Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But Durek is the worst royal son-in-law I can think of. In most European monarchies he would probably not be allowed to join the Royal Family.

I forget how he met ML (and honestly don't care that much), but do you think it's really a coincidence he ended up with the one monarchy he is being allowed into, the one with a nice little close family and permissive history of marriage controversy? :ermm:

Which is to say, bluntly, he could have looked them up a long time ago. :sad:

Last edited:
That's not exactly what Sonja said. She said he could do what he wanted without 'engaging them' (she used comprometernos - so engage 'us' (not himself)), so, I take that to mean that he thought he could do what he wanted and didn't realize it would affect them.

Yes, affect them.

King Harald: Han trodde han kunne gjøre hva han ville uten at det gikk ut over oss i det hele tatt.
He thought he could do what he wanted without it affecting us at all.

Queen Sonja: Men det har han forstått nå, at vi er sammen om dette. At han også må ta hensyn til hva vi står for.
But he has understood that now, that we are in this together. That he must also take into account what we stand for.

Thanks for the correct translation! :flowers:
When I read El Pais news I can't tell when they go by the exact translation from Swedish or added in a touch of tabloid to make it a scandalous article in Spanish.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Then yes, Harald. Does his Norwegian born and raise Princess daughter not understand monarchies and what is expected? It seems to me they want to blame Durek being American instead of blaming their daughter. And maybe admitting that it is the Norwegian Princess who is a willing participant in using the Princess title in tiktok, instagram, magazines, low rated US tv shows. etc.

I can see why they didn't mention Martha in any of that. Saying even diplomatically "and our daughter who was raised to know better has also agreed not to do any of this, AGAIN and promises she means it this time" would throw more fuel on the fire rather than calm it which is what they were trying to do. The BRF don't release a statement saying "FFS, Harry *knows* this is why this thing is!" as tempted as they might be to do so. Because it wouldn't help matters.

I forget how he met ML (and honestly don't care that much), but do you think it's really a coincidence he ended up with the one monarchy he is being allowed into, the one with a nice little close family and permissive history of marriage controversy?

Which is to say, bluntly, he could have looked them up a long time ago.

Apparently a mutual friend introduced them, clearly knowing they were soulmates ;). It's possible that he could have asked for an introduction (he clearly does love her title) but who knows? It's not just the NRF's marriage history that's important here but ML being the sort of person to wholesale buy the dubious stuff he was selling.

I wonder what the late Princess Ragnhild would think of all this. But more importantly, I hope that the Durek mess will be over in a week and the Princess to stop co-signing her soon to be husband’s nonsense.

This is probably the only royal wedding that we are not looking forward to.

It’s times like this when the marital policy of the Dutch becomes necessary. But then again like calls to like so it was inevitable.

Apparently a mutual friend introduced them, clearly knowing they were soulmates ;). It's possible that he could have asked for an introduction (he clearly does love her title) but who knows? It's not just the NRF's marriage history that's important here but ML being the sort of person to wholesale buy the dubious stuff he was selling.

He could have known about ML, too. Her angel stuff was as public as her brother's marriage. If he did, it's not 100% necessarily for sinister purposes — they are public figures. I'm just not 100% sure it's a coincidence, either, that his soulmate is from the one royal family that would allow this.

Even Albert of Monaco probably would have banned him if he'd tried with, say, Stephanie.

I was a little disappointed reading this from Sonja. Of course the American didn't understand. hmm, But where was her Norwegian born and raised Princess daughter? Surely she understands? no? it looks like she was very happy to do those instagram posts, and cringy tiktok videos with Princess splashed all over. Magazine covers and tv interviews in the Us, etc.
So maybe the Norwegian Princess didnt undertsand either or didnt care ;)
She is 51 not 18. :whistling:
Exactly. Their Norwegian daughter understands quite well but frankly she doesn't care. And why should she? Over the years she has constantly pushed the boundaries and made promises and renunciations only do the same thing over again and again. No one holds her accountable.

The King and Queen are coming off as parents who blame everyone else but themselves for their child's bad behavior (which includes choosing a controversial partner).

Someone should have told the Queen that many Americans and foreigners (from non-monarchy countries) have successfully married into reigning royal families without causing controversy or stirring the pot.

Exactly. Their Norwegian daughter understands quite well but frankly she doesn't care. And why should she? Over the years she has constantly pushed the boundaries and made promises and renunciations only do the same thing over again and again. No one holds her accountable.

The King and Queen are coming off as parents who blame everyone else but themselves for their child's bad behavior (which includes choosing a controversial partner).

Someone should have told the Queen that many Americans and foreigners (from non-monarchy countries) have successfully married into reigning royal families without causing controversy or stirring the pot.

