The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #621  
Old 11-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,552
I actually think that Sophie and Edward have done nothing differently. I do believe that there was plans for Sophie to increase her workload this year - but I think that more to James's age then M&H. And with Corona who really knows what the plans really were. I was told that Ed and Sophie work would be taken a different direction this year -and that was in October 2019. But I think whatever that was is now off the cards.


I was unable to find the link to the DOE Awards Canada - when Edward surprised the organization by attending the whole Skype of several hours rather then just calling in at the time of his speech. But as he would have been in Canada for this - that is what he does.


I don't really think that Edward and Sophie consider themselves part of the royal family core. Edward himself considers themselves irrelevant and the DOE organizers themselves believe he is happier in planning the charities, event and such then been its figurehead.
And as far as the Queen and Duke go - I don't think they appreciate them at all. Part of the Queen's job is to ensure the future of the monarchy. Edward is once again irrelevant to that. Yes - she will have tea with them to see the grandkids but essentially they are 13th in her line of attention. I cant remember where Edward said it but when asked if he was Queen's favorite child - he commented that he was below several corgis and horses as well.
Edward's relationship with the Duke of Edinburgh - essentially boils down to one thing they were working together often and Edward is available - unlike jet setting brothers and nephews. However even this relationship comes down to rank and will always be overlooked by the palace for prime charities and patronages. Again rank and the fact that the palace officials really dislike him.
When the Duke of Edinburgh passes I expect Charles and William to take center stage at the funeral and maybe Anne, if they don't allow Harry to do his bit. Odd when you think that Edward will inherit the title and does a lot of the Duke of Edinburgh's work now.


Mind you, Edward and Sophie don't care or feel slighted in the less.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #622  
Old 11-02-2020, 12:53 PM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 19,571
The Countess of Wessex attends the Sung Eucharist during the All Souls' Day Service at Westminster Abbey in London.

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2...this_event_adp

https://www.paimages.co.uk/headline/1572203


https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...rvice,_london?
__________________

__________________
#ΜΕΝΟΥΜΕ ΑΣΦΑΛΕΙΣ! #StaySafe! and the 2021!!
Reply With Quote
  #623  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I actually think that Sophie and Edward have done nothing differently. I do believe that there was plans for Sophie to increase her workload this year - but I think that more to James's age then M&H. And with Corona who really knows what the plans really were. I was told that Ed and Sophie work would be taken a different direction this year -and that was in October 2019. But I think whatever that was is now off the cards.


I was unable to find the link to the DOE Awards Canada - when Edward surprised the organization by attending the whole Skype of several hours rather then just calling in at the time of his speech. But as he would have been in Canada for this - that is what he does.


I don't really think that Edward and Sophie consider themselves part of the royal family core. Edward himself considers themselves irrelevant and the DOE organizers themselves believe he is happier in planning the charities, event and such then been its figurehead.
And as far as the Queen and Duke go - I don't think they appreciate them at all. Part of the Queen's job is to ensure the future of the monarchy. Edward is once again irrelevant to that. Yes - she will have tea with them to see the grandkids but essentially they are 13th in her line of attention. I cant remember where Edward said it but when asked if he was Queen's favorite child - he commented that he was below several corgis and horses as well.
Edward's relationship with the Duke of Edinburgh - essentially boils down to one thing they were working together often and Edward is available - unlike jet setting brothers and nephews. However even this relationship comes down to rank and will always be overlooked by the palace for prime charities and patronages. Again rank and the fact that the palace officials really dislike him.
When the Duke of Edinburgh passes I expect Charles and William to take center stage at the funeral and maybe Anne, if they don't allow Harry to do his bit. Odd when you think that Edward will inherit the title and does a lot of the Duke of Edinburgh's work now.

Mind you, Edward and Sophie don't care or feel slighted in the less.
Are you trying to say that the queen and duke of Edinburgh don't really care about their youngest son and his family because he is the youngest child and therefore not important enough? So, they receive them and their children out of pity and not out of genuine affection?

Of course, Edward will not admit to being the queen's favorite child (whether true or not); so a joke about corgi's is a great way to dug that question.

And state funerals go by order of precedence, so as eldest son (and heir) Charles will take center stage but that doesn't mean that Edward isn't important.

N.B. Charles will inherit the Duke of Edinburgh title if his father passes before his mother; otherwise it will merge with the crown (as Charles would have inherited were it not for him being king). Charles will have to award the title to Edward once both their parents have died (as has been discussed extensively in other topics).
Reply With Quote
  #624  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Are you trying to say that the queen and duke of Edinburgh don't really care about their youngest son and his family because he is the youngest child and therefore not important enough? So, they receive them and their children out of pity and not out of genuine affection?

Of course, Edward will not admit to being the queen's favorite child (whether true or not); so a joke about corgi's is a great way to dug that question.

And state funerals go by order of precedence, so as eldest son (and heir) Charles will take center stage but that doesn't mean that Edward isn't important.
Nope - Sure they do genuinely care about him, but I doubt that they take much interested/pride in anything he does.
Of course we really don't know - but as far as self - depreciation goes Edward does it in bucket loads.
Reply With Quote
  #625  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
Isn't it fairly well known that Sophie's "Teacher's Pet" with HM? I remember quite a few different people writing about that over the last couple of years.

Obviously some things like the funerals will come down to rank and some of the Patronages too but he has some pretty big ones (Paralympics IIRC), DOE Awards is nothing to sneeze at, even if he got it by default.

Haven't most of the family made (not really joking) "jokes" about the Corgis being the things the Queen loves the most? Pretty much all her grandchildren have been said to be her favourites at one time or another (William's actually by far the least likely to get called that) and I've never had the feeling that it goes in rank order at all in affection, even if there are times when rank takes over because of the job. Always take with a pinch of salt but there were a few articles along the lines of "she spends a lot more time with Louise and James because she's handed off more duties/slowed down a lot" a while ago. And there's always stuff about Phillip and Louise having a strong bond due to a mutual love of carriage driving.

I can see why they might well consider themselves outside the royal core and maybe not get on with Palace aides (seems no one gets on with them) and that they like it that way for many reasons, but I've never got the sense that HM doesn't appreciate what they do. For one thing they're the most likely to go to all the foreign celebrations, funerals, events etc partly because they can be trusted not to get into trouble, not to mention sometimes hosting events for HM at BP. That's a pretty big responsibility.
Reply With Quote
  #626  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Nope - Sure they do genuinely care about him, but I doubt that they take much interested/pride in anything he does.
Of course we really don't know - but as far as self - depreciation goes Edward does it in bucket loads.
Why? YOu've said that they dont seem to care much for Edward and that htey dont take any pride in what he does and he doesn't care that they dont care... and that he's about 13th in their estimation...
Reply With Quote
  #627  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
For one thing they're the most likely to go to all the foreign celebrations, funerals, events etc partly because they can be trusted not to get into trouble, not to mention sometimes hosting events for HM at BP. That's a pretty big responsibility.
A lot of the European weddings that they attended was on their own invitation - that is not to say The Queen will not ask them to represented her as well. That is why we had The Wessex's and Princess Anne at one wedding and The Prince of Wales and the Wessex's at another.

If they were really trusted with responsibility they would have more international tours and more meaty patronages and charities. I know of several patronages that specifically requested one or the other - started talks - one for a year - only to be told that Harry, Meghan and Kate were better fits for their cause. The royal family is a pecking order of rank and the Wessex's are well aware of their position. And yes I think that does affect their closeness with the Queen in the end.
Reply With Quote
  #628  
Old 11-02-2020, 02:00 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Nope - Sure they do genuinely care about him, but I doubt that they take much interested/pride in anything he does.
Of course we really don't know - but as far as self - depreciation goes Edward does it in bucket loads.
Thanks for clarifying; so you are mainly referring to his professional life that they don't really care about. Is that correct?

