The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Assuming Edward gets the Edinburgh title(s) James might likely be Earl Merioneth and not Viscount Severn. The HRH Prince/ss thing won't make a difference there.
That assumes that Edward also receives the Earl of Merioneth title in addition to the Duke of Edinburgh title. While the titles are currently held by the same person (third creation) that is not a requirement. For example, in the second creation the subsidiary titles were: Earl of Kent and Earl of Ulster. Currently, Kent is a dukedom while the Earl of Ulster is a subsidiary title to the Duke of Gloucester. The subsidiary titles for the first creation were Baron of Snowdon, Viscount of Launceston, Earl of Eltham, and Marquess of the Isle of Ely; and as we all know Snowdon was later 'upgraded' to an earldom for princess Margaret's husband.

Given that Edward already has two earldoms and a viscountcy I don't see the need to give him not only a ducal title but also a third earldom and a barony. So, I expect that James will be known as Earl of Wessex if he doesn't start using the title HRH Prince James of Edinburgh.

Maybe Charles or William decides to award Louis either the Earl of Merioneth or Baron Greenwich title as a subsidiary title (if/when he receives his dukedom); in that way different lines of the family can keep the various titles of the Duke of Edinburgh alive.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Look personally I feel that King Charles will be removing the HRH from anyone except Prince William and his children. So it will be a race - will HRH Lady Louise turn 18 before or after the emergence of King Charles.
If Charles really wants remove HRH from anyone except for Prince William and his children, than I think he should the Letters Patent, like what George V did.
Alastair Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn was an example, where he lost the title of a British prince and the style of Highness.
9 August 1914 – 20 November 1917: His Highness Prince Alastair of Connaught
20 November 1917 – 16 January 1942: Earl of Macduff
16 January 1942 – 26 April 1943: His Grace The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alasta...and_Strathearn

Charles' Letter Patent could restrict the title of Prince/Princess and style of HRH to (When Charles is the King)
  • Children of the (present or past) Monarch [William, Harry, Anne, Andrew and Edward]
  • Children of the eldest child (direct heir) of the Monarch [George, Charlotte and Louis]
  • Children of the eldest child of the eldest child of the Monarch [Children of George]

By this convention, Archie will not be a Prince, even when Charles does become king, as he is not the child of the eldest child of the monarch. That means the following Royal Family members will loose their Prince/Princess title and HRH style
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Lady Louise Windsor, James, Viscount Severn (no longer legally style as Prince/Princess X of Wessex), Prince Richard, [The Duke of Gloucester], Prince Edward [The Duke of Kent], Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy and Prince Michael of Kent
Personally, I really don't want this to happen.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:04 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=AC21091968;2344933]

Charles' Letter Patent could restrict the title of Prince/Princess and style of HRH to (When Charles is the King)
  • Children of the (present or past) Monarch [William, Harry, Anne, Andrew and Edward]
  • Children of the eldest child (direct heir) of the Monarch [George, Charlotte and Louis]
  • Children of the eldest child of the eldest child of the Monarch [Children of George]

I personally believe that the patent has already been written up and waiting.

However I believe that only the monarch and his spouse, Prince William and his spouse and children will be getting it.
Possibility that the Princess Royal will be as well.

But not anyone from the Duke of Sussex done.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:03 AM
Nobility

[QUOTE=Claire;2344935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post

I personally believe that the patent has already been written up and waiting.

However I believe that only the monarch and his spouse, Prince William and his spouse and children will be getting it.
Possibility that the Princess Royal will be as well.

But not anyone from the Duke of Sussex done.
Fair enough. I guess Lady Louise is more looking forward to become a godmother (particularly of, future children of Princess Beatrice and 2nd child of Princess Eugenie) than choosing to use HRH style and Princess title when she turns 18 next year.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think that if Charles issues letters patent as suggested, it would only affect those children that are born after the date of the letters patent. Those that already hold titles and styles according to previous letters patents would not be stripped of them. Eventually, those that do hold the HRH and prince/princess would eventually be weeded out.

It'll be interesting to watch and see what Charles does when the time comes.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that if Charles issues letters patent as suggested, it would only affect those children that are born after the date of the letters patent. Those that already hold titles and styles according to previous letters patents would not be stripped of them. Eventually, those that do hold the HRH and prince/princess would eventually be weeded out.

It'll be interesting to watch and see what Charles does when the time comes.
I agree. I can't see Charles stripping his mother's cousins - who have given decades-long service to the crown - of their birthrights. The Duke of Kent will be 85, Princess Alexandra 84, and the Duke of Gloucester is 76. Removing their HRH Prince/Princess would be petty and cruel and Charles is neither.

Tags
lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, styles and titles, viscount severn