Princess Märtha Louise & Family Current Events Part 8: May 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Svensk Damtidning have some excerpts from the interview: https://www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/martha-louise-om-sin-barndom-jag-hade-ingen-ratt-att-ma-daligt/

It's pretty much what she has been saying all along in regards to her not fitting in the royal lifestyle and not feeling she could live up to the expectations of her.
The book presents her and her view in a very sympathetic light.

Followers of ML are probably familiar with all this, so I don't know if there is any reason form me to translate the quotes.

ML has caused controversy again and since she and Durek have started a feud with the Norwegian press, they are extra vigilant.

As you may recall ML made a deal with the NRF (and government) not to use her princess title in commercial contexts.
But at a meditation seminar, she was listed as Princess of Norway.

The press contacted the court, who knew nothing, but presumed the organisors had taken some liberties and they would look into the matter.
Then Norway was omitted, by the title of princess was retained.
And finally the title of princess was removed.
But on a YouTube video about and from the meditation seminar, Princess Märtha Louise of Norway appeared again.

- So are the organizers merely making mistakes.
Or is ML stretching the boundaries, by not making her position crystal clear and making sure organizers adhere to her requests about omitting her title?

https://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/ny-tittelblemme-for-martha-louise/72491703
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prinsesse-...louise-bryder-kongehusets-retningslinjer-igen

It seems to be ML's doing
Speakers or presenters for seminars register themselves the way they want to be presented. So the fact that Princess of Norway keeps coming up is no mistake.

Yeah I don't see ML correcting the organization when she sees her title as princess listed. The math $$$ just doesn't add up when the title disappears ; )

The royal court, her father, have already come to a decision on the use of title for commercial gain. She should respect it.

In following this saga, IMO, ML is going to stretch her royal title as far as she can, see what she can get away with and what monies she can make. Perhaps her title needs to be removed from her totally since she is not adhering to what was agreed on.

Where does ML get her income from? Does she work? Thanks

In following this saga, IMO, ML is going to stretch her royal title as far as she can, see what she can get away with and what monies she can make. Perhaps her title needs to be removed from her totally since she is not adhering to what was agreed on.

Where does ML get her income from? Does she work? Thanks

Yes, she is working for her income.
And considering her private spending she has severe problems making ends meet.

I suggest you do a search in Royal Norway's posts. He has provided us with a good picture of her finances.

I would imagine it's both ML's and the organisation's doing but mostly it's on her to give final approval on what they can and can't use to advertise her.

"Princess" gets her and them far further than just plain Martha Louise would, especially if this is an online seminar and they want to attract people from all over the world who wouldn't necessarily know who she is. So many royals, ex royals, divorced from royals who sell things commercially have tried to use their connections in advertising, even if things have been agreed otherwise.

What would be an appropriate manner to refer to Märtha Louise, as I assume organizations aren't used to announce people with only a first name. So would 'Märtha Louise of Norway' be appropriate? Or is there a different surname the family uses?

Her married name is Behn. I dot know if in Norway, its customary for a divorced woman to go back to her surname...and I don't know what the surname of the Norway RF is...

Her married name is Behn. I dot know if in Norway, its customary for a divorced woman to go back to her surname...and I don't know what the surname of the Norway RF is...
Even while married she never presented herself as 'Behn' - unlike her aunts who used 'princess X, mrs Y'; so, it seems unlikely that she would start using it now.

But it would indeed be interesting to know which countries have the custom of returning to maiden name after a divorce (for example, the Netherlands (officially the name never changed) and Luxembourg) and which don't (for example, the UK).

Glücksborg?

That would indeed be the most likely but I don't think it was ever used - but she could be the first :) They probably need a 'solution' of Sverre Magnus eventual children as well. Or would they be prince(ss) of Norway (without royal highness of course, as he himself isn't one either)?

Her married name is Behn.

It was not. Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid are the only two titled royals who have ever been registered in the Folkeregisteret with a surname.

And as explained by Princess Märtha Louise herself in 2003:

One thing the couple have decided is that the baby's family name will be Behn, since, as the princess remarked "I don't have a surname."​

and I don't know what the surname of the Norway RF is...

What would be an appropriate manner to refer to Märtha Louise, as I assume organizations aren't used to announce people with only a first name. So would 'Märtha Louise of Norway' be appropriate? Or is there a different surname the family uses?

As it was her own choice to refer to herself on a first-name basis on her commercial Instagram account when the decision was first announced, I suppose that would be the appropriate usage. But according to Mr. Hoelseth she used Glücksburg, which is the name of the Royal House, as an informal surname as a student.

They probably need a 'solution' of Sverre Magnus eventual children as well. Or would they be prince(ss) of Norway (without royal highness of course, as he himself isn't one either)?

Well, they certainly cannot be Prince(ss) of Norway as long as Prince Sverre Magnus himself is not. :flowers: While "of Norway" is used for convenience when dealing with international audiences, my understanding is that the official title is merely Prince or Princess. This is as stated in the announcement of his title in 2005.

Yeah I don't see ML correcting the organization when she sees her title as princess listed. The math $$$ just doesn't add up when the title disappears ; )

The royal court, her father, have already come to a decision on the use of title for commercial gain. She should respect it.

It's a bit like Tessy Anthony still using her Grand Ducal connections even after she divorced Prince Louis. It's all for €€€.

It was not. Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid are the only two titled royals who have ever been registered in the Folkeregisteret with a surname.

And as explained by Princess Märtha Louise herself in 2003:

As it was her own choice to refer to herself on a first-name basis on her commercial Instagram account when the decision was first announced, I suppose that would be the appropriate usage. But according to Mr. Hoelseth she used Glücksburg, which is the name of the Royal House, as an informal surname as a student.​
I'd say an Instagram is different than the formal name other should use to refer to you. Many people will not use their first and last name as the name of their Instagram-account.

Well, they certainly cannot be Prince(ss) of Norway as long as Prince Sverre Magnus himself is not. :flowers: While "of Norway" is used for convenience when dealing with international audiences, my understanding is that the official title is merely Prince or Princess. This is as stated in the announcement of his title in 2005.
One thing the couple have decided is that the baby's family name will be Behn, since, as the princess remarked "I don't have a surname."​
It doesn't specifically state anything about him being a prince of Norway or not; they also don't refer to Ingrid Alexandra or even the king or queen as 'of Norway' but as (HRH princess Ingrid Alexandra) and HM Queen Sonja. So, while I understand that within the country it is irrelevant to mention the 'of Norway', do they really not have any designation? If so, on what basis are they using it internationally? What surname would be used at school?

Last edited:
I hope the exhibition proves to be a cathartic experience for them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martha Louise proud for her Emma:

"My little angel won her first Mini Prix today with the most amazing Lyncott Fancy Pants."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCQ0N-zguCo/

And the Shaman has commented and congratulated
"Emma my love I am so proud of you. I'm jumping through the roof with joy for your win. I watched your jumps this morning and you are a champion darling. You take after your beautiful mother in jumping. Congrats angel. Love you so much "

Poor girl. Imagine the teasing at school...

Is his message of congratulations seen as unusual from an European perspective? In an American context I think it would be unremarkable.

Is his message of congratulations seen as unusual from an European perspective? In an American context I think it would be unremarkable.

To an American, (me), it is way over the top and way overly loaded with saccharine to the extent that it comes across, at least to me, as words spouted from a mouth that wants to be eloquent yet fails miserably. :D

These posts are a dime a dozen on social media from parents. People thinking their children hung the stars and gushing over them like crazy. Heck grandparents are even worse.

If any of the kids she goes to school with follow ML on Instagram (highly unlikely) they likely have seen similar from other parents.

Yes.
It comes across as insincere.

Especially as Durek is not a close relative or her step-father.
I find it a little creepy actually. Not that I in all honesty suspect Durek of having any tendencies towards children. It's just that had he been a Scandinavian I would keep a close eye on him.
Had she been my daughter I would have written something like: "Congratulations, (insert term of endearment). Well done!" (Additional praise would be face to face.)

Cultural differences are a funny thing.

Yes.
It comes across as insincere.

Especially as Durek is not a close relative or her step-father.
I find it a little creepy actually. Not that I in all honesty suspect Durek of having any tendencies towards children. It's just that had he been a Scandinavian I would keep a close eye on him.
Had she been my daughter I would have written something like: "Congratulations, (insert term of endearment). Well done!" (Additional praise would be face to face.)

Cultural differences are a funny thing.

I'm totaly with Muhler on that; for me European it ist totaly OTT - and kind of creepy sounding.

I don't even think it is healthy for the children to be so gushed over - quite the contrary.

Back
Top Bottom