Education of Lady Louise and the Earl of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a big difference between the level of education that the girls did in Wales to Louise in Scotland. The Welsh place is a SCHOOL while the Scottish one is a UNIVERSITY - or post-school educational establishment.

The girls in Wales would have had a lot of age related limitations on their activities as nightclubs etc often insist on the person being 18 to get in. They were school girls not university students.

When at school the school will arrange a lot of activities to keep the students busy while the university expects their young people to behave more as adults (which they are) and so doesn't provide as much in organised activities and none (other than those directly related to their education) that are compulsory.

It was about the relatively periphere locations and even for under-eighteens it will be a massive difference to live and go to school/university in a metropole as London or to live in quite remote Fife (St Andrews) or Glamorgan (Atlantic College).

I'm sure that the students' union at St Andrews organises plenty of events, but they'll only be attended by students, and any visitors they may have, so it'll be a lot more private than an ordinary public bar or nightclub in the middle of Manchester or Birmingham would be. And I'm sure that Louise has discussed it all with William and Catherine, so knows what to expect.

To be fair, the media people have been pretty good about leaving young royals in peace during their university years.

I'm sure that the students' union at St Andrews organises plenty of events, but they'll only be attended by students, and any visitors they may have, so it'll be a lot more private than an ordinary public bar or nightclub in the middle of Manchester or Birmingham would be. And I'm sure that Louise has discussed it all with William and Catherine, so knows what to expect.

To be fair, the media people have been pretty good about leaving young royals in peace during their university years.
Media people haven’t been all that good particularly with Prince William when he was at University, but for the most part, royals at uni are left alone.

hmm - it seems that the apartment that William used is still owned by William or Charles so she might be using that. And that might have played a big role in deciding whether to go there. Well it sure beats dorm life.
But to be honest I expected a gap year - I think all the grandkids did gap years. Even the ones that didnt go to uni.
I don’t think the convenience of the property that William “owns” is what influenced her choice.

hmm - it seems that the apartment that William used is still owned by William or Charles so she might be using that. And that might have played a big role in deciding whether to go there. Well it sure beats dorm life.
But to be honest I expected a gap year - I think all the grandkids did gap years. Even the ones that didnt go to uni.

I find this "gap year" trend fascinating. Never heard of it here in America. Everyone I know of, including my friends and my grandchildren always went from graduating High School {first 12 years} immediately into their university or College. No slacking off for a year. Has this custom always been popular in UK or just a newer event within the last few generations?

Media people haven’t been all that good particularly with Prince William when he was at University, but for the most part, royals at uni are left alone.

thats not really true, William was left alone by the press during his Uni years, the one company that followed him was Edwards film company

It would be funny (and circle-closing) if William showed up at St. Andrew's just to take some pictures of Louise as a joke.

But I'm sure everyone has better things to do.

thats not really true, William was left alone by the press during his Uni years, the one company that followed him was Edwards film company

As I recall, the documentary "Reinventing the Royals" includes interviews with a member of the camera crew accused of following William at St. Andrews. That person indicated that the story was false and that they were collecting footage for the B roll (standard practice). The documentary also corrects other "facts" that have circulated for years and blames much of it on Mark Bolland's efforts to improve the public perception of Charles and Camilla. The documentary was notable for many reasons, including interviews with author Penny Junor and Charles' former press secretary Sandy Henney. Time to rewatch!

I remember that and, if memory serves, Charles was reportedly none too pleased with Edward.

Edit: what does ‘collecting footage for the B roll’ even mean?

Last edited:
I don't know what I find more impressive...the fact that Louise will be going to St. Andrew's or that she is working at such a "real person" job.

She seems like a tremendous asset to her parents and to the queen.

Congrats,Louise!
I think St. Andrew's will be a good match for her. I hope she has a wonderful time!
She seems like a nice, sweet girl. I wish her the best

I find this "gap year" trend fascinating. Never heard of it here in America. Everyone I know of, including my friends and my grandchildren always went from graduating High School {first 12 years} immediately into their university or College. No slacking off for a year. Has this custom always been popular in UK or just a newer event within the last few generations?

I think it is a custom among European youth in general, not only in the UK. Princess Amalia of the Netherlands just finished her gap year and is about to start her university studies.

I think there are many reasons why people don't do it in the US. An obvious one is that Americans don't like "wasting time" and, in their culture, they see a gap year, as you said, as "slacking off". Europeans might see it differently, as getting to know different cultures, gaining life experience, etc. Another reason is that college life (college here as in US English) is supposed to be "fun" in America (as in "the best time of your life") and, for most American students, it is also their first time moving out of home, living on their own, etc. It sure beats hiking across the world on your own for a year.

