Possible names for the new Lord or Lady Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck

Aristocracy
City
Southampton
Country
United Kingdom
I know it is ridiculously early to be discussing baby names but seeing as we now know the Princess of Denmarks name, it will be nice to get guessing on another name :)

I think if the baby is a girl, it will be Mary (after her late mother) or Helena (a version of Sophie's middle name).

If it is a boy, I think they will name the baby Philip (after the DOE) or George.

I like Helena.

I hope for a traditional name, but maybe not Elizabeth or Mary since those have been used so often.

I know it is ridiculously early to be discussing baby names but seeing as we now know the Princess of Denmarks name, it will be nice to get guessing on another name :)

I think if the baby is a girl, it will be Mary (after her late mother) or Helena (a version of Sophie's middle name).

If it is a boy, I think they will name the baby Philip (after the DOE) or George.

I posted on the other thread that I bet they would name the baby Mary if its a girl, because Sophie's late mother was Mary. So i agree with you :)

Girl:
* Elizabeth

* Mary
* Victoria
* Margaret
* Alice
* Helen
* Gabrielle
* Sarah
* Charlotte

Boy:
* Edward
* George
* Henry
* Alexander
* Michael

My guesses are Philip for a boy, and Helena for a girl.

I guess Philip because they seem really close to Prince Philip and it would be a nice tribute to him as none of his other grandsons are named after him.:)

I guess Helena as Sophie's middle name is Helen, plus one of Princess Eugenie's middle names is Helena.:wub:I was surprised by their choice of Louise last time so I do't think they'll choose Elizabeth, Mary or Victoria as a Christian name. There again, would they choose one as a middle name since they gave Louise the names Alice Elizabeth Mary? I don't think they were expecting to have another child, or daughter, when they had Louise as they gave her most female family names.

I have a feeling that it's another girl.

Alice, Mary, Victoria would be very cute.

For a boy I'm clueless. I like Henry or Alexander.

For a boy, Christopher or Philip.

For a girl, Mary (although that's already one of Louise's names...).

For a girl:Alexandra
For a boy:....mmm I have to think...

For a boy, my guess is Philip Edward Christopher.

For a girl, my guess is Charlotte, Victoria, or Eleanor. I think her middle name would have Sophie, Mary, and Elizabeth (in no particular order).

Lady Mary, Elizabeth, Alexandra, Victoria, Charlotte
or
Lord George, Victor, Alexander, Thomas, Albert

A son would be known by the courtesy title Viscount Severn, not as Lord *Name*.

Last edited:
"At the time of their wedding it was decided, with the couple's agreement, that any children they had should not be given the style His or Her Royal Highness, but would have courtesy titles as sons or daughters of an earl."
The Royal Family > HRH The Earl of Wessex > Marriage and family

Lord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Courtesy title - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, thanks, those links show where the Viscount Severn title would come from for a son.

from the last link:
"Courtesy peers
If a peer of one of the top three ranks (a duke, marquess or earl) has more than one title, his eldest son, not himself an actual peer, may use one of his father's lesser titles 'by courtesy' "

and from the first link: "that any children they had should not be given the style His or Her Royal Highness, but would have courtesy titles as sons or daughters of an earl."

For some reason, I don't think it will be ELizabeth. I do think that when William has a daughter there is a good chance of her name being Elizabeth.

Mary is a strong possibility. However, we are talking about the Earl and the Countess of Wessex, they may surprise us all!

I don't know that they would use Christopher as there was a close Hesse connection to Prince Phillip who had very strong Nazi links and flew for the Luftwaffe.

For a girl:

Phillipa Mary Alexandra
Christine Sophie Elizabeth

For a boy:

Philip Albert George
George Rhys Edward

Last edited:
Girl: Mary, Victoria, Chartlotte, Josephine

Boy: Henry, James, Alexander

I'd like to see them go with something different, but I don't think that will happen. I do think it needs to "flow" with Louise though. For a girl I could see them going with Laura, Charlotte or Catherine. For a boy I could see Philip, Michael, Alexander.

My best guesses. For a boy, George Edward Christopher Philip or Albert Edward Christopher Philip. For a girl, Victoria Helena Alexandra Sophie or, as an outside chance, Victoria Alexandra Helena Daisy.

I think a boy will have the names of his father and his two grandfathers as middle names. They'll go with a royal name as his first name and the two that seem most likely are the names of several of his great-grandfathers, George or Albert. For a girl, they'll also go with a royal name. I don't think they'll reuse any of Louise's names -- Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary. There's already a Lady Helen Windsor and a Princess Alexandra, so they might avoid those names as first names, at least. Victoria is the one name that really hasn't been reused in the past several generations. There was Queen Victoria, but Prince Philip's grandmother, who helped raise him, was also a Victoria. Unless someone in the family just loathes that name, they may end up using it. I remember reading a newspaper article when Louise was born about likely names and one of Sophie's friends was quoted as saying she had liked Daisy, but was afraid the name wasn't "royal" enough. Maybe Daisy is an outside chance as one of the middle names.

Last edited:
Nicholas Robert Heny David Edward Christopher Philip
Oscar Alexander David Christian Louis
Ronald Frederick Edward William David Patrick Andrew
Anne Ophelia Sophie Mary
Ronald Alexander James Michael
Ingrid Grace Elizabeth Mary
Stephen Charles Leopold Albert Joshua
actually wont he be a Prince by the 1917 act whereby Its passed to the Grandchild of a Monarch in the Male line?
Arthur Alexander Leopold Edward
Victoria Alice Mary Maud
Alexander Frederick William Christopher
Victor Edward William Philip Theodore
Victoria Sophie Alexandra Rose
Anna Mary Sophie Alexandra
Leopold Augustus William Henry Stephen
Donald Arthur Alastair William Philip
Reginald Albert Alexander Edward Nicholas
Anne Helena Alexandra Mary
Bernard Julius Gergory Nicholas
Andrew Patrick David Edward Henry.
when may we guess Godparents
Daisy? How about Desiree
Frederick Albert Nicholas Arthur
Wonderful idea and William and Henry to give them more to do and Give Henry a Royal Godson hes got 1 already right?? wonder where itll be Christened
Stephen Alastair Robert Francis or
Sophie-Mary Ingrid Rachel Theodora
George Edward Philip Andrew Patrick Michael
Abraham Richard William Andrew Patrick Philip
I Was thibnnking of the Biblical Abraham ok Michael Richard Andrew Patrick Philip
Albert Augustus Edward William Frederick
Alice Amelia Edwina Wilhelmina Frances
Henry Nicholas Albert Edward Alexander Philip
Augustus Patrick George David Henry William Andrew
Amelia Elizabeth Frederika Charlotte Jane Catherine
Madeleine Josephine Sophie Elizabeth Mary
Arthur Alexander Harold Henry William Leopold
Philip Daniel Alexander Robert Sean
Philip Leopold Albert Edward Christopher
David Arthur Nicholas Edward Philip
Philip Edward Victor Christian William David Frederick
Anna Sophie Davina Alexandra
Edward Philip Alexander Robert David
40 Alexandra Maud Mary Davina
Amelia Feodora Augusta Victoria Helen
So One of my final guesses for a boy Philip Edward David Stephen Patrick Louis
For a Girl Victoria Alberta Helen Natalia
Augustus Philip Edward Alexander George
Francis or Ophelie
Augusta Sophie Pauline Ophelia Ingrid Alexandra
Philip Edward Victor Stephen James George Robert
Philip Edward Charles Michael Anthony
George Philip Edward Victor Alexander Michael
50 Leopold Augustus Philip Edward Rupert Michael any guess on Godparents I Think Zara may have a shot
Augustus Philip Edward Mchael David
My sister Said itll be born on the 18th (if she had to guess...she really dont lol I Just asked her out of curiosity) Im almost sure itll be a boy at 8ibs at least
Joeseph Alexander Philip Edward Francis
Mary Edwina Sarah Grace Sophie Christina
Im not sure about names but itll be Healthy, soon, and a boy!
Edward Philip George Victor Christian David
Thats my name ! LOL Prince Stephen George Philip Edward David Godwin
Helena Sophie Elizabeth Mary
Alexander Fergus Ronald Philip Michael Edward Dunno why I Just see em having a son :)
Stephen George Philip Edward
Herbert Alastair Philip Edward Matthew
60 Gwendolyn Emma Sophie Nicol

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it will be a boy and that they will name him Philip. This way they will certainly get the Edinburgh title ;). For a girl: Philipa.

If it is a girl, i think they may call her alexandra...i dont know why that name came up but i think its not too old fashioned, but a little traditional (like louise is). Mary is a very srong option but doesnt louise already have that name? ..i think sophie or anne or helen are also possibilities for middle names. I have noticed though, a trend in the names of the queen's grand children- they have all either got elizabeth or victoria in their names- this is rather interesting. so i am expecting to see her (if it is a girl) having victoria as one of ther names.

