Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Durek Verrett about the king: - I trust what he says
Durek and Märtha Louise talk in an exclusive TV 2 interview about their relationship with the royal couple.
Durek says that he has a good relationship with his royal future father-in-law. The King is wise, has so much knowledge, is so kind and likeable, and really understands things. They talk about everything. The King listens to Durek and Durek listens to him.
Märtha Louise says that she was never nervous about telling the royal couple that she had gotten together with Verrett. She thinks her parents are very happy when she is happy. They have been very generous and open, and embraced hers and Durek's relationship, says Märtha Louise.
Durek denies that he uses royal titles to sell his products and services.
- I don't go around selling products with her (Princess Märtha Louise's) name on them. In America she is known as Princess Märtha, and that is what people want to hear.
Durek Verrett om kongen_ - Jeg stoler på hva han sier
Translation

Last edited:
Durek Verrett about the king: - I trust what he says
Durek and Märtha Louise talk in an exclusive TV 2 interview about their relationship with the royal couple.
Durek says that he has a good relationship with his royal future father-in-law. The King is wise, has so much knowledge, is so kind and likeable, and really understands things. They talk about everything. The King listens to Durek and Durek listens to him.
Märtha Louise says that she was never nervous about telling the royal couple that she had gotten together with Verrett. She thinks her parents are very happy when she is happy. They have been very generous and open, and embraced hers and Durek's relationship, says Märtha Louise.
Durek denies that he uses royal titles to sell his products and services.
- I don't go around selling products with her (Princess Märtha Louise's) name on them. In America she is known as Princess Märtha, and that is what people want to hear.
Durek Verrett om kongen_ - Jeg stoler på hva han sier
Translation

Sounds as if the relationship between the pair and the royal family is just perfect. If he would only give up his Shaman business and do something that wouldn't arouse so much criticism and doubts they and the family probably would be happier.

Is there a link to the full TV interview? I'm assuming there won't be a wedding until 2023.
Thank you.

Are they going to slash ML's title as Princess?

Well, that has the potential of being just as dramatic/entertaining as what is going on in Denmark right now!

- Well, at least this board won't be dull for the next few days. :D

Did they say pertaining to what?

To Durek's reference to ML being a royal, and ML's "accidentally" using her roal title commercially on a few occasions.

The NRF has previously been under public and political pressure to put an end to that.

I hope the NRF resolves this situation in the best possible way.

Even if the Se og Hør story eventually turns out to be false, it is still interesting that both the royal spokesperson and the princess's spokesperson opted to answer "no comment" instead of immediately denying the claims that the king has considered removing and the princess has considered renouncing her title. (I do find that second claim a bit difficult to believe after how firm the princess has been previously about keeping and even professionally using her princess title.)

It is also interesting to read that NRK's polling revealed 51% of the Norwegian public wants Princess Märtha Louise to stop representing the Royal House (while she is no longer a member, she still carries out occasional public duties), versus only 13% who want her to continue.

Did they say pertaining to what?

No, the original report specifically states that the reason for the (alleged) meetings is unknown, and that they must have occurred some time ago as Princess Märtha Louise appears to be spending this week in Canada.

Also interesting is that the Crown Prince was allegedly included in the alleged meetings.

I would not be surprised if it happens. She was using it directly to make money in a very controversial way with "The Princess and the Shaman" and after agreeing to change it to "Martha Louise and the Shaman" they switched it back again for webinars and "private consultations" among other things.

She has lost a couple of patronages like the Epilepsy Association because of her association with Durek's "medicine."

Durek also lost his case against Se og Hør for republishing the story about his health problems. The committee found that because Durek makes money selling extremely controversial/dangerous health ideas that his own health was allowed to be subject to public discussion - within reason.

It would not be surprising that with all this the King was strongly considering removing her title or asking her to relinquish it completely, making it clear the Royal House has nothing to do with at best unproven healing and at worst dangerous snake oil for seriously ill people, however much they may or may not like Durek as a person and surely wish M-L to be happy.

Would a possible renounciation of the place in the line of succession also mean that Maud, Leah and Emma would loose their places?

She has lost a couple of patronages like the Epilepsy Association because of her association with Durek's "medicine."

Durek also lost his case against Se og Hør for republishing the story about his health problems. The committee found that because Durek makes money selling extremely controversial/dangerous health ideas that his own health was allowed to be subject to public discussion - within reason.

Interesting, thank you. Does anyone have links to those announcements or reports about them? (I apologize if they were already posted and I missed them.)

NRK's article about NRK's polling
Historian and royal expert Trond Norén Isaksen says:
- The royal family exists at the mercy of the people, and the people's support is absolutely crucial for them. The entire foundation for this royal house is that King Haakon was elected by the people in his time. A royal house that does not have the support of the people has no legitimacy.
- You hear expressions like "charlatan" and "quackery" mentioned in the same sentence as the royal family, and that is a problem for the integrity of the royal house. And in the long run, they cannot live with their integrity being called into question.
When the royal couple commented on the criticism against their future son-in-law Durek Verrett for the first time last month, King Harald said that they are going to talk to him and that they are in a process.
- There is no acute threat to the royal house as such, but the investigation is a sign that you have to take this seriously, and that you have to find a good solution to these problems so that they no longer contribute to weakening the integrity of the royal house, says Norén Isaksen.
- What do you think needs to be done now to find a solution that provides sufficient peace of mind?
- The two alternatives I can see are, firstly, that she stops representing the royal family altogether. But I'm not sure if that's enough, as she already does it quite rarely.
- The other option is for her to renounce her princess title. Then she is free to do what she wants within the limits of the law, while you can no longer say that it is a problem for the royal family. Yes, she will still be the king's daughter, but then it is clear and obvious that she has no formal function in the royal house.
The Royal House does not wish to comment on what emerges in the opinion poll. Nor does Princess Märtha Louise want to comment on the matter.
Flertallet mener prinsesse Märtha Louise må slutte å representere kongehuset – NRK Norge – Oversikt over nyheter fra ulike deler av landet

My opinion is that the king should never have given his consent for Martha Louise to marry Durek. If she insisted, then she automatically would have lost her place in succession. I'm not sure about the title.

Interesting, thank you. Does anyone have links to those announcements or reports about them? (I apologize if they were already posted and I missed them.)

Sorry, I saw them a few days ago and meant to see if they were posted but never got around to it:

Epilepsy:

https://teknomers.com/en/ended-coll...ew-of-news-from-various-parts-of-the-country/
Muscular Disease:

https://ffm.no/2022/09/09/pressemelding-fra-ffm-3/

The princess has always taken her responsibilities as a protector seriously and shown genuine interest in what we work with, but more and more members are reacting to Durek Verret's speculative statements about her own form of alternative medicine and abilities as a shaman. For FFM as a representative of a number of very rare neuromuscular diseases with little or no offer of medical treatment, this seems provocative." Says association leader Patricia Melsom

The recent media coverage regarding Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett has caused a lot of discussion and unrest in the Association for Muscular Disease. As a representative of very rare diagnoses, we are dependent on medical research and development and on having a relationship of trust with the professional community.

Many of our members are now questioning being a member of an organization that has a royal patron who supports various forms of alternative medicine. Some members have already renounced their membership because of this matter.

Durek loses case:

https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/tapte-helt-i-grenseland/77291101

If she is loosing at least some of her royal patronages because of Durek and her support for his beliefs then it really is time for the King to consider what would be best for the monarchy and for ML herself.

This isn't even about him being as shaman necessarily but about his dangerous medical advice. If he offered "spirit cleansing" whilst telling people to also see their doctor, it probably wouldn't be a problem, just like ML's angels weren't a problem as patron of these charities. It's when he blames past lives for current medical conditions or says he refused treatment for COVID because an amulet protected him (and you can buy one too!) etc that's the problem.

My opinion is that the king should never have given his consent for Martha Louise to marry Durek. If she insisted, then she automatically would have lost her place in succession. I'm not sure about the title.

I agree. The King, in giving consent to the marriage of Martha Louise to Durek, is making a mistake and placing someone who is not trusted within the royal family.
I still have hope, that despite the engagement announcement, this wedding may not happen. :whistling:

Thank you very much, Heavs!

After reading the articles shared by LadyFinn, I am wondering if NRK (the national public broadcaster, for those not aware) may have been nudged by the Royal House to conduct that public opinion poll about whether Princess Märtha Louise should stop representing the royal house. If that is the option which is at the forefront of the family's minds at the moment, it would indeed be a wise move to obtain some polling data.

I can see how resigning from all of her patronages might not only serve to distance the princess from the Royal House but also save face for both her and her patronages if any others are contemplating or under pressure to drop her. But I wonder what exactly "stop representing the royal house" would involve. Would Princess Märtha Louise (and by extension Durek Verrett) also no longer be invited even to engagements involving the whole family?

I agree. The King, in giving consent to the marriage of Martha Louise to Durek, is making a mistake and placing someone who is not trusted within the royal family.
I still have hope, that despite the engagement announcement, this wedding may not happen. :whistling:

Did he officially consent to their marriage, making it a dynastical marriage? Is the government in any way involved in such approval in Norway?

Removind ML completely upon marriage while leaving her daughter's in the line (as they do not descend from said marriage) might be the best way forward.

Even if the Se og Hør story eventually turns out to be false, it is still interesting that both the royal spokesperson and the princess's spokesperson opted to answer "no comment" instead of immediately denying the claims that the king has considered removing and the princess has considered renouncing her title. (I do find that second claim a bit difficult to believe after how firm the princess has been previously about keeping and even professionally using her princess title.)

It is also interesting to read that NRK's polling revealed 51% of the Norwegian public wants Princess Märtha Louise to stop representing the Royal House (while she is no longer a member, she still carries out occasional public duties), versus only 13% who want her to continue.

No, the original report specifically states that the reason for the (alleged) meetings is unknown, and that they must have occurred some time ago as Princess Märtha Louise appears to be spending this week in Canada.

Also interesting is that the Crown Prince was allegedly included in the alleged meetings.

If the King had simply denied consent to Märtha Louise's marriage to Durek, would her daughters have been excluded from the succession too? I understand that the literal text of the constitution says "and their descendants" rather than "the descendants of the marriage" (as in the UK Succession to the Crown Act or the Danish Act of Succession for example), but I find it unreasonable to read the literal text as affecting descendants of a previous marriage that was consented to. What do the Norwegian sources say about that?

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Heavs!

After reading the articles shared by LadyFinn, I am wondering if NRK (the national public broadcaster, for those not aware) may have been nudged by the Royal House to conduct that public opinion poll about whether Princess Märtha Louise should stop representing the royal house. If that is the option which is at the forefront of the family's minds at the moment, it would indeed be a wise move to obtain some polling data.

I can see how resigning from all of her patronages might not only serve to distance the princess from the Royal House but also save face for both her and her patronages if any others are contemplating or under pressure to drop her. But I wonder what exactly "stop representing the royal house" would involve. Would Princess Märtha Louise (and by extension Durek Verrett) also no longer be invited even to engagements involving the whole family?

Perhaps a Mike and Zara route? With a hint of (forgive me but they are an example of giving up being any type of working royal and patronages) the Sussexes? They show up at certain family events that are also public events like the Jubilee/funerals/Ascot etc and are full members of the family away from the public events but are not at anything that could be seen as representing the King or Norway. Difficult needle to thread, especially with these personalities and more difficult as a daughter and not a granddaughter/niece. But no one would think Mike represented HM if he said something stupid on his podcasts or promotes CBD Oil, even if the former might cause a day or two of bad headlines.

The thing is ML is 50 years old, if the King refused his permission then they'd get married anyway, this time to worldwide sympathetic headlines. Ari Behn was controversial, MM was controversial and both were given permission, there's no way that this wouldn't be turned into a racial story, even if the Court listed specific statements from Durek's own mouth as the reason why.

Plus, whilst I don't trust Durek that he and Harald are great friends who have amazing, long conversations (apart from anything else the King's own statements are much more of a diplomatic nature), they may get on with him well enough and undoubtedly want ML to be happy. Refusing permission might also limit the ways they can be there for her and their granddaughters.

If the alleged meeting did take place then they're trying to find a workable solution for everyone. Perhaps: "I agree to the marriage but please renounce your title and patronages as it would be best for us and you, you remain a full member of this family and we love all of you."

Last edited:
The point about the medical associations with which ML was involved is a very valid one. How can they keep working with the Princess when she is now openly advocating "alternative medicine" treatments and voicing opinions that are outside the scientific consensus or are normally associated with science denialists?

Last edited by a moderator:
While the couple tried to dismiss all the criticism they received as "racism", their actions proved it isn't.

I think Harald's and Sonja's comments have made it clearly, "we may accept you into our family but doesn't necessarily mean we accept your BS", the couple has crossed the line. Making money with your title maybe not the biggest problem, but making money with unpopular, unscientific belief, or even scamming is a serious issue. ML's patronage cut tie with her is a good proof.

Call me harsh but I think ML is the one who deserves being revoked her title. She has been reminded and warned but still tested the limit again and again. IMO Harald shall only give their marriage a simple "good luck" or "blessing" as a father rather than a permission as a monarch.

If/when the wedding takes place, he will be the son-in-law of the King of Norway; I'm sure this may open some doors for him. Either way, if titles are taken away, it will not change his status as son-in-law! Whether the marriage is happy only time will tell? As has been said, if the King had refused consent, press articles would be a lot worse. It will be interesting to see if other Royal Houses follow-suit re the Denmark situation?

Last edited:
Oh dear .... Here we have another entitled couple. It's never their fault, they've been misunderstood, people are just jealous of their love/popularity. And the royal household need to tip-toe due to the R-card. Seems like the royal trend right now.

Now we only need Charles and Harry Sussex to join the fray and this forum might finally explode :lol:

My sympathy for the moderator team.

Last edited:
Oh dear .... Here we have another untitled couple. It's never their fault, they've been misunderstood, people are just jealous of their love/popularity. And the royal household need to tip-toe due to the R-card. Seems like the royal trend right now.

Now we only need Charles and Harry Sussex to join the fray and this forum might finally explode :lol:

My sympathy for the moderator team.

Not "another untitled couple". The neighbours over there in Denmark remain titled anyway.

:previous: possibly when yukari wrote 'untitled' they meant 'entitled'..

Back
Top Bottom