Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn are separating: August 5, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Märtha Louise of Norway and Husband Ari Behn to divorce – Royal Central

Princess Märtha Louise stated, “Life does not always go smoothly. Both Ari and I have experienced this. Most clearly, life has made some antics that we had never envisaged. These days we were mainly apart. We are ending the marriage but we are remaining together in parenthood.

It is unspeakably sad for both of us to discover that the road ahead does not go together in the way that it used to. We have, as so many grown apart – to places we no longer meet as we did before. It is terrible to experience that there is nothing more we can do. We have tried everything for a long time and we still can not be where we were before, making it impossible for us to continue.

We feel guilty because we are no longer able to create the safe harbour that our children deserve. But we hope and believe that we will manage to hold on to friendship through what lies ahead.

We pray and hope that we get peace in this sensitive process. Children need time to digest, grieve and find new footing – each one separately.We are just people, too. ”

It's surprising to me. I don't follow them closely, but by all accounts they always seemed to me a happy couple. But we can never know, don't we?

Anyway, if they think it's the best way for them, I wish them both and their kids all the best.

This makes me sad. I always pull for the quirky couples. I love it when other than Prince and Princess charming make it work.
It was a nicely worded request for family privacy, IMO. I wish them the best.

They are both a bit odd, for that reason i thought they would pull through. Sad it was not enough in the end.

I'm surprised by this! The pictures of them at the recent jubilee celebrations gave an impression of a happy couple. I hope they get the peace and privacy they've requested at this time and find a calm solution for the sake of their three daughters.

I wish the couple and their family the best. Their human and this happens to families from time to time, sadly.

Official announcement of the Royal House

kongehuset.no - Går fra hverandre

Princess Märtha Louise and her husband Ari Behn are separating after 13 years of marriage.

That's quite a surprise to me, but I must admit I don't follow the Norwegian royal family, so I wouldn't know if there were any signs that their marriage was in trouble.

Last edited:
Oh that is sad news. Very suprising.

It's a surprise for me, too. I thought that Martha and Ari had a happy marriage and were well resolved.

That is sad news. Very happy to read that they will still be there together for the children.

No one really knows what happens behind closed doors.

No one really knows what happens behind closed doors.

Exactly. And public figures like royalty are often well-trained into presenting a happy facade to the general audience while all is not so great in their private lives.

I hope they have an calm separation especially for their daughters who are still quite young.

Take care about royal smiles....
All seems perfect to them , handsome wealthy, nice condition, easy life etc....
I am sometimes jealous but in fact they have the same problems as everyone.

It's surprising news but I always thought this marriage wouldn't work, though it's lasted longer then expected. I like how clear and straight forward the statement was on the divorce. It was also nice for the King and Queen to add something.

I hope that Maud, Leah and Emma won't suffer from the seperation. And I hope that Märtha Louise and Ari won't have a "war of roses". They have responsibility for three young daughters.

surprising news indeed. martha louise and ari seemed like a strong couple. i was always skeptical about them (they both seem very 'free souls'), specially at the start, but they looked to me now like an item for life.

martha louise's press release is very intimate and heart felt. i am surprised to see this, as usually royal divorces are short and concise and we usually don't get to hear any thoughts about the royal in question.

interesting quote by ari in the article above: 'Ari Behn said earlier that he and Martha Louise has an open relationship based on trust.
- There is an openness and respect in our relationship. We are allowed to flirt with others, in that respect, we are very free, he told newspaper VG.'

Sexskandalen som chockar norska hovet | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

indeed, some pictures of him and a blogger with some intimate photos such as this one could only confirm their 'open relationship'.

was their last official outing together during the celebrations for King Carl Gustaf of Sweden's 70th Birthday, on April 30 2016?

Last edited:
Sad news. Wishing both of them and their daughters the best in their new lives.

Sad and shocking news. I wish them and their daughters all the best and I hope that they will remain friends like Joachim and Alexandra.

Well, there have been posters claiming that royals marrying commoners would result in better and endurable marriages since it are choices of the heart and nothing because of tradition or rules. Well, in the meantime we can throw such claims on more endurable marriages to the dustbin. From the first pictures on I knew the coupling of Princess Märtha Louise to Mr Behn would not last and my gut feel has proven me right. I have a similar gut feel about three royal couples. Time will learn.

Ah yes, we hadn't heard your "marriages to commoners" topic for a while, thanks for working it into another thread 《sarcasm intended》
:lol:

Very surprised by this news as these two always seemed so happy and together (both a bit 'free living' in their own way) but as others say who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I hope they handle this well (As their statement seems to show they will).

I know nothing about the couple. The fact that those who do here are all shocked and surprised - in the main - suggests any marriage issues have been handled very much privately and behind closed doors (and hopefully away from their children) so well done there!

It's never good news when a separation or divorce is announced - but this one appears to have been handled with thought and respect to all.

I am not surprised at all, I am surprised that I t lasted as long as it did. I do remember a lot of publicity about his books, and somehow disclosure about their finances which revealed his low income. He also,had a lot of very forth right opinions which he aired. All this made me think it wouldn't last but fourteen years is a long time.

Ah yes, we hadn't heard your "marriages to commoners" topic for a while, thanks for working it into another thread 《sarcasm intended》
:lol:

It is not "working into another thread" or are you suggesting Princess Märtha Louise is no royal and her soon ex-husnand is no commoner? Just a factual conclusion. No sarcasm intended.

Back
Top Bottom