The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #961  
Old 11-14-2020, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It really wasn't very nice if her to say there's a lot of racism in Norway, she has no proof of this. There are many reasons why people may not like her boyfriend, it's a cheap call to put it down to racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Eh? There's racism everywhere. There shouldn't be, but it's a fact there is. There is a whole Wikipedia topic dedicated to Norwegian racism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Racism_in_Norway

ML has very good experience of racism in Norway because, sadly, of her boyfriend's skin colour. Many rural parts of the country are still quite monocultural, it tends to be bigger cities and towns that are more multicultural.

I think what sophie25 may possibly have meant to respond to is that in the linked interview the couple imply that there is more racism in Norway than in America and that they consider that the reason why public reaction to their relationship has been more negative in Norway than in America.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #962  
Old 11-14-2020, 06:03 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 4,800
It is so easy to put the stamp "racism" on the situation when all the negative reactions he gets are due to his extremely controversial and dangerous statements.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #963  
Old 11-14-2020, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Maybe someone from Norway can explain to us the exact procedure in Norway: is it just the king that has to give permission? Are there any others involved who need to approve? Or can Märtha Louise marry whomever she wants without any consequences to her place in line of succession?
I will quote a post by Royal Norway (who is from Norway and an expert on the Norwegian monarchy):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
To those who are interested, here's some information about it:

Haakon has said in interviews that when he told his parents about MM's past, the King said, "Is it more?" To which Haakon replied "no" - and the King said that "Dette klarer vi!" (''We'll manage this!'')

And then to the constitutional stuff:

According to the then Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, the King called him to the palace before the engagement - and informed him that Haakon wanted to marry MM.
He told the PM that he knew about Article 36 in the Constitution, which states:
A Prince or Princess entitled to succeed to the Crown of Norway may not marry without the consent of the King. Nor may he or she accept any other crown or government without the consent of the King and the Storting. For the consent of the Storting two thirds of the votes are required.

If he or she acts contrary to this rule, they and their descendants forfeit their right to the throne of Norway.
He explained that he understood that when the word "King" is written in the Constitution, it had to be interpreted as "the King in Council of State'' (which, today, means the government).

But after that, the King said the following: ''Men akkurat når det gjelder denne paragrafen om at kongen må godkjenne kronprinsens ekteskap, vil jeg mene at kongen faktisk er kongen, det vil si meg – og ikke deg''.
("But just when it comes to this Article about that the King must approve the Crown Prince's marriage, I would think that the King is actually the King, that means me - and not you.")

And then it was done, neither Stoltenberg nor any other prime minister could do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Well, as Jens Stoltenberg said in his autobiography:
''Kongen og jeg var skjønt enige om at kronprinsen kom til å gifte seg med den han var glad i, og hvis noen prøvde å nekte ham det, enten det var kongen eller regjeringen, så måtte vi regne med at landet ikke lenger hadde en kronprins.''
(''The King and I agreed that the Crown Prince was getting married to the one he loved, and if anyone tried to deny him that, whether it was the King or the government, then we had to assume that the country no longer had a Crown Prince.'')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The main point for refusal from my point of view would be to acknowledge the country's misgivings about ML's potential spouse.
The country had serious misgivings about every spouse who married into the current royal dynasty up to now. All received permission, as far as it was required.
Reply With Quote
  #964  
Old 11-14-2020, 06:17 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,015
Right. I think there's a fair amount of equivocation when it comes to Mette-Marit and Verrett (and Ari, for that matter), and it's not unreasonable. The problem is that MM's issues did not extend to pathological lying and fraud, for starters.

As has been said, if Harald was so willing to lend a hand to Haakon and MM (and the future of the dynasty) and not-so-willing regarding his daughter and current boyfriend, it needs to be asked why.
Reply With Quote
  #965  
Old 11-14-2020, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,399
Has any recent married in got near the engagement stage (that we know of) and been refused permission when it is needed? I know there was a situation with Friso and Mabel and stories about Eva Sanum ruining her chances with her dress at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding - although we don't know why it actually ended and Letizia is/was a controversial choice in herself. For the most part if a relationship isn't going to work for a particular House it ends long before the couple are talking about it in joint interviews or the equivalent, probably before or soon after it becomes public knowledge. Otherwise permission is given and they adapt from there ala Sofia in Sweden.

Whilst I think this guy is a snake oil salesman *at best* who peddles dangerous quackery and is a liar, I also don't see her parents refusing their blessing and permission, if only to avoid ML cutting them off from herself and her daughters and doing as she likes whilst bad mouthing them over and over again anyway.

I suppose they could ask that she drop her title completely since she openly talks about how she hates royal life so much or enforce her not using it for business as she agreed.

Quote:
As has been said, if Harald was so willing to lend a hand to Haakon and MM (and the future of the dynasty) and not-so-willing regarding his daughter and current boyfriend, it needs to be asked why.
I agree, but two guesses how the narrative of refusing permission of his daughter's African American boyfriend would automatically go, it would have the potential to blow up into an international train wreck, whereas now it's a fluffy side show anywhere that's not Norway and its neighbours.
Reply With Quote
  #966  
Old 11-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
N.B. I still wonder why other countries don't adopt the Dutch requirement for parliamentary permission as that ensures that family dynamics cannot one-sidedly decide on these issues (and wouldn't lessen the blow; it is easier to accept that parliament doesn't approve than that your parent doesn't - even if for dynastic reasons).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Has any recent married in got near the engagement stage (that we know of) and been refused permission when it is needed? I know there was a situation with Friso and Mabel and stories about Eva Sanum ruining her chances with her dress at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding - although we don't know why it actually ended and Letizia is/was a controversial choice in herself.
Have answered to these comments here.
Reply With Quote
  #967  
Old 11-15-2020, 08:27 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,326
The King of Norway is Frail , the Queen is Consort.
Princess Mette Marit is not in good health conditons, but still looks well and happy.
Who will help the future King Haakon ? His daughter who is so young ??
Mârtha's attitude is a Shame
Reply With Quote
  #968  
Old 11-15-2020, 10:29 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Eh?

ML has very good experience of racism in Norway because, sadly, of her boyfriend's skin colour. Many rural parts of the country are still quite monocultural, it tends to be bigger cities and towns that are more multicultural.
Having monocultural regions has nothing to do with racism. Quite often people that live in multicultural regions and are 'bothered' by those minorities are the people that are more racism.
But there is racism everywhere, like someone else posted. But disapproval with behaviour must not be confused with racism.
Reply With Quote
  #969  
Old 11-15-2020, 11:13 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The King of Norway is Frail , the Queen is Consort.
Princess Mette Marit is not in good health conditons, but still looks well and happy.
Who will help the future King Haakon ? His daughter who is so young ??
Mârtha's attitude is a Shame
As has been pointed out earlier in the Norwegian threads the country is used to having a small Royal family. The family has never had more than a maximum of five or six working members and has for the most part of it's 115 year long history had three or four working members. Judging by the optics now I'd say we'll have Haakon, one or two of his parents with a slowly decreasing number of engagements as the years go by and then his wife and daughter part time to cope with health issues and studies for the next ten years or so with Magnus as a reserve if needed. That's more than enough to handle Norway and quite a lot of people by their standards.
Work wise they'll handle it with ease but naturally family wise they could have a rough few years ahead of them.
Reply With Quote
  #970  
Old 11-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
As has been pointed out earlier in the Norwegian threads the country is used to having a small Royal family. The family has never had more than a maximum of five or six working members and has for the most part of it's 115 year long history had three or four working members. Judging by the optics now I'd say we'll have Haakon, one or two of his parents with a slowly decreasing number of engagements as the years go by and then his wife and daughter part time to cope with health issues and studies for the next ten years or so with Magnus as a reserve if needed. That's more than enough to handle Norway and quite a lot of people by their standards.
Work wise they'll handle it with ease but naturally family wise they could have a rough few years ahead of them.
Very true. And there is also Princess Astrid, a hard worker who in spite of health issues can hopefully continue to support her brother in both work and family for years to come.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
This just sounds bizarre:

Quote:
“Being at Durek’s house with his family is a bit like going into the world of Harry Potter,” she says. “There’s a wand coming out and they’re doing spells on each other. Everyone is laughing hysterically and it’s so much fun for me, because I’d put a lid on all of the things I thought as a child because everyone had told me it wasn’t possible, and after a while, I believed them. Suddenly, I’m with a man I love and with his family, who know that magic exists.”

Really? I know people who practice witchcraft and that's not at all what it's like. She's like a kid there. I also notice that he claims to have studied every spiritual practice everywhere from Shamanism with the Lakota, to Haiti to Nigeria to Kabbalah in Israel to Christianity, to Christian Mysticism, to Sufism in Turkey etc. Is there no end to his knowledge and all he does with it is charge fortunes to "energy heal" rich people?

Also ML had an "angel school" for a while. Whilst she may have raised eyebrows with her esoteric interests she wasn't prevented from meeting like minded people from all over the world before and Ari most definitely wasn't a conformist.
Interestingly, the interview says "Ari had told Märtha that he’d always known she’d end up with someone more spiritual and he was happy they were together". The King and some members of the royal family are reputed to be religious, but Norway is broadly a secular country. In the United States, on the other hand, the article states that "about three fifths [of Americans] say they believe in something like spiritual energy or astrology, according to Pew Research Center". So that seems to be a factor in the princess's liking for the Verrett family and America.
Reply With Quote
  #971  
Old 11-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Interesting, the interview says "Ari had told Märtha that he’d always known she’d end up with someone more spiritual and he was happy they were together". The King and some members of the royal family are reputed to be religious, but Norway is broadly a secular country. In the United States, on the other hand, the article states that "about three fifths [of Americans] say they believe in something like spiritual energy or astrology, according to Pew Research Center". So that seems to be a factor in the princess's liking for the Verrett family and America.
I'm not even sure it's that. I don't know about Norway but there are plenty of places in Europe where "belief in a spiritual energy" of some sort including astrology, crystals, Reiki etc is a lot more popular than any organised religion and plenty of families with a fun, warm energy who are not necessarily mainstream in their beliefs. She could just as easily have met a British version of Durek (I've had the dubious pleasure of meeting some) or a Norwegian who practices Germanic Heathenry who is not out for conning people out of money for example but she had a friend who introduced him because he was already friends with lots of other famous, well connected people.

She just made it seem ridiculous because various forms of shamanism, witchcraft, wicca, heathenry (which is all gaining popularity in Europe and the US) don't in any way whip out wands and start casting spells at each other like in Harry Potter as she's describing. She may really get on well with them and enjoy their energy but she sounded silly saying that.
Reply With Quote
  #972  
Old 11-15-2020, 12:26 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,435
Of course she sounds silly......
Reply With Quote
  #973  
Old 11-15-2020, 06:01 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Having monocultural regions has nothing to do with racism. Quite often people that live in multicultural regions and are 'bothered' by those minorities are the people that are more racism.
But there is racism everywhere, like someone else posted. But disapproval with behaviour must not be confused with racism.
That's true. In some monocultural regions here in England, though, and I speak from personal accounts of black friends who have visited them, racism is very prevalent. In many others, however, they are simply interested by other cultures rather than actually having prejudiced views towards them. Rapper Akala mentioned in his recent book that when he first visited his white cousins who live in a remote part of the Hebrides, one of them asked him why he was "brown", but not in a racist sense, just purely because she was curious.

Nowhere though did I say that disapproval with behaviour must be confused with racism - not sure where that came about. I simply said that ML would have experience of Norwegian racism due to the Shaman's skin colour, which is a sad reality.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #974  
Old 11-15-2020, 06:24 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Nowhere though did I say that disapproval with behaviour must be confused with racism - not sure where that came about. I simply said that ML would have experience of Norwegian racism due to the Shaman's skin colour, which is a sad reality.
The issue that many seem to be pointing out is that what ML might have perceived as racism might to some or a large extent not be racism but criticism of her boyfriend because of his behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #975  
Old 11-15-2020, 06:45 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The issue that many seem to be pointing out is that what ML might have perceived as racism might to some or a large extent not be racism but criticism of her boyfriend because of his behavior.
Oh course you are perfectly right !
Reply With Quote
  #976  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:07 AM
cathy50's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Salta, Argentina
Posts: 114
the german tv had the two in the news all morning long, saying they are going to get married ( my niece translated) . but I read nothing similar anywhere else. does so,ebody know more?
Reply With Quote
  #977  
Old 11-17-2020, 09:19 AM
principessa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Schweinfurt, Germany
Posts: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
the german tv had the two in the news all morning long, saying they are going to get married ( my niece translated) . but I read nothing similar anywhere else. does so,ebody know more?
Do you know which german tv?
__________________
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Reply With Quote
  #978  
Old 11-18-2020, 03:15 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,173
Rejoice.

I bring you some quotes from a Durek podcast, published a couple of days ago, where Durek and ML talk about themselves - a favorite topic for most people...
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prinsesse-m...ror-vi-er-gale

It is no secret that both of them claim to have paranormal abilities.
Something that may be difficult to comprehend for most people, the couple realize: They know "that all Norwegians think they are mad" when Durek and ML talk about their skills. "But it doesn't matter."

The couple had to get to know each other and and learn about their different paranormal skills.
Durek elaborates that he at first didn't understand the scale of the Norwegian Princess' skills. That he first had to get used to the fact that she could read his mind - and had contact with people who are deceased.
He explains that she one day all of a sudden exclaimed: "I have just been talking with your aunt on the other side and she wanted me to convey a message."

Durek goes on: "She talks with all my relatives and she talks with trees. And if I plan something in my head/mind, she knows exactly what I think. And if I lie, she laughs. She won't let me get away with anything."

Durek's visit on her birthday was a surprise explained ML on Instagram: "I love surprises. And the best surprise ever is you, turning up on my birthday, Shaman Durek, after six long months, where we have been apart."
Reply With Quote
  #979  
Old 11-18-2020, 03:20 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Rejoice.

I bring you some quotes from a Durek podcast, published a couple of days ago, where Durek and ML talk about themselves - a favorite topic for most people...
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prinsesse-m...ror-vi-er-gale

It is no secret that both of them claim to have paranormal abilities.
Something that may be difficult to comprehend for most people, the couple realize: They know "that all Norwegians think they are crazy" when Durek and ML talk about their skills. "But it doesn't matter."

The couple had to get to know each other and and learn about their different paranormal skills.
Durek elaborates that he at first didn't understand the scale of the Norwegian Princess' skills. That he first had to get used to the fact that she could read his minds - and had contact with people who are deceased.
He explains that she one day all of a sudden exclaimed: "I have just been talking with your aunt on the other side and she wanted me to convey a message."

Durek goes on: "She talks with all my relatives and she talks with trees. And if I plan something in my head/mind, she knows exactly what I think. And if I lie, she laughs. She won't let me get away with anything."

Durek's visit on her birthday was a surprise explained ML on Instagram: "I love surprises. And the best surprise ever is you, turning up on my birthday, Shaman Durek, after six long months, where we have been apart."


Rejoice indeed You made my night after a really hard day at work. Nothing lifts my spirits more then hearing these two talk about themselves


The talk with his relatives would not be so creepy to read if you didnt know him, and he wasn't talking the living kind she calls up on the phone.
Reply With Quote
  #980  
Old 11-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 161
Working royal or not, as long as she calls herself a "Princess of Norway", it's really inappropriate for her to say that "all Norwegians think I'm mad, but it doesn't matter."

If Märtha does indeed recognize whenever the shaman is lying, that would be a good thing though
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american american history ancestry baby names britannia british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii emperor family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs imperial household jacobite jewellery jewelry kensington palace list of rulers luxembourg maxima monarchy mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family pless princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress spain stuart sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×