Education of Lady Louise and the Earl of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopewell

Gentry
City
Louisville
Country
United States
Has it been announced where Lady Louise will be going to school? Also, anyone have any newer pictures of Louise and James--since Windsor Horse Show or Trooping the Colour?

Has it been announced where Lady Louise will be going to school? Also, anyone have any newer pictures of Louise and James--since Windsor Horse Show or Trooping the Colour?

As far as I am aware no announcement has been made in line with the Wessex's determination to have their children grow up in relative anonymity which is also why they don't release photos of their children.

I personally will respect the desires of the parents and allow these two children to grow up and be able to eventually have non-royal jobs like their more distant cousins - the Kent and Gloucester children (and of course Peter Philips).

That's my thinking as well. We'll likely see them on the balconey for Trooping the Colour, but that's about it except for other high-profile occasions--Royal weddings and so on.:flowers:

I personally will respect the desires of the parents and allow these two children to grow up and be able to eventually have non-royal jobs like their more distant cousins - the Kent and Gloucester children (and of course Peter Philips).

Apparently Lady Louise is at St Georges School, Ascot. Where Eugenie went. She is 6 years old, i thought she was already at school. :flowers: I assume she'll be there till 13.

I thought it would be interesting to find out more information about St. George's School but found that it is for girls aged 11-18, so I think that Louise might be at school elsewhere. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. :flowers:

This is one of the pages that indicates the age range:
St George's School, Ascot - Your First Year

The confusion is being caused because very close to St Georges at Ascot (where Princess Beatrice and Lady Davina Lewis are numbered among the alumnae - along with Winston Churchill from when it was a boys preparatory school - or elementary school for our North American cousins) is St Georges School at Windsor where Princess Eugenie went to Primary school and that is where Louise is attending. This school was originally for the choir boys at St Georges Chapel Windsor but is now a general primary school. St George's School, Windsor St George's School, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the update on the school choice

It's nice that she's so close to Granny! I imagine the school is a perfect choice. Wonder if she'll be a boarder somewhere later on or if she'll go on as a day student. As an American I just can't fathom sending my kids away before College [University]!

The confusion is being caused because very close to St Georges at Ascot (where Princess Beatrice and Lady Davina Lewis are numbered among the alumnae - along with Winston Churchill from when it was a boys preparatory school - or elementary school for our North American cousins) is St Georges School at Windsor where Princess Eugenie went to Primary school and that is where Louise is attending. This school was originally for the choir boys at St Georges Chapel Windsor but is now a general primary school. St George's School, Windsor St George's School, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Iluvbertie!! :)

It's nice that she's so close to Granny! I imagine the school is a perfect choice. Wonder if she'll be a boarder somewhere later on or if she'll go on as a day student. As an American I just can't fathom sending my kids away before College [University]!

Of the Queen's 10 direct descendents who have left school (4 kids and 6 grandkids) only one has been a day student at school and that was Beatrice at St Georges at Ascot. All the others were boarders for high school.

As someone who attended boarding school for high school, even though there were good schools in the town where I lived at the time, I can say that there were far more activities taking place at the boarding school than at a day school. A normal day started with breakfast and then music practice (if you studied an instrument) but the advantage was that at least on of the school's music teachers or a senior student who was so far ahead of us juniors that if we were having trouble we could get help - certainly helped my music), chapel, then our classes. After school was a range of sports activities, training, swimming, tennis etc and then fun in our common room, or other activities all with your friends of course - it might be practicing for the upcoming house competition e.g. drama night, debating, public speaking, choir etc, dinner, supervised homework time where again help was available from senior students or teachers if needed, and then other activities before bed. No worries about travelling to and from school, leaving books at home, forgetting what homework to do (it was listed on the boards in our homerooms), needing to get something from the library to do homework - only needed a note to go to the library, etc. Overall I believe I had a far better education at my boarding school than I would have had at a day school and the friends I made there at still the best ones I have - far better than the new friends I made at university or since entering the workforce - because we shared so much in those growing up years.

I do love it when I get to see photos posted of Lady Louise...she remids me so much of QE II at that age.

It is common in the United States for children to go to day school a few days a week from age 2-3, and then begin "real" day/elementary school from age 4 to 18. If Lady Louise is 6, she would be in our "First Grade" (age four is Pre-Kindergarden, age five is kindergarden)

University studies typically begin at age 18 thru 22.

Given that Edward may be made Duke of Edinburgh after his father dies and that he has taken on a lot of the Duke's roles I wonder if Louise and James will attend Gordonstoun? From the 60s/70s royal group at the school it seems few if any have sent their children there. Charles and Norton Knatchbull [now Lord Brabourne] sent their sons to Eton (and Brabourne's daughter to a traditional school too I believe), Andrew's daughters went elsewhere, India Hicks son is at Stowe and I believe Helen Windsor Taylor went there for a while and her son is at Wellington which is in the same group of schools. Princess Anne, who seems "made" for the school, but wasn't able to attend since it was still all boys in her day, sent her kids there though.

I wonder if Louise gets bullied because of her eye problem.I hope not.Louise seems like she is very confidant at public events.Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.

Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.

I disagree, I don't think they're brave for letting their child lead a normal life as possible. Considering the school she's attending, I don't think bullying of any sort would be tolerated.

I wonder if Louise gets bullied because of her eye problem.I hope not.Louise seems like she is very confidant at public events.Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.

I've lived with a visual impairment all my life, and I survived school just fine. The key is, as has been stated, to let the child be as normal as possible. Expectations need to be same for her, as they are for her classmates and typically developing peers. I'm sure her parents and teachers do all they can to make sure that Louise is getting the education she needs. I've studied a great deal about children who are visually impaired (I'm a certified teacher in the field), and on a big scheme of things, Louise's condition is not at all severe. Simple adaptation of preferential seating would make her life a lot easier, and I'm sure her teachers are well aware.

I've lived with a visual impairment all my life, and I survived school just fine. The key is, as has been stated, to let the child be as normal as possible. Expectations need to be same for her, as they are for her classmates and typically developing peers. I'm sure her parents and teachers do all they can to make sure that Louise is getting the education she needs. I've studied a great deal about children who are visually impaired (I'm a certified teacher in the field), and on a big scheme of things, Louise's condition is not at all severe. Simple adaptation of preferential seating would make her life a lot easier, and I'm sure her teachers are well aware.
I so agree about letting her go to school but unfortunately kids can be so cruel. My grandson was born with a severe heart defect, so there is no muscle in his left eye lid, he can hardly open it. He has had two surgeries for it so far, but he started K-Garten and only one child has made fun of him. The teachers do a fantastic job of keeping them apart and making the other kids understand Donovans health issues. I am glad he is in regular school because it actually makes him feel normal, instead of different.:flowers:

Given that Edward may be made Duke of Edinburgh after his father dies and that he has taken on a lot of the Duke's roles I wonder if Louise and James will attend Gordonstoun? From the 60s/70s royal group at the school it seems few if any have sent their children there. Charles and Norton Knatchbull [now Lord Brabourne] sent their sons to Eton (and Brabourne's daughter to a traditional school too I believe), Andrew's daughters went elsewhere, India Hicks son is at Stowe and I believe Helen Windsor Taylor went there for a while and her son is at Wellington which is in the same group of schools. Princess Anne, who seems "made" for the school, but wasn't able to attend since it was still all boys in her day, sent her kids there though.

Lady Helen Taylor attended St Mary's Wantage, a Girls' Public School [i.e. private school!!] which was popular with 'smart set Society parents'. It was quite a strict school, run by Anglican Nuns. She then went on to Gordonstoun for her A levels. From memory, she they had to do 're-takes' at a crammer, although I might be mistaken in this respect. St Mary's has now merged with Heathfield, in Ascot [near Windsor Castle].

Marlborough seems to be quite a popular 'royal' school at the moment, because Princess Eugenie went there and so did the Middleton children.

There are of course any number of good private girls' day schools near the Wessex family home, and it could be that Edward and Sophie might take that option.

I doubt if Lady Louise would be bullied; apart from the fact that schools -and particularly Public schools - are nowadays very aware of the problem and thus able to take such action as is necessary, I would think that her 'royal' position would make her a very popular young lady.

Just my thoughts,

Alex

Last edited:
As she is currently at St Georges and Beatrice then went to the High School St Georges at Ascot that would seem a good choice as she also wouldn't need to board.

Question for our UK posters. At what age do children leave primary or elementary school and move on to middle/high school?

Question for our UK posters. At what age do children leave primary or elementary school and move on to middle/high school?

They leave at 10/11.

I can't see Edward and Sophie sending Louise and James to boarding school, but I could be wrong in thinking this. I do believe they will no doubt send them to private secondary schools, no doubt grammar schools, but I don't see the Wessex children at boarding school.

Louise's current school is a mixed primary school, but I wonder if she will attend a single sex school for her secondary education. I attended a single sex school and I must admit, I hated it. It was a grammar school so it was well behaved, but at the same time the competition levels were so high because we were all girls, therefore we all wanted to do better than each other. I don't think the school Louise would attend would be like that though.

James is turning 4 in December so he must be attending nursery at the minute. Does anyone know if St George's School in Windsor has a nursery?

On a side note, do Edward and Sophie pay for their children's education or is there a seperate fund from the Queen for that?

:previous:
George's is for children between 3 and 13, so he could be there already. And it would be safe to assume that Louise will stay at Georges until Year 8 at 13 and then to either Marlborough or St Georges in Ascot. I believe it will be up to Louise and James if the option to board at their school is open, personally I see no reason for it when they schools are so close. St Georges Ascot which Louise could attend from 13+ is an all girls school, Marlborough is not. Fees for St Georges in Windsor are between £2,000 and £4,000 per term (which by the way is the current university fees to do a degree in England per year), so i'm going to go with getting some help on that front.

Last edited by a moderator:
(That is the fee for university for now, until Cameron gets his way next year, but that is a whole other ballgame!)

I imagine Edward and Sophie will want to keep their children close by, so I think Marlborough is probably a best bet, or the school Eugenie went to. It was lovely to see Louise with her school friends at The Garter Service in June of this year, she looked like she was getting along so well with them. Lovely to see the interaction, particularly the images if her picking her nose! I did think the fees for private school would be pretty steep so assistance in that department was likely. I suppose they have no way around it as they couldn't realistically send Louise or James to the local school as they would attract a lot of attention, mainly because of their titles. I don't know about you, but I didn't have many Lady's or Viscounts in my primary school!

Last edited by a moderator:
(That is the fee for university for now, until Cameron gets his way next year, but that is a whole other ballgame!)

Hence the use of the word "current". Fees will go up next year for university to between £8,000 to £9,000 and that is every university in England.

I imagine Edward and Sophie will want to keep their children close by, so I think Marlborough is probably a best bet, or the school Eugenie went to.

That is the school Eugenie went to, she went from George's, Windsor to Marlborough.

I suppose they have no way around it as they couldn't realistically send Louise or James to the local school as they would attract a lot of attention, mainly because of their titles.

Actually they could send Louise and James to a normal school, they've just chosen not to. I believe, although different country different press, the Danish royal children Isabella and Christian go to an ordinary school. If it were 'safe' for James and Louise to attend a 'normal' school (I guess we're talking about one that doesn't have £4,000 a term fees) then I don't see why they aren't. I guess there's the tradition element.

Last edited:
I tend to believe the quality of education is better at public school when compared to your local grammar school. 2000 to 4000 pounds a term really isnt that expensive for a quality education. I doubt if the Wessex's would need assistance in paying the fees.

NGalitzine said:
I tend to believe the quality of education is better at public school when compared to your local grammar school. 2000 to 4000 pounds a term really isnt that expensive for a quality education. I doubt if the Wessex's would need assistance in paying the fees.

How does the quality of education differ between public and private schools when you see public and pray students doing the exact same courses in life and getting the exact if not better results? This is not probably a matter for this thread. But paying for the same level of education you would recieve for free, is silly. But of you've got the money to 'spend' away, then why no in the case of the royals.

We will have to agree to disagree on the merits of being privately educated as opposed to going to a state school. I believe that smaller class sizes, sports, exposure to the arts have value and that generally these are more available to students who are privately educated. I also believe going to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge will get you farther than getting a degree from Hull or Kent, but again that is just my personal opinon or prejudice if you will.

One might argue that a fair number of individuals, who are privately educated and go onto the Oxbridge, tend to go farther due to nepotism. It is like some private club the one has to be born into. Such situation applies to Lady Louise.

Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree on the merits of being privately educated as opposed to going to a state school. I believe that smaller class sizes, sports, exposure to the arts have value and that generally these are more available to students who are privately educated. I also believe going to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge will get you farther than getting a degree from Hull or Kent, but again that is just my personal opinon or prejudice if you will.

I agree with you.
But it's more than that, imo.
A Harvard student once made the comment: We are paying for each other's company.

I think this might have something to do with choosing a private (public) rather than a state school. :whistling:

If the children are at public schools (private, fee paying schools), boys will typically leave at 13 and girls at 11.

Back
Top Bottom