Death & Funeral of Ari Behn: December 25, 2019/January 3, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two very different perspectives on Ari's death by his mother and his former father-in-law:

Mother:
The darkness never took you. It was the bright shining light merging with you.

Former father-in-law/King:
Sometimes life is not to endure. For some, it gets so dark that nothing helps. Not even the love of their loved ones. Some see no other way than to leave life. Those who remain must live on. Poorer - without the one they loved.

"Ari Behn's publisher says that Behn leaves behind a completed script for a children's book which he has written with his eldest daughter Maud Angelica. It is uncertain whether if or when the book will be published"

It would be nice if the book were published in Ari's memory. Given the fact that he was well respected in the Scandinavian literary scene, it would be a fitting tribute.

lovely tribute by the king on his NY speech to mention ari behn. i have huge respect for him (the king) - from stating that norway was welcoming of everyone in a gay event, to this, he never fails to act with decency and with a human touch.

Great King . I saw his Speach and I wonder if he had to start his speech again . All was written on pages.

Great King . I saw his Speach and I wonder if he had to start his speech again . All was written on pages.

The King was ill before Christmas, so he couldn't pre-tape the speech then as he usually does. It was said then that it would be taped in the week after Christmas, so he/the staff had the time to rewrite.

In the beginning, it was said that Crown Princess Victoria would travel to Oslo to attend the funeral.
She has a long and close relationship with Norwegian princess Märtha-Louise and her ex-husband, writer and artist Ari Behn, who took his life on Christmas Day.
But now the court announces that it is Prince Daniel who alone will represent the entire Swedish royal family.
- The Crown Princess couple knew and liked Ari Behn a lot, but with a funeral with such short notice and near death it will be Prince Daniel, who represents the whole family, said Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department.
Prins Daniel åker utan Victoria till Oslo _ Aftonbladet

What is "Bisettes"? A funeral mass?

lovely tribute by the king on his NY speech to mention ari behn. i have huge respect for him (the king) - from stating that norway was welcoming of everyone in a gay event, to this, he never fails to act with decency and with a human touch.
I absolutely agree with you - for me he is one of the best monarchs europe has to offer right now! It is obvious why the Royal Couple is held in so much affection.

In the beginning, it was said that Crown Princess Victoria would travel to Oslo to attend the funeral.
She has a long and close relationship with Norwegian princess Märtha-Louise and her ex-husband, writer and artist Ari Behn, who took his life on Christmas Day.
But now the court announces that it is Prince Daniel who alone will represent the entire Swedish royal family.
- The Crown Princess couple knew and liked Ari Behn a lot, but with a funeral with such short notice and near death it will be Prince Daniel, who represents the whole family, said Margareta Thorgren, director of the press department.
Prins Daniel åker utan Victoria till Oslo _ Aftonbladet

Apparently Victoria is not attending the funeral as originally planned because Estelle broke her leg.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/s...-of-sweden-injured-in-skiing-accident-135684/

Apparently Victoria is not attending the funeral as originally planned because Estelle broke her leg.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/s...-of-sweden-injured-in-skiing-accident-135684/

Prince Daniel will be attending the funeral of Ari Behn's funeral on Friday while the Crown Princess stays at home. The court does not confirm that Estelle's skiing accident is the reason Victoria is absent from the funeral.
- What is planned is that Prince Daniel will attend the funeral service, says Johan Tegel, information officer at the court.
Estelle gipsad – bröt benet under skidresa

Preparations for the funeral.
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=89f75933e12a248aa29a1995c0398a02&oe=5EB1F29D
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9fe4d04d2ba506ad06455e568e1ec412&oe=5E983A52
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=27a44c4e0d9b131b38f954027242ae0c&oe=5E96D6A4
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8a39e4cb5e6f4f9bcfe44ac64933d6e7&oe=5E666540
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b42341feec490b4863375ff056639f05&oe=5E9C88B9

What is "Bisettes"? A funeral mass?

Norwegian differ between begravelse and bisettelse. Both are a funeral mass. The first is when the body is buried In the ground in a casket after the ceremony. The latter (in this case with Ari) is when cremation takes place afterwards - and setting down the urn with the ashes happens at a later date.

Possibly that part of it will be more private, as they now are inviting the world into the funeral mass.

Too sad,really is.:norwaystandard:

:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who will enter the Church with the 3 Children ? Martha Louise who is their Mother but not Ari's wife or Ari's parents ?

I find this all so strange… Suddenly it's as if Ari Behn is treated and glorified in his death as he never was in his lifetime… It even gives me a sense of guilt, as if someone ( a person, a family, an institution… ) was feeling guilty for something and would find in this all spectacle the funeral is becoming a way to ease this guilt… I'm finding this all funeral, more an exibhition than a respectful ceremony… Or maybe it's just God's way to give Behn the recognition men failed to give him in life… Does anyone think about his family and how hard this must all be for them???

Last edited:
There seem to be large crowds gathered around the cathedral ,the King and Queen are arriving now.

Wonderful floral tributes along the main aisle of the Cathedral.

Last edited:
I find this all so strange… Suddenly it's as if Ari Behn is treated and glorified in his death as he never was in his lifetime… It even gives me a sense of guilt, as if someone ( a person, a family, an institution… ) was feeling guilty for something and would find in this all spectacle the funeral is becoming a way to ease this guilt… I'm finding this all funeral, more an exibhition than a respectful ceremony… Or maybe it's just God's way to give Behn the recognition men failed to give him in life… Does anyone think about his family and how hard this must all be for them???

People are all different in how they react to a loved one’s death. Ari’s parents and daughters want a big funeral for him. If this gives them comfort and helps them grieve then that is good.

Princess Laurentien is also present.

It seems that Verret isn't there which I think is a good thing.

He was also a writer, not only former son-in-law of the King and father of his three granddaughters.

The outpouring is astonishing...i just wish something had stopped him. What a waste is all i keep thinking.:bang:

I wonder if Ari at least left a note for his loved ones...particularly his children, before he did it?:sad:

Here are some photos of the mass:

** Maud and Märtha Louise ** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** gala gallery: Die Bilder der Trauerfeier in Oslo ** dailymail article **

The following article includes Maud's speech:

** vg article ** translation **

Dad must have been so tired that he hadn't felt he had any other way out of this world
There's always a way out. I want to tell everyone that there is always a way out, even if it doesn't feel that way. You can get help and it can get better
You would say I was a sparkling diamond. Who says such things..(..)We wish we could give you a very last hug. We love you dad - you are a sparkling diamond you too

Last edited:
It seems that Verret isn't there which I think is a good thing.

Thank the cosmos for that. Invite a clown, expect a circus. It's a good thing he stayed far, far away.

Who will enter the Church with the 3 Children? Martha Louise, who is their Mother but not Ari's wife or Ari's parents?

Ari was not married at the time of his death. He had a girlfriend, and I would assume she's been invited. That said, his daughters would arrive with their mother, not with the girlfriend.

Such a pity I can't understand Norvegian…. but I can feel the very sad athmosphere.

Maud Angelica said at her speech that she was going to give the drawing of Ari as a Christmas present to her father...

Back
Top Bottom