Death & Funeral of Ari Behn: December 25, 2019/January 3, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maud Angelica said at her speech that she was going to give the drawing of Ari as a Christmas present to her father...

OMG, this is just devastating for all involved. Poor little girl:sad:

Maud Angelica said at her speech that she was going to give the drawing of Ari as a Christmas present to her father...

That's really heartbreaking......:sad:

:previous:
People are all different in how they react to a loved one’s death. Ari’s parents and daughters want a big funeral for him. If this gives them comfort and helps them grieve then that is good.

Very true. Having been through the funerals of people close to me, I can say that it's a comfort, the last thing you can do for your loved one.

Were there no representatives from the Danish Royal Family?

I saw it in live appreciated much the Women who celebrated the Funerals.

I saw tears on King Harald's face durig his Grand Daughter's Speech.

Wjy was Princess Laurentien there ?
Why the only important Decoration Ari Behn had is a Dutch one ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can assume that perhaps Frederik and/or Mary May have visited with ML and her daughters privately since there was a scheduling conflict. Both families are so close.

:previous:

Very true. Having been through the funerals of people close to me, I can say that it's a comfort, the last thing you can do for your loved one.

Were there no representatives from the Danish Royal Family?

The Danes are busy with official New Year commitments.

The Danes are busy with official New Year commitments.

But not Joachim and Marie. Don't how close they where but Ari and Märtha attended their Wedding in 2008

Such a moving and strong speech by Maud Angelica. It must have been so hard for her - but she did it so wonderfully. What a strong girl. I found it especially impressive that she spoke about mental health and how everyone can get help.

Bravo to Maud Angelica! What a speech and what a message to bring to the world at such a trying time for her. Heartbreaking and beautiful.

I think we can assume that perhaps Frederik and/or Mary May have visited with ML and her daughters privately since there was a scheduling conflict. Both families are so close.

Another possibility is that the Norwegian royals have asked them to visit in the weeks after the funeral.

I cannot tell you how moving it was to watch the funeral services and I really am glad to have had the opportunity to do so.

Maud Angelica's beautiful tribute to her father was a brave and loving thing to do. Her words were heartbreaking at times. One thing that struck me at that moment was wondering if anyone suffering from suicidal thoughts could see the love of those left behind of someone who actually did commit suicide and whether seeing such love of a daughter (as well as family members, friends and other mourners) may help them see there might be an alternative for them.

The funeral service was beautifully done, I was struck by the delicate candlelight in the cathedral and the flowers - I noticed Martha lilies amongst the tributes...a reminder of the flowers used at Ari and Martha-Louise's wedding.

The music also very moving - I wonder if anyone can tell us what the music was tody - especially the pianist-singer and the organ/violinist piece.

The speech of Ari’s parents was only pretentious... The speech of Maud was touching.

I like that they did not include the Shaman in the funeral.

The music also very moving - I wonder if anyone can tell us what the music was tody - especially the pianist-singer and the organ/violinist piece.

Apart from the Ave Maria I recognized the second piece of music which is on the tune of a famous German Christmas hymn 'Es ist ein Ros entsprungen' (A rose has sprung up) from 1599/1609.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Es_ist_ein_Ros_entsprungen

It was a very moving service indeed. I admire how strong his daughters, parents and siblings were to be able to give a eulogy on such a moment. It is just so overwhelmingly sad. The NRF has behaved in a dignified and exemplary manner. They & the (former) in laws seem to be a close-knit group, let's hope that they will find some comfort with each other to overcome their great loss.

Last edited:

Here is the program of the funeral
https://cdn.ebs.newsner.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2020/01/programblad01.jpg

Galleries
Belga Image
Belga Image

Daniel and Laurentien
https://e.cdn-expressen.se/images/e2/b6/e2b65859e80c40ceba1846f3ac476b4a/16x9/1280@60.jpg

Victoria and Daniel's flowers
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050011Y15780666571676272
King Harald and queen Sonja's flowers
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010060011S15780667511196355
Haakon and Mette-Marit's flowers
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010060021S15780667511196355

It was nice to see Daniel bow to Ari's coffin when he arrived to the funeral, honoring him.

NTB has published Märtha Louise's text to Ari:
Märtha Louise etter Ari Behns død_ – Vi er i dyp sorg og smerte alle sammen – NRK Norge
Translation

I find this all so strange… Suddenly it's as if Ari Behn is treated and glorified in his death as he never was in his lifetime… It even gives me a sense of guilt, as if someone ( a person, a family, an institution… ) was feeling guilty for something and would find in this all spectacle the funeral is becoming a way to ease this guilt… I'm finding this all funeral, more an exibhition than a respectful ceremony… Or maybe it's just God's way to give Behn the recognition men failed to give him in life… Does anyone think about his family and how hard this must all be for them???
First of all lots of people do not only "think" about his family, but really do care and suffer with them!

2nd his own family prepared his funeral or was heavily involved in its preperations. It occured to me that everything that happened was entirely their wish how things would be done! They obviously have been consulted before by norweg. television about who would be filmed close up and who not (Aris parents have been filmed close up while his siblings chose not to be filmed close).

The whole ceremony was not an "exhibition" at all (how can you post such a thing before you have actually seen it...?!) , but very dignified, beautiful and caring!
Ari Behn has not been denied of "recognition" at all. In norwegian society and in its media he was very much present since about 20 years. Of course there were good times and bad and he had his share of critics, like everybody in the public eye does experience. But there would be no reason for society or norwegians in general to be "ashamed" of any kind of failure towards the deceased. The poor man simply had a very bad desease.

Last edited:

The Pianist/singer is Sigvart Dagsland. He sung one of his own songs - Alt eg såg (everything I saw) - which is commonly used in funerals. He is one of the Godfathers of Emma Behn.

What a moving service, I am sure especially the daughters will draw strength and comfort from being able to say goodbye to their father in such a loving and personal way.

A lovely service. Maud's speech was very touching, and it is being hailed in the media.

His brother... I felt quite bad for him, standing up there and making the speech while in tears and the voice breaking. It is a credit to the camera people that they did not zoom in on him during that moment.

Personally, I have always thought of Marianne Behn in the same category as Märtha Louise has come to now, later- and it was through her Ari and ML met. The speech she gave was very her style. Ari's father's speech was much more down to earth.

I saw that Ingrid Alexandra attended, lovely that she was there to support her cousins. Did Sverre Magnus or Marius attend?

Truly, a loving and moving tribute to a man deeply loved by many, many people. It was also nice to see that despite the fact he and M-L had been divorced for several years at this point, he was still highly regarded by his former in-laws.

I don't know that I could give the eulogy at my father's funeral, regardless of his manner of death, so Maud showed more strength than I know I currently possess, and she's 21 years younger than I am.

Such a sad moment...
Was pink Ari's favorite color? I noticed the immediate family members wearing pink hair items.
Maud showed such strength. I am glad she took the opportunity to remind all (perhaps there were some in the audience contemplating suicide) that there is always a way out.

Such a sad moment...
Was pink Ari's favorite color? I noticed the immediate family members wearing pink hair items.
Maud showed such strength. I am glad she took the opportunity to remind all (perhaps there were some in the audience contemplating suicide) that there is always a way out.

Maud mentioned in her speech that pink was his favourite colour, and they were all wearing it in honour of him.

I admire Märtha Louise standing next to her daughter while she had the hardest speech in her life. Maud was very strong. Perhaps she was so strong because her mother gave her the support.

As my father died I was only four years older then Maud now is. I had never ever the strength to hold such an emotional farewell to my father. She has my deepest respect.

Back
Top Bottom