Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 10: November 2018 - March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit surprised that the Wessexes flew on the private jet to St. Mortiz (a very celebrity mode of transport to a very celebrity location!) since they're usually very "good" at flying economy. I guess everyone deserves a bit of luxury once in a while though - the Wessexes are very hard working royals.

I don't think it's a good look for any of the BRF, although I'm sure they all do it every once in a while, especially when a wealthy friend is picking up the tab.

They have used a private jet to go skiing for the last few years as they have often been seen travelling with friends. I would like to think they pay for the flight themselves as it’s a private holiday. All the public would be paying for is Edward’s PPO as he has one 24/7.

Reactions: JSH
I am disappointed that they are criticized here... the Wessexes work hard and probably have friends who will loan the private jets if this is truly what happened ... Yes they work hard unlike some and keep a low profile except when the media choose to make a mountain out of a mole hill I a trying to be not as annoyed as I really am here but I am sick of such reporting ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it. If they paid for 4 first class tickets on a proper airline, what do you believe the cost would be? Call a few. Usually about 5 to 7 thousand for a rather short flight. Plus the advantage of being able to take far more luggage and not having to sit and wait for your plane along with some people that will be running late is certainly worth the money if you can afford. These planes are advertised all the time now on TV and friends here are grouping together and doing the same. Heck, sure make a lot of sense to me and traveling a bit nicer.

Don't worry about - just some reporters trying to stir - they make this trip every year for over ten years. They use the same airplane and stay at the same hotel. Nothing really there. The price is also exaggerated. Just jumping on the bandwagon.

Don't worry about - just some reporters trying to stir - they make this trip every year for over ten years. They use the same airplane and stay at the same hotel. Nothing really there. The price is also exaggerated. Just jumping on the bandwagon.
The article states that they are hosted by a Swiss billionaire - I assume that means they are staying w/ the billionaire rather than at a hotel.
All of the Queen’s children, except Anne, have received bad press through the years for using private jets for extravagant vacations.

The article states that they are hosted by a Swiss billionaire - I assume that means they are staying w/ the billionaire rather than at a hotel.
All of the Queen’s children, except Anne, have received bad press through the years for using private jets for extravagant vacations.

That's why I said it's not a good look for any of the BRF, because it raises the question of who exactly the friends are who are doing these kinds of favors, and what are they getting in return. It's a legitimate question, not just the tabloids muckraking.

I do think we have to consider who the friends of royals are. Through no fault of their own they know rich people. My friends give me books for birthdays, I imagine allowing Edward and the family to spend time in “a billionaires” Swiss home is nothing but a gift to them.

I can’t really fault them. For safety and privacy reasons alone I think it’s a good idea.

I do think we have to consider who the friends of royals are. Through no fault of their own they know rich people. My friends give me books for birthdays, I imagine allowing Edward and the family to spend time in “a billionaires” Swiss home is nothing but a gift to them.

I can’t really fault them. For safety and privacy reasons alone I think it’s a good idea.

I agree with you - it’s not the Wessex’s fault they have rich friends nor is it their fault if their friends allow them to use their house.

The Swiss friend is likely to be Urs Ernst Schwarzenbach who has been their friend for decades. His wife is one of Lady Louise’s godparents so they’re obvious pretty good friends.

I see no issue with royals flying private, especially as mentioned above regarding how much first class tickets can cost. And doesn’t this also mean Scotland Yard isn’t picking up the tab for RPOs’ airline tickets as they would just go on the private jet? The only potential criticism I can understand is about carbon footprint. But then again, a lot of us also complain about carbon emission and drive rather than take public transportation.

Hope the Wessexes have a good break!

I see no issue with royals flying private, especially as mentioned above regarding how much first class tickets can cost. And doesn’t this also mean Scotland Yard isn’t picking up the tab for RPOs’ airline tickets as they would just go on the private jet? The only potential criticism I can understand is about carbon footprint. But then again, a lot of us also complain about carbon emission and drive