I think in the UK many (most?) students also move out when they go to uni, and most older universities (like Oxbridge or St Andrews) have a residential model. But, correct if I am wrong, I don't think that is necessarily the case in continental Europe. Many students go to university in their home town or close to it, and still live with their parents. So university life is not such a big social change as it is in the US.

Last edited:
I think it is a custom among European youth in general, not only in the UK. Princess Amalia of the Netherlands just finished her gap year and is about to start her university studies.

I think there are many reasons why people don't do it in the US. An obvious one is that Americans don't like "wasting time" and, in their culture, they see a gap year, as you said, as "slacking off". Europeans might see it differently, as getting to know different cultures, gaining life experience, etc. Another reason is that college life (college here as in US English) is supposed to be "fun" in America (as in "the best time of your life") and, for most American students, it is also their first time moving out of home, living on their own, etc. It sure beats hiking across the world on your own for a year.

I think in the UK many (most?) students also move out when they go to uni, and most older universities (like Oxbridge or St Andrews) have a residential model. But, correct if I am wrong, I don't think that is necessarily the case in continental Europe. Many students go to university in their home town or close to it, and still live with their parents. So university life is not such a big social change as it is in the US.

Happy to correct - not sure about all countries but at least for the Netherlands and also in Belgium it is common to go 'op kot'. Traditionally the large majority of university students (as opposed to higher professional education students - they tend to study closer to home so have more options) lived in student houses in the city they studied and would also look forward to their student (social) life that consists of much more than just studying. However, because of the housing crisis it is more and more difficult to find an affordable room. Nonetheless, it remains the wish (and reality) for a majority of the students.

Note: Student houses are not dormitories that include multiple students in one room nor is it obligatory - each student will have their own room; some of them in special flats build for student housing and others renting an apartment/house with multiple students where each has their own room and they share a bathroom and kitchen.

I was actually talking about Edwards media company to be precise and the point was that he was bothered. But I did say for the most part he and other royals in uni were left alone.

I don't know what I find more impressive...the fact that Louise will be going to St. Andrew's or that she is working at such a "real person" job.

She seems like a tremendous asset to her parents and to the queen.
I don’t think it’s really tremendous because Louise is not the first royal to have an actual job and she’s never going to be a working royal. It was bound to happen.

I never said she was the first Royal person to have a job.

I commended her for having a job at a garden center as opposed to a bank, an Embassy or an art gallery which is the usual route taken by Royal princesses which is technically exactly what Louise is, even if she doesn't carry the title.

Can anyone confirm where the Earl of Wessex is now going to school? At nearly 16 he would have been in High School for a few years now. There was talk that he might be attending Wellington.

It should be noted that we were not aware that he was at Eagle either until he had left.

There is no information about where James is currently. I have been asked if he is at Wellington, Eton or Malboro House. We just don't know. I have also been told that he is no longer in formal education - but we have no way to confirm that as BP does not take or answer any questions regarding the Edinburgh children as they are private citizens.

It should be noted that we were not aware that he was at Eagle either until he had left.

There is no information about where James is currently. I have been asked if he is at Wellington, Eton or Malboro House. We just don't know. I have also been told that he is no longer in formal education - but we have no way to confirm that as BP does not take or answer any questions regarding the Edinburgh children as they are private citizens.

I highly doubt he has left education. I am sure people will know in time.

We have one way of knowing whether James is still in full-time education - his age.

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college
start an apprenticeship or traineeship
spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

James won't be 16 until December so he isn't old enough to not be in full-time formal education yet.

Last edited:
An account on Instagram came across photos of James in his school army cadets uniform and it seems he attends Radley College in Oxfordshire. It is a boarding school and only accepts boarders so we can safely assume James is a boarder.

An account on Instagram came across photos of James in his school army cadets uniform and it seems he attends Radley College in Oxfordshire. It is a boarding school and only accepts boarders so we can safely assume James is a boarder.

James is also listed as an Old Radleian on the school’s Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radley_College

How long will James be in the schools cadet force?

Very well know schools in this here parts. One of last full boarding. Maybe an odd choice. I'm not too sure. Certainly prestigious. Buit of a reputation, or did have one, for boys to go there if they weren't quite academicly strong enough for Magdalen in Oxford. Doubt he would have thought of Magdalen College though.

Interesting that they have James but not Edo who is also a former student of Radley.

Edo is merely the husband of the niece of the King. Why would he be there. He is not well known in his own right. James is different. He actually is royal.

Back
Top Bottom