrana in Madrid:

** gettyimages gallery **

Back
Top Bottom