I would expect the DoE to be truly happy to see how his son and daughter-in-law have taken up the DoE Awards; and I would think they are happy to see how both of them have grown in their roles and truly value those working hard in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
A lot of the European weddings that they attended was on their own invitation - that is not to say The Queen will not ask them to represented her as well. That is why we had The Wessex's and Princess Anne at one wedding and The Prince of Wales and the Wessex's at another.

If they were really trusted with responsibility they would have more international tours and more meaty patronages and charities. I know of several patronages that specifically requested one or the other - started talks - one for a year - only to be told that Harry, Meghan and Kate were better fits for their cause. The royal family is a pecking order of rank and the Wessex's are well aware of their position. And yes I think that does affect their closeness with the Queen in the end.
It makes sense that the royal family was looking for ways to grow the number of patronages of the younger generations more recently, to me that doesn't automatically mean that the Wessexes weren't valued.

And I don't understand why you feel the need to play down their representation of the queen at foreign royal activities (mostly without any other sibling), it is clear that they are doing a great job in that area. And I'm glad they do as the other royals mostly cannot be bothered it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #629  
Old 11-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why? YOu've said that they dont seem to care much for Edward and that htey dont take any pride in what he does and he doesn't care that they dont care... and that he's about 13th in their estimation...
It is not for me to say they don't care for him, sure they do - but in the grand scheme of things the Queen has a lot on her plate and Edward is usually the one forgotten. That been said it is probably 100 better then the attention that he got from the Queen Mother and he was only pulled out for photo ops.

You do realize that Edward was the son they forgot to pick up at school. Charles ordered that the cut the electricity to the apartment switched off during the Balmoral holidays when Edward asked for it be restored it was said that the palace had forgotten he was there. Interesting fact - Edward wore hand-me-downs until he was over 21. The only piece of clothing brought specifically for his use were the page clothes he wore for Princess Anne's wedding. None of these anecdotes talk to his relationship with the Queen - just that he is often forgotten in the royal whirlwind.

The Queen is the only mother he will ever have and he is happy with whatever time is spends with her. He has noted that he is especially fortunately to still have his parents at his age. The Queen however has four children and several grand and Great Grandchildren as well as a country to run.
Reply With Quote
  #630  
Old 11-02-2020, 02:42 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 57,407
Here's an article about the Countess of Wessex at the Sung Eucharist for All Souls' Day at Westminster Abbey this evening:


** dm: Sophie Wessex appears sombre in a blue facemask and navy blazer dress to attend All Saints Day service..**
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #631  
Old 11-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The Queen is the only mother he will ever have and he is happy with whatever time is spends with her. He has noted that he is especially fortunately to still have his parents at his age. The Queen however has four children and several grand and Great Grandchildren as well as a country to run.
And -as she has been slowing down over the last decade or so- it seems she has been able to spend more time with Louise and James than with her 6 older grandchildren when they were young
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 11-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It is not for me to say they don't care for him, sure they do - but in the grand scheme of things the Queen has a lot on her plate and Edward is usually the one forgotten. That been said it is probably 100 better then the attention that he got from the Queen Mother and he was only pulled out for photo ops.

You do realize that Edward was the son they forgot to pick up at school. Charles ordered that the cut the electricity to the apartment switched off during the Balmoral holidays when Edward asked for it be restored it was said that the palace had forgotten he was there. Interesting fact - Edward wore hand-me-downs until he was over 21. The only piece of clothing brought specifically for his use were the page clothes he wore for Princess Anne's wedding. None of these anecdotes talk to his relationship with the Queen - just that he is often forgotten in the royal whirlwind.

The Queen is the only mother he will ever have and he is happy with whatever time is spends with her. He has noted that he is especially fortunately to still have his parents at his age. The Queen however has four children and several grand and Great Grandchildren as well as a country to run.
She doesn't run the country, never has, and I hardly think that her son, even if he was the 4th child really never had new clothes except for teh pages uniform for Anne's wedding.
Reply With Quote
  #633  
Old 11-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
A lot of the European weddings that they attended was on their own invitation - that is not to say The Queen will not ask them to represented her as well. That is why we had The Wessex's and Princess Anne at one wedding and The Prince of Wales and the Wessex's at another.

If they were really trusted with responsibility they would have more international tours and more meaty patronages and charities. I know of several patronages that specifically requested one or the other - started talks - one for a year - only to be told that Harry, Meghan and Kate were better fits for their cause. The royal family is a pecking order of rank and the Wessex's are well aware of their position. And yes I think that does affect their closeness with the Queen in the end.

The Queen has sent them as her representative several times and from that they made friends with other young royal couples and got invites on their own merit.

Whilst they don't get the big splashy royal tours on behalf of the government very often, neither do/did Anne or Andrew (alleged favourite). Sophie has made many trips to places like Hyderabad and Kenya and the now virtual Sierra Leone trip with her patronages and obviously Edward would be in Canada if possible right now. I do wish these trips got more attention for various reasons. They did get an official tour in 2012 for the Diamond Jubilee to the West Indies and a few on other occasions.

I do think that Sophie is starting to get the "underrated, hardworking royal" articles that Anne has. Anne also went thought a very long who? phase in terms of visibility because she wasn't showy or interesting but I don't think that lessened her place with her parents. I also don't think that being the "forgotten, dependable ones" is such a bad thing at the moment, although it might feel like being the other brother with the Prodigal Son. Apart from anything else, they get to live their lives in peace as they see fit, unless they majorly screw up and they already know what that's like.

The situation with the patronages being given to the younger royals is unfortunate, although I can see why there was a push to go with the younger, high profile faces in theory, but that doesn't mean no one appreciates what they do with the ones they do have.

I'm taking the clothing situation with a pinch of salt but if at least partly true it wouldn't necessarily be unusual for that era especially with parents who grew up with rationing etc for the youngest in the family with two older brothers to live mostly in hand me downs, especially good quality ones.

I have no doubt rank does affect the family even in their private moments but they all have mixed feelings about The Firm but there hasn't been much to suggest that she bases her affections or appreciation on rank order, even though she was very busy for many years. Charles has talked about his difficulties with his parents and almost everyone BUT William has been mentioned as her "favourite grandchild" over the years.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/a-look...l-year-135537/

This look back at 2019 for the Wessexes suggests his parents do value their work, with the events they hosted, the Earldom Edward was given, the (not flashy) Patronage Sophie was handed and the trips they took. Many of them could not have happened without the acknowledgement of the Queen. They probably took up less of her time worrying about them because they didn't create an incident or terrible headlines though.
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 11-03-2020, 04:51 AM
Lady Daly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherwood, United States
Posts: 634
I thoroughly enjoy coming to the Wessexes threads. Despite the pandemic they seem busy enough with virtual and live engagements on behalf of the Queen. They are articulate, pleasant and engaging; very often with a smile and a good sense of humor. Edward and Sophie appear happy and content as individuals and as a family. I can't think the Queen spends any time worrying about these two.
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 11-03-2020, 05:59 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 30,742
Wonderful to see The Countess at the All Souls' Day Service at Westminster Abbey,very poignant this year given the UK and Worldwide death toll from Covid19.
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 11-04-2020, 02:47 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 57,407
The Earl of Wessex as Patron of London Youth presented the charity's 2020 Prince Philip Award to London Funders today:


** video **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #637  
Old 11-05-2020, 02:42 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 57,407
Today, November 5, the Earl and Countess of Wessex spoke to community leaders in Devon "about the county's response to Covid-19, and later heard from the Theatre Royal Plymouth about their arts programmes for disabled adults":


** Pic **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 11-06-2020, 07:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Otago, New Zealand
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
The Queen has sent them as her representative several times and from that they made friends with other young royal couples and got invites on their own merit.

Whilst they don't get the big splashy royal tours on behalf of the government very often, neither do/did Anne or Andrew (alleged favourite). Sophie has made many trips to places like Hyderabad and Kenya and the now virtual Sierra Leone trip with her patronages and obviously Edward would be in Canada if possible right now. I do wish these trips got more attention for various reasons. They did get an official tour in 2012 for the Diamond Jubilee to the West Indies and a few on other occasions.

I do think that Sophie is starting to get the "underrated, hardworking royal" articles that Anne has. Anne also went thought a very long who? phase in terms of visibility because she wasn't showy or interesting but I don't think that lessened her place with her parents. I also don't think that being the "forgotten, dependable ones" is such a bad thing at the moment, although it might feel like being the other brother with the Prodigal Son. Apart from anything else, they get to live their lives in peace as they see fit, unless they majorly screw up and they already know what that's like.

The situation with the patronages being given to the younger royals is unfortunate, although I can see why there was a push to go with the younger, high profile faces in theory, but that doesn't mean no one appreciates what they do with the ones they do have.

I'm taking the clothing situation with a pinch of salt but if at least partly true it wouldn't necessarily be unusual for that era especially with parents who grew up with rationing etc for the youngest in the family with two older brothers to live mostly in hand me downs, especially good quality ones.

I have no doubt rank does affect the family even in their private moments but they all have mixed feelings about The Firm but there hasn't been much to suggest that she bases her affections or appreciation on rank order, even though she was very busy for many years. Charles has talked about his difficulties with his parents and almost everyone BUT William has been mentioned as her "favourite grandchild" over the years.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/a-look...l-year-135537/

This look back at 2019 for the Wessexes suggests his parents do value their work, with the events they hosted, the Earldom Edward was given, the (not flashy) Patronage Sophie was handed and the trips they took. Many of them could not have happened without the acknowledgement of the Queen. They probably took up less of her time worrying about them because they didn't create an incident or terrible headlines though.
Edward and Sophie were the only relatively young married couple in the early-mid 2000s within the immediate Royal family so back then they used to get dispatched to various engagements / weddings of European royals as representives of the British Royal Family. So I think it started out as duty but over the years they have built up good relationships with the European Royals.
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 11-12-2020, 01:04 PM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 19,571
"The Countess of Wessex has shown her support to @Girlguiding and @BBCCiN and completed her own #ActYourAge challenge. HRH, President @Girlguiding, put on her apron to earn a Pudsey badge and baked 55 cheese & bacon scones earlier this week! "


https://twitter.com/i/status/1326943675520327682
__________________
#ΜΕΝΟΥΜΕ ΑΣΦΑΛΕΙΣ! #StaySafe! and the 2021!!
Reply With Quote
  #640  
Old 11-18-2020, 01:35 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 19,571
"On Thursday 12th November Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex made a private visit to our Foodbank to help out. Her Royal Highness spent time talking to volunteers about how they have responded to the Covid-19 emergency."


https://twitter.com/WKGFoodbank/stat...006080/photo/2
__________________

__________________
#ΜΕΝΟΥΜΕ ΑΣΦΑΛΕΙΣ! #StaySafe! and the 2021!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
countess of wessex, current events, earl of wessex, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, viscount severn


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (1 members and 7 guests)
prince.of.preslav
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 3: February-August 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 197 08-17-2008 11:44 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 2: September 2007-February 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 211 02-07-2008 07:16 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 1: March-September 2007 Avalon Current Events Archive 211 09-10-2007 06:44 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 9: November 2005-March 2006 Martine Current Events Archive 197 03-11-2006 11:46 PM
Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 8: August-November 2005 marezdote Current Events Archive 183 11-08-2005 01:46 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography birth britannia british british royal family brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove jack brooksbank jewellery king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle nepal nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen louise queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry spain speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thailand tradition unfinished portrait united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×