Death & Funeral of Ari Behn: December 25, 2019/January 3, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am heartbroken for everyone who loved this man but it cannot be stressed enough...depression is a brutal, merciless, relentless disease. It is as destructive as end stage cancer, and just like terminal cancer there is no real cure.

People in the grip of a beast will do anything to free themselves. I wish people who call the victims "cowards" would try to cultivate compassion, and educate themselves.

May the Lord have mercy on Ari, and receive his soul.

I am heartbroken for everyone who loved this man but it cannot be stressed enough...depression is a brutal, merciless, relentless disease. It is as destructive as end stage cancer, and just like terminal cancer there is no real cure.

People in the grip of a beast will do anything to free themselves. I wish people who call the victims "cowards" would try to cultivate compassion, and educate themselves.

Although it may have seemed heartless for me to deem suicide as a coward's way out, I can speak from experience that it is. I just wish that Ari had the courage to talk to someone, anyone, before taking that drastic move. Where there is life, there is hope and if things are so bad that suicide seems the only way out, its hard to remember that the only way from rock bottom is up.

Fortunately, for me, it wasn't the answer I chose but it very well could have been. My apologies for coming across the wrong way. Any life lost before its time is a tragedy.

What terribly sad news. How dreadful for his family and friends. Those poor girls.

The news is heartbroking and shocking. My thoughts go to his poor daugthers, this must be devastating.

I'm so sorry for anyone close to Ari and especially for Emma, Leah and Maud!
Losing a parent at that age must be terribile, losing your father on Christmas beacause of suicide must be unbearable!
Depression Is a terrible illness and suicide Is not a easy way out or the decision of a coward. It's sad he couldn't receive the help he needed!
Hope his girls and all his loved One will be helped in this terrible Moment.

Although it may have seemed heartless for me to deem suicide as a coward's way out, I can speak from experience that it is. I just wish that Ari had the courage to talk to someone, anyone, before taking that drastic move. Where there is life, there is hope and if things are so bad that suicide seems the only way out, its hard to remember that the only way from rock bottom is up.

Fortunately, for me, it wasn't the answer I chose but it very well could have been. My apologies for coming across the wrong way. Any life lost before its time is a tragedy.

Osipi...you are one of the kindest posters here at TRF. I understand.

It's just that in addition to what feels like an epidemic of this tragedy all over the world, the Royal families of Spain, the Netherlands and now Norway have been personally touched by it.

I just want people to know that depression is not all in your head. All the will power and determination in the world will not help you without the grace of God.

And the fact that Martha-Louise is now the only living parent of those three vulnerable young girls makes my heart ache for them.

Last edited:
This is devastating news, and for this to happen during Christmas stings even more. My thoughts and prayers are with Ari's family, especially his daughters. Depression is crueler than I thought, and I hope people struggling with it receive the help they sorely need to overcome it.

Good heavens!
His poor daughters. And at this time of year.

I sincerely hope the NRF will be spared further grief and troubles for some time, I think they deserve a break!

I wholeheartedly agree!
Suicide as a result of a depression is beyond cowardice. It's despair.
Deep, dark, hopeless despair. - May we never fully understand how it feels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mental health is a horrible illness. And unfortunately because of the stigma still out there, so many people are lost. People don't look at getting mental health aid like medical help.

Part of me could rail how selfish to leave. How selfish to commit suicide on Christmas of all days. That every Christmas his family will think of this moment.

But then I think about what level of depression he was at. Where his mind was at. The help he clearly needed and didn't get. And that is my only thought.

My heart goes out to both families. His parents and siblings. It is clear from the royal statements that they still loved him dearly post divorce. Which is normal after so long. I am sure his nieces and nephews on both sides are at a loss.

But my truest sympathy for his daughters. Losing your dad at any age is beyond imaginable. Especially suddenly and no warning. Knowing he will never walk them down aisle, go to graduation, see their kids. Knowing every Christmas he will be missing. Alll my love and prayers for those three girls and that their mom and family can give them all the support needed in this.

Very sad news. My condolences are with his children and family at this very difficult time.

RIP.

That said.. Suicide at Christmas is hard to forgive.. no poor soul that loved him will never have a remotely happy Christmas again ..

Very sad news. I pray for his kids not to end up in depression because of this tragedy. It can easily start a vicious circle.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone who loved him or touched by his death.

I wholeheartedly agree!
Suicide as a result of a depression is beyond cowardice. It's despair.
Deep, dark, hopeless despair. - May we never fully understand how it feels.

I know this all to well I'm afraid, as I have been in the grips of severe depression several times in my life, so I can only say......poor man.....poor poor man :´( No human should suffer in that excruciating way that is deep depression.

I of course also feel very sorry for the family. They are just as much a victim of his illness. As with other illnesses, depression effects not only the depressed person.

I’ve dealt with (attempted) suicide up close. Miraculous medical attention saved his life. We were all so angry when we learned about the attempt. But now we know that he just couldn’t think of anything else to do, couldn’t see any way forward... He has gone on to live a wonderfully successful and happy life. We are so thankful.

Just saw their Wedding and Martha Louise tears during his speech in 2002... No words

I was one of those people (despite a few people in my family suffering from mental health issues) that thought of suicide as a selfish act; however, earlier this year I saw a comment - and I deeply regret that I have never been able to find the exact words since - that, if someone died from cancer, you wouldn't be blaming them, how is suicide any different??

So sorry to hear that Ari has died and thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Lets hope the media allows the family to grieve during this terribly sad time.

Very sad news. I pray for his kids not to end up in depression because of this tragedy. It can easily start a vicious circle.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone who loved him or touched by his death.

Depression is sometimes genetic, like diabetes. My worry is that instead of realizing this and taking immediate steps like intense therapy and counseling, ML will turn the children over to her quack boyfriend for some of his specialized "spirit healing".

I really hope the king and queen and Prince Haakon will put their collective feet down and intervene where those girls are concerned.:sad:

VG TV seems totally lost with this unexpected sad news. I believe most of them are on holidays for Christmas day. I saw the norvegiens started bringing small candles...

This is not the news a family wishes to hear around Christmas. Especially Ari's children. Suicide to me, in any way, shape or form, is selfish and a coward's way out of problems or issues.
What a cruel and pointless way to put things - you don´t know what you are talking about! Shame on you....

Suicide to me, in any way, shape or form, is selfish and a coward's way out of problems or issues.
Be glad that you obviously have no idea how depression works.
Depression has many faces, but the idea that the world would be better without you is just another one that the ill brain cannot shake off.
Or, like in my case, it's not that you want to die, it's that a monster sits in your brain and tries to kill you. I did not want to end my life for one second, but I had to avoid bridges and busy streets, because I couldn't trust my own brain. That was unbelievable scary. It's a cruel illness, a difficult, dangerous one.

Have a heart.

Last edited:
Depression is sometimes genetic, like diabetes. My worry is that instead of realizing this and taking immediate steps like intense therapy and counseling, ML will turn the children over to her quack boyfriend for some of his specialized "spirit healing".

I really hope the king and queen and Prince Haakon will put their collective feet down and intervene where those girls are concerned.:sad:

I sincerely hope that he doesn't try to be their 'replacement father' and/or do other damage to those vulnerable girls.

What a cruel and pointless way to put things - you don´t know what you are talking about! Shame on you....

Be glad that you obviously have no idea how depression works.
Depression has many faces, but the idea that the world would be better without you is just another one that the ill brain cannot shake off.
Or, like in my case, it's not that you want to die, it's that a monster sits in your brain and tries to kill you. I did not want to end my life for one second, but I had to avoid bridges and busy streets, because I couldn't trust my own brain.
It's a cruel illness, a difficult, dangerous one.

Better read Osipi's other messages first before you make statements about things that you don't know anything about - such as Osipi's life story [which, obviously, I don't know either but read the other messages].

I understand it might hit hard and/or close to home to many but don't assume others don't know what they are talking about just because they have a different point of view.

Last edited:
I just heard it on the radio news. How terribly sad, especially for his three daughters.

Back
Top Bottom