Titles of the Edinburgh Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a connection with Philip, and one of the highest ranks in the land, and its holder is a wealthy man and a member of the RF.

I think Mirabel was asking about the impact of increasing the number of British dukedoms, not the dukedom of Edinburgh specifically.

Im sorry but I think its obvious that like virtually ALL European monarchies, the British RF is cutting back on grandeur, titles [...] It is the same in all European royal houses, in some, they are taking away titles from members of the family who have had them all their lives [...]

However, British dukedoms are not royal titles (most British dukes are not royal), and I am not sure it has ever been King Charles III's intention to cut down on non-royal nobility titles. The only other recent European monarch who has done so is Juan Carlos I of Spain, I believe.

[...] if James wants to work as a royal, he can do the same. if he does not, odds are he would rather be an earl than a duke.

I don't think we have any knowledge of whether the King has offered James a choice in becoming a working royal or the remainder to his father's peerages, or James's preferences on either issue.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, according to rumor, were never given the choice to become working royals. If true, I would say the odds are that the option is not open to James, either.

I do not get the hullabaloo about the Edinburgh Dukedom being non-hereditary. Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster will be the next Duke of Gloucester. George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews will be the next Duke of Kent. I fail to see why James Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Wessex can not be the next Duke of Edinburgh.

What is the "gain" for him not inheriting a ducal title while there are no less than 30 dukes walking around? From all these ducal peerages, only the Edinburgh one is not hereditary. I honestly fail to see any advantage, gain or "modernity" to that.

Later we will see a Duke's son surrounded by Northumberland, Montrose, Beaufort, Norfolk, Marlborough, effortlessly inherited their titles and oh yes... no, James, no... "we are modernized, you can not inherit your father's dukedom. And yes, your cousin Archie will be a Duke. You will not become a Duke. We are Modern now, you see?"

And what to think about the discrimination of a Sovereign's grandson, Archie, being a heir to a ducal peerage and another Sovereign's grandson, James, is not?

Yes, but no money or property accompanies the title.
So, why would a ducal title have more of an impact?
It's really just a name, right?

I've replied to these posts in the following thread as they relate to royal peerages in general:
Royal Dukes, Royal Duchies and Royal Ducal Titles

Back
Top Bottom