Death & Funeral of Ari Behn: December 25, 2019/January 3, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although it may have seemed heartless for me to deem suicide as a coward's way out, I can speak from experience that it is. I just wish that Ari had the courage to talk to someone, anyone, before taking that drastic move. Where there is life, there is hope and if things are so bad that suicide seems the only way out, its hard to remember that the only way from rock bottom is up.
How do you know he didn´t?! I guess, since he was suffering so long of this sickness, he was even under psychiatric and/ or therapeutic supervision.
He was obviously not a man dealing with it all on his own since he even made his problems public...
From my professional experience I know that people commiting suicide often DID speak about their agony with others - still at some stage they unfortunately decide for the worst....!

In any case, IMO there is a time and a place to critiicse and the time to criticise is not just when the person has died, tragically.

Having two people close to me who suffer with depression I can say it is not an easy illness. Some may say it is a selfish act to commit suicide and they should have gotten help. Some do seek help as Arid did but, the reality is what was going on is his head was what he heard. Depression does not just affect you mentally but it physically cause you pain. I would hope that people will read about depression and it's symptoms before they judge anyone who suffers and commits suicide. There is so much that goes along with this disease.

The lit candles outside the Moss Church are a wonderful tribute.

hope the media give ML and her daughters the space they deserve to mourn in peace. wonder if ari left any instructions for his funeral, i hope this is what he would have wanted as it is a public place to put 3 little girls in after the suicide of their dad.

What a splendid thing to do!

It is, I understand, a sad fact that suicides tend to "inspire" others, so to speak.

indeed, they do inspire other suicides. i remember a time in 2018 when we heard of many suicides of public figures one after the other. anthony bourdain, kate spade and maxima's younger sister all happened within a few weeks of one another. it certainly gives people ideas.

One can only hope that the Shaman will not make a great entrance at the funeral.

it would seem that ari and the shaman kept a friendly relationship, so i wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

hope the media give ML and her daughters the space they deserve to mourn in peace. wonder if ari left any instructions for his funeral, i hope this is what he would have wanted as it is a public place to put 3 little girls in after the suicide of their dad.

indeed, they do inspire other suicides. i remember a time in 2018 when we heard of many suicides of public figures one after the other. anthony bourdain, kate spade and maxima's younger sister all happened within a few weeks of one another. it certainly gives people ideas.

it would seem that ari and the shaman kept a friendly relationship, so i wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

Really I hope he will remain discreet

Really I hope he will remain discreet

I mean the shaman

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel so sorry for everyone who loved him, but most of all I feel for him. How lonely and heart wrenching it must have been to make the decision to leave this earth, knowing he'd leave behind his young daughters. Depression and mental illness truly are tragic. I hope he has found peace and his girls know their father loved them and he is at peace now.

If I am reading the article correctly, it implies that his family took the decision to hold the funeral in a spacious venue for the sake of being able to welcome all who wish to attend.

I don't fully understand the explanation given by the government spokeswoman as to why the funeral will not be publicly funded; is she saying in essence that Ari Behn has not achieved the rank in his field which would qualify him for a state-funded funeral?

If I am reading the article correctly, it implies that his family took the decision to hold the funeral in a spacious venue for the sake of being able to welcome all who wish to attend.

I don't fully understand the explanation given by the government spokeswoman as to why the funeral will not be publicly funded; is she saying in essence that Ari Behn has not achieved the rank in his field which would qualify him for a state-funded funeral?
A state funded funeral is for soldiers (I imagine war heroes and those who've fallen when in service), leading politicians and a few leading persons in culture.

No, it won't be a state.funeral but fairly close.

Representatives from the Norwegian government will be present.
The bishop of Oslo will conduct the funeral.
And since the cathedral can hold 900 and is expected to be full and the media coverage will be massive - it's pretty close.

ML - is IMO a must. If not for her own sake, then certainly because she will be going with hers and Ari Behn's children.
It is not yet known whether other representatives of the NRF will attend as well. - So all in all, it comes pretty close to a state funeral.

It will of course be most interesting - for a number of reasons - as to whether Durek will also be present.
But apart from that I don't feel any particular inclination to discuss him further here, we will hear from him soon enough...

Will members of the Swedish and Danish royal families attend the funeral?

Will members of the Swedish and Danish royal families attend the funeral?

The swedish RF’s Information Department told VG.no that they have not yet decided wether to attend. But as it is a public funeral, i am almost sure that Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel will be attending, unless they are far abroad. They were very close friends with Ari and Victoria and ML have been very close since childhood.

One can only hope that the Shaman will not make a great entrance at the funeral.

He and Ari seemed to be friends so i won’t rule out his presence.

But it is important to remember that if he is present, he is there because the family wants him to be there. I have often been very critical of him and for good reasons, but i have to say in his defense that he behaved perfectly on Christmas Day at Holmenkollen Chapel.

Ari and the shaman seemed to be friends. So it is normal if the shaman goes to the funeral.

Even if Durek Verett and the deceased had formed a friendship, under the circumstances I feel that it is not appropriate for him to attend.

He is the lover of Ari's former wife. He is a controversial figure in Norway and throughout Scandinavia, and that is putting it mildly. There is going to be tremendous media coverage of this funeral.

It is going to be quite an emotional ordeal for the children, and even though ML was divorced from Ari, she would not be human if she was not now experiencing deeply conflicted emotions...grief, confusion, shock, regret, anger...

The presence of the man she has been proclaiming as her "eternal love"...the man who has been crowing online about the tantric sex he enjoys with her...is simply not needed at this time.

Durek and ML will have a lifetime together if that is what they want.

Let Ari's family...especially his girls...grieve their father publicly without having to endure the presence of their mother's controversial lover.:ermm:

Last edited:
Personally I don't think Durek should attend, just as I didn't think he should have attended the Christmas Day service. But that shouldn't be the issue here.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Victoria and/or Daniel attend, but assume they will only do so if the NRF attend.

Why wouldn’t the King & Queen attend the funeral? He was their granddaughters’ father.

Personally I don't think Durek should attend, just as I didn't think he should have attended the Christmas Day service. But that shouldn't be the issue here.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Victoria and/or Daniel attend, but assume they will only do so if the NRF attend.

And we have doubts the NRF will attend??? Haakon and MM were close to him. Not to mention wanting to support their nieces and ML. They are a given. I wouldn't be shocked if the king and queen went to. He was family for years and the father of three of their grandchildren.

Why shouldn't Durek have gone to Christmas? It wasn't an official royal event, simply the family church outing. The public questioning his work isn't grounds for the family to shun him.

But I agree he would be out of place at the funeral. If this was a few years down the road, and he was married to ML and close to her girls, maybe as support. But it isn't

Personally, M-L's new boytoy making an appearance at the funeral would be tacky, and that's the nicest way I can put it without running afoul of the TOS. This guy is...not acceptable for anyone, princess or not, and even if he was, he's not a member of the family. He's not a member of the royal family, he's not a member of the Behn family, he's not even a close family friend. He has no business attending. If he wants to "console" M-L, he can do it privately.

Of course, given how utterly bat guano M-L has turned in recent years, I fully expect her to show up in a fuschia pink dress, so who knows. For the sake of her children, I hope she defies my expectations.

We have absolutely no idea how close or not close Durek Verrett is to Ari’s children. All we know is that Ari and Durek appeared to get along well. I think the Behn family is fully capable of deciding themselves who they want to invite and not.

If the Norwegian Royal Family decides to attend (wich i am almost sure all of them will do, including the King and Queen), i’m pretty sure Victoria and Daniel will do the same.

If the Norwegian Royal Family decides to attend (wich i am almost sure all of them will do, including the King and Queen), i’m pretty sure Victoria and Daniel will do the same.

Won't be surprised if Mary and Frederik attend either. Frederik has known ML since they were kids and M&F have always seemed like they got along well with ML and Ari.

Won't be surprised if Mary and Frederik attend either. Frederik has known ML since they were kids and M&F have always seemed like they got along well with ML and Ari.
The couple is still scheduled to attend the last (and the biggest) of the New year's levees on the third of January. I wonder if they could both leave The Queen to handle it all by herself.

I fully expect the whole NRF there to support their granddaughters/nieces.

Since Durek hasn't been in Norway many times during the time he has been dating Märtha Louise, he couldn't have met Ari very many times, so I doubt that Durek and Ari were friends. They had met and been polite towards each other because of Märtha Louise and Märtha Louise and Ari's daughters. That Durek wrote "Love you brother" to a photo of him and Ari to his Instagram story in his exaggerative style, they are just his words. Ari was nice and smart and didn't want to say anything negative about Durek to the press because of his daughters and good relationship he had still with Märtha Louise and the royal family.

Svensk Damtidning asked yesterday from the swedish royal court which Swedish royal will travel to Norway to honor Ari. But it is not clear yet.
- It is not decided, says Margareta Thorgren.
Då begravs Ari Behn _ Svensk Dam

EDIT:
Svensk Damtidning writes this morning
According to information of Svensk Damtidning, it is therefore a matter of course for Victoria to be by Märtha Louise's side when Ari Behn is brought to the final rest. ' The Swedish crown princess, who usually celebrates the New Year in the Alps or the Norwegian mountains, will, according to our sources, interrupt her holiday to be present on this heavy day.
Victoria åker till Oslo för att stötta Märtha Louise _ Svensk Dam

Victoria and Daniel have usually been on a skiing holiday in Norway or Sweden during New Year and Epiphany Day.

Last edited:
He and Ari seemed to be friends so i won’t rule out his presence.

But it is important to remember that if he is present, he is there because the family wants him to be there. I have often been very critical of him and for good reasons, but i have to say in his defense that he behaved perfectly on Christmas Day at Holmenkollen Chapel.
He behaved perfectly? What could he have done wrong there? Perform a shaman ritual in front of the chapel....?

Even if Durek Verett and the deceased had formed a friendship, under the circumstances I feel that it is not appropriate for him to attend.

He is the lover of Ari's former wife. He is a controversial figure in Norway and throughout Scandinavia, and that is putting it mildly. There is going to be tremendous media coverage of this funeral.

It is going to be quite an emotional ordeal for the children, and even though ML was divorced from Ari, she would not be human if she was not now experiencing deeply conflicted emotions...grief, confusion, shock, regret, anger...

The presence of the man she has been proclaiming as her "eternal love"...the man who has been crowing online about the tantric sex he enjoys with her...is simply not needed at this time.

Durek and ML will have a lifetime together if that is what they want.

Let Ari's family...especially his girls...grieve their father publicly without having to endure the presence of their mother's controversial lover.:ermm:
It´s not for us to decide who will attend this funeral or who will not. MLs boyfriend is not a criminal (I can almost hear some voices now claiming he was one.... Legally he is not!). So let´s just wait and see...
Märtha being in grief, in shock etc. is only natural. She was always a highly emotional person - too emotional, publicly, in many cases in my opinion if you would ask me. Often she started to cry during interviews or speeches when there was nothing really to cry about - but well, everyone is different. So, those who ask themselves if she will grieve "properly", she definitely will. And to one poster claiming she will probably appear in fuchsia pink at the funeral I can only say, no, she will definitely wear black....!

The couple is still scheduled to attend the last (and the biggest) of the New year's levees on the third of January. I wonder if they could both leave The Queen to handle it all by herself.

Oh, I somehow forgot all about the annual New Year's hullaballoo. Can't imagine Frederik would be able to go then and very doubtful about Mary too. What a shame.

Maybe Alexia Greece will attend since she is Emma's godmother.

did this actually happen?! :ermm: how embarrasing for ML. not sure why she doesn't put a stop to this.

I just mentioned that Ari and the shaman seemed to have a good relationship. But I also think it's better for the shaman not to go to the funeral.

Back
Top Bottom