Engagement of Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett: June 7, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Durek went to the Church in Norway with the Royal Family and the same day ....

I think if she would leave the line of succession it would be her but not her daughters as the from a marriage which had the King's consent.

As Prinsara said, Article 36 (reference the first page of this thread for the English translation) of the Constitution refers to the person's descendants also forfeiting their right to the throne. (In the original Norwegian, the wording is "he or she", denoting the person, not the couple.)

"Handler han eller hun i strid med dette, taper vedkommende så vel som etterkommerne retten til Norges trone."

However, I suppose if the occasion ever arose, the government might create a justification out of the supposed intent of the legislature being to remove only the children of the unapproved marriage.

I think many of us have deep concerns about this, including me, but I also have half a notion engagement threads are meant to be positive or at least neutral. We do have a whole thread where we've aired the rest of it for the past few years.

From reading past engagement threads, I haven't received that impression.
For some royal couples (Mako and Kei Komuro are another example), the public's concerns or negativity about the relationship constitute part of the story of their relationship and marriage. In this case, the Norwegian public's perspective on Durek created the couple's plans to relocate their married life overseas, and may be the reason why the engagement was announced in an unconventional manner with minimal involvement from the palace.

Andthe same day what happened?

Ari Behn died (Christmas day 2019).

And as far as Instagram goes, Maud Angelica put up a story saying "OMG CONGRATS" (literally) to her mother and Durek. Which suggests she's either a bit surprised, or not concerned by anything, or both.

Interesting. It does sound very positive, and as he is/will be her stepfather I hope it is.

Well Martha herself doesn't carry out any royal duties and doesn't have an HRH anymore, so there was never any chance of that.

She retains a handful of patronages and carries out occasional royal duties. In 2021 she carried out two solo engagements and was present at four official receptions, according to the official program.

Last edited:
As Prinsara said, Article 36 (reference the first page of this thread for the English translation) of the Constitution refers to the person's descendants also forfeiting their right to the throne. (In the original Norwegian, the wording is "he or she", denoting the person, not the couple.)

"Handler han eller hun i strid med dette, taper vedkommende så vel som etterkommerne retten til Norges trone."

"Descendants" here may be interpreted as any descendant in general or simply the descendants from the unconsented marriage. The Succession to the Crown Act 2013 in the Uk sought to remove that ambiguity by explicitly saying "the person's descendants from the marriage".

Arnhild Aass Kristiansen of NTB news agency inquired about a possible title for Durek Verrett. The response from the director of palace communications, Guri Varpe:

"It is His Majesty the King who according to tradition determines if someone receives a title. The princess's former spouse, the late Ari Behn, had no title, nor do their children."​

The meaning seems clear, but I wonder why she did not phrase it more directly.

The spokeswoman also pointed NTB to Article 34 of the Constitution, which states:

Article 34
The King shall make provisions concerning titles for those who are entitled to succeed to the Crown.​

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/lVox89/prinsesse-martha-louise-og-durek-verrett-har-forlovet-seg

The palace specifically bringing up Article 34 in reference to Durek Verrett seemingly points to Princess Märtha Louise remaining "entitled to succeed to the Crown" after marrying him, which requires the King granting his consent to the marriage in accordance with Article 36.

The article states that the couple are presently in Los Angeles and will continue to divide their time between continents for the time being, and it quotes from their press release (is there a full transcript?):

– Kjærlighet dømmer ikke hvor man kommer fra eller hvem man er som mennesker. Kjærlighet skaper bro mellom mennesker, kulturer og religioner. Og vi er glade for å ha funnet hverandre, på tvers av kontinenter, etnisitet og sosial bakgrunn.

– Ha tålmodighet med oss. Vi kommer til å meddele alt når tiden er inne, men til da vil vi fortsette å feire kjærligheten. Maud, Leah og Emma gleder seg på våre vegne, og det er en spennende tid for hele familien. Vi ber likevel om forståelse for at barna i denne perioden fremover får nyte sommeren i fred og ro.

"Love judges not where you come from or who you are as people. Love forms bridges between persons, cultures, and religions. And we are delighted to have found one another, crossing continents, ethnicity, and social background."

Regarding a wedding date:
"Be patient with us. We will tell everything when the time is ripe, but until then, we will keep on celebrating love. Maud, Leah and Emma are happy for us, and this is an exciting time for the entire family. But we request your understanding in the time ahead to allow the children to spend a pleasant summer in peace and quiet."

Last edited:
I imagine after their Wedding a State Visit in Norway with the Shaman wearing the Norway National Orders !

I imagine after their Wedding a State Visit in Norway with the Shaman wearing the Norway National Orders !

Ari Behn never received a Norwegian order (the only one he got was a Dutch order), so little to no chance Durek will receive any Norwegian order and I don't expect him to attend state visits either - again, Ari only did so for the Dutch state visit as the families are close friends.

It's no surprise that one of the few official recent activities for Märtha Louise was another Dutch state visit...

I'm happy for the couple but he seems very sketchy.

Does he have a problem with his kidney?
Besides: I think they will marry civilly in California by surprise only the couple and the daughters.
Was he ever married? Does he have children?

:previous:

He does have a kidney problem, yes, and he was married before (2005-2009), you can find lots of information at this thread :flowers:

I think she will want to be married in Norway, surrounded by her family and friends. Wonder if the couple will attend the Gala on the 17th June, 2022.

As regards the ring, the emerald and diamonds seem very high quality; but I'm no expert.

Does he have a problem with his kidney?
Besides: I think they will marry civilly in California by surprise only the couple and the daughters.

And what about the witnesses?

:previous:

He does have a kidney problem, yes, and he was married before (2005-2009), you can find lots of information at this thread :flowers:
Thank you, Iceflower.
Very strange that marriage to a woman who seemed to just wanted a greencard. And he even changed his first name, that was new to me as well.

They met too late to have their own family; which I suppose they have to accept. I have a feeling they will go the distance, and be happy together.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what the wedding will be like. Will it take place on this planet?

Last edited:
https://people.com/royals/princess-martha-louise-of-norway-and-shaman-durek-historic-engagement/

Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett on their engagement. Some photos from the engagement shoot are included.
Is it me, or is that dress she's wearing just way too much?

I didn't exactly feel thrilled when I read about their engagement, although it wasn't unexpected. I can only hope she won't go under/emotionally broke eventually.

I haven't been thrilled with them as a couple since they did the potentially harmful "Shaman and the Princess" tour. And by harmful I mean harmful to their audiences and the public not the NRF. They have both knowingly sold snake oil at this point and continue to do so.

This isn't because he's a shaman, but because I think he's at best the Hollywood version of it and a con man at worst.

That said I do wish them both luck and mental and physical health and happiness, since the last few years cannot have been easy in any way. Sometimes they have just been funny like when an actual princess had a "Bridgerton party" in an LA apartment - so many layers to unpack.

ML probably refers to him as Shaman Durek because that's his professional name whereas the NRF is using his legal/personal name.

I also wish her daughters all the very best.

Durek and Martha Louise gave an interview on Instagram.

Some of the highlights:
Princess Märtha Louise & Durek have said they have no wedding date yet. And it takes time to plan a “Royal Wedding.” Durek added it was hard enough to plan the proposal.
Princess Märtha Louise will be at her niece Princess Ingrid Alexandra’s birthday gala next week. But Durek is unable to attend as he will be out of the country for work.
Princess Märtha Louise & Durek refers to him as a “Bonus Dad” to her 3 children. Durek said it was “ride or die” with the kids. And that Märtha’s daughter Emma took to him right away. Durek said he was good friend with Märtha’s late ex husband Ari Behn, who committed suicide Christmas Day 2019. Durek said he wished Ari was here. But didn’t want to say more or else he would cry.

Martha Louise calling Durek Shaman reminds of the time on Seinfeld when Elaine dated a conductor and he made her call him Maestro.

If she were my friend, I'd tell her this is a bad idea. But oh well, she's old enough to make her own decision (and hopefully has thought this thoroughly).

They strike me as a barefoot on the beach reciting personal wedding vows to coincide with lunar phases type of couple.:cool:

I'd be VERY surprised if they opted for a church wedding.

Or barefoot in a glade in the woods, surrounds by fairy lights who come to give them their blessing ...

The former Princess Tessy found love again, the second time around, and Princess Martha Louise has too. I am pleased for them.

Norwegian royal historian Dag Trygsland Hoelseth wrote (in English) a very nice roundup of the news about the engagement and information about the couple, including Durek Verrett's family background. (It seems some Norwegian genealogists disagree with his belief that he has Norwegian ancestry on his maternal side.)

https://dagtho.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-princess-martha-louise-engaged.html

Apparently, the engagement being formally announced by the couple instead of the King was not the only unconventional characteristic of the proceedings. Mr. Hoelseth writes:

The Storting not informed

The President of the Norwegian Storting, Masud Gharahkhani has said today that he has not been informed by the Royal Palace about the engagement before the news was known. «– Given her formal status this is not something we would expect», he has been quoted as saying, besides wishing the princess and her fiancé all the best and congratulating them on the engagement. Traditionally the Storting is formally notified by letter, which will then be entered in the record of its proceedings, but the king is not required to send such a letter. I am not sure what the Storting president means when mentioning the formal status of Princess Märtha Louise. Could it be that because she ceased to be a member of the royal house in 2002 when she gave up her style of royal highness, a formal notification to the Storting has not ben deemed necessary?

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre also congratulated the couple: "I congratulate Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett on their engagement and wish them the best."

https://www.nrk.no/norge/prinsesse-martha-og-durek-verrett-er-forlovet-1.15993023

The announcement and the engagement portrait were sent by the couple themselves to NTB news agency. VG has more quotes:

https://www.vg.no/rampelys/i/Xqmkxb/prinsesse-martha-louise-og-durek-verrett-er-forlovet

«Det er med stor glede vi meddeler at vi, prinsesse Märtha Louise og Durek Verrett, også kjent som sjaman Durek, har forlovet oss»

«Kjærligheten får oss til å utvide horisonten, får oss til å åpne opp øynene og se forbi det vi trodde var mulig. Kjærligheten gjør oss ikke blind, men får oss til å se muligheter, gir oss tro på oss selv og hverandre fra helt nye ståsteder.»

"It is with great joy that we announce that we, Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett, also known as Shaman Durek, have gotten engaged.

"Love broadens our horizons, opens our eyes to see beyond what we thought was possible. Love does not blind us, but shows us possibilities and gives us faith in ourselves and one another from a whole new viewpoint. We're thankful to have found each other and found new partners in each other."

On Instagram the princess thanked all the family and friends who had always supported them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cef6dOGrc9h

The princess's spokeswoman Carina Scheele Karlsen declined to give information to the Norwegian press information on how the engagement happened (which makes it even more interesting that the couple freely shared those details with an American magazine).

She also did not answer who would be the couple's best (wo)men at the wedding. At Princess Märtha Louise's first wedding it was her childhood friend Marianne Ulrichsen.

I have a perverted sense of humor, I know, but I can't wait for the torrent of flowery declarations of love we shall hear from this infatuated couple in future interviews and twitter-updates.

The entertainment level here on TRF has gone up a level or two. :D

Norwegian royal historian Dag Trygsland Hoelseth wrote (in English) a very nice roundup of the news about the engagement and information about the couple, including Durek Verrett's family background. (It seems some Norwegian genealogists disagree with his belief that he has Norwegian ancestry on his maternal side.)

https://dagtho.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-princess-martha-louise-engaged.html

Apparently, the engagement being formally announced by the couple instead of the King was not the only unconventional characteristic of the proceedings. Mr. Hoelseth writes:

The Storting not informed

The President of the Norwegian Storting, Masud Gharahkhani has said today that he has not been informed by the Royal Palace about the engagement before the news was known. «– Given her formal status this is not something we would expect», he has been quoted as saying, besides wishing the princess and her fiancé all the best and congratulating them on the engagement. Traditionally the Storting is formally notified by letter, which will then be entered in the record of its proceedings, but the king is not required to send such a letter. I am not sure what the Storting president means when mentioning the formal status of Princess Märtha Louise. Could it be that because she ceased to be a member of the royal house in 2002 when she gave up her style of royal highness, a formal notification to the Storting has not ben deemed necessary?

Could the phrase by the President of the Storting also be interpreted as a surprise; meaning they would have expected to be formally informed, so given her formal status as a princess in line to the Norwegian throne, this lack of officially informing us is not something we would expect?!

Given the expensive-looking engagement ring: what is Mr Durrek's source of income?

Back
Top Bottom