Ari Behn's mental issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
Svenskdamtidning has a report about Ari Behn. He said that he "would sooner or later thrown out of the family home".

Google Übersetzer

Seher.no

There are several articles in the Norwegian press that say that Ari Behn admits he is suffering from chronical depressions and that it is only getting worse.
A quote:
Ari Behn said:
"My wife and girls are the best in the world but as a husband, I am difficult to treat. Sorry. I'm terribly bad for practical things and it annoys everyone. Including myself."
(BB)

Is he really suffering depression? Could it be a cause of alot of pressure marrying into the royal family? or did he suffer from depression before he married?
Its sad because he has a wonderful family and a very outgoing joyful wife.

Is he really suffering depression? Could it be a cause of alot of pressure marrying into the royal family? or did he suffer from depression before he married?
I don't know... at least he says that....

A reporter asked that question, too...
Kjendis said:
- When he says he is chronically depressed, he believes that he is mentally ill or is it simply a speech he uses to describe its natural disposition?

-Without that I should go in and interpret what he says: It's not so unusual for artists and writers who put greater and greater demands on themselves, while the experience of youth self-confidence and arrogance crumble, experience to go into a certain depression, there is an artist's nature, says Rønningen.
source:
- Ari var helt ærlig - kjendis - Dagbladet.no

I don't know. This is just weird. It's weird that Ari Behn first talks about this mental issues in a very pessimistic interview and doesn't want to comment afterwards.
Why does he talk about it in public at all? :huh:
Didn't he (and also Märtha Louise) want to keep their private lifes away from public as much as possible?

Last edited:
Its away of seeking attention. Anyone who wants attention goes to the press.
IMO, instead of taking it to the press why not take it to someone who can help.

sorry to say this but the first thing that came to my mind is "does he publish a new book soon that needs some extra promotion?" ari has done controversial topics before (drugs, prostitutes) and as somebody said before writers or artists like to flirt with issues like addiction, depression etc, it gives them a more authentic image.

i am aware that depression is a serious illness but at the same time it deserves to be addressed as such, meaning not in an attention-seeking way via mass media. by doing so it is clear that family issues will become the subject of gossip, what is careless for a family that claims to be "private".

If he does indeed suffer from a mental illness, I hope that he gets the help that he needs. This could also turn out to be something positive. If he gets help, maybe he will be able to put the spotlight on mental illness. It is something that is worldwide, and affects people from all social classes. Unfortunately it has such a negative stigma. Maybe Ari Behn could speak out against the negative image of mental illness. He could urge others to get help, and possibly put pressure on medical clinics and governments to improve and offer more programs designed to help those with mental illness.

I just hope he get´s better, if he's really suffering of a mental illness.

Did he addmit on having a mental illness? I don't think so, he just said, he's difficult to live with...it could mean anything...:ermm:, anyway, wish him well if it is a mental illness, that's serious...

Poor Martha Louise. Whether he is seriously ill or does it for publicity it is an awful
gesture on his part.
Whatever happenned to privacy and descretion?

Perhaps we can get some feedback from our Norwegian members and hear what they have to say about all of this. Thanks in advance.

Is it a preparation of the public for an announcement of a divorce ?

Poor Martha Louise. Whether he is seriously ill or does it for publicity it is an awful
gesture on his part.
Whatever happenned to privacy and descretion?
Would the comment have been the same if he had broken his leg or amputated an arm? Depression and mental illnesses are no more shameful than other ailments. Ari was being interviewed and refreshingly open about himself. King Harald's heart surgery was openly discussed yet no comments then about privacy and discretion.

Would the comment have been the same if he had broken his leg or amputated an arm? Depression and mental illnesses are no more shameful than other ailments. Ari was being interviewed and refreshingly open about himself. King Harald's heart surgery was openly discussed yet no comments then about privacy and discretion.

I agree with you 100% gerevinnan! I think it is good that he speaks out, or at least that the court says what is going on. The same happened with prince Claus of The Netherlands in the 80'ties.

I agree there is nothing wrong with Ari’s admission of having a mental illness. However, I wonder whether someone could give a direct translation of what exactly he said: as far as I could read, Ari didn’t actually said he had a mental illness, just that he is a difficult person to live with (which was also somehow interpreted as difficulties to the point of break up in his marriage).

Is it a preparation of the public for an announcement of a divorce ?
Well, Ari never talked about a divorce.
In the Side2 article (I posted above) it was mentioned that Ari never talked about a seperation. This was only the interpretation by magazines like BB or S&H.
Actually Ari said that his wife and children are the best he could imagine.

I somehow don't think there'll be an announcement of a seperation/ divorce or whatever...

I just can say: if Ari really suffers from depressions I hope he gets the help he needed. I seriously hope that this interview wasn't just a weird PR thing to promote his next book.

Last edited:
I believe there must be 'more to the story' I will keep my sympathy for his wife until then. As some of us know, marriage is a very complicated relationship(even the good ones are not easy) and for him to go to the press to me is disrespectful to his wife. It would have been different if she were sitting there with him.

:previous:I see your point and agree.
That was my first thought, too. Well, I hope Märtha knew he was going to talk about his "mental issues" in this interview.
On the other hand I also agree with what grevinnan and Marengo said earlier in this thread.:ermm:
My feeling about this Ari-Behn-Interview are very ambivalent.

I'm glad he has admitted an illness, and i do hope that he gets the correct treatment, i would hate this to ruin his marriage. Him and Marth-Louise are perfect for each other. :flowers:

If it is true, I as well see no problem with it that Ari Behn talked about his mental illness in an interview. I wish him a good treatment, soon recovery and I also hope it will not weigh down the marriage too much.

I really hope so ! This would be terrible for the girls !
Well, Ari never talked about a divorce.
In the Side2 article (I posted above) it was mentioned that Ari never talked about a seperation. This was only the interpretation by magazines like BB or S&H.
Actually Ari said that his wife and children are the best he could imagine.

I somehow don't think there'll be an announcement of a seperation/ divorce or whatever...

I just can say: if Ari really suffers from depressions I hope he gets the help he needed. I seriously hope that this interview wasn't just a weird PR thing to promote his next book.

Is it just me or does being mentally ill seem too heavy a label to put on someone who is depressed. There are so many variations of depression and many people are occasionally depressed in their lives (and perhaps take medication for it).

I might be wrong but I think being mentally ill is hereditary which is all the more terrible for the family.

Ari's comments seem self-indulgent IMO, and for some reason he seems hopeless, as if he doesn't want to seek help and potentially get better.

Many people in my family have suffered with this problem (maybe it's a common problem for Norwegians like Ari and me?--although I bet Seasonal Affective Disorder probably has some role in this), and it's inconceivable to me that you give up.

'Mentally Ill' is too heavy a label for depression IMO. But I have to wonder when Ari talks about being chronically depressed, if he's really more of a manic-depression type. There certainly are pleanty of treatments and medications out there for depression - no need for a pity party. Just get help.

Ari's comments seem self-indulgent IMO, and for some reason he seems hopeless, as if he doesn't want to seek help and potentially get better.\.

I agree. The whole thing sounded self-indulgent and extremely pretentious to me. Sometimes I think people invent problems for themselves so they can seem more "artistic," as if their "tortured souls" are just too delicate and different to deal with everyday life.

Sadly, I think these things sometimes become self-fulfilling prophesies.

Call me a little impatient with Ari... but I think there's a difference between being artistic and allowing oneself to wallow in depression and then discussing it in public.

Aside from his work, Ari has a lovely family and I would assume they're financially better off than millions of people in the world. And in Norway he would have access to decent health care. I think he ought to quit his whining in public.

I would have a different response if he had admitted he suffered from depression and that he was seeking help (and that other depressed people can seek help, too, etc.).

I feel that if he had broken a leg as was suggested, he would not run to give an interview about it and say he got kicked out of the house more than once (Perhaps something was lost in translation and I misunderstood the statement)
I agree that if this was something that had to be aired and publicised, Martha Louise's presence by his side would seem like a battle they are fighting together to preserve their marriage.
Matha Louise became a private citizen after her marriage to pursue a life away from the court and its restrictions. Why can't her husband respect her position?
Mental illness and depression are serious issues and most times not discussed in a constructive way, however I find it bad form for Ari to go and give interviews about it.

Back
Top Bottom