Engagement of Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett: June 7, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Durek and Martha Louise gave an interview on Instagram.

Some of the highlights:
Princess Märtha Louise & Durek have said they have no wedding date yet. And it takes time to plan a “Royal Wedding.” Durek added it was hard enough to plan the proposal.
Princess Märtha Louise will be at her niece Princess Ingrid Alexandra’s birthday gala next week. But Durek is unable to attend as he will be out of the country for work.
Princess Märtha Louise & Durek refers to him as a “Bonus Dad” to her 3 children. Durek said it was “ride or die” with the kids. And that Märtha’s daughter Emma took to him right away. Durek said he was good friend with Märtha’s late ex husband Ari Behn, who committed suicide Christmas Day 2019. Durek said he wished Ari was here. But didn’t want to say more or else he would cry.

I wish he would stop talking about Ari!
Durek is taking the trend to marry an unsuitable spouse to a whole new level, thank god there is no title for him.

so why is he marrying her? I would haave thought that he'd go for a richer lady.

https://people.com/royals/princess-martha-louise-of-norway-and-shaman-durek-historic-engagement/

Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett on their engagement. Some photos from the engagement shoot are included.

Thank you for posting the couple's interview.

It is interesting - but not surprising in view of their past statements about the Norwegian press corps - that the couple refused to give details about the proposal to Norwegian media, but discussed it at length with People magazine.

Also interesting are the differing focal points of Norwegian royal coverage (where any mentions of Durek Verrett's background tended to highlight his controversial claims regarding illnesses and healing powers) versus the People magazine interview, which simply says that Durek is a "spiritual guide and healer to the stars" and emphasizes the historicity of a Black man marrying into a European royal family:

Of becoming the first modern Black man to marry into a European royal family, Durek says: "[It] will set a precedent for my people that we are not to be forgotten, and we deserve to be acknowledged for the greatness of who we are and where we come from. There's always been kings and queens in Africa, but unfortunately, they haven't been recognized in the world in the way that they deserve."

[...]

For her part, Märtha — who is fourth in line to the Norwegian throne — says her relationship with Durek has also been "eye-opening" when it comes to their experiences with racism as an interracial couple.

"To me, it's eye-opening to get to know Durek and see it first hand and see how it still plays out in society," she says. "I've learned a lot about Black heritage and will continue to learn. I have a patient man who educates me on the issues in Black culture, how it refers to white privilege, and how we as a couple must navigate peoples' fears and prejudices to demonstrate that love has no boundaries. I'm blessed to be in a relationship that can help me grow and evolve, and it's humbling to learn the lessons with Durek every day."

[...]

Adds Durek: "I stand for my people and with my people to hold the lens of possibility that love can break down the barriers and limitations. The journey ahead for me — well, who's to say? What I can say is that I've fallen in love with the most amazing woman who loves me for all aspects of my being, and I love her for all aspects of her being. Whatever is thrown in our direction and may come to confront us, together we will face it with power and strength and triumph against all odds. And lastly, for my people and all people of color to realize that there is no hierarchy regarding the power and strength of the human spirit."

I'm glad to see that Mr. Verrett seems to have become more relaxed about spending time in Norway, which will hopefully allow his stepdaughters to continue living in their home country, if they wish.

Last year, Princess Märtha Louise said she was planning on moving from her home country of Norway to America with her three daughters. Of her move, she tells PEOPLE: "At this point, we are going to continue to do long distances for a little while. There are no solid plans to move together at this point, but it will come in the future. We will always live in both places in California and Norway."

Durek adds, "I'm excited about us living in the States and Norway and going back and forth with the family. I'm looking forward to spending more quality time with her family."

so why is he marrying her? I would haave thought that he'd go for a richer lady.

IMO in order to use MM's name, title and status to make himself more credible and part even more, and potentially richer people from their money.
And to access even more potential ... shall we call them clients.

- And of course because they are so much in love... :twohearts:

I do in fact think they genuinely enjoy each other's company, however I also believe this marriage is more one of convenience - benefiting both of them.

IMO in order to use MM's name, title and status to make himself more credible and part even more, and potentially richer people from their money.
And to access even more potential ... shall we call them clients.

- And of course because they are so much in love... :twohearts:

I do in fact think they genuinely enjoy each other's company, however I also believe this marriage is more one of convenience - benefiting both of them.

Also because rich people are relatively numerous. Genuine royalty (of places people have even heard of!) are not.

They do genuinely seem to be fond of each other; there's just more than an unsettling hint of "mad love" involved.

The one reassuring thing is that ML's sensible girls seem quite fine with it. I hope they are not disillusioned.

I think he prefers fame and royalty over money - which he is already earning by his rich clientele (and his status will only increase by marrying into a royal family - attracting even more high profile clients). Even though they have been told not to use Märtha Louise's title as princess for the business dealings, he brings it up at every possible opportunity. For example, in the engagement interview he explained that he looked into 'princess rings' and stressed the importance of him marrying into a European royal family.

Other than that, they are clearly fond of each other and appear to be in the same scene which made them connect in the first place. However, I agree with others that it looks like there are also pragmatic reasons for them to be in this relationship. They are trying to proof their love for each other far too much in their public communication.

Last edited:
Goods grief, I don't know which one is "starry-eyed" stranger.
Is this his first long term adult relationship with a woman ?

He seems to enjoy playing up the "Royalty" aspect and connections too. How he did "historical research on ALL the royal engagement rings". Well
OK then.
I also had to laugh when Martha Louise said it "takes time to plan a Royal Wedding" . I'm sure her Family and The Court were thrilled to hear that. Maybe, since she had a lavish production for her first in May of 2002, She might want to go the Princess Anne low-key 2nd Wedding Route.

Her first Wedding was every girls "Princess Dream" Wedding, a horse and carriage ride with her Father the King, arriving at The Cathedral.
Followed by a Palace dinner AND glittering Ball.
Something tells me, ( but I don't think her or him) that King Harold and Queen Sonia aren't going to be up for ANYTHING even remotely smacking of Martha Louise's "planning a Royal Wedding" ideas for the second time around.

Not in the age continuing Covid, instability with Russia's intentions, and a generally worsening Economic forecast for Europe and the US.

Last edited:
Goods grief, I don't know which one is "starry-eyed" stranger.
Is this his first long term adult relationship with a woman ?
No, he has been married to a woman, Zaneta Marzalkova, for a few years (2005-2009) but reported her to the immigration authorities in 2008 and she was deported. Afterwards he was in a relationship with a man whom he was engaged to and supposed to marry in 2015 but they broke off before the wedding. He also lived together for 6 years with another woman - Tiana Griego - (it is unclear to me where this fits in the time line - and while it seems it wasn't a romantic relationship, their relationship seems concerning). Accoording to Tiana "Durek controlled my whole life. It was as if he became jealous of anything that stole his attention. I was not allowed to start a serious romantic relationship or raise my son. It was all about Durek." (see background on his wikipedia page for the original sources)

He seems to enjoy playing up the "Royalty" aspect and connections too. How he did "historical research on ALL the royal engagement rings". Well
OK then.
I also had to laugh when Martha Louise said it "takes time to plan a Royal Wedding" . I'm sure her Family and The Court were thrilled to hear that. Maybe, since she had a lavish production for her first in May of 2002, She might want to go the Princess Anne low-key 2nd Wedding Route.

Her first Wedding was every girls "Princess Dream" Wedding, a horse and carriage ride with her Father the King, arriving at The Cathedral.
Followed by a Palace dinner AND glittering Ball.
Something tells me, ( but I don't think her or him) that King Harold and Queen Sonia aren't going to be up for ANYTHING even remotely smacking of Martha Louise's "planning a Royal Wedding" ideas for the second time around.

Not in the age continuing Covid, instability with Russia's intentions, and a generally worsening Economic forecast for Europe and the US.

I agree that the royal house is not likely to make this a big spectacle but the couple might have different ideas, so it will be interesting to see what it will be like.

Verrett has a sketchy background and is rather indiscreet but I can honestly say that I don't get malevolent vibes from him.

He talks too much, and let's just say he is into hyperbole to put it kindly.

But Martha Louise is no snow maiden. She is a middle aged woman with enough experience outside the Royal cocoon to know what she is getting into. And if she doesn't, it's not her fiance's fault.:cool:

For the sake of her three vulnerable young daughters I hope everything works out well.

Last edited:
I don't get malevolent vibes from him too, but I do get weird/creepy vibes. He is so creepy! And kinda shady too.

But oh well, if theirs is a love match, then I wish all the best for them. I wish them happiness.

I will be lurking around here to see if there's any updates such as wedding date, and so on.

I wonder if he will attend IA’s 18th birthday gala next weekend. I would hate to see him detract from her.

It's sad they're receiving death threats. I do hope they have a good security team. I am sure all of this is a huge eye opener for Martha Louise.

Durek is weird and creepy. However, the Princess is also a very strange lady herself. They're perfectly suited for each other in my opinion.

Verrett has a sketchy background and is rather indiscreet but I can honestly say that I don't get malevolent vibes from him.

He talks too much, and let's just say he is into hyperbole to put it kindly.

But Martha Louise is no snow maiden. She is a middle aged woman with enough experience outside the Royal cocoon to know what she is getting into. And if she doesn't, it's not her finances fault.:cool:

For the sake of her three vulnerable young daughters I hope everything works out well.

Why vulnerable?

It's sad they're receiving death threats. I do hope they have a good security team. I am sure all of this is a huge eye opener for Martha Louise.

Durek is weird and creepy. However, the Princess is also a very strange lady herself. They're perfectly suited for each other in my opinion.

Or it makes her all the more determined to go the distance with him, to "prove" (for lack of a better word) that they can make it work.

:previous: They are vulnerable because they were semi-orphaned in traumatic circumstances. They are very young.

They might be very open to having a father figure...one who fills their minds and imaginations with all sorts of crazy ideas.

There was one idea in particular about sexually active women having an "imprint" that needs to be purified.

I won't go into more detail here. Look it up.:cool::eek:

:previous: They are vulnerable because they were semi-orphaned in traumatic circumstances. They are very young.

They might be very open to having a father figure...one who fills their minds and imaginations with all sorts of crazy ideas.

There was one idea in particular about sexually active women having an "imprint" that needs to be purified.

I won't go into more detail here. Look it up.:cool::eek:

I already suspected that it was because of their father. But I suspect they have amazing resilience, young or not.

The girls will eventually move away and start their own lives; and then it will just be the two of them. I believe the couple will spend more time in America, and less time in Norway, due to business commitments. Wonder how much publicity the wedding will generate? If there are Royal family members attending, then there is bound to be a lot of media presence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom