Future Edinburgh weddings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biri

Imperial Majesty
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
Now that Lady Louise has reached marriageable age, we may start to speculate how the future weddings of her and her brother will look like.

Their parents are devoted to their duties and seem to protect the private lives of their children, wanting for them to leave as "normal" fife as possible in their situation.

Do you think the glamour of their respective weddings may depend from who will be King at that moments - still their uncle Charles (more) or already their cousin William? (less) - I am 99% sure that Queen Elizabeth will be already at the other side with her beloved Philip and from there they will both look at their grandchildren's happiness:angel:?.

Will their wedding be fully televised (like that of Princess Eugenie) or there will be just a short glimpse of the young couple entering and leaving the church? (like for example Peter and Autumn)?

I personally doubt they will both hide the date and place of their weddings and the public will get to know after the fact :flowers:

And how will the public know about the official engagements? Will hear at TV during the news broadcast or just will read at special pages? (Peerage News).
The Court officially announced the engagements of all their cousins because they were grandchildren of the reigning monarch, titled or not - will it be the same with Louise and James?
Will there be interviews with the couples? Or maybe the TV recognizes that they are so far in succession, that the public will not be interested?

I doubt they will be obliged to marry at the St. George's Chaple in Windsor and may choose whatever church to marry (like Zara and Mike) but will they be obliged to marry in the UK?

Could Louise and her potential sister-in-law wear the same tiara at their respective weddings (for example the one Sophie wore) or future James' wife will be obliged to wear the more glamorous one as a future Countess of Wessex (and maybe Duchess of Edinburgh)?

I'm intersted in your opinions :flowers:

Last edited:
LOL - not what I was expecting. Well - lets look into the crystal ball
I am meeting up with an old friend later today. Today 18 year the two of us and some others were in a church praying for this child and Sophie. It seems like yesterday and also a million years ago at the same time.
I expect The Wessex to be moving into the role of Kents and Gloucester's soon. Their children will have the same normal lives those children and I expect more then.
They will not have royal weddings at all - not televised and I doubt that it will be announced either from the palace. They will then be the nephew and niece of the monarch - depends on Charles really. The announcement will come from Edward and Sophie's office.

Please note the next Windsor Wedding is probably going to be Peter's second - so you can start a thread on that.

Please note the next Windsor Wedding is probably going to be Peter's second - so you can start a thread on that.

Maybe yes, maybe not - Peter has just recently divorced Autumn, he still should have time to reconsider why this marriage collapsed in order not to commit the same errors in the future, and the woman and his daughters must accept each other (this woman also can have children), it also requires time.

First love, while we are still young and without obligations is always much more spontaneous:flowers:

Ah, and one more thing - Peter's eventual second wedding will be civil only (maybe even without the blessing - Peter will never be the Head of the C of E); these weddings will not arouse such emotions as the religious ones.

Last edited:
Now that Lady Louise has reached marriageable age, we may start to speculate how the future weddings of her and her brother will look like.

They parents are devoted to their duties and seem to protect the private lives of their children, wanting for them to leave as "normal" fife as possible in their situation.

Do you think the glamour of their respective weddings may depend from who will be King at that moments - still their uncle Charles (more) or already their cousin William? (less) - I am 99% sure that Queen Elizabeth will be already at the other side with her beloved Philip and from there they will both look at their grandchildren's happiness:angel:?.

Will their wedding be fully televised (like that of Princess Eugenie) or there will be just a short glimpse of the young couple entering and leaving the church? (like for example Peter and Autumn)?

I personally doubt they will both hide the date and place of their weddings and the public will get to know after the fact :flowers:

And how will the public know about the official engagements? Will hear at TV during the news broadcast or just will read at special pages? (Peerage News).
The Court officially announced the engagements of all their cousins because they were grandchildren of the reigning monarch, titled or not - will it be the same with Louise and James?
Will there be interviews with the couples? Or maybe the TV recognizes that they are so far in succession, that the public will not be interested?

I doubt they will be obliged to marry at the St. George's Chaple in Windsor and may choose whatever church to marry (like Zara and Mike) but will they be obliged to marry in the UK?

Could Louise and her potential sister-in-law wear the same tiara at their respective weddings (for example the one Sophie wore) or future James' wife will be obliged to wear the more glamorous one as a future Countess of Wessex (and maybe Duchess of Edinburgh)?

I'm intersted in your opinions :flowers:

I suspect the wedding may well be at St George's, or perhaps, a less high profle church (All Saints?). Expect no TV coverage. However, the invitee list could potentially be a Who's Who of British society.

I suspect the wedding may well be at St George's, or perhaps, a less high profle church (All Saints?). Expect no TV coverage. However, the invitee list could potentially be a Who's Who of British society.

But if William will already be King then, will he be obliged to attend?
He was not present at Peter's wedding because he preferred to be at friend's wedding, and was reportedly criticized for it - And Peter is, due to lesser age difference, closer to him than Louise, let alone James.
But in 2008 he was still not a King.

And if Louise marries a British peer, their wedding could take place at the church that family attends to.

But if William will already be King then, will he be obliged to attend?
He was not present at Peter's wedding because he preferred to be at friend's wedding, and was reportedly criticized for it - And Peter is, due to lesser age difference, closer to him than Louise, let alone James.
But in 2008 he was still not a King.

And if Louise marries a British peer, their wedding could take place at the church that family attends to.

I don't think it has anything to do with being King or not. For example HM attended the wedding of Lady Gabriella but not Lord and Lady Frederick's and has and hasn't other other members of the Kents and Gloucesters. Depending on where and when they were and if she was busy.

William was at Zara's and other family weddings, why he chose to skip Peter's and send Kate is his place isn't something we've had an answer on. Right now in a purely theoretical way I don't see why he wouldn't be at Lady Louise's (probably very future) wedding unless he has something he can't get out of.

Maybe yes, maybe not - Peter has just recently divorced Autumn, he still should have time to reconsider why this marriage collapsed in order not to commit the same errors in the future, and the woman and his daughters must accept each other (this woman also can have children), it also requires time.

First love, while we are still young and without obligations is always much more spontaneous:flowers:

Ah, and one more thing - Peter's eventual second wedding will be civil only (maybe even without the blessing - Peter will never be the Head of the C of E); these weddings will not arouse such emotions as the religious ones.

Why do you state that Peter's wedding will be a 'civil only' wedding? If he is legally divorced and no adultery was committed, as far as I know he can have a second religious marriage. He isn't Roman Catholic where an annulment would be required.

Why do you state that Peter's wedding will be a 'civil only' wedding? If he is legally divorced and no adultery was committed, as far as I know he can have a second religious marriage. He isn't Roman Catholic where an annulment would be required.

Not sure but i think now the anglican Church allows remarriages of divorced people. But the did not so earlier, therfore Princess Anne married in Scottland for the second time

I believe that we have only to look at the marriages of the Queen’s niece and nephew in this reign to be able to gauge what sort of wedding the Wessex children are likely to have if they both marry when Charles is King.

Their mother Princess Margaret was a working royal as both Edward and Sophie are likely to still be when their children wed, yet did Lady Sarah or David, the present Earl Snowden, have weddings with all the bells and whistles of St George’s and public and TV interest?

Were their weddings televised, with a huge amount of hoopla and interest from the public? The answer is No, so it’s likely to be the same for Lady Louise and her brother James. The Snowdon children had what were regarded as smart society weddings, members of the Press filed a short report, took some photographs, several Royals attended, and that was that.

Depending on personal taste, Louise and James’s bride may well wear family tiaras. Daughters of Dukes and Earls and future daughters in law often still do at aristocratic weddings.

As far as Peter Phillips is concerned, I don’t believe that he will have another Church wedding, though that isn’t forbidden of course. I think it will be quietly celebrated, especially if his bride is also a divorcee and we are all likely to know about any of it sometime later.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. Assuming that his second wife-to-be was also Protestant - and she may not be Protestant, or Christian at all, but obviously we don't know that yet! - he could remarry in a Scottish church, as Princess Anne did. And some Church of England vicars are happy to allow divorced people to remarry in church.

If Peter married someone who hadn't been married before, she might well want a big white wedding with all the trimmings.

I think it's a bit soon to start speculating about Louise :flowers:. I can't imagine that she'll want a big public wedding, but plenty of private individuals have big private weddings, so why not, if that's what she and her future partner want? As long as they're happy!

I think it's a bit soon to start speculating about Louise :flowers:. I can't imagine that she'll want a big public wedding, but plenty of private individuals have big private weddings, so why not, if that's what she and her future partner want? As long as they're happy!

Speculation about the York Princesses' weddings started when they were, respectively nineteen and a half (Beatrice) and eighteen (Eugenie).

Why would Peter's eventual second wedding be 'civil only'. His mother has a church wedding for her second wedding. The CoE has also changed its rules around second marriages of divorced person's since his mother remarried. As long as a second wife wasn't the reason for the breakdown of the first marriage - and they have both said there was no third person in the marriage - the CoE will happily remarry Peter in a church in England.

I can see Louise going more along the Beatrice route - small wedding in a small royal chapel, possibly even the same one that Beatrice used with close family and friends.

With James I can even see the announcement coming after the wedding has taken place.

I can see Louise going more along the Beatrice route - small wedding in a small royal chapel, possibly even the same one that Beatrice used with close family and friends.

With James I can even see the announcement coming after the wedding has taken place.

I don't see it; even the Kent grandchildren had their engagements announced before.

And after all; James' future wife will be titled Countess (as for Lady Louise, she may be Princess, Duchess, Countess, but also just "Lady Louise + surname of her husband)

My reason for that is James is clearly uncomfortable in the limelight so I can see him wanting to not announce anything not because the family don't want to but his personal preference.

I think when he grows up, he gains self-confidence.

Now it came to my mind that he and his sister will arouse interest no matter what as grandchildren of the longest-reigning British monarch.

Queen Elizabeth has already turned into a symbol of an epoch, even while still alive.

Last edited:
In terms of location, I'm thinking St. George's Chapel or Royal Chapel of All Saints are the most likely ones, because Louise and James spent a lot time (growing up) at Windsor. If the wedding takes part in London, Queen's Chapel and Chapel Royal at St. James' Palace could be possible. However, I do see the possibility of the weddings taking place outside the Crown Estate (Windsor Castle, Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, St. James), like Zara and Mike Tindall's or even in the Sovereign's private estates (Sandringham or Balmoral).

The biggest/grandest scale would be like Sarah & Daniel Chatto, Peter & Autumn and Zara & Mike's weddings with no live television coverage of the ceremony, but crowds and cameras outside. I left out Viscount Linley (now 2nd Earl of Snowdon), because his wedding took place St. Margaret's Church, Westminster with 650 guests and I don't see Louise and James going that big. Assuming Louise and James will not become working royals in the future, I think they would go down the Gloucesters, Kents or even Princess Beatrice's route, if they want their wedding occasions to be very private with little press/media presence.

There's a huge difference in size between St George's and All Saints despite the similar location. That's great if she (or anyone) wanted a tiny country wedding but wouldn't fit their potential combined family and friends.

I think you'd go "I want a small wedding, let's have it at All Saints" rather than "I want it at Windsor which one do you think?"

There's a huge difference in size between St George's and All Saints despite the similar location. That's great if she (or anyone) wanted a tiny country wedding but wouldn't fit their potential combined family and friends.

I think you'd go "I want a small wedding, let's have it at All Saints" rather than "I want it at Windsor which one do you think?"

Yes, I'm aware that there is a big difference between St George's and All Saints. I was also thinking about the cost of security and level of press/media presence, which will be less compared to locations that are not in the Crown Estate nor private properties of the sovereign. That was the reason (along with the location of wedding reception) why I considered the location (e.g. Windsor). The security would most likely to be paid privately, especially after the controversy surrounding Princess Eugenie's wedding. Of course you can argue that St. George's would require more protection compared to All Saints.

I was also trying to narrow the options down almost by process of elimination. I'm sure Louise and James would have the chapel/church in mind without going through wide range possibility.

Last edited:
Were Viscount Linley and/or Lady Sarah AJ given taxpayer-funded security for their weddings? I can’t really remember but I don’t believe they were.

(Of course the senior royals attending would have had their RPOs in attendance, but I’m referring to the sort of security detail Eugenie’s marriage received.) And they were the nephew and niece of the sovereign just as Louise and James will be if they both marry in Charles’s reign as is probably likely.

The only reason Eugenie's wedding needed security, as did Zara's, was due to the fact that they went out into the street. Eugenie's carriage ride was in the streets of Windsor while Zara was in down town Edinburgh. If the wedding is completely inside Windsor then security is minimal as there would be nothing for people to see so there wouldn't be that many people in the streets.

Viscount Linley’s wedding was at St Margaret’s Westminster, a very busy part of London, (Parliament Square) and one where some guests were walking up from their parked cars. Yet it didn’t appear that his wedding needed any publicly funded security, in spite of his being the Queen’s nephew. There just wasn’t that much interest from passers-by.

Not every future minor royal will want to be married in the environs of Windsor Castle, I suspect. I think Louise and James may well choose a different place to wed, and it will be absolutely fine. Because, again, as with Prss Margaret’s children, I just don’t believe that by then there will be that much interest from the public.

Last edited:
St Margaret's is in the precincts of Westminster Abbey and there's already security around that. Also the Met and RPOs are extremely used to its lay out if necessary, so I doubt there was a huge need for extra security beyond what already happens when HM goes anywhere.

I doubt every minor royal will want to be married at Windsor, although it will continue to be a personal choice for some. Unless we're talking Charlotte or Louis the choice won't have anything to do with interest from the public or not. I'd say there was arguably more potential interest in Mike and Zara's due to their sports celebrity couple status than many other minor royals who have married at Windsor (including her brother) and they chose Edinburgh.

The Linleys had a big glitzy wedding in Westminster with hundreds of guests, and some big-name celebs as well as Royals. The Chattos had a much smaller wedding, at a small church. It just depends what each particular couple want. Louise and James both seem like fairly quiet people and I can't see either of them hitting the social scene big time, but who knows what might happen in future, or what their eventual partners will be like?

Then there's the issue of what else is going on! As I recall, a load of photographers turned up at Lady Sarah's wedding to see if Charles and Diana would arrive together or not, and the press tried to hang around Pippa Middleton's wedding to see if Meghan was there. Not very fair on the happy couples themselves, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited:
This thread seems to assume that both siblings are obliged to get married, to people of the opposite sex, in a church. Nine of these should just be assumed. Also they are private citizens so I cannot see why any wedding would make the mainstream news.

This thread seems to assume that both siblings are obliged to get married, to people of the opposite sex, in a church. Nine of these should just be assumed.

I am not sure which posts you refer to as I have not seen any implications that these are obligatory.

Also they are private citizens so I cannot see why any wedding would make the mainstream news.

The weddings of their Phillips and York cousins, who are also not working royals, made the mainstream news.

Well of course Peter Phillips was paid a large sum by Hello magazine for access to his and Autumn’s wedding reception. It apparently dismayed the Queen but no doubt it helped pay the wedding bills. It’s to be hoped that neither of the Wessex children follow that path.

Well of course Peter Phillips was paid a large sum by Hello magazine for access to his and Autumn’s wedding reception. It apparently dismayed the Queen but no doubt it helped pay the wedding bills. It’s to be hoped that neither of the Wessex children follow that path.

Unless they want to give all the money to some charity:flowers:

I don’t know whether even that would be acceptable to the Royal Family if, for instance it was known that Uncle Charles had facilitated a royal peculiar like St George’s for them to marry in and perhaps made food and flora and some beverages available from the royal estates for the reception.

However, if Louise or James were acting as purely private citizens and wanted to host an after wedding party for friends afterwards, care of a magazine contribution then that might be OK. Whether any magazines would be interested in two siblings who may well have been immersed in private life and careers for ten years or more, is debatable though.

Last edited:
Also they are private citizens so I cannot see why any wedding would make the mainstream news.

People like weddings. Pippa Middleton's wedding was all over the news, and she's not even royal. When Andy Murray married Kim Sears, we got live coverage on Sky News of them arriving at the church. When David Beckham and Victoria Adams got married, we heard about nothing else all weekend!

Hello and OK magazine are full of pictures of weddings of minor royals, aristocrats and celebs - and those pics obviously sell well, or magazines wouldn't offer vast sums of money for exclusive deals. It was seen as a bit tacky when Peter and Autumn did a £500,000 deal with Hello! for their wedding photos, though - it's one of those things which is seen as being OK for celebs but not quite the thing for the monarch's close relatives, and I very much doubt that Louise or James would go down that route.

Back
Top Bottom