Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 10: November 2018 - March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there plans for her to meet with a member from the Dutch Royal family? Prince Constantijn and/or his wife have shared interests as the Countess.

Are there plans for her to meet with a member from the Dutch Royal family? Prince Constantijn and/or his wife have shared interests as the Countess.

She met with Princess Mabel on February 2.

It was a two days visit and she has already departed, so she won‘t meet any more members of the Dutch royal family.

Sophie's engagements were more in relation to International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court, which are situated in The Hague. It's sort of like saying you were in New York, but since you were actually attending functions in Manhattan at the United Nations, you didn't actually see much of NY except through the windows of the cab taking you to and from the airport.

The Countess of Wessex as Honorary Air Commodore Royal Air Force Wittering, Royal Honorary Colonel 5th Battalion The Rifles (5 Rifles), Colonel-in-Chief Royal Corps of Army Music, Colonel-in-Chief Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, Colonel-in-Chief The Lincoln and Welland Regiment and Colonel-in-Chief the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers atended the Countess of Wessex Cup at Gibraltar Barracks, Surrey, today, February 7:

** rex gallery **

** gettyimages gallery: GBR: The Countess Of Wessex Attends The Countess Of Wessex Cup At Gibraltar Barracks **

Last edited:
Today, February 9, the Countess of Wessex as Patron of the Chartered Management Institute attended a discussion and reception at County Hall, Riverside Building in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I was wondering what the status of the Cayman Islands is as they are not one of the Commonwealth realms... For those who are also wondering: the Cayman Islands is one of 14 British Overseas Territories.

Other examples include Bermuda, Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands, the British Virgin Islands and St Helena etc. The Cayman Islands has the largest population of all the BOTs (28% of the BOT-population). See Wikipedia for more information.

Last edited:
By now the Earl and Countess of Wessex are on the Bahamas and attended the Gold Award ceremony for the Governor General’s Youth Award yesterday, February 23:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

A truly wonderfull family!!Examplary!!

The Earl of Wessex visited The Lord Mayor's City of London Academy Shoreditch Park, London, today, March 7:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And in the evening, the Earl of Wessex as Patron of The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain attended the 'Make A Splash' Gala at The Londoner, Leicester Square, London:

** gettyimages gallery **

I will say if Edward and Sophie do not get the long promised Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh Title I will be VERY disappointed. IN Charles.

I'm already greatly dismayed that Charles moved to award Royal Titles to his grandchildren that neither live in The Country or whose Parents work to "serve" The Crown. What about his brother and sister in law, who are reliable and work hard with no fanfare ?

Edward and Sophie do not cause controversy, challenge The Family-Firm or insult the Institution or Public either.

But they are it seems, in limbo. Very unfair and I hope it is resolved in their favor too.

I will say if Edward and Sophie do not get the long promised Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh Title I will be VERY disappointed. IN Charles.

I'm already greatly dismayed that Charles moved to award Royal Titles to his grandchildren that neither live in The Country or whose Parents work to "serve" The Crown. What about his brother and sister in law, who are reliable and work hard with no fanfare ?

Edward and Sophie do not cause controversy, challenge The Family-Firm or insult the Institution or Public either.

But they are it seems, in limbo. Very unfair and I hope it is resolved in their favor too.

These are two totally different situations, the grandchildren of a monarch are automatically prince or princess. The King did not award anything.

The Duke of Edinburgh is a different situation.

He did not award titles to his grandchildren, they are HRH by virtue of being his grandchildren....

All I'm saying is that Edward and Sophie were publicly promised The Titles. I guess we will see what happens.
And Denville, Charles has talked about for decades about streamlining The Royal Family. I guess it was just talk.

All I'm saying is that Edward and Sophie were publicly promised The Titles. I guess we will see what happens.
And Denville, Charles has talked about for decades about streamlining The Royal Family. I guess it was just talk.

He is streamlining the family. Harry was always intended to be a working royal. its not C's fault that he walked out of the job. Streamlining does not mean taking away HRHs.....As for the Edinburgh title, I can see good reasons for not giving it to Edward, but Im not going ot repeat them.

It's Prince Edward's birthday today (well, it's the 10th March here in NZ anyway) and i was hoping he might get the DoE title today. However what with the kerfuffle about the Sussex kids title, maybe not.

I agree totally with what Granada said above. And at the time 1999 it was agreed by the Queen, DoE AND the then Prince of Wales if i recall correctly, so it should happen. You sort of have to think that KCIII is just letting some things drift. If those Sussex children were going to have titles, it should have been mentioned soonish after he became king, not after the Sussexes pushed it by announcing 'Princess' Lilibet Diana upon her christening. But that's another thread...

Edward (and Sophie) deserve the title. They've worked hard, heads down, totally committed to Queen and Country. A credit to the RF. And Edward is in charge of the DoC scheme (i believe). And if he doesn't get the title now, then before the Coronation. And if that doesn't happen, then I believe he won't get it. And my estimation of Charles will plummet.

It was made pretty clear that Edward and Sophie were meant to be made Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh after the Queen died. They work very hard and The Firm would struggle without them. I'm another one who'll be very disappointed if they aren't given the titles.

Personally I dont think anyone cares - its Edward afterall. So it is just royal watches and most Royal experts - who get briefed by the palace that it is to keep the amount of royals down and is for cost saving.
That is the general one liner for everything at the moment - I think if they sold BP to the Chinese - the media office would give the same answer.

I just hope Edward (The Wessex's ) got something out of the deal. Maybe it was money or the title - their house or the title, either way. Personally I think even the Queen knew this was the likely outcome - I think they only announced it to get Charles to keep his word.

Last edited:
I honestly would never have expected the title to be conferred on Edward before the coronation anyway so I don't think the wait is anything sinister. That said, I think Charles has shown already he has a different view on the RF than his late mother so who knows but I don't think we can draw conclusions yet.

I hope Charles makes Edward the Duke of Edinburgh tomorrow. If he is ever going to do it I think it would be nice to do it before the coronation so Edward could attend as a royal duke, and his birthday would be the ideal day to bestow it.

And at the time 1999 it was agreed by the Queen, DoE AND the then Prince of Wales if i recall correctly, so it should happen.

Yes, it was.

"The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales have also agreed that The Prince Edward should be given the Dukedom of Edinburgh in due course, when the present title now held by Prince Philip eventually reverts to the Crown."

https://web.archive.org/web/2014020...ews/title_of_hrh_the_prince_edward/40309.html

These are two totally different situations, the grandchildren of a monarch are automatically prince or princess. The King did not award anything.

He did not award titles to his grandchildren, they are HRH by virtue of being his grandchildren....

Semantics aside, it is clear what Granada meant. The fact is that the King referred to his younger son's children as Master and Miss until the last day or two, and could have continued to do so, but he chose to begin referring to them as Prince and Princess instead.

Absolutely agree!

Please provide ONE link to Charles talking about streamlining the royal family - not 'sources close' but an actual time - one time - when Charles ever said such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom