Possible names for the new Lord or Lady Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like a lot of the names on your list of predictions, though I don't think Edward and Sophie are likely to go for names that are too old-fashioned or outside the mainstream. Probably no Thomas because it hasn't been used recently and isn't very royal. I don't see Robert or Geoffrey as first name possibilities either for the same reasons. John is considered "jinxed" and probably wouldn't be used. Leopold is one they'd probably judge as too out there and old-fashioned. Patrick is a distinct possibility, as is Albert, Edmund or Alastair. They've all been used for the current generation of nobles closely related to the royal family and are fairly fashionable sounding. Albert would have been my top choice of name prior to Lord Nicholas Windsor's son. It looks like Nicholas and his wife stole all the names I would have expected for Edward's son, actually! Lord Nicholas and wife Paola's son's full name is Albert Louis Philip Edward Windsor. I wonder if they ran any of those names by the Queen and Prince Philip or by Edward and Sophie beforehand or if, perhaps, Edward and Sophie know they're having a girl and gave Nicholas the OK to use "their" names? I also wonder if Antony has a chance of being in there somewhere because it's one of Edward's own names. Duncan, too, since it was used as a middle name for past royal princes. My personal bet is still on George, with Philip, Christopher and Edward as the middle names.

Your girls' names are all more interesting than the name I think Sophie and Edward will end up picking for a girl. Mary is the only one I might be willing to bet on, mainly because Sophie's mother Mary recently died. I really like Georgiana and Augusta. Cecilia is interesting and is a recent royal name. It was also the name of one of Prince Philip's sisters, the sister who died in a tragic plane crash with her husband and children. If they wanted to honor Philip and use a name they didn't use for Louise, that might be an unexpected way to do it. It would be nice if they would go back to those really antique sounding names, though, wouldn't it? I tend to think we'll end up with a name that's been used before and probably in the last three or four generations.

Last edited:
I think if we get Viscount Severn--Philip is a good chance for the first name.
Philip Edward Christopher William (named for grandfathers, father and cousin)

A girl---I would opt for Victoria or Mary. We haven't had a Victoria in the RF in sometime and Mary--well the countess' mother? I really think they would "save" Elizabeth for William.
And in thinking of secondary names for the new Lady Windsor-Mountbatten, it's tough because I think Lady Louise has all family names covered. So I will hazard a guess here---
Victoria Anne Elizabeth Mary?
Mary Victoria Margaret Elizabeth?

I tell ya--girls names are tough this go-around. I cannot wait to find out!!!

I have a feeling that if it is a girl it will be Mary, in honor of her mother. Maybe Philip for a boy. Elizabeth should be for William's daughter.

Time put in my cents.
Boy: I'm thinking Arthur, Philip or maybe Christian, Theodore or Rhys
Girl: Maybe Mary, Lucy, Madelaine, Emily or Emma

I think yeah Elizabeth sould be saved for Williams daughter.

For a girl: Eleanor Mary Sophie Mountbatten-Windsor
For a boy: Phillip Edward William Mountbatten-Windsor

Also; for godparents i think

Prince William of Wales
Princess Beatrice or Eugenie of York
Prince Joachim of Denmark (as edwards is godfather to Nikolai)
Princess Mary of Denmark

In the next few weeks this thread will be closed, as the name of the little Lord or Lady will be revealed...;)

My guesses remain the same...Philip or Helena.

Regarding godparents, I think they'll choose low-key people that they're genuinely close to. I can imagine them choosing close friends, or members of the BRF (perhaps Princess Eugenie or Lady Helen Taylor?), and if they decide to choose a foreign royal I think it'll be Mette-Marit.

Last edited:
The baby will be named in Feb

Look back to when Louise was named. Actually that is a over speculation - January.

I am always eager to find out the latest royal baby names...I love the history that comes with them. In my own reading I have learned that there are some traditions - like not using names already in use by another royal - that could impact on the Wessexs' decision. Some names are supposedly "jinxed" as well (Stephen and John in particular). I don't know how modern royals will feel about that, however. So, keeping everything in mind, I have come up with some predictions of my own, though admittedly I have not put any money on them.

Top 10 Boys Names for the newest British Royal
1. Thomas
2. John
3. Edmund
4. Edgar
5. Robert
6. Albert
7. Leopold
8. Alastair
9. Geoffrey
10. Patrick

Top 10 Girls Names for the newest British Royal
1. Mary
2. Caroline
3. Eleanor
4. Augusta
5. Adelaide
6. Cecilia
7. Constance
8. Joanna
9. Georgiana
10. Marjorie

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about my predictions. They are all historic British Royal names, although some have not been used for centuries. I know Louise is a good Victorian name, and those have been quite trendy with this generation (Beatrice & Eugenie), but I think some Georgian and medieval names might start making a comeback.
I think you are right to predict names that have not been in use for a while but have royal tradtions and origins.For a boy I like Robert or Patrick athough I jam sure Philip would be in there some where just not as a first name.
I don't see Mary being used because they have already used in Louise's name.Caroline,Augusta,Eleanore or eorgina are strong contenders I also think Victoria and Helena are good choices for a first name.Anne and Philippa are good choices for other names given Prince Edward's closness to his father and sister.

The baby will be named in Feb

I think they'll release a name sooner this time.

I think the delay in releasing Louise's name was the difficult birth, and Sophie's illness following the birth. Perhaps with Louise being born premature they hadn't decided on a name...or perhaps they had more important things, or rather worries, on their minds.:ermm:

I think they'll release a name sooner this time.

I think the delay in releasing Louise's name was the difficult birth, and Sophie's illness following the birth. Perhaps with Louise being born premature they hadn't decided on a name...or perhaps they had more important things, or rather worries, on their minds.:ermm:

I think so,too. If all goes well,the name will be released sooner than last time.

The baby better not upstage his Granny on TV. Christmas Day is her 5 minutes.

Hope the baby comes before Christmas, but not early, so Sophie can enjoy the holidays with her new baby!!!!:flowers:

Why not during Christmas? Christmas gift:stocking:

I like Augusta Sophia Alice Mountbatten-Windsor (Wessex) & James Phillip Harold Mountbatten-Windsor (Wessex).

The Honourable Philip, Christopher, George Windsor

The Honourable Lady Sophia, Mary, Elisabeth Windsor

Margaret Anne Elizabeth Alexandra

Alexander Philip Edward Albert

I'm starting to really favor James for a boy as well.
For a girl I really see Victoria or maybe Alexandra as a first name.I think they will go fairly tradtional.I also think they will select a name that goes well with Louise and James,Victoria and to a slightly lesser extent Alexandra fit well with Louise.

Lady Elizabeth Alexandra Sophie Mary

Lord James Philip Edward Michael

Look back to when Louise was named. Actually that is a over speculation - January.

If you look, Louise was named 4 days after she was relased from hospital in November of 03.
It's possible the new son or daughter will be named at new years??

What about Noel or Holly, keep the Christmas theme alive. Then again Mary will also fit into that. :)

What about Noel or Holly, keep the Christmas theme alive. Then again Mary will also fit into that. :)

Both the late Princess Alice of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra of Kent were born on Christmas Day.

Princess Alice was christened Lady Alice Christabel Montagu-Douglas-Scott.

Princess Alexandra's full name is Alexandra Helen Elizabeth Olga Christabel. The name Christabel was added to commemorate the fact that she was born on Christmas Day.

So, my guesses are:

Alice Christabel Anne Victoria
Christopher Edward Philip James

For a boy, James Edward Philip Christopher, Viscount...Severn, I think. For a girl, Lady Helen Victoria Anne Natalia (Mountbatten-)Windsor. I like the Natalia (or Natalie, Nathalie, Nathalia, Natasha) because it means "born on Christmas" and it would be a perfect middle name for a baby girl.

Is "Noel" too common for a royal baby??? That would be extremely appropriate for a Christmas baby...

If the baby is born on Boxing Day (Dec 26), or St. Stephen's day, how about Stephen, after the proto-martyr?

As I said I have a strong feeling that this baby will be born on Monday December 31st
For a girl: Elizabeth Sylvestra
For a boy: Philip Sylvester

For a girl: Alexandra, Helen(a) or Victoria
For a boy: Philip or Alexander

btw, shouldn't the title of this thread be "Possible names for the new Viscount or Lady Wessex?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom