Death & Funeral of Ari Behn: December 25, 2019/January 3, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is not the news a family wishes to hear around Christmas. Especially Ari's children. Suicide to me, in any way, shape or form, is selfish and a coward's way out of problems or issues.

My heart goes out to the family he's left behind.

How very sad on Christmas Day ,my thoughts are with his family at this terribly sad time.

So sad that he felt the need to take his own life but also for his children and family who will face his loss every Christmas Day.

The Norwegian Royal Court has released the following (sorry its only a google translation)

In connection with Ari Behn's passing, His Majesty announces to the King and Her Majesty the Queen:

It is with great sadness that the Queen and I have received the message of Ari Behn's passing. Ari has been an important part of our family for many years, and we carry warm, fond memories of him. We are grateful that we got to know him. We grieve that our grandchildren have now lost their beloved father - and have deep compassion for his parents and siblings, who have now lost their beloved son and brother. We pray that Ari's immediate family will be at ease during this painful time.

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon and Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mette-Marit announce the following:

For us, Ari was a good friend, a dear family member and a wonderful uncle, with whom we shared many of life's small and big moments. It is with great sadness that we have received the message of his passing away. We were all very fond of Ari. Our thoughts go especially to Maud, Leah, Emma, ​​Princess Märtha Louise and Ari's immediate family.

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=175301&sek=112472

Last edited:
This is shocking. It didn't know he was having mental health struggles. I thought he was fine with his post-divorce life. His poor daughters.

Christmas is always a time of increased rate of suicides, but it's still surprising.

This is such sad news. I'm so sorry for his family and friends, and I'm especially sorry for the pain and despair that drove him to take his own life. Rest in peace.

This is such awful news. My heart goes out to his family.

So very sad to hear this.
Poor girls!!!

Oh, What a sad news.
Poor his daughters.

RIP

I am deeply saddened to hear this news - it is really is tragic and I feel for his children and family.

I followed with interest Martha-Louise and Ari during their courtship and marriage and thought he was a splendid man. Such an interesting character, but below the surface a sadder side to him.

The message from the Royal Court was lovely and heartfelt.

Such a terrible news; especially for his three daughters. I hope their mother and grandparents and paternal family will be able to support them in their loss (while they themselves must be devastated as well).

That's so so sad. That Ari has seen no other alternative and that the poor girls are now faced with that immense loss.

My thoughts are with his daugthers, may Ari rest in peace..

Oh no, how utterly devastating for his daughters and family... no words...

Last edited by a moderator:
But i' ve read that Ari had to spend Christsmas with the NRF !!!

Ari Behn passera la Noël avec la famille royale de Norvège – Noblesse & Royautés

I'm totally in shock !

If true (which in most cases would not be very likely given that Durek was attending as well - but we've seen stranger things with Märtha Louise; so they could have decided that it would be in the best interest of the girls if both parents were with them for Christmas), he must have stayed home for the church service... (and I don't want to think about what happened next)

Last edited:
Perhaps he was supposed to be with the NRF but plans changed. There's very little information yet. How sad for his daughters and all his family.

It is not up to us to judge Ari. Mental health issues can drive people to places that are difficult to comprehend and are many times unbearable to those who reach that state.

It is really incredibly sad for his family and particularly his daughters, especially on a Christmas day. Our thoughts and prayers should go to them.

Awful, sad news. Condolences to Ari Behn's family and friends.

Ari Behn took his own life, his family reported today.

https://www.nrk.no/norge/ari-behn-er-dod-1.14836930

It's extremely tragic but it seems a wise decision to be open about the fact that his cause of death is suicide. Otherwise speculations would have been rampant; now everyone can concentrate on the tragedy and support those closest to him.

I am sure they will receive a quick message from the Dutch royal couple who unfortunately know all to well what it means when a family member takes their own life. While the main focus must be on the Behn daughters, it must be hard to process for his niece(s) and nephews as well.

Was Ari still in a relationship with Ebba Rysst Heilmann?

I'm in shock. Ari, it seems, was a very dear person to the royal family with whom he seemed to have a good relationship despite the divorce.
It is a tragedy for the daughters. RIP :sad:

Back
Top Bottom