The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 03-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, that’s very nice. But can someone tell me where the hell The Queen get these titles from? I mean, if your gonna give your child a royal title, make it an attractive one. Forfar? Really?


Name an attractive available title? I genuinely don’t understand what makes a title “attractive”. HM gets the titles from the figurative “bank” of titles that have merged with the crown.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Name an attractive available title? I genuinely don’t understand what makes a title “attractive”. HM gets the titles from the figurative “bank” of titles that have merged with the crown.
I don’t know, make up one. The Earldom of Serenity. The Earldom of Isles. The Earldom of Heather. The Earldom of Highland.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 311
I am surprised he didn't get a Scottish title on his wedding day. Why now?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,714
The most "Liked" reply to the announcement is extremely contemptuous of the Earl.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...78617412485122

Is there a reason the Earl of Wessex is apparently so disliked? It surprises me very much, as he appears dedicated to his duties and no recent scandals come to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Claire's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,142
Makes me wonder if the arrangement of the Duke of Edinburgh title has falling away? That was to be his Scottish title?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,033
This though, from Wikipedia, "Forfar is also known for the "coo o Forfar". A householder left a tub of beer in the doorway to cool, and a passing cow drank it. When the owner of the cow was charged for the beer, a baillie ruled that if the beer was drunk at the doorway it was "deoch an doras" or "stirrup cup", to charge for which would be an insult to Scots hospitality. This became a byword: "Be like the coo o Forfar, an tak a stannin drink".[24]"

__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Claire's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The most "Liked" reply to the announcement is extremely contemptuous of the Earl.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...78617412485122

Is there a reason the Earl of Wessex is apparently so disliked? It surprises me very much, as he appears dedicated to his duties and no recent scandals come to mind.
A lot of it comes fro negative press in the 80's and most of it was simply rumours. Yes - he did do the Royal Knockout which was a problem in the light that it drew on the royals as ordinary people , but more the press contempt as they weren't allowed to photograph due to a contract with a specific media group. He resigned his military commission which is still today seen as cowardly. Odd in a country where mostly people don't join the armed services themselves, but it was proof of his homosexuality for many. Then when Edward decided to follow the arts as his employment, further fodder. HE has for years been considered the black sheep of the family, the press often pit him against Charles or William as the villain in their soap opera. I have been told that we will never hear the truth of the Following William at St. Andrew's incident - but I know for certain that William threw a tantrum and event the staff at St. Andrew's wondered what the fuss was about. Whatever the truth was - didn't stop the tabloid from making up the story, I am told that the truth was actually a far better story, but William and Kate would not have come out clean there.

Edward has been doing engagements since the age of 17, with little or no publicity. Even when he was at university and when he was employed full time. It wouldn't surprise me that when he dies we will be told that he was some anonymous writer or something. The press don't like him as he doesn't play to them and he doesn't mind. There was a request from the Queen to a campaign to help with his public image and he rejected it. He really doesn't care what the press and the public think of him. He just gets on with the job. The people that are important to him know him and that is it.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,381
Are the Wessexes going to offer stirrup cups to passers by when in Scotland? Forfar can sound sound very attractive when pronounced with a Scottish burr, rolling the Rs. I have to confess though, I'm mystified. Why the extra earldom now? Is Edward finding it a bit unfair with no Dukedom and his brothers and two of his nephews having more senior titles?
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
I am surprised he didn't get a Scottish title on his wedding day. Why now?
The Queen probably saw no reason to grant a (Scottish) second viscountcy or barony to him because nobody would be entitled to use it while Prince Edward remained "only" an Earl, under the convention that only the eldest sons of earls, marquesses, and dukes may use the lower titles which their fathers or grandfathers hold in their own right.

For example, if Prince Edward had been created "Earl of Wessex, Viscount Severn, and Baron Forfar" upon marriage, his eldest son would be known as Viscount Severn, but Viscount Severn's eldest son would be known as The Honourable (Name) Mountbatten-Windsor, not Lord Forfar.

As to being granted a Scottish earldom (which Edward, rather than his son or grandson, will use), it seems to be a reward for his engagements representing the crown in Scotland over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Earldom of Isles
Lord of the Isles is already taken by Prince Charles
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Lord of the Isles is already taken by Prince Charles
Then the Earldom of Highland.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,337
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 10: November 2018 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don’t know, make up one. The Earldom of Serenity. The Earldom of Isles. The Earldom of Heather. The Earldom of Highland.

That would do wonders for the RF publicly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Makes me wonder if the arrangement of the Duke of Edinburgh title has falling away? That was to be his Scottish title?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
I am surprised he didn't get a Scottish title on his wedding day. Why now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Are the Wessexes going to offer stirrup cups to passers by when in Scotland? Forfar can sound sound very attractive when pronounced with a Scottish burr, rolling the Rs. I have to confess though, I'm mystified. Why the extra earldom now? Is Edward finding it a bit unfair with no Dukedom and his brothers and two of his nephews having more senior titles?

I genuinely see this title as thank you from The Queen to her son. It’s quite significant the announcement was made on his birthday. People bringing ideas of jealously and insecurity into the mix clearly don’t understand the RF.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
I'm very fond of the word 'Forfar'.. as it was the name of a really excellent Tea Shop in Brighton when I was at Art school there.. so I wholeheartedly approve of HMQ's choice.
Many congrats to the Earl and Countess of Wessex and Forfar...
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,017
Great news, nice honor to Edward on his birthday

Bit surprised though. Its not like a knighthood, being granted a new peerage. Usually peerages are given on the wedding and that's it. A new peerage now is definitely a surprise. I wasn't expecting a Scottish title till he is DOE.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
A lot of it comes fro negative press in the 80's and most of it was simply rumours. Yes - he did do the Royal Knockout which was a problem in the light that it drew on the royals as ordinary people , but more the press contempt as they weren't allowed to photograph due to a contract with a specific media group. He resigned his military commission which is still today seen as cowardly. Odd in a country where mostly people don't join the armed services themselves, but it was proof of his homosexuality for many. Then when Edward decided to follow the arts as his employment, further fodder. HE has for years been considered the black sheep of the family, the press often pit him against Charles or William as the villain in their soap opera. I have been told that we will never hear the truth of the Following William at St. Andrew's incident - but I know for certain that William threw a tantrum and event the staff at St. Andrew's wondered what the fuss was about. Whatever the truth was - didn't stop the tabloid from making up the story, I am told that the truth was actually a far better story, but William and Kate would not have come out clean there.

.
The "fuss" was that the Press had agreed to leave Will and Harry alone until they were out of school or Uni..and mostly they had stuck to that agreemetnt.. and then his OWN UNCLE followed hm around. I don't blame Will and Chalres if they were furious.
As for his giving up being in the Marines, it had nothing to do with his being considered cowardly but it seemed stupid to undertake it and then drop out. He could have finished the course and then said that he didn't want to remain in the services...
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:35 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,790
The last Earl of Forfar died in 1715 ,its a nice birthday gift for Prince Edward!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The "fuss" was that the Press had agreed to leave Will and Harry alone until they were out of school or Uni..and mostly they had stuck to that agreemetnt.. and then his OWN UNCLE followed hm around. I don't blame Will and Chalres if they were furious.
As for his giving up being in the Marines, it had nothing to do with his being considered cowardly but it seemed stupid to undertake it and then drop out. He could have finished the course and then said that he didn't want to remain in the services...
If he was going to leave the Marines, it was better he do it when he did. Anything else would have smacked of special treatment. When you join the armed forces, you sign a contract. You only have a 6 month window to decide if it the career for you. If you don't leave before 6 months, you are required to fill your four year commitment. If he had been allowed to leave after a year, the press would have rightfully claimed he got special treatment.

The only option would have been to find him some desk job with the marines to avoid actual deployment. But he would still have been committed.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
If he was going to leave the Marines, it was better he do it when he did. Anything else would have smacked of special treatment. When you join the armed forces, you sign a contract. You only have a 6 month window to decide if it the career for you. If you don't leave before 6 months, you are required to fill your four year commitment. If he had been allowed to leave after a year, the press would have rightfully claimed he got special treatment.

The only option would have been to find him some desk job with the marines to avoid actual deployment. But he would still have been committed.
my recollection was that he quit after 4 or 5 months...
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,821
I wonder if Viscount Severn will now use Forfar instead as that is the normal practice - to use their father's second title.

As for Edward using it in Scotland what I have found interesting in the CC this year is that they haven't been using secondary titles at all other than for Charles e.g. William and Kate made a visit to Scotland and the CC didn't use Strathearn. The CC hasn't used Inverness for Andrew for about 20 years now. The CC didn't use Carrickfergus for the Cambridges on their recent visit to Northern Ireland. I would therefore expect the Wessexes to still be Wessex only when in Scotland in the CC.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, United States
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, that’s very nice. But can someone tell me where the hell The Queen get these titles from? I mean, if your gonna give your child a royal title, make it an attractive one. Forfar? Really?
"Forfar" is the region of Scotland where Glamis Castle is, the seat of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's family.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
countess of wessex, current events, earl of wessex, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, viscount severn


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 3: February-August 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 197 08-17-2008 11:44 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 2: September 2007-February 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 211 02-07-2008 07:16 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 1: March-September 2007 Avalon Current Events Archive 211 09-10-2007 06:44 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 9: November 2005-March 2006 Martine Current Events Archive 197 03-11-2006 11:46 PM
Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 8: August-November 2005 marezdote Current Events Archive 183 11-08-2005 01:46 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia once upon a time ancestry armstrong-jones bangladesh baptism chittagong countess of snowdon cover-up danish history dragons dutch history dutch royal family dutch royals family tree games haakon vii hill history house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau imperial household interesting introduction israel jacobite jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander list of rulers mailing maxima mbs nepal nepalese royal family nobel prize norway history popularity prince charles prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince daniel princely family of monaco princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess elizabeth pronunciation queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain spencer family startling new evidence thailand tracts unsubscribe videos visit from sweden wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×