Edinburgh and Wessex Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep - that is what I had assumed. As I only have the journo and the organisers word for it - they say it was done correctly. I put it done as mishap.
However if it has been done before, it would have Earl of Wessex on it.

Yep - that is what I had assumed. As I only have the journo and the organisers word for it - they say it was done correctly. I put it done as mishap.
However if it has been done before, it would have Earl of Wessex on it.

Not necessarily.

If BP knew that the title would be changing then have Earl of Wessex on it dated after 10th March could lead people, in the future, to think it was James who performed the ceremony (and at 15 he may be young but it isn't necessarily that he couldn't do it at 15).

To be sure there is no misunderstanding now or in the future about who did the unveiling Prince Edward would be the more appropriate title.

We have to accept that for Charles and Edward the title is "ongoing", even though it is a new creation and a life-peerage. As with all main titles of a peerage, the peerage is what counts, it is normally in existence till there is no (in most cases male) "heir of the body" and has to be removed by an act of parliament nowadays. And with a life-peerage it is anyway a personal gift of Charles. But maybe, if James Wessex turns out okay, he'll get it some day. This way, he can choose to live his life as he sees fit and I like it!

We have to accept that for Charles and Edward the title is "ongoing", even though it is a new creation and a life-peerage. As with all main titles of a peerage, the peerage is what counts, it is normally in existence till there is no (in most cases male) "heir of the body" and has to be removed by an act of parliament nowadays. And with a life-peerage it is anyway a personal gift of Charles. But maybe, if James Wessex turns out okay, he'll get it some day. This way, he can choose to live his life as he sees fit and I like it!

Yes, the King can order a remainder to be attached to the Letters Patent, stating that the peerage, originally for Life, is now hereditary.

Yes, the King can order a remainder to be attached to the Letters Patent, stating that the peerage, originally for Life, is now hereditary.

He can't do this. But he can recreate the same title with new remainder.

Back
Top Bottom