Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This interview in a Norwegian paper is very illuminating: https://www.vg.no/rampelys/tv/i/bnr...ersonlig-intervju-planlegger-flytting-til-usa

Unfortunately I have another summary to write tonight, so if anyone else would like to write a summary, please do. ?

Lady Daly summarized a few of the interview's key points in the Princess Märtha Louise & Family thread, where the interview was first shared by eya. :flowers:

Princess Martha Louise in a interview confirms she plans to move to USA

https://xjigavcwfy5z7g4pn6cwygwdue-...ersonlig-intervju-planlegger-flytting-til-usa

This interview clears up quite a bit. The tv program was already entered into before the pandemic and before Ari's death. It sounds like they have now been filming Martha and her children including Durek during his recent visit. The series is ready to be aired, no one in the royal family has seen it yet. Durek has been back in Los Angeles since right after Christmas. Martha tells us it is in the cards for her to move to the US but she will always keep a home in Norway.

I don't have access to the videos. Does she talks bout her family? What norwegian people say about the programm?

Hmm, that's an interesting claim: according to Märtha Louise she received 'a payment for a few years' (she doesn't disclose how much) and after that 160.000 Norwegian Crowns (16.000 EUR) a year. Not sure what this was meant to cover; was this for the 'work' she did? Representation costs? An allowance for her wardrobe? And was the king expected to supplement her income but didn't have the money to or didn't want to?

Last edited:
16.000 Euros a year in Norway - one of the most expensive countries in the world- does not get you very far. It seems indeed an 'extra' to cover representational costs such as a wardrobe of mid-priced brands.

Last edited:
16.000 Euros a year in Norway - one of the most expensive countries in the world- does not get you very far. It seems indeed an 'extra' to cover representational costs such as a wardrobe of mid-priced brands.

It sure doesn't!
It must be in the order of some 145.000 NKK.
For that you can buy a good pair of shoes and a knitted cap.
Okay, not entirely correct. ?
But to put it into a genuine perspective. 145.000 NKK will buy you pretty 100 modest lunches for two.

Well, a little kitsch for my taste, but fun to have in the guestroom...

ML looks very different in the face to me, I wonder if its been photoshopped or the photo altered for artistic licence.

ML looks very different in the face to me, I wonder if its been photoshopped or the photo altered for artistic licence.

She does look a bit retouched like her head was stuck on a different picture and not exactly "real" albeit it is a fantasy picture.

Those sort of pictures are pretty popular and it's the least strange thing they've ever done together, so go for it.

I 'm quite certain Varek has been photoshopped. Last picure I saw of him, he didn't have such bellymuscles.

Oh, my! Who is paying for this luxury villa? I presume they haven’t bought it. Somehow I think they might be living beyond their means.

Oh, my! Who is paying for this luxury villa? I presume they haven’t bought it. Somehow I think they might be living beyond their means.

In the US, the only way that you can live in the manner that you've become accustomed to is if you can actually afford it. Titles and ranks and status aren't bankable commodities. Cold, hard cash is.

Maybe they got the villa for a song and a dance because it's haunted and they're going to clear the spirit from the place and assist him to where he belongs?

Sorry... hadda do it. Not enough coffee yet today. :D

We know ML is broke. Durek's wealth seems to change depending on the article. He previously said he doesn't own a home but lives luxury Airbnb to Airbnb. It's possible he does have enough to buy somewhere but I also wouldn't be surprised if they were living beyond their means.

Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall.

I suggest you keep an eye on Svensk Damtidning. They usually carry articles about ML and Durek after they have been published in Norway.

Thanks Muhler for the heads up regarding Svensk Damtidning.

Interesting that the 2 pictures we can
see from seher.no are actually from an article/photo shoot published by Vanity Fair November 2020 listed as a private home in Hollywood. These 2 media hounds sure keep the fairytail going, that's for sure!

We know ML is broke. Durek's wealth seems to change depending on the article. He previously said he doesn't own a home but lives luxury Airbnb to Airbnb. It's possible he does have enough to buy somewhere but I also wouldn't be surprised if they were living beyond their means.

Is she broke? I thought she had some kind of business and that she had some money from her family. How come she's broke? WHy is Durek with her, if she has no money? Is it love?

Is she broke? I thought she had some kind of business and that she had some money from her family. How come she's broke? WHy is Durek with her, if she has no money? Is it love?
Princess Märtha-Louise is not broke, but as the last few year's' tax returns have shown her fortune and earnings have decreased significantly. Märtha Louise has gone from earning NOK 1,87m in 2017 to NOK 733k in 2019. More worryingly her fortune has fallen from NOK 4,9m in 2017 to NOK 0 in 2019. The number 0 indicates that her debts outweighs the value of her properties.
Her business ventures like her angel academy Soulspring gave her a significant, but short term, income but it seems like she's burnt through that money quickly and she was forced to sell her summer house on Hangø after significantly reducing the asking price several times.
Though it has to be said that this is nothing new since Märtha-Louise' finances has been in upheaval for a long time. Already in 2010 she made headlines because her fortune had gone from NOK 8,273m in 2007 to NOK 0 in 2009.
Smart taxplanning, hiding away money from the authorities or her going broke?

Last edited:
Terribly written article but we get the gist of it! :)
It seems so strange that the wealth of the NRF is so unevenly distributed. I hope lessons are learned for Sverre Magnus down the road

Yes, I’d say the article was translated into English from a Norwegian news outlet (magazine?) though it doesn’t give any source. And it’s badly translated at that. Still, it does convey a general idea about M-L’s finances.

Princess Martha-Louise speaks about her life and finances.

https://news.in-24.com/lifestyle/celebrities/13376.html

This news has now found it's way into Bunte online - Headline:"How should I survive with this?" [1]

Yep, if one considers - if the numbers are correct - that Märtha-Louise would have gotten not much more than roughly 1 400 US Dollar per month, then this is an understandable question for a working royal, which she was supposed to be with this apanage, right?

Now we can, but don't have to, speculate: Would she have married a boring noble man and lived happy afterwards, if she would have been about to receive a little bit more money from the taxpayers?

I always thought, that she was more of a moderator and a kind of human spotlight for strange elfs-talkers and those, who are in contact with the gone... - what was strange in itself; but if it pays the bills?

Not that I am seeing her completely different now... but!

[1] https://www.bunte.de/royals/royals-...-apanage-wie-sollte-ich-damit-ueberleben.html

A wild thought: Perhaps she could have had a job beside her apanage?

With her connections she would probably have been able to secure herself a nice little and not too demanding job somewhere.

Another crazy thought: Perhaps she could arrange to ensure her expenses not exceeding her income? - I think I'll call this novel thought a budget.

With her fortune in real estate and what not, she would be able to live a comfortable higher middle-class life.

I'm not saying ML is prudent with money. Perhaps she always spends more than she has, but in a country that manages the oil fund as carefully as they do it seems a little strange that the NRF doesn’t have someone to make investments that guarantee her a source of income. In other words, she's not much of a trust fund kid.

I'm willing to bet twenty boxes of chocolate that she has had guidance in investing her fortune in order to secure a decent and stable income - or at least secure her fortune.
But if you exceed your income - and it's pretty evident that she has - you have to get money from somewhere. I.e. first a loan. Then sell your stocks and investments to pay back your loan. = Less income. - Then you have to mortgage and eventually sell your property. = Much reduced fortune.

I don't know the word in English. In Danish and I think in Norwegian as well, ML has put herself in a "gældsfælde" = literally a debt-trap. - And it difficult to get out! Usually requiring a total reform of your lifestyle and professional guidance.
ML is not there yet, where she is forced to seek help.
I imagine she still has a few assets left, but if she continues her current lifestyle, she will within a few years run out of options and means.

ML has been interviewed by a Norwegian newspaper, about her plans and she has been talking in a podcast about her initial feelings for Durek.
It's behind a paywall though: https://www.vg.no/rampelys/tv/i/bnr...ersonlig-intervju-planlegger-flytting-til-usa

But fortunately Svensk Damtidning is also on the theme: https://www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/m...eken-till-durek-verrett-inte-aktuellt/7693970

She does plan to move to USA and Durek, but Corona has put a spanner in the wheel, so when that happens is not yet clear.

It wasn't sparks and stars when they met the first time, confides ML in a podcast, Summa summarum.
It was a nice meeting though.

The second time they met was in New York. ML intended to drop by and say as she was in town. It just so happened that he lived in a hotel right next door.
But it wasn't love at first sight. They actually talked about it, but there were no indications of their relationship amounting to more than a friendship.

But love found a way and now they intend to move in together.

The Norwegian gossip mag, Se & Hør, reports that Durek has bought a luxury villa, where he, ML and her children will move in together.

The article is behind a paywall, so I only know what is summarized in a few sentences here: https://www.bt.dk/royale/skal-nyde-hinanden-i-stor-luksus-smutter-fra-norge

The villa has a swimming pool, spa and roof terrace and is located in Los Angeles.

Reactions: eya
Back
Top Bottom