Education of Lady Louise and the Earl of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the children are at public schools (private, fee paying schools), boys will typically leave at 13 and girls at 11.

I'm confused by your post - at public schools boys and girls both leave at 11. At private fee paying schools it's entirely dependent upon the child and their parents. Such as St George's in Windsor goes up to age 13 but Louise could leave at 11 and go to a school up until she is 18. You seem to be mixing the two together?

Last edited:
I'm confused by your post - at public schools boys and girls both leave at 11. At private fee paying schools it's entirely dependent upon the child and their parents. Such as St George's in Windsor goes up to age 13 but Louise could leave at 11 and go to a school up until she is 18. You seem to be mixing the two together?

Typically, at privately funded, fee paying, "independent" schools (also referred to as "public schools"), girls leave at 11 and boys at 13 after sitting entrance tests for secondary schools. Some schools operate on a 7+ entry system whereby 6 year olds sit tests and are interviewed to enter schools that will take them up to the A level or IB exams.

Strange - public schools to me have always been the ones the 'public' attended. And fee paying schools are known as private/independent schools.

Strange - public schools to me have always been the ones the 'public' attended. And fee paying schools are known as private/independent schools.

Lady Helen Taylor attended St Mary's Wantage, a Girls' Public School [i.e. private school!!] which was popular with 'smart set Society parents'.

Perhaps they use different terms in the north of England! :lol:

Perhaps they use different terms in the north of England! :lol:

Well surely the words used in the names would indicate who attended which. Public school.....public. :)
Public and Private are too very different things in the world mixing them is silly IMO. I shall continue to call a non fee paying school a public school and a fee paying one private. We have 7 fee paying schools in Yorkshire and they're all referred to as private schools. :lol:

Some history behind the terms here - when most of the more famous 'private' schools were founded they were called 'public' if they took in bright boys from the local population. e.g. Eton, Harrow, Westminster, Rugby, etc are the Great Public Schools - but they are private in that people have to pay fees, unless they are able to win a scholarship.

Here in NSW we have a set of boys schools which have been modelled on these schools from England (I don't know if there are any in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland hence the use of the term England) and they are called 'Greater Public Schools' or GPS for short.

A description of the terms for your benefit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_School_(UK)

This makes it clear that in the UK public funded schools are state schools while privately funded schools can and do call themselves public schools - based on the history behind the term.

I have never heard of GPS schools in NSW and I worked for the Department of Education for over 20 years dealing in both public and the private schools. Over here even the private schools actually get a great deal of public monies which causes some problems with the public schools. The private schools tend to have better surroundings and choices in subjects. The teachers have a higher standard then the public school system as they can actually get fired for not performing whereas a public school teachers don't. We have selective high schools in NSW which are hard to get into and are similar to the private sector as they have goals to reach and it takes an exam etc to even get in. I think the education systems in Denmark and England are different. Could be they feel their kids are just as safe and will be just as well taught at this time. The High School they go to could be a different thing. I would think they would choose somewhere that gave the children the best chance to get the education they needed. I think Sophie and Edward will keep their children close to home while giving them the education and opportunities for a bright future. I doubt they would have any problems paying the school fees.

Kings, Sydney Boys High, Sydney Grammar, Newington, St Ignatius, St Joseph's, Scots, Shore and TAS (in Armidale) are the GPS schools in NSW. With the exception of Sydney Boys High the others are all independent, private schools but they are also Greater Public Schools. One of the best reported events of these schools is the Head of the River along with their Rugby games - where they get crowds of 10,000 plus. This is an historica term going back into the 19th C when these schools were forming.

I am surprised that someone who works in the Department of Education hasn't heard of the GPS schools seeing as the term is used so commonly in relation to these schools. e.g. Early start to curb drunken old boys in wake of latest rugby brawl | thetelegraph.com.au

I first heard of GPS schools in NSW in the 1960s (probably because my brother went to one) and I know a number of teachers who teach in them today.

I teach in an independent school - private etc. I wouldn't agree that teachers are better in private schools - as many of them started in the state system and simply left for a number of reasons - mainly due to the pay, conditions and atrocious behaviour of students. Not all private schools have the faciltiies of a Kings or a Shore. Many are like mine - lacking facilities e.g. no playing space for kids, demountable buildings (our new buildings are demountables replacing the old demountables - we are starting to build some brick ones but it will be another 30 years before they are done). We offer a limited number of subjects and are ranked in the HSC about 600 or lower.

From working with people who have also taught in schools in the UK I gather the conditions in state run schools in the UK are much the same so would expect that Louise and James would go to a fee-paying school - simply to ensure that they are at schools were the students are expected to behave.

Last edited:
Well surely the words used in the names would indicate who attended which. Public school.....public. :)
Public and Private are too very different things in the world mixing them is silly IMO. I shall continue to call a non fee paying school a public school and a fee paying one private. We have 7 fee paying schools in Yorkshire and they're all referred to as private schools. :lol:

The consistent willingness of some to smugly flaunt ignorance is always refreshing.

Last edited:
I seem way behind- did James start school?

roseroyal said:
I seem way behind- did James start school?

He either started primary School last September at age 3, or he's starting this September age 4. If he's not in school he's still at nursery.

Louise Windsor school

Which school is Lady Louise going to after St Georges School which she just finished

Welcome to the Royal Forums Night! ?

Interesting question. I don't know anything about the school/s the Wessex children attend, but Louise is 13, will be 14 in November. If she hasn't already commenced secondary school, she must be doing so this Autumn.

She has been at St Georges at Windsor and unless she has repeated a grade or two (and that is none of our business if she has and I have no reason to think she has either) she should be moving to high school this year.

Nearby is St Georges at Ascot, where Beatrice went to school. It has the advantage that Louise won't have to board, which with many other schools she would have to do.

I have no idea where she will go and I am not sure that we will be told. The alternative to St Georges at Ascot may be Gordonstoun as Edward seemed to have enjoyed his time there and it is now co-ed - both Zara and Peter went there as well. I do, however, get a feeling that the new young royals (and yes I know Louise is the same generation as Peter, Zara, William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie) aren't as likely to be shunted off to boarding schools. Mike is on record as saying they aren't going to send Mia to boarding school and there are reports that Kate and William also have no intention of sending George and Charlotte away.

You are right in that Louise and James are of the same "generation" as their much older and adult (some parents themselves) cousins, but in reality are still children and the older members of the young generation in the BRF.

So in that sense can see day schools being more a popular choice, don't most of the elite schools cater for both these days?

In any case, if she hasn't already, Louise should be starting her senior school in the coming weeks.

There does seem to have been a gradual shift in attitude and expectation when it comes to education in the BRF so if Louise and James do not attend boarding school then they might be the trendsetters for their cousins' children (Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte.)

I'm placing my bets on Louise going off to Marlborough College in September. St George's in Ascot is a good guess but I'm still thinking it will be Marlborough. She can board there but come home at the weekend as it's not too far away. Gordonstoun is just a bit too far away I think.

I think Louise will most likely attend a day school or a boarding school that's within a short enough distance for it to be easy for her to come home when she needs/wants to. I doubt she'll go to Gourdonstoun either, despite the fact that Edward reportedly enjoyed his time there.

The same goes for James - he could go to Eton I suppose; it's not that far from St. George's. However I think he will most likely go to the same secondary school as his sister since they went to primary school together - unless he is able to choose his own secondary school.

Last edited:
I could see Louise at Marlborough. Close to home but still gets a bit of the independence of being away from home. Bea stayed at St George because of her learning disabilities.

I don't think we will see royals abandoning boarding schools, certainly not working royals. Simply a shift to starting later. Both Kate and Will enjoyed boarding school. I'd be shocked if we don't see Eton and likely Marlborough in their kids future. Will has wanted his kids to have a more normal upbringing like the Midfletons, but boarding school was part. Also when their parents are Prince and Princess of Wales and constantly on the road, it makes sense.

I am inclined to say the children will not go to boarding schools as Ed & Sophie seem very hands on and I can imagine them wanting the children home each night. That said looking at it purely practically, and if money isn't a problem, they may choose a boarding school as it may increase the children's privacy and also allow Ed & Sophie time to do royal duties. Alternatively they may choose a school that is both day and boarding as increasingly more of these offer flexible boarding where children can board a night or two each week or when needed.

I can't see boarding schools being ruled out for any future generations but they may avoid sending them too early and may choose more low-key more normal schools than Eton.

If either of Prince Edward's children go to university will the choice of universities they pick be public?

The reason why I ask is that Edward and his wife seem quite reluctant for their children to lose their privacy and they want them to be normal

Last edited:
If either of Prince Edward's children go to university will that be public like other members of the BRF?

The reason why I ask is that Edward and his wife seem quite reluctant for their children to lose their privacy and they want them to be normal

We will know where they go to school. And I don't entirely agree that E and S are seeking "normal." The kids are privileged and I don't think the family minds that. I just think the family wants them to avoid some of the scrutiny that comes from a life where the press is always allowed "in." We get to see both of the children at regular public events - certainly more of Louise this year at a number of horsy events.

I think the Wessexes seek privacy, rather than normalcy. I would too.

:previous: "privacy, rather than normalcy". Perfectly stated!

Edward and Sophie probably undertand that it's near impossible for a Royal child or any Royal person to have true normalcy. Privacy is another matter.

And I think they are honest and realistic enough to understand the difference.:cool:

Last edited:
Bea and Eugenie both went to university and weren’t really bothered while there. I doubt that the paps are going to bother with Louise and James while they are at university.

Edward and Sophie saw their children had the opportunity for private lives and gave it to them, which was a very wise decision, I think. Louise and James will still have all the unofficial privileges associated with being the grandchildren of a monarch - first rate educations, social and family connections, the opportunity to pursue their careers of choice, a nice, although probably not exorbitant sum of money set aside for them in trusts - without the constant attention and expectations that fall on working royals.

If either of Prince Edward's children go to university will the choice of universities they pick be public?

I’m not their university choices will be made public like the York sisters educations were. We got photos of Beatrice and Eugenie beginning primary school and we saw photos of Eugenie beginning St George’s in Windsor. We never saw anything like that with Louise and James. I’m not even sure how their primary school attendance was even made public. Likely it was leaked by a parent as I remember an article stating that Elton Johns kids were going to be going to the same school.

We also don’t know where Louise has gone for her secondary education. On the website of her previous school it lists the schools that pupils have gone on to and surprisingly Marlborough College isn’t one of them. I imagine she’s gone to St George’s in Ascot where Beatrice attended.

We also don’t know where Louise has gone for her secondary education. On the website of her previous school it lists the schools that pupils have gone on to and surprisingly Marlborough College isn’t one of them. I imagine she’s gone to St George’s in Ascot where Beatrice attended.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if Louise is going to boarding school.

Do their kids attend boarding school?
I read that only Beatrice attended a day school, unlike her cousins. Is that true?
I thought her sister was a day scholar, too?

Posts discussing the styles and titles of current and future members of the BRF and extended family and the downsizing of the BRF have been moved to the Monarchy under Charles thread.

This thread is for the discussion of the Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn. Further off topic posts will be deleted without warning.

Last edited:
On the St. George’s website in the “destination schools” section, it states that one pupil attended St. Mary’s in Ascot out of last year’s leavers. I wonder if that was Lady Louise? Whilst it is a Catholic school, her cousin Margarita went there for a bit before attending Tudor Hall in Oxford so it’s a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom