"It's a Royal Knockout" British Television Charity Event: June 15, 1987

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
I was recently reading a book about British royalty and it mentioned this television show called "It's a Royal Knockout" made by Prince Edward. It had the royals such as Princess Anne, Charles and Duchess of York dressed up in fancy constumes all yelling out things. Fergie shouts out "Give me a B...give me an L"

I also read that this episode was seen as an embarrassment by the majority of British people because the royals were really bad at being witty.

Then Prince Edward asked the press after the show what they thought of it and they all gave a nervous laugh and Edward stormed out of the conference sarcastically saying "Thanks for your enthusiasm".

I would just like to know what people thought of that episode (whoever saw it) and do you think it was right of the royals (Edward in particualr) to use his family connections like that?

It was bad bad bad...:lol:...boy was it bad...:ROFLMAO:

I wonder if they have it on YouTube? Perhaps give that a hit Australian, if you haven't already :flowers:

Last edited:
Basically it was a popular TV show that suddenly got this Royal slant. It usually involved Su Pollard running through custard avoiding people dressed as sumo wrestlers. Which Prince Edward was naturally drawn to so he organised it as part of his failed attempt to make a living in the television industry. The only one I actually felt sorry for was Princess Anne who tried her best but it obviously wasn't her thing. And then Edward did indeed throw a queeny strop after the show when the press didn't hand over an Oscar. As Madame Royal says - it was bad.

I would just like to know what people thought of that episode (whoever saw it) and do you think it was right of the royals (Edward in particualr) to use his family connections like that?
It was absolutely terrible. A total humiliation for everyone concerned, Edward should have been confined to the dungeons for persuading the others to participate. :bang::bang:

I can imagine the phone conversations;

Edward : Anne, please do the show
Anne : No
Edward : Oh please. I did lend you my foundation last week
Anne : Oh alright then

Edward : Andrew, please do the show, Anne's doing it
Andrew : Will there be helicopters?
Edward : No but I'll throw in crazy golf
Andrew : YES!

Edward : Sarah, please do the show
Fergie : No
Edward : There'll be custard
Fergie : Where do I sign?

Now, on the other side of the coin, Edward did get some quite big names to take part. It was hosted by Les Dawson who was hugely popular and quite the star at the time. Su Pollard co-hosted and she was at the height of her fame. Jane Seymour, Anthony Andrews, John Travolta, two of the Python team - all should have known better of course but it was a big deal back then.

I am old enough to remember the Royal /Celebrity version of Its a Knockout (1987). While some celebrities such as comedians are indeed suited, I thought that the members of the royal family looked very out of place. I remember being relieved to hear that the Queen did not take part!

If I remember the other royals wanted to take part particular The Duke and Duchess of York and the Princess of Wales. Diana later pulled out due to prior arrangements, but they were all keen no arm pulling on Edward's side.
Actually the Royal Knockout made more money that year that Comedy Relief so it was not a big waste, the press made it out to be a real failure which financially if wasn't. It just was too perculiar and out of place. It just didn't mix - but it still raised money.

On the charity side, yes it was a success. On the Royal side, it totally cheapened their image. I think it was a significant moment in the public losing respect for the RF to be honest.

I admit it!! I watched it and bought the book that came out after. I figured someone had to.;)
It was not total torture but..

Personally I feel that it was ahead of its time. These days we applaud our celbrities and royals who go on reality shows. But I don't think that we were ready to see the royals acting like that. I think the biggest problem they were so uncertain how to act themselves. They never got into it, only Sarah really tried and then it looked so overboard.

Be happy that you missed it. I was cringing...I couldn't even get thru 15 minutes of it! I knew that the public backlash was going to be severe, and I was correct!

Personally I feel that it was ahead of its time. These days we applaud our celbrities and royals who go on reality shows. But I don't think that we were ready to see the royals acting like that. I think the biggest problem they were so uncertain how to act themselves. They never got into it, only Sarah really tried and then it looked so overboard.

I don't think we ever will see royals (at least in the UK) on reality shows, at least not while the Queen is alive. I think she'll find her voice should anyone propose such a thing again.

Ahead of it's time, I don't think so. It was very popular with some, when 'ordinary' people were on it, but I hope we never see any UK royals on a reality show! :eek:

Then again, I don't applaud celebrities or ordinary folk who feel the need to appear on such programmes.:cool:

It was a huge mistake, but something so typical of Edward! :eek:

On the charity side, yes it was a success. On the Royal side, it totally cheapened their image. I think it was a significant moment in the public losing respect for the RF to be honest.

I just looked at the youtube-snippets and must say that I understand Beatrixfans opinion. The Royals have their privileges and social position today because their ancestors in the Middle ages actually fought for their crown - I don't want to know what they would have thought about today's Royals in their merry costumes play merry games...

I watched and I liked it but then I come for a country without royalty so maybe my take on how they appeared is different.It was for charity sonething good did come of it.

I never had the same respect for them either....I assume Queen Victoria and Queen Mary were spinning in their tombs...

I was never ever more shocked and appalled at viewing Royalty as when I saw "It's A Royal Knockout" in 1987.

What did it for me was viewing Princess Anne screaming....at humans...not horses. I still can't imagine Princess Anne speaking in nothing above dulcet, ladylike, tones.

...Fergie was in her element and Prince Andrew was just having too much fun and tomfoolery.

Prince Edward looked like a court jester in his costume. And then came his royal hissy fit. All this a little too soon in relation to his departure from the Royal Marines...

Yes, I can respect that it was all for fun and charity...but British Royalty should always be dignified. A lot what had been bought with generations upon generations of bloodshed and reverence for the Crown was squandered by John Travolta, Meatloaf and Margot Kidder...and Prince Edward.

If royalty should feel the need for pouncing about in costumes, they should leave that always to Princess Stephanie and her love for the circus ...

And then Edward did indeed throw a queeny strop after the show when the press didn't hand over an Oscar. As Madame Royal says - it was bad.

:lol:

As Andrew Morton, who was there in the press room with the rest of the bored and beyond irritated journalists, said about Edward when he became upset and thus walked out:

He acted like a ballerina with a hole in his tights!
:D:lol:

Yes, and Edward's never been able to forget about it, either. I don't think I'd like to be judged by what I did 20 years ago.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish YouTube had a video of the press conference with Prince Edward after the show. He was mightly upset.

Oh the shame of it, yes i saw it, classic car crash tv Fergie was into it sort of. At one point Edward is standing with a bemused expression on his face as if he isnt quite sure where he is and if hes allowed to be there. Why anyone ever thought that the british upperclass and their stiff upper lip would be able to let go and really relax which that particular show required (i admit i loved the show itself just not the royal one) Please leave the reality tv to others in the future!!!!

If I remember the other royals wanted to take part particular The Duke and Duchess of York and the Princess of Wales. Diana later pulled out due to prior arrangements, but they were all keen no arm pulling on Edward's side.
Actually the Royal Knockout made more money that year that Comedy Relief so it was not a big waste, the press made it out to be a real failure which financially if wasn't. It just was too perculiar and out of place. It just didn't mix - but it still raised money.

Actually it was the Pirnce of Wales who put his foot down and banned her from appearing-thank God!

Tee hee! I remember this show well but was disappointed none of the royals actually took part in the games - although they did wear costumes! The most embarrassing part of the whole thing was Edward's interview afterwards and he did indeed have a hissy fit when he basically hardly said a thing and asked the press what they thought of it and there was silence. He stalked off like a big child! Still, It's A Royal Knockout was one of his greater achievements and did well for charity! Maybe they should do an updated version with Zara, Peter, Autumn, Beatrix, Eugenie, Harry and William!

Oh...I think we are good! We would never hear the end of it with an updated version. I.E. A disgrace to the crown.

No thank you once was enough I am a charitable person most of the time but no amount of money can pay for a rerun/update.

I really enjoyed it as did quite a few people I know.

Diana could be quite high-spirited. Perhaps he felt that she might get too caught up in the spirit of the thing and embarrass herself. As the wife of the heir to the throne, she had to have more dignity than the Yorks and the others.

I wonder why he did that.

Back
Top Bottom