Education of Lady Louise and the Earl of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on Louise being at St Mary’s and being a day student not boarder. We can make same assumption that the Wessex want the same for James.
While parents & cousins might have been boarders, I don’t believe that is what Edward & Sophie want for their kids. They seem to be very close & tight knit family considering the difficulties of having kids.

Eugenie boarded and Beatrice was a day girl. It doesn't have to be a blanket decision for each family. I boarded and so did one other sibling the others were day girls. It's definitely not about being a close knit family or not, we were and are still very close. Zara and Peter both boarded and both are very close to each other and their parents. Boarding was probably the only way William and Harry were ever going to get a shot at being "just one of the boys" and some stability but that's not the case for their cousins.

We know very little about either of the siblings and can't really make many assessments about their personality, especially as whenever we do see them it's when cameras are pointed at their faces

Both Eton and Wellington are very good schools and both claim to be academic whilst looking for the all round candidate. Eton is Eton for better or worse in terms of "being at school for 5 years and then spending the rest of your life as an Old Etonian" but being the Queen's grandson already overshadows all that. Let's be honest, as long as he can put up an okay showing during assessment/13+ I don't think James will have a problem getting in to wherever his parents want him to go.

As for St. Mary's I know someone who went there and religion isn't an overriding feeling at the school, even though it's present. And if you're used to high church/mid church Anglican it's not that much different in practice anyway. It's more about it's location, academic and social reputation. If they send James to Ampleforth it might be a bit different.

The role of the Wessexes might also mean boarding or the option for Flexiboarding might become necessary if they in the short term pick up some of Andrew's dropped role or supporting Charles in the early years.

In my opinion, Eton is by far a more prestigious school than Wellington, with a higher academic standard at entry.

Isn't Eton the most prestigious school in the UK?

I've always had the impression that there are only a few schools comparable to Eton: Harrow, Westminster, Rugby.

To be honest, I've never heard of Wellington and can't believe it's on the same level.

Isn't Eton the most prestigious school in the UK?

I've always had the impression that there are only a few schools comparable to Eton: Harrow, Westminster, Rugby.

To be honest, I've never heard of Wellington and can't believe it's on the same level.

I agree with the broad concept, some of the best known schools for boys include Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Westminster and St Paul's. Rugby is not a particularly academic school. For girls, the list would include Cheltenham, Wycombe Abbey, North London Collegiate and St Paul's Girls.

This is because Meghan went to a catholic school, by the way these catholic schools are very very good?which the Royals know aswell.

Not all roads lead to Meghan! ?

Please note that posts discussing the physical aspects of Lady Louise have been deleted as off topic, and frankly insulting.

If you wish to comment on the looks and/or grooming of a teenager (by making catty remarks behind a keyboard) do it some place else!

It doesn't the name recognition of Eton or Harrow but Wellington is a prestigious, well known school with many notable old boys (and girls) etc. It's on the same level, (not just academically) as Marlborough, Radley etc. It used to have a reputation of sending more than the average boys to Sandhurst but I don't know if that's still true.

I agree with the broad concept, some of the best known schools for boys include Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Westminster and St Paul's. Rugby is not a particularly academic school. For girls, the list would include Cheltenham, Wycombe Abbey, North London Collegiate and St Paul's Girls.

Here is the list of the top 100 independent schools in the UK by percentage of pupils achieving top A-Level grades.

That is a ranking for upper secondary schools though, which doesn’t apply in Vuscountt Severn’s case.

Whatever school the Wessexes chose for James, it is always a more privileged place than the cash-strapped municipal school with a leaking roof and mould on the walls, somewhere in a neglected suburb in Nottingham or Brixton. Discussions about Wellington, Eton or Harrow... the kids in forgotten suburbia can only dream about it.

Whatever school the Wessexes chose for James, it is always a more privileged place than the cash-strapped municipal school with a leaking roof and mould on the walls, somewhere in a neglected suburb in Nottingham or Brixton. Discussions about Wellington, Eton or Harrow... the kids in forgotten suburbia can only dream about it.

Indeed. But that will always be the case if one were to compare a council estate with BP, an NHS hospital with KE VII, the slow train for Marylebone to HM's state Bentley.

Has their been anything said yet if James will be moving to Eton or (or Wellington somewhere) in the Autumn? He'll be 13 in December? With Edward involved so much with the D of E Scheme I wonder if he will attend one of the schools like Wellington (which the Taylor boys attended) or Gordonstoun or if he'd just go to Eton.

Has their been anything said yet if James will be moving to Eton or (or Wellington somewhere) in the Autumn? He'll be 13 in December? With Edward involved so much with the D of E Scheme I wonder if he will attend one of the schools like Wellington (which the Taylor boys attended) or Gordonstoun or if he'd just go to Eton.

Well if the reports are true of him now attending Eagle House School (and not St George’s anymore) then Wellington College is most likely as Eagle House is a feeder school for it.

Well if the reports are true of him now attending Eagle House School (and not St George’s anymore) then Wellington College is most likely as Eagle House is a feeder school for it.

oh you're right, Wellington College is 7 miles from Bagshot Park. Eton is 13 miles. I'm sure they chose St Mary's Ascot for Louise because of distance. I think the same factor will apply to James. Wellington it will be.

oh you're right, Wellington College is 7 miles from Bagshot Park. Eton is 13 miles. I'm sure they chose St Mary's Ascot for Louise because of distance. I think the same factor will apply to James. Wellington it will be.

The choice of Wellington vs Eton will not have been made on the grounds of distance, as the journey will, at best, be made on exeat weekends. There will be a lot more factors to consider not least educational capability, fit and so on.

The choice of Wellington vs Eton will not have been made on the grounds of distance, as the journey will, at best, be made on exeat weekends. There will be a lot more factors to consider not least educational capability, fit and so on.

An above comment suggested that he would be a day student at Wellington and that if it's Wellington it would be on account of that school having the day option. But I also have checked the distance of both Wellington and Louise's current school from Bagshot Park and they are both extremely convenient. Most people who do not do the boarding school thing choose school based on convenience, travel wise. Even Charles and Diana chose Ludgrove, for example, because it's midway between London and Highgrove. We know the Wessex family keep close, and they keep their private life close to the vest, so to speak, and they like being close physically and in every other way. I just think Wellington is a good guess and will congratulate Molly2101 in the event of her guess being spot on.:D

An above comment suggested that he would be a day student at Wellington and that if it's Wellington it would be on account of that school having the day option. But I also have checked the distance of both Wellington and Louise's current school from Bagshot Park and they are both extremely convenient. Most people who do not do the boarding school thing choose school based on convenience, travel wise. Even Charles and Diana chose Ludgrove, for example, because it's midway between London and Highgrove. We know the Wessex family keep close, and they keep their private life close to the vest, so to speak, and they like being close physically and in every other way. I just think Wellington is a good guess and will congratulate Molly2101 in the event of her guess being spot on.:D

If I am not mistaken, W&H boarded at Ludgrove.

If I am not mistaken, W&H boarded at Ludgrove.

They absolutely did. They boarded from 8. As I presume their Phillip's did although ot sure. The York girls never really went to boarding school although flexi boarded at their respective schools at times and Eugenie at Marlborough for A Levels. I think the Wessex children may be the same and Louise does not board at all.

I think that the boarding school tradition is fading out a bit.. Weekly boarding seems to be a good compromise. the children aren't away for 3 months at a time..but they are at school and cared for, if their parents are away at work..

I think that the boarding school tradition is fading out a bit.. Weekly boarding seems to be a good compromise. the children aren't away for 3 months at a time..but they are at school and cared for, if their parents are away at work..

Most boarding schools have a lot more parent - children interaction these days. For example at Harrow,

> parents can come up on Sundays to watch the children play sport, and perhaps step out for lunch.
> Also, boys typically come home for a weekend every three weeks
> Half terms are typically 6 weeks into a 12 week term.

So all in all, a lot more access these days compared to earlier times.

I really can't imagine being away from my children for so long. [emoji54][emoji54][emoji54]
I am reading Harry Potter with my girls (7 &9 years) and I asked them if they could imagine boarding. And only seeing us during Summer and Christmas.
They couldn't.
Glad to know that there are more opportunities for children to see their parents now.

Boarding as in weekly boarding is hugely popular and I often find that day children at boarding school desperately want to board because they miss all the fun. Which as teens tends to become the fun but yes if their parents live nearby they generally go home some if not most weekends.

William and Harry and I presume Zara and Peter had a very traditional boarding school set up but their four younger cousins seem to have a more modern attitude to it.

I don't think James will board as Louise, as others have said, has never boarded and that probably won't change as she will be leaving secondary school in a couple of years. I never thought the Wessexes would have sent their children to board, not when there are very good and well-respected schools like St. Mary's nearby.

I don't think he's at EH. Think it's Lambrook.

This part from the article about the family participating in cleaning a beach seems relevant for this topic:

Louise, who joshed with her brother and spoke animatedly about starting A-Levels in English, history, politics, and drama, worried that much of the progress made in persuading people to use reusable plastic cups had been lost.
Source: Express

Had Louise already done her GCSEs? (I’m assuming so since she is starting her A Levels). It will be interesting to see where she goes to university!

Had Louise already done her GCSEs? (I’m assuming so since she is starting her A Levels). It will be interesting to see where she goes to university!

She did her GCSEs this spring and has just started her A levels.

This part from the article about the family participating in cleaning a beach seems relevant for this topic:

Source: Express

Why don’t British royals take A-level Maths or Physics ? Maybe Prince Richard of Gloucester did.

Yes. It was mentioned at the time of the Windsor horse show that Louise would not be participating as she was busy with exams.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalt...louise-not-carriage-driving-this-year-reason/

And then there was this about her waiting for her results.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queens-clever-granddaughter-picks-up-22551306

Why don’t British royals take A-level Maths or Physics ? Maybe Prince Richard of Gloucester did.

Likely based on what degree they are considering in university. There are recommended A levels for certain degree paths if you already know what you hope to study in university.

Zara- took a degree in physiotherapy (did her A levels in Biology, PE and geography)
Peter-cant find what he did his a levels in, but he did his university degree in sports sciences
William-Geoggraphy, Biology, history of art. Originally went for degree in history of art but switched to geography
Harry- art and geography
Beatrice-drama, history and film studies. Did a degree in history and history of ideas.
Eugenie-art, history of art and literature. Took a degree in English literature and history of art

None of Louise's cousins took an university path where either physics or math would have been a benefit to their study path. A levels are helping prepare you for further study so it makes sense none took them.

Older generation:
Charles: A levels in history and French. Took degree in anthropology, archaeology and history.
Andrew: English, history and economics. Like Harry, he didn't go on to university, straight to navy
Edward: English, history and politics. He studied history at University
Anne: English history and politics.

Prince Richard would have taken maths of some kind if he knew he would want to become an architect. And a science though physics might not have been the choice for that.

Last edited:
Probably because they can choose what subjects they want to take?

I meant to ask why none of them seem to be interested in Math-oriented subjects. Prince William took Biology though, which at least is a natural science.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom