The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Commoner

Isn't a big part of Wessex, like, Devonshire?

There's the earldom of Forfar as well, which is close to Glamis Castle I think.

Maybe after the 40 years of marriage Edward will get a Northern Irish barony to complete the trifecta.

oh what am I saying? By then he'll probably be the Duke of Edinburgh.

I hope if the Edinburgh title is reissued to him after Charles's accession, that the Scottish title remains Forfar.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:29 AM
Commoner

Question

I found this on a 2004 archived version (the royal.gov.uk)

Quote:
The Earl of Wessex is the third son and youngest child of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. He was born on 10 March 1964 and christened Edward Antony Richard Louis at Buckingham Palace.

Upon his marriage to Miss Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1999, he was created The Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn; at the same time it was announced that His Royal Highness will eventually succeed to the title of The Duke of Edinburgh.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex both carry out many engagements in support of The Queen, and on behalf of a number of organisations with which they are associated.

Their Royal Highnesses have a baby daughter, born on 8 November 2003.
The current version of his bio at Royal.uk does not mention him succeeding to the Edinburgh title.
https://www.royal.uk/the-earl-of-wessex

Old 04-03-2020, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iradavidovna View Post
I found this on a 2004 archived version (the royal.gov.uk)

The current version of his bio at Royal.uk does not mention him succeeding to the Edinburgh title.
https://www.royal.uk/the-earl-of-wessex

That was wise by royal.uk because "succeeding" is impossible.
As long as Prince Charles is not King, Prince Edward is a looooong way down of "the Heirs of the body male":
1. The Prince Charles
2. Prince William
3. Prince George
4. Prince Louis
5. Prince Harry
6. Archie Mountbatten-Windsor
7. The Prince Andrew
8. The Prince Edward
9. James, Viscount Severn

Is Prince Charles King, then all of his father's titles merge with the Crown.
Then these are free for new creations. But that is not Edward "succeeding" to a title.
That is Edward becoming the 1st holder of a new creation of the Dukedom of Edinburgh.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That was wise by royal.uk because "succeeding" is impossible.
As long as Prince Charles is not King, Prince Edward is a looooong way down of "the Heirs of the body male":
1. The Prince Charles
2. Prince William
3. Prince George
4. Prince Louis
5. Prince Harry
6. Archie Mountbatten-Windsor
7. The Prince Andrew
8. The Prince Edward
9. James, Viscount Severn

Is Prince Charles King, then all of his father's titles merge with the Crown.
Then these are free for new creations. But that is not Edward "succeeding" to a title.
That is Edward becoming the 1st holder of a new creation of the Dukedom of Edinburgh.
Yes, indeed. I thought that was interesting, to see it mentioned on the official website, even a defunct version. I never saw the suggestion on anything else but speculative press reports. So I just thought, huh. Neat.

I'm sure even the writers of the royal website have had their slovenly Monday moods.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iradavidovna View Post
Yes, indeed. I thought that was interesting, to see it mentioned on the official website, even a defunct version. I never saw the suggestion on anything else but speculative press reports. So I just thought, huh. Neat.

I'm sure even the writers of the royal website have had their slovenly Monday moods.
It was officially announced that he will be created Duke of Edinburgh; so, not 'speculative press reports' but the queen herself have BP issue such a statement that among other the BBC reported about

I believe the actual statement has recently been posted on TRF.
Edit: Found it. Tatiana Maria posted it a few weeks ago.

A quick search resulted at least in this BBC article (linked by Iluvbertie):
Quote:
Prince Edward has been made Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn in honour of his marriage to Sophie Rhys-Jones.

Sophie will now be styled Her Royal Highness, the Countess of Wessex, shortened to simply Sophie Wessex.

It has also been agreed that Edward will also become Duke of Edinburgh after the death of his mother, the Queen, and his father, Prince Philip, who currently holds the dukedom.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes but the problem was the phrase that Edward will succeed which is most unlikely.

The Prince of Wales will succeed to the titles Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich when his father's worldly presence ends during the Queen's Reign.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes but the problem was the phrase that Edward will succeed which is most unlikely.

The Prince of Wales will succeed to the titles Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich when his father's worldly presence ends during the Queen's Reign.
No, Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh upon his father's death.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
No, Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh upon his father's death.
Not true. The LP of Philip's peerages has a remainder which designates the heirs of the body male, lawfully begotten. When the Duke passes away right now, his eldest son is the heir.

When the Duke passes away while his eldest son is King, his peerages will merge with the Crown. Then Charles can create a new Dukedom of Edinburgh with Edward as 1st Duke of the new (4th) creation. James will then once become the 2nd Duke of this 4th creation.

Never will Edward "succeed" to the current 3rd creation, he is so junior (8th!) in the list of heirs to Philip's peerages.

1st creation 1726
The Prince Frederick, 1st Duke of Edinburgh (later Prince of Wales)
The Prince George, 2nd Duke of Edinburgh (later King George III)

2nd creation 1866
The Prince Alfred, 1st Duke of Edinburgh

3rd creation 1947
The Prince Philip, 1st Duke of Edinburgh