Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 10: November 2018 - March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sophie is such an asset yo the BRF, she really deserves to be elevated to a royal Duchess and I hope that happens soon. If not Edinburgh then something else.

I thought I would post this here - But I know that the majority of people might read it and go - loyalty to the crown should trump all and leave it at that. But I thought that needed to be said.

For several years now - it has been a unwritten eventuality that the Earl and Countess of Wessex are the defacto heirs of the the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. Yet it was taken that Edward would take the DOE but as far as the rest of the DOE's charities they are considered too high profile for Edward. Edward and Sophie return to the royal fold was happily received by the Kents who saw it as an opportunity for their charities and patronages to find future homes and indeed Edward and Sophie have apprenticed under the Kents for years.
And then Megxit happened and Andrew happened and the royal landscape has changed. Despite the media claim - Edward and Sophie are not taking on more engagements - they are just getting more coverage. A number of patronages and Charities of the DOE, the Duke of York and the Sussex's and now even the Queen are coming knocking at the Wessex's door. And to say that their office is overwhelmed would be understatement. The royals themselves do not know what to do. Their calendars are pretty full as it is - it doesn't really fit into their mandate/ portfolio. But there is a kind of loyalty and honour in taken on an old legacy patronage and charity. But taken on these - would involve not taken on the Kent's charities when the time comes.
I am told that Edward is grief stricken about what should be taken on and what needs to rejected. As either way- he will be letting people down.

What would you do take the larger well known charities and patronages and let the older charities that have had royal patronages since forever fall?

Grief stricken seems very unlikely related to this specific topic.

I am quite sure the family realizes that not all royal patronages will be taken over by the younger generation but some will. So, I assume these things are discussed among Charles, William, Anne and Edward (and secretaries) and decisions are made.

The Countess of Wessex visited Open Sight Hampshire yesterday, November 17, to celebrate the charity's centenary:

** Pic **

Posts about another titles for the Earl and Countess of Wessex have been moved to a thread dedicated to the titles of the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

You can find the thread and the posts here.

The Countess of Wessex attended the "Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict Initiative 2022 International Conference" today, November 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
What has she done specifically that merits this award?

What has she done specifically that merits this award?

Seems to be about raising awareness of sexual violence in areas of conflict. The speaker that introduced the award mentioned her visits to "Kosovo, Kenya, South Sudan, Sierra Leone, DRC" and her work with the Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict Initiative.

In Washington, The Countess of Wessex has attended meetings to discuss furthering efforts to support survivors of sexual violence & women peacekeepers at the Office of the White House Gender Council Policy , Atlantic Council and US Institute of Peace

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYoa9iWAAIrdz5?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYoa9SX0AAKD6F?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYoa-GWYAAgRDO?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYoa-2X0AUTSK6?format=jpg&name=large

"The Earl of Wessex, in his role as @UniofBath Chancellor, this week visited the University’s Spectrometry Laboratory, where he met students and researchers working on pioneering projects."

Last edited:
What a lovely event!!

Sophie has certainly been busy. I really cannot keep up with her calendar!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Posts about weight and posts speculating about health problems have been removed according to the TRF rules.

"Today, HRH The Earl of Wessex is visiting schools, community and voluntary organisations running the DofE in and around Blackpool – spending time with young people who are making an amazing difference in their communities through their Volunteering."

The Countess of Wessex is in the Netherlands today, February 2, "for a visit centred around the women, peace, & security (WPS) agenda".

She met with British Ambassador to the Netherlands and Permanent Representative to the OPCW Joanna Roper:

** Pic **

And visited the Trust Fund for Victims in Den Haag as well as the International Criminal Court:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

Together with Princess Mabel she attended an event about conflict-related sexual violence, survivors and justice:

** Pic **

Last edited:
I assume she would have been received by king Willem-Alexander or queen Máxima had they been in the country. Maybe she can pay a short visit to prince Constantijn en princess Laurentien instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Countess of Wessex visited the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) in Den Haag today, February 3:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And planted a tree at the Dutch Embassy in memory of late Queen Elizabeth:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom