Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's a masterstroke. It's way too long to be effective, for one thing. CYA, as they say. I don't see Harald as weak, though. In any form.

It's also very soft — ML did very little for the NRF anyway.

Will the couple actually maintain the use of "Märtha Louise" in public life and for business purposes? We'll see.

I will need some time to digest the announcement, but my initial reaction is that the press release is a masterstroke in diplomacy, clear communication, futureproofing, and optics - and ingenious in balancing all the demands required of a major announcement about such a sensitive issue involving public and private, national and international concerns. King Harald V, and those advising him, are truly a gift to Norway.
I wholeheartedly agree. This decision and announcement has been well managed between the NRF, the Princess' household and the Norwegian government.

I wholeheartedly agree. This decision and announcement has been well managed between the NRF, the Princess' household and the Norwegian government.

I do too, very wise, very diplomatic. Much much better than how the Danish Queen handled her recent decision of stripping her second son's family of their titles. And they did not misbehave or caused scandals like ML did!

It all depends on ML and Durek walking the line, we'll see about that.
Obviously they wanted to avoid a Danish shitstorm and took the soft approach.

Just to comment on a comment upthread, Harald and Sonja are not "weak." What are they going to do? Threaten to send Martha to her room with no supper if she doesn't ditch him? She's 50. She'll marry him if she wants to, and no one can legally stop her. They had no choice but to deal with this BS in the best way possible that at least left an avenue open to have a relationship with their granddaughters in the future.

If it were me, I'd have stripped her of her title and told her she can go forth into the world as Mrs. Verrett and neither of them would be welcome in Norway for anything less than a wedding or a funeral, but that's because I have no tolerance for people like him and those who enable them.

Interesting the King and Queen actually gave a press conference and had the guts to face the press to answer questions about their actions. They did not act like they were oblivious or too entitled to subject themselves to press questions. But then again, this seems to have been done more as a family than as monarch and subjects. Glad they didn't just put out some cold, out-of-the-blue, statements and then sit back to let others deal with the fallout. Now THAT would have been weak and cowardice.

A very wise decision seems to have come out of the process, especially the fact that Durek will NOT be able to use the Princess title in any commercial endeavor. Also having ML come out in favor of the traditional health care system, (which is highly rated in Norway) will hopefully help put an end to the sales of the snake oil that her fiancee peddles.

I am trying to understand how this is different from the original announcement 3 years ago. My main take is that while it was already forbidden for Märtha Louise to not use 'princess' in her business dealings, this now extends to Durek as well. Moreover, she will only keep one royal patronage (Princess Märtha Louise's Fund) - however, she already majorly reduced her engagement over the last few years. So, it all seems like a lot of window dressing and little substance.

Over the last year (2022) she's had 8 activities in total of which 2 for the Princess Märtha Louise's Fund (which she will continue), 2 activities related to Ingrid-Alexandra's birthday (which she will continue to attend) and 1 sporting event (which she will continue to attend). So the only activities that she might (because 2 of them might be debatable) no longer attend are:
- Official dinner for Norwegian Olympians and Paralympians (but could be considered 'sporting event')
- Luncheon for Albert & Charlene (but could be considered a family event)
- Opening of Guide Dog's Center (that would be hard to keep - as it seems a real royal event; she might even be their royal patron)

Also looking back at 2021, it again shows that the impact for Märtha Louise is minimal.
- Funeral service (will remain)
- Board meeting (will remain)
- Digital greeting (will be discontinued)
- Luncheon for PML Fund (will remain)
- Dinner for Olympians (unclear; probably discontinued)
- Luncheon & Gala dinner for Dutch state visit (will be discontinued - but this state visit was the exception, she normally doesn't participate but only did so because of the close relationship to the Dutch Royal Family)

So, all in all, it will impact on average 1-2 events a year.

A very wise decision seems to have come out of the process, especially the fact that Durek will NOT be able to use the Princess title in any commercial endeavor. Also having ML come out in favor of the traditional health care system, (which is highly rated in Norway) will hopefully help put an end to the sales of the snake oil that her fiancee peddles.

The official announcement also included a lot of 'alternative healthcare' that they intend to continue to promote (and commercialize) but officially 'in addition to' the regular health care system.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fortunately, Norway has a wise king who listens to his people. The question is, however, whether the current
solution is enough, or whether it only contributes to continued long agony."
https://www.nettavisen.no/norsk-deb...n-bidra-til-fortsatt-seigpining/o/5-95-746163

The correspondent has a point! However the King chose a softer
solution…….to begin with! Besides, when reading the statements of
the King, I think it might be a good idea to read between the lines
as well!

Harald and Sonja's weakness could drive the most staunch monarchist to cry for the abolishment of the monarchy. The crazy middle age woman is relieved from her duties but keeps her title and he, the man who claims unhappy people die of cancer (maybe my darling mother, who died of cancer at 38, should have been "happier"), gets to be part of the royal family.

They are versed when it comes to bringing all kinds of "peculiar" people into their family, fine, that's their business. But they are not entitled to disgrace the country's name.

Maud taking part in Masked Singer, Haakon's setpson dating someone who makes MM look like a Disney Princess. Enough is enough.

I agree it doesn't look good, but what really matters is if this arrangement is acceptable to the Norwegian people and the Norwegian government. Our opinion is not particularly relevant here.

"Afterwards, however, Märtha Louise apologized and said that she was very sorry that she had used her princess title for the lecture tour . (2019)

Even so, her shaman fiancé has recently applied to the US Patent Office for the exclusive right to use precisely the trademark "The Princess and the Shaman".

However, Märtha Louise has assured that the application must be withdrawn - it just hasn't happened yet."
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/krise-i-det-norske-kongehus-prinsesse-eller-ej

Did not know Durek was/is trying to trademark "The Princess and the Shaman"

I want to be optimistic but ...

Two more observations:

1) it is interesting that the statement explicitly mentions that it was Crown prince Haakon (together with the Head of the Court) who worked on this 'deal' - and not the king himself. So, Haakon is more and more making preparations for his reign (and acting as a regent for his father).

2) both Märtha Louise's and the court's statements explicitly state that this is the deal 'for now/the present', they clearly want to keep the door open for Märtha Louise to return to royal duties.

I hope she makes him sign a prenup.

I agree it doesn't look good, but what really matters is if this arrangement is acceptable to the Norwegian people and the Norwegian government. Our opinion is not particularly relevant here.

Like....I'm half Norwegian, my opinion is relevant. Especially when all those jolly people that are oh, so excited about the most magnificent and courageous statement of the century, seem to ignore (not on purpose, of course!) that Märtha Louise posted a video, making a statement the like of which had not been seen or heard since Churchill. Not a single apology, but rather a confirmation of their commitment towards their most twisted conception of "alternative medicine". The thing is, a meditation course in Vipassana is legitimate, medallions that "cure" Covid are NOT. Maybe Durek should sell her one to see if it cures her from her entitlement, now that would be miraculous.

But there was no way mummy and daddy would take the Princess title away from her, didn't Harald move all the strings to grant her diplomatic immunity just to save her from testifying in Court when she slept with someone else's husband? Bless them, really.

Last edited:
Being half-Norwegian is immaterial to what Mbruno said. Unless you live in Norway and are therefore impacted by actions or decisions taken by the Norwegian Royal Family, you can feel however you want to feel, but at the end of the day, it's irrelevant to what they will choose or choose not to do.

I'm half-Danish. QMII's decision to strip her younger son's children of their princely title and style doesn't impact me in the slightest, and my opinion that it was the right thing to do (but gone about in the wrong way) is irrelevant to whether or it not she should have done it.

Oof, being half-Norwegian is "immaterial", thanks for the valuable information! I don't have to post my address for you to grant permission on what is or isn't relevant. But since I pay taxes in NORWAY (and EVEN IF I DIDN'T) I can say whatever I want about what I consider to be a disgraceful royal family.

Last edited:
In this forum everyone's opinion is relevant. This is a royalty forum where people from all over the world discuss royalty, including this particular subject.

Time to drop it and move on from this line of discussion.

"Afterwards, however, Märtha Louise apologized and said that she was very sorry that she had used her princess title for the lecture tour . (2019)

Even so, her shaman fiancé has recently applied to the US Patent Office for the exclusive right to use precisely the trademark "The Princess and the Shaman".

However, Märtha Louise has assured that the application must be withdrawn - it just hasn't happened yet."
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/krise-i-det-norske-kongehus-prinsesse-eller-ej

Did not know Durek was/is trying to trademark "The Princess and the Shaman"

I want to be optimistic but ...

Is this like the Romanovs and Rasputin 2.0? :ohmy:

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this like the Romanovs and Rasputin 2.0? :ohmy:

Only "royal family plus conman". "Rasputin" doesn't actually have any influence over any of the working royals or any of the other family members, as far as we know.

Could he still do some damage? Remains to be seen, but Harald and Haakon appear to be trying to neutralize his link at all.

It's also worth noting Rasputin seems to have at least soothed an extremely ill child and relieved some of his pain. Has Verrett even done that much? :whistling:

Note 2: the Romanovs were never as well liked as the NRF, only tolerated by a majority up to a point.

Last edited:
I still can't get past his title of Shaman like he was some sort of discount Gandalf meets QVC shopping network. :lol:

The more recent comparison would be the Hofmans crisis in the Netherlands. But then it was the monarch who was being directly influenced.

I still can't get past the fact his name is actually Derek, not Durak. I honestly laughed when I read that today. I guess Derek wasn't exotic enough...

Last edited:
Haakon was asked about the renouncing of royal work for Martha Louise.
https://www.vg.no/rampelys/i/xgmL2j...en-om-prinsesse-martha-louise-en-bra-loesning
He leaves it open for her possibility returning.

So nothing really was done. She keeps her title, the little work she did for the royal family will stop. Even though the organization were already dropping her. Durek and her will promise not to use the princess title anymore. Let see if he drops the patent of trademarking it lol.

added:
another article with Haakon's responses
https://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/bryter-tausheten/77707726

Last edited:
I still can't get past the fact his name is actually Derek, not Durak. I honestly laughed when I read that today. I guess Derek wasn't exotic enough...

It might also have something to do with the fact he had a criminal past as "Derek".

Why I find it easier to call him "Verrett".

At times like this, I begin to wonder if certain royal courts should work like the Netherlands in terms of accepting or declining membership of prospective brides and grooms into the royal house. I get they are not yet married, but I’m quite sure they will marry at some point.

I think it was very well done personally. I do wonder whether events in Denmark may have impacted the outcome in Norway - maybe there was a fear ML could do as Joachim did and "speak out" and I suspect that may have also involve included claims of racism. It also leaves something left for them to take away if ML and Derek don't stick to their side of the deal.

I like the way Harald and Sonja have quite openly dealt with the issue and the suggestions of racism, making clear that they don't view it all as issues of race but understanding what monarchy and the crown is all about - quite subtly making clear at least a huge part of it is Derek needing to understand what monarchy is about. I think the press conference was a good move - it showed they are willing to talk about it, suggesting no hard feelings and also showing that this was a move within the family alongside the demands of their public roles. It certainly gave off a better impression vs the Danish Queen staffing out a similar issue within her family and announcing it via a statement. I suspect this may always have been the way it would have been done (the King & Queen seem much less stuffy and formal than their Danish cousin) but I do wonder if it was in some part influenced by seeing the fall out to the Danish way.

I read a few articles suggesting this was actually the desired outcome in most polls asked in Norwegian media (though happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) so it seems really quite a "neat solution".

I do think a lot more Royal Courts should look into the Dutch idea (and the Swedish do similar I think) of a "Royal House" vs "Royal Family" with a clear demarcation that only those in the Royal House do official royal duties, receive any official support in terms of finance, offices etc and expected to behave in a certain way, upholding certain standards.

Last edited:
I think it was very well done personally. I do wonder whether events in Denmark may have impacted the outcome in Norway - maybe there was a fear ML could do as Joachim did and "speak out" and I suspect that may have also involve included claims of racism. It also leaves something left for them to take away if ML and Derek don't stick to their side of the deal.

I like the way Harald and Sonja have quite openly dealt with the issue and the suggestions of racism, making clear that they don't view it all as issues of race but understanding what monarchy and the crown is all about - quite subtly making clear at least a huge part of it is Derek needing to understand what monarchy is about. I think the press conference was a good move - it showed they are willing to talk about it, suggesting no hard feelings and also showing that this was a move within the family alongside the demands of their public roles. It certainly gave off a better impression vs the Danish Queen staffing out a similar issue within her family and announcing it via a statement. I suspect this may always have been the way it would have been done (the King & Queen seem much less stuffy and formal than their Danish cousin) but I do wonder if it was in some part influenced by seeing the fall out to the Danish way.

I read a few articles suggesting this was actually the desired outcome in most polls asked in Norwegian media (though happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) so it seems really quite a "neat solution".

I don’t think they can be lauded. She agreed. End of problem. It’s also what she wanted. The Swedish royal family agreed. It worked for them. Joachim, wives and sons just embarrassed themselves. And really you could say the same for PH and MM. The royal houses don’t seem to have problem with modernising and sliming down. Problem is that in some, some of the ones affected kick off.

I do think a lot more Royal Courts should look into the Dutch idea (and the Swedish do similar I think) of a "Royal House" vs "Royal Family" with a clear demarcation that only those in the Royal House do official royal duties, receive any official support in terms of finance, offices etc and expected to behave in a certain way, upholding certain standards.
I agree with you completely and especially on your last paragraph.

Norway has always had a Royal House vs. Royal Family. Ingrid Alexandra is in one. Her brothers are not. (Marius may not even be in either; I'm never sure.)

I don’t think they can be lauded. She agreed. End of problem. It’s also what she wanted. The Swedish royal family agreed. It worked for them. Joachim, wives and sons just embarrassed themselves. And really you could say the same for PH and MM. The royal houses don’t seem to have problem with modernising and sliming down. Problem is that in some, some of the ones affected kick off.

I don't think it's that much of a solution, either, and the ball may have simply been kicked further down the road, but avoiding the poor implementation and PR crash of a Danish "solution" is something. For now.

Norway has always had a Royal House vs. Royal Family. Ingrid Alexandra is in one. Her brothers are not. (Marius may not even be in either; I'm never sure.)

I don't think it's that much of a solution, either, and the ball may have simply been kicked further down the road, but avoiding the poor implementation and PR crash of a Danish "solution" is something. For now.

They only avoided it because she doesn’t care. If she was furious it would be exactly the same.

They only avoided it because she doesn’t care. If she was furious it would be exactly the same.

If she doesn't care, why go to all that trouble to placate her? Ever consider that ML is the one with more to lose by falling out with her family than vice-versa, accomodating though they might be?

Back
Top Bottom