In conclusion in predict she (if it is a girl)willl be called Alexandra Victoria Helena Anne

My guess would be Mary for a girl, after the Countess' mother. I can't think of a boy's name though.

I think Alexandra or Alice for a girl, Philip definitely for a boy. I don't think they will use Elizabeth or Mary again. Hopefully Sophie will get something sparkly out of the Queen Mum's jewel box as a new baby gift. Congratulations to the Wessex family, hopefully everything goes smoothly this time.:clap:

I think that Margaret, in honor of the Earl's aunt could be a strong contender. They've already chosen a very traditional, old fashioned name "Louise" so they won't go too crazy with a second child's name.
Margaret Helen Victoria has a lovely ring to it.
If it is a son, I am inclined to believe that Phillip will be a strong possibility as well. I do that Albert will be found in there somewhere because of the connection to the Queen's father (Albert the Duke of York, later King George VI) and I cannot help but think that maybe the John will be used. I know by many it is considered unlucky for the royal family to use that name, but with all the new information about "The Lost Prince" Prince John, Queen Mary's son, perhaps the Earl and Countess will be touched to consider that name.

John is considered an unlucky name in the British royal family. I can't see them using it. I also doubt that Philip or Elizabeth will be used as first names. The Queen and Prince Philip seem to have an aversion to having their grandchildren named after them. The announcement about Louise's names made it clear that the "Elizabeth" in the name was in honor of the Queen Mother and not the Queen.

I still would lay odds on Victoria as the name for a girl or George or Albert for a boy. Albert, or Bertie, is a popular name right now with ultra-fashionable wealthy people in high society. Sophie and Edward might like the name for itself. Alfred might also be an out there possibility. There's an Alfie on a popular soap opera and it's conveniently the name of one of Queen Victoria's sons.

I think the names will come from somewhere on this list:

Queen Victoria's children and their full names:
Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa
Albert Edward
Alice Maud Mary
Alfred Ernest Albert
Helena Augusta Victoria
Louise Caroline Alberta
Arthur William Patrick Albert
Leopold George Duncan Albert
Beatrice Mary Victoria Feodore

Philip's grandmother, daughter of Princess Alice:
Victoria Alberta Elisabeth Mathilde Marie
His mother:
Victoria Alice Elisabeth Julie Marie, called Alice, daughter of Victoria and Louis
His father:
Andrew, son of King George and Queen Olga of Greece

If they do more digging, just to find an obscure name that they like on the family tree:

Other male names:
Antony
Arthur
Augustus
Christian
David
Frederick
Richard

Other female names:
Amelia
Caroline
Charlotte
Eleanor

Names from the Bowes-Lyon family:
Marguerite (middle name of Queen Mother)
Angela (middle name of Queen Mother)
Nina
Cecilia

I think Edward and Sophie will go for another Royal but not too-used name, if they have a girl - something like Charlotte, Catherine, possibly Mary, Alexandra, Adelaide, Alice or Lucy.

If it's a boy, I think they will name him Philip. I'm almost sure of that, as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
Girl: Alice Philippa Charlotte

Boy: Patrick Phillip Arthur

How many names will he/she get?

Is there any rules or traditions about that?

No, no rules set in stone as such.
However, William, Harry and Louise have four; and Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie have three.
I think this new baby will have four like Louise. I wonder if little Louise knows her full name yet...;)

I doubt they will choose (as a Christian name):
Edward - I just can't imagine them choosing it for some reason?
Henry - Prince Harry, plus Sophie's nephew?
Alexander - the Earl of Ulster, plus his new son Xan?
Michael - Prince Michael of Kent?
Nicholas - Lord Nicholas Windsor?
Margaret - Margarita Armstrong-Jones?
Sarah - Lady Sarah Chatto?
Laura - Laura Parker-Bowles?
Catherine - Kate Middleton?
Daisy - Lady Daisy?:ohmy:

I just can't imagine them hiving him/her the same Christian name as a *living* member of the family.

After reading some other guesses, I'm liking Thomas and Alice too...although my guess is still Philip or Helena. I like Philip, but not Philippa (for some reason?:ermm:) I think it's the sentiment of Philip that I like rather than the actual name.

Just had another idea...Edward's middle names are Antony, Richard and Louis. I guess Louis is out (Louise and Louis:ermm:) but how about Antony or Richard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom