The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

The only reason Eugenie's wedding needed security, as did Zara's, was due to the fact that they went out into the street. Eugenie's carriage ride was in the streets of Windsor while Zara was in down town Edinburgh. If the wedding is completely inside Windsor then security is minimal as there would be nothing for people to see so there wouldn't be that many people in the streets.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Viscount Linley’s wedding was at St Margaret’s Westminster, a very busy part of London, (Parliament Square) and one where some guests were walking up from their parked cars. Yet it didn’t appear that his wedding needed any publicly funded security, in spite of his being the Queen’s nephew. There just wasn’t that much interest from passers-by.

Not every future minor royal will want to be married in the environs of Windsor Castle, I suspect. I think Louise and James may well choose a different place to wed, and it will be absolutely fine. Because, again, as with Prss Margaret’s children, I just don’t believe that by then there will be that much interest from the public.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

St Margaret's is in the precincts of Westminster Abbey and there's already security around that. Also the Met and RPOs are extremely used to its lay out if necessary, so I doubt there was a huge need for extra security beyond what already happens when HM goes anywhere.

I doubt every minor royal will want to be married at Windsor, although it will continue to be a personal choice for some. Unless we're talking Charlotte or Louis the choice won't have anything to do with interest from the public or not. I'd say there was arguably more potential interest in Mike and Zara's due to their sports celebrity couple status than many other minor royals who have married at Windsor (including her brother) and they chose Edinburgh.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness

The Linleys had a big glitzy wedding in Westminster with hundreds of guests, and some big-name celebs as well as Royals. The Chattos had a much smaller wedding, at a small church. It just depends what each particular couple want. Louise and James both seem like fairly quiet people and I can't see either of them hitting the social scene big time, but who knows what might happen in future, or what their eventual partners will be like?

Then there's the issue of what else is going on! As I recall, a load of photographers turned up at Lady Sarah's wedding to see if Charles and Diana would arrive together or not, and the press tried to hang around Pippa Middleton's wedding to see if Meghan was there. Not very fair on the happy couples themselves, but that's the way it goes.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Courtier

This thread seems to assume that both siblings are obliged to get married, to people of the opposite sex, in a church. Nine of these should just be assumed. Also they are private citizens so I cannot see why any wedding would make the mainstream news.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
This thread seems to assume that both siblings are obliged to get married, to people of the opposite sex, in a church. Nine of these should just be assumed.
I am not sure which posts you refer to as I have not seen any implications that these are obligatory.

Quote:
Also they are private citizens so I cannot see why any wedding would make the mainstream news.
The weddings of their Phillips and York cousins, who are also not working royals, made the mainstream news.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:15 PM
Majesty

Well of course Peter Phillips was paid a large sum by Hello magazine for access to his and Autumnís wedding reception. It apparently dismayed the Queen but no doubt it helped pay the wedding bills. Itís to be hoped that neither of the Wessex children follow that path.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well of course Peter Phillips was paid a large sum by Hello magazine for access to his and Autumnís wedding reception. It apparently dismayed the Queen but no doubt it helped pay the wedding bills. Itís to be hoped that neither of the Wessex children follow that path.
Unless they want to give all the money to some charity
Old 11-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Majesty

I don’t know whether even that would be acceptable to the Royal Family if, for instance it was known that Uncle Charles had facilitated a royal peculiar like St George’s for them to marry in and perhaps made food and flora and some beverages available from the royal estates for the reception.

However, if Louise or James were acting as purely private citizens and wanted to host an after wedding party for friends afterwards, care of a magazine contribution then that might be OK. Whether any magazines would be interested in two siblings who may well have been immersed in private life and careers for ten years or more, is debatable though.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Also they are private citizens so I cannot see why any wedding would make the mainstream news.
People like weddings. Pippa Middleton's wedding was all over the news, and she's not even royal. When Andy Murray married Kim Sears, we got live coverage on Sky News of them arriving at the church. When David Beckham and Victoria Adams got married, we heard about nothing else all weekend!

Hello and OK magazine are full of pictures of weddings of minor royals, aristocrats and celebs - and those pics obviously sell well, or magazines wouldn't offer vast sums of money for exclusive deals. It was seen as a bit tacky when Peter and Autumn did a £500,000 deal with Hello! for their wedding photos, though - it's one of those things which is seen as being OK for celebs but not quite the thing for the monarch's close relatives, and I very much doubt that Louise or James would go down that route.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I donít know whether even that would be acceptable to the Royal Family if, for instance it was known that Uncle Charles had facilitated a royal particular like St Georgeís for them to marry in and perhaps made food and flora and some beverages available from the royal estates for the reception.

However, if Louise or James were acting as purely private citizens and wanted to host an after wedding party for friends afterwards, care of a magazine contribution then that might be OK. Whether any magazines would be interested in two siblings who may well have been immersed in private life and careers for ten years or more, is debatable though.
I think you mean 'royal peculiar'
Old 11-11-2021, 07:25 PM
Majesty

Yes I did! Thanks Iluvbertie. Iíll fix it, my brainís not working this morning.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:27 PM
Serene Highness

Unless they marry into nobility, another royalty or marries a world famous person - i don’t expect big weddings for either of them....

A wedding at Windsor Castle (St George’s Chapel) or St James’ Palace (Chapel Royal or Queen’s Chapel) is likely unless they choose to marry where their ”choosen one” comes from....

Or maybe St Anne’s Church, the local parish church in Bagshot (as they are grown up at nearby Bagshot Park)

Weddings of the grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II will attract newspaper-journalists for many years to come - but the chances for a televised service is likely below zero...
Old 11-12-2021, 04:50 AM
Majesty

Has a royal wedding occurred before at St. Anne's Church?
Old 11-12-2021, 06:01 AM
Royal Highness

It looks as if the church was only built in Prince Arthur's time, and his three children, even Patricia who married a "commoner", all had big weddings in grander venues, so no.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:13 AM
Royal Highness

Bagshot Park actually has a chapel inside - not certain if it is still consecrated.
We know very little about the Wessex children - while we know Louise is religious, anything might happen in 5 - 20 years. James while all we know is he likes cars and PlayStation. So anything there - he is 13.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Has a royal wedding occurred before at St. Anne's Church?
Not likely as Bagshot Park wasn’t occupied by any members of the Royal Family from The Duke of Connaught’s death in 1942, until The Earl and Countess of Wessex moved in...

And back in the lifetime of The Duke of Connaught, even the weddings of minor royals was often grand affairs at Westminster or St George’s or on that scale...
Old 11-13-2021, 02:46 AM
Commoner

Maybe Louise would want to get married at St. George's Chapel due to her parents marrying there.

James may marry someone who would like to be married in their own church.

It wouldn't surprise me that the Queen and Prince Charles have discussed the future options of the Wessex children such as weddings, their childrens' christenings, etc. That they would have comparable opportunities their other cousins have had as grandchildren of the monarch.

It appears to me, that William is close to the Wessex family and that may give them more options than having an uncle as king. I could be completely wrong on this - as this is a family that has a strong belief hierarchy/pecking order.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Now that Lady Louise has reached marriageable age, we may start to speculate how the future weddings of her and her brother will look like.

Their parents are devoted to their duties and seem to protect the private lives of their children, wanting for them to leave as "normal" fife as possible in their situation.

Do you think the glamour of their respective weddings may depend from who will be King at that moments - still their uncle Charles (more) or already their cousin William? (less) - I am 99% sure that Queen Elizabeth will be already at the other side with her beloved Philip and from there they will both look at their grandchildren's happiness.

Will their wedding be fully televised (like that of Princess Eugenie) or there will be just a short glimpse of the young couple entering and leaving the church? (like for example Peter and Autumn)?

I personally doubt they will both hide the date and place of their weddings and the public will get to know after the fact

And how will the public know about the official engagements? Will hear at TV during the news broadcast or just will read at special pages? (Peerage News).
The Court officially announced the engagements of all their cousins because they were grandchildren of the reigning monarch, titled or not - will it be the same with Louise and James?
Will there be interviews with the couples? Or maybe the TV recognizes that they are so far in succession, that the public will not be interested?

I doubt they will be obliged to marry at the St. George's Chaple in Windsor and may choose whatever church to marry (like Zara and Mike) but will they be obliged to marry in the UK?

Could Louise and her potential sister-in-law wear the same tiara at their respective weddings (for example the one Sophie wore) or future James' wife will be obliged to wear the more glamorous one as a future Countess of Wessex (and maybe Duchess of Edinburgh)?

I'm intersted in your opinions
MERCY!!! She's a baby. This is 2021 not 1721. A royal young lady doesn't need to even think about marriage for another 10 years. I think Sophie said Louise was looking forward to University. That's what she (and we) should be thinking about . . . University and then some sort of career that interests her.

I think Louise has grown into a very pretty, very sophisticated young woman. Her parents should be proud. (And I hope the tabloid/rags leave her alone.)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
MERCY!!! She's a baby. This is 2021 not 1721. A royal young lady doesn't need to even think about marriage for another 10 years. I think Sophie said Louise was looking forward to University. That's what she (and we) should be thinking about . . . University and then some sort of career that interests her.
Lady Louise will not need to think about marriage ever, but Biri's post did not say or imply that she did (the post was set out as "speculation").

Even in 1721, marriage was not always a necessity for princesses. Two of the adult daughters of King George II never married.

I am not sure I agree that royal watchers should be thinking about Lady Louise's potential university education, but many do have thoughts and there is a thread for that topic: Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn