Sophie's Relationships with the Queen and Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Heir Presumptive
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading an article about William and harry's girlfriends and the fact that they haven't been seen at church and other family functions.
The writer brings up that Sophie had unpredecented access to the royal family from the first months of her relationship with Edward, appearing regularly at church and at family events.

I remember Sophie appearing with the royal family at Brittania in 1995 and the headline read "The Royal family" at the bottom. She was also at the decommissioning of Brittania later in 1997. Why?

I remember Sophie appearing with the royal family at Brittania in 1995 and the headline read "The Royal family" at the bottom. She was also at the decommissioning of Brittania later in 1997. Why?

Probably because they wanted her to be there.

Well yes, but the press didn't seem to ask why a member of the public was sitting in the front row of the decommissioning.
Her presence at state occasions and family functions was so routine by 1994 that the press simply stopped reporting it. Was that the plan?
I'm thinking that the only reason Diana and Sarah weren't at church and such was they had a relative short courting period.

I was reading an article about William and harry's girlfriends and the fact that they haven't been seen at church and other family functions.
The writer brings up that Sophie had unpredecented access to the royal family from the first months of her relationship with Edward, appearing regularly at church and at family events.

She attended the Wedding of Lady Srah armstrong-Jones in 1994 and the Thanksgiving service for the Golden wedding of the Queen.

Does anyone think that Edward's position in the line of succession played a part in allowing him more space than his brothers in the 1980s? I think that, like a modern day Peter Phillips, he was allowed more space to pursue his relationship as he is unlikely ever to become King. For example, Autumn accompanied Peter on the Queen's a couple of years ago.

On the subject of his brothers, does anyone think that their failed relationships in the early 1990s allowed Edward more freedom to pursue his relationship? I mean, perhaps the Royals relaxed their attitudes more and concentrated on what it took to make a relationship work?

Also, Edward has never attracted the same kind of attention as his siblings, or been in a public-orientated role (or certainly wasn't during his courtship with Sophie) so perhaps, again drawing a similarity to a modern day Peter Phillips, he was given more privacy because of this, as people didn't 'know' him?

She actually attended the Queen's Golden wedding anniversary without Edward. He was down in Australia and New Zealand. I remember she came with Lord Snowdon. She also attend church on that Sunday with the royals, without Edward.

Didn't Sophie live with Edward at Buckingham Palace for some time? It could have been for a few years though I'm not sure. I'm not surprised that someone of relatively mature years who is in a long-term live-in relationship with a member of the family is likely to be treated more like a member of the family, especially if the family - particularly the Queen - likes her. And also if the press doesn't seem particularly interested in her.

I read, some years ago, that Sophie had a good relationship with the Queen and the rest of the british royal family prior to the engagement. The only member of this family who seemed to have some kind of jealousy or irritation toward Sophie was Diana. The article said Diana used to interrupt her while she was talking to start a conversation about a completely different subject.

Thats very Rude,why would Diana do that?

Thats very Rude,why would Diana do that?

Yes, it is. Diana was also jealous of Sarah when she arrived to the royal family. Remembr Diana was an insecure woman and any freshman lady could represent a "danger" to her.

She actually attended the Queen's Golden wedding anniversary without Edward. He was down in Australia and New Zealand. I remember she came with Lord Snowdon. She also attend church on that Sunday with the royals, without Edward.

Edward was certainly at the Golden Wedding. He was the host af an special Show at the Royal Festival House the evening before, which he had organized himself.

I don't know with whom she came in church. On german TV the moderators said she came in with the Royal Family but it was acutally Zara and not Sophie, but difficult to recognize because of the hat.

To give further insight into the close relationship between HM and the Countess of Wessex, here is a link to a Daily Mail story about Christmas without Sophie:
(kindly posted by Florencia elsewhere)

:previous:
Thanks Claire.
A couple of quotes from the Daily Express article...

SOPHIE'S BIG BOND WITH HM

Now the reason for this closeness can be disclosed: the two have bonded over their shared love of military history. Such is Sophie’s interest, part­icularly in 20th-century history, that she has just returned from a private break in Normandy where she spent three days visiting the battlefields of both World Wars.

Sophie’s chum adds that it is this mutual passion for the past that has drawn the Queen, who has an encyclopaedic knowledge of historical events, to her daughter-in-law. “Apart from Prince Charles none of the other members of the Royal Family seem overly interested in history, so the Queen just loves spending time with Sophie. They swap books all the time and they quite often disappear for hours looking at things in the royal archives at Windsor.”

oh well, that explains everything!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, IMO there is much to be said about the Queen's close relationship with Sophie. Having once referred to Princess Michael of Kent as being "much grander than we are", I don't think HM would get on particularly well with an elitist upstart daughter-in-law.

Sophie and Edward live quieter lives and are probably happy to do so. They attend European royal weddings and official functions. Probably because Andrew is single and does not have anyone that he could attend with - so Edward and Sophie go abroad to represent the family.

It wouldn't suprise me if the Queen gets along better with Sophie than either of her former daughters in law, simply becuase they have simliar temperments. Both are calm, more easygoing types than Diana and Sarah who were/are more moody, go gettery people.

Last edited:
Here's a little tidbit about Sophie's relationship with Her Majesty. Didn't know that Friday is the day Countess of Wessex dedicates to seeing her mother-in-law (and it gives Louise and James to have a relationship with their grandmother).

Queen enjoys Sophie's visits - Celebrity News - Virgin Media

Warren, thanks for the quotes from the article posted earlier in the thread. I had no clue Her Majesty loves history. Something she has in common with a few of us then :D.

Here's a little tidbit about Sophie's relationship with Her Majesty. Didn't know that Friday is the day Countess of Wessex dedicates to seeing her mother-in-law (and it gives Louise and James to have a relationship with their grandmother).

Queen enjoys Sophie's visits - Celebrity News - Virgin Media

Warren, thanks for the quotes from the article posted earlier in the thread. I had no clue Her Majesty loves history. Something she has in common with a few of us then :D.

Thanks Daria . Great article :flowers: I'm so happy that Queen and Countess of Wessex have a great relationship :rose::heartflower:

Thanks Daria . Great article :flowers: I'm so happy that Queen and Countess of Wessex have a great relationship :rose::heartflower:

You're very welcome. I'm glad that they're getting along as well.

After reading the article, I got a mental picture of James' tricycle just standing outside, by whichever door they use to enter and exit at Windsor Castle, and a living room at Bagshot Park, cluttered with kid-related stuff :D.

You're very welcome. I'm glad that they're getting along as well.

After reading the article, I got a mental picture of James' tricycle just standing outside, by whichever door they use to enter and exit at Windsor Castle, and a living room at Bagshot Park, cluttered with kid-related stuff :D.

I didn't know Sophie visited the Queen that regularly. That is so lovely, especially for Louise and James. Daria, I also had a mental image of the courtiers stepping over James' tricycle and rolling their eyes. The idea of the house covered in their toys is adorable, especially as it makes them sound so normal. I imagine Louise and James run that house, as Edward said when Louise was born that "his life is now run by not one, but two women", referring to Sophie and Louise. The way it should be, hah!

Thanks for the article link, Daria.

I didn't know Sophie visited the Queen that regularly. That is so lovely, especially for Louise and James. Daria, I also had a mental image of the courtiers stepping over James' tricycle and rolling their eyes. The idea of the house covered in their toys is adorable, especially as it makes them sound so normal. I imagine Louise and James run that house, as Edward said when Louise was born that "his life is now run by not one, but two women", referring to Sophie and Louise. The way it should be, hah!

Thanks for the article link, Daria.

You're very welcome. I imagine that Louise is one of those children who know how to get their way, but is very subtle about it. I know that if I were her nanny/teacher, I'd have a hard time saying 'no' to her. She has a sparkling personality, and I won't be able to resist her smile (I'm sure her parents and grandparents feel that way too). It'd be nice to be a fly on the wall during those visits and observe the dynamic. Glad you liked the article.

And how is the relationship between Sophie and Camilla? they are friends? I never read anything about it ...

And how is the relationship between Sophie and Camilla? they are friends? I never read anything about it ...

Yes, most likely they are very friendly with each other.

We have no idea as we rarely ever see them together. There are regular reports that Charles doesn't get along that well with Edward so it is perfectly possible that Camilla and Sophie rarely see each other either.

When we do see the family together e.g. Trooping the Colour or Christmas they don't seem to walk together.

I wouldn't like to say that they are friendly or that they are not as we simply don't have any evidence one way or the other really. An occasional glimpse of them together at a function is hardly enough time to judge whether they get along or not. They rarely attend the same functions unless it is the majority or the family turning out.

Every time we see Camilla and Sophie they are laughing.

It is safe to assume they are cordial and friendly towards each other but that does not mean they are friends.

Camilla and Sophie are at different stages in their lives.

Sophie's son is the same age as Camilla's granddaughters.
Lola was born October 9, 2007
James was born December 17, 2007
Eliza was born January 16, 2008

There is probably very little interaction between Camilla and Sophie outside of a few yearly BRF events, unless they spend the summers together bonding but there is no evidence of this. Sophie's main residence is in Windsor, Camilla's is in Wiltshire/Gloucester.

Camilla has her biological family and her friends.
Sophie's friends are not part of Camilla's social/age group.

The British royals are close, but we don't get to see the family relationships as we do with other royal families. They're lives are so busy and very distant. A lot of they family time is during family gatherings-Christmas and Trooping of the Colour.

Back
Top Bottom