It's not Harald and Sonja's fault that their grown adult daughter doesn't know how to make competent decisions concerning her romantic partners. She's not a child who is misbehaving or being unruly. She's over 50 with three nearly grown children. They didn't make her what she is, she made herself that way.

Haakon grew up in the same home with the same parents, and he's an exemplary man.

How many (if any) monarchs, who reign over countries where it is not the cultural norm for parents to arrange or veto the marriages of their children, have chosen to publicly condemn their adult child or family member's choice of partner, especially if it would expose them to accusations of racism?

As for accepting Durek Verrett into the Royal Family: Had this been the first marriage of a princess not directly in line to the throne, it might be feasible to declare that he would not become a member, as it would be a novel solution to an unprecedented situation. However, after declaring Erling Lorentzen, Johan Martin Ferner, and Ari Behn to be members of the Royal Family (especially Ari Behn, who was also mired in public criticism and allegations), and accepting their attendance at some public events, it would be evident discrimination to treat Durek Verrett, who is in exactly the same position, differently.

As Heavs explained, it is also much more diplomatic to blame "cultural differences" than to blame an individual, or even multiple individuals. The royal families of Denmark, Sweden, and the UK have also taken advantage of similar explanations in recent years.

On a different note: It just occurred to me that in spite of the plethora of very specific details in the recent press release concerning the couple's future status and roles, at no point was there a statement such as "As the King has granted his consent to the marriage pursuant to Article 36 of the Constitution, Princess Märtha Louise will remain entitled to succeed to the throne." While we can probably infer the King's consent and it seems no formal decree is required, it is interesting that the King has so far chosen not to issue any "clarifications" on that issue.

Last edited:
I forget how he met ML (and honestly don't care that much), but do you think it's really a coincidence he ended up with the one monarchy he is being allowed into, the one with a nice little close family and permissive history of marriage controversy? :ermm:

Which is to say, bluntly, he could have looked them up a long time ago. :sad:

You make a good point there. It would not be hard to research that.

Exactly, he loves her title. He might have asked for an introduction... But I agree it's both the NRF's marriage history and the sort of person ML is that made it possible for Durek to make her believe the stuff he says, get engaged and now soon join a Royal Family...

On a different note: It just occurred to me that in spite of the plethora of very specific details in the recent press release concerning the couple's future status and roles, at no point was there a statement such as "As the King has granted his consent to the marriage pursuant to Article 36 of the Constitution, Princess Märtha Louise will remain entitled to succeed to the throne." While we can probably infer the King's consent and it seems no formal decree is required, it is interesting that the King has so far chosen not to issue any "clarifications" on that issue.

You're quite right that they've never announced Harald has formally consented; I just thought since there also hasn't been any announcement of ML or her daughters losing succession rights, consent was implied.

But maybe they are trying to work out whether the constitution/Harald's authority does allow her daughters to remain in line or not if consent is withheld?

Maybe they won't bother announcing if he's consented or not until after they get married. Or not.

Last edited:
How many (if any) monarchs, who reign over countries where it is not the cultural norm for parents to arrange or veto the marriages of their children, have chosen to publicly condemn their adult child or family member's choice of partner, especially if it would expose them to accusations of racism?

As for accepting Durek Verrett into the Royal Family: Had this been the first marriage of a princess not directly in line to the throne, it might be feasible to declare that he would not become a member, as it would be a novel solution to an unprecedented situation. However, after declaring Erling Lorentzen, Johan Martin Ferner, and Ari Behn to be members of the Royal Family (especially Ari Behn, who was also mired in public criticism and allegations), and accepting their attendance at some public events, it would be evident discrimination to treat Durek Verrett, who is in exactly the same position, differently.

As Heavs explained, it is also much more diplomatic to blame "cultural differences" than to blame an individual, or even multiple individuals. The royal families of Denmark, Sweden, and the UK have also taken advantage of similar explanations in recent years.

If there is no royal decree or written instrument of consent, maybe the consent is at least registered in the minutes of meetings of the Council of State. Are those public in Norway?

It's not Harald and Sonja's fault that their grown adult daughter doesn't know how to make competent decisions concerning her romantic partners. She's not a child who is misbehaving or being unruly. She's over 50 with three nearly grown children. They didn't make her what she is, she made herself that way.

Haakon grew up in the same home with the same parents, and he's an exemplary man.
It's not their fault that the Princess does not know how to make smart decisions professionally and personally respecting the institution she is a part of.
However, it is there fault that things have gotten to where they are. They were/are enablers. Had they nipped things in the bud and took away her title after the 2nd or 3rd time we would not be having this discussion.

Haakon is the one who told a single mother/ex-party-drug user that she could live with him instead of going elsewhere, and Haakon is the one whose bride was weeping over her past on his wedding day — all because he liked how her edginess balanced his hopelessly-nerdy good boy qualities.

MM has been a wonderful mother and a decent Crown Princess, but most heirs to the throne in other countries would not try this at home, either.

Versus his sister, his choice of spouse is basically the only controversial thing Haakon's ever done, but for a crown prince, that's not nothing. Furthermore, it's Haakon being allowed to marry her and stay crown prince that has given ML even more enabling license to think she can do whatever she wants and push things even more — and worldwide news of the NRF's permissiveness may have attracted someone like Verrett.

Their Aunt Ragnhild painted them both with the same brush. Haakon is a pretty good, pretty dutiful guy, but I don't think he's "exemplary", or even as different from his sister as you're claiming.

Last edited:
The royal family still seems to get along very well with both Märtha Louise and Shaman Durek.
Earlier this week, Durek invited to a party to pre-celebrate his birthday, which falls on November 17.
The festivities took place at home in Lommedalen together with family and friends. The guest list included several well-known names and both Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit appeared. According to Norwegian Se og Hør, they arrived in a car with tinted windows and were smuggled into the party. It seems like the family is getting along just fine.
Dramat i norska kungafamiljen – nya händelsen på festen chockar landet _*Svensk Dam

If it was of no consequence to attend Verrett's party, Haakon and MM wouldn't need to sneak in, now would they?

Lol conveniently the King and Queen have been on holiday since Saturday, so I suppose that took care of the situation...

"Terribly sorry, Durek, but unfortunately we'll be out of the country..." :whistling: :whistling:

I really don't think it's a good idea to sneak in there, even though I can see why they did it. Clearly Haakon doesn't want to damage his relationship with his sister, but he is also very aware of public opinion and the fact that Durek is an embarrassment for the monarchy. But now that they did it like this and it came out, it looks even worse... If you want to go to Durek's birthday party for your sister's sake, do it openly!

Haakon is the one who told a single mother/ex-party-drug user that she could live with him instead of going elsewhere, and Haakon is the one whose bride was weeping over her past on his wedding day — all because he liked how her edginess balanced his hopelessly-nerdy good boy qualities.

MM has been a wonderful mother and a decent Crown Princess, but most heirs to the throne in other countries would not try this at home, either.

Versus his sister, his choice of spouse is basically the only controversial thing Haakon's ever done, but for a crown prince, that's not nothing. Furthermore, it's Haakon being allowed to marry her and stay crown prince that has given ML even more enabling license to think she can do whatever she wants and push things even more — and worldwide news of the NRF's permissiveness may have attracted someone like Verrett.

Their Aunt Ragnhild painted them both with the same brush. Haakon is a pretty good, pretty dutiful guy, but I don't think he's "exemplary", or even as different from his sister as you're claiming.

You stated it better and more succinctly than I could ever have.

It is the Heir to the throne's choice of consort that made a Durek Verrett possible in the NRF in the first place.:cool::ermm:

(Edit: But Haakon's choice was only possible because his parents decided to be rebels and his dad finally reached for the "fine, I'll destroy the monarchy" button. And Harald maybe only prevailed because of the combination of blackmail and Olav's parents didn't want him to marry Märtha, either. And...well, it's a short dynasty.)

On the one hand, I'm fairly sure this path has reached the end and Ingrid Alexandra will not be allowed to marry whomever she wants, no matter how unconventional. :cool: (And maybe not Sverre Magnus, either, just so they can be safe and fair.)

On the other hand, given how Ingrid at least seems much more self-confident and levelheaded than either her dad or her aunt, I have every confidence in her falling in love with someone from the enormous pool of "reasonable, no-controversy, not-pushing-it" potential future consorts. And being very happy with that person and her adoring country. Good luck, girl.

Last edited:
Well, on the one hand I'm fairly sure this path has reached the end and Ingrid Alexandra will not be allowed to marry whomever she wants, no matter how unconventional. :cool: (And maybe not Sverre Magnus, either, just so they can be safe and fair.)

On the other hand, given how Ingrid at least seems much more self-confident and levelheaded than either her dad or her aunt, I have every confidence in her falling in love with someone from the enormous pool of "reasonable, no-controversy, not-pushing-it" potential future consorts. And being very happy with that person and her adoring country. Good luck, girl.

I think Ingrid Alexandra and the other heirs of her generation will be more careful with the person they choose to marry.

Princess Märtha Louise congratulated Durek Verrett on his 48th birthday.
Happy Birthday, my amazing fiancée. Our life has been a true adventure since we met. Let us continue on our path together; growing, expanding, daring more. You inspire me every day to be the best version of myself. I love you with all my heart and soul. Looking forward to many more trips around the sun with you, embracing love.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClE772_yy6J/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol conveniently the King and Queen have been on holiday since Saturday, so I suppose that took care of the situation...

"Terribly sorry, Durek, but unfortunately we'll be out of the country..." :whistling: :whistling:

I really don't think it's a good idea to sneak in there, even though I can see why they did it. Clearly Haakon doesn't want to damage his relationship with his sister, but he is also very aware of public opinion and the fact that Durek is an embarrassment for the monarchy. But now that they did it like this and it came out, it looks even worse... If you want to go to Durek's birthday party for your sister's sake, do it openly!

It might be an issue of interpretation. "Entered discreetly" and "smuggled in" can be the same movements but one is more positive than the other. Of course they may well have hoped that their presence would go unrecorded, in which case that was pretty silly and it's better to go openly.

That said I don't think going to his future brother in law's birthday party can be said to be proof that they all get along great BTS, only that they get along well enough to go to milestone or family events together which is pretty much what we expected from the details that ML and Durek will be welcome at family events.

It's official! I hearby officially dislike Shaman Durek.

I spent about 30 mins reading his responses to the "historic" photo at Princess Ingrid-Alexandra's 18th birthday party.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce_1W_UBZZj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

It is clear that he is clueless and has a super abundance of delusions of grandeur.
He claims that Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is "awesome" and entertains thoughts of being Prince Regent if Princess Martha Louise needed to reign as Queen. Oy veh!

Last edited:

I spent about 30 mins reading his responses to the "historic" photo at Princess Ingrid-Alexandra's 18th birthday party.

It is clear that he is clueless and has a super abundance of delusions of grandeur.
He claims that Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is "awesome" and entertains thoughts of being Prince Regent if Princess Martha Louise needed to reign as Queem. Oy veh!

OMG, seriously? :eek: Please add me to your Support Group. His claim is not just delusional but also reveals what goes on in his mind as Martha seems to remain clueless.

Re what he wrote:

Rejoice! In the golden dawn that is rising. Tribe, what do you think about this change in history?

Mr. Darek/Durek, Princess Angela of Liechtenstein, Baroness Cécile de Massy (Monaco) and Countess Mary Von Habsburg of Austria would like a word with you...

Last edited:

He claims that Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is "awesome" and entertains thoughts of being Prince Regent if Princess Martha Louise needed to reign as Queem. Oy veh!

Some of the comments are ripping him apart. :lol:

The very first word in his post was "I", which is pretty telling. And comparing this to Bridgerton which is, to put it mildly, fictional.
Come to think of it, he is pretty fictional as well. Cartoonish even. What he says sure belongs in the world of fiction.

Four billion males on this planet, at least half of whom are adults, and ML chose him of all of them.

His 'bickering' with those critical of him is indeed (and unfortunately) again very telling of how egocentric he is.

His 'bickering' with those critical of him is indeed (and unfortunately) again very telling of how egocentric he is.

It is indeed annoying when people tell you you aren't as important as you know you are. :D

He is not used to people challenging him, we must realize. He was after all a pharao in a previous life.
In fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was Thomas Jefferson, among others, in a previous life. - You heard it here first...

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest in the land?
You, Durek, you.

Last edited:

Durek appears to be dazzled to be betrothed to a princess.
And those comments from Durek. He has no idea what he says or how a monarchy works.
And unfortunately the Royal House of Norway can do nothing.

Reading through his comments, it becomes even more clear why he has been explicitly forbidden from mentioning members of the Royal House on social media.

"OH you mean from the lies the press tells about me. To make that possible. Your King knows the truth of who Iam. It's sad people believe that nonsense. I have respect for the constitution and my future inlaws however I'm not a self proclaimed shaman I was chosen at birth and do I balance my truth and respect the constitution. Also when the press lies about everything I do and say. The family even honors the fact I'm the first black man in European Royalty . If I was so bad why did her parents ask me to move to Norway?"

"Such nonsense the Norwegian people love me. As does their king."

"No I wouldn't be king. Do you not know how it works? Clearly not let me educate you love. I would become Prince regent. Martha is of Royal blood she would be Quuen and I could never be King which would trump her. Besides I would never want to be ither. I would most likely breakup with her I'd that happen. It's not for me at all."

Interesting, so Durek has indeed learnt some things about royalty... The husband of a female monarch cannot become King because then he would outrank her - well done, Durek! Only he would not become Prince Regent but Prince Consort... I guess some more studying is needed after all ;)
Not that Durek would ever be acceptable as a Prince Consort. If you are unacceptable to the people of Norway as the spouse of a part-time working royal, you are definitely unacceptable as a Consort!!

"I would most likely breakup with her I'd that happen. It's not for me at all."

We can all hope that's true, but sadly, I don't believe that one, either.

(If it's so "not for him", he would shut up about it all [without the NRF having to shut him up] and stop glorifying his trophy obj-- I mean, princess.)

Back
Top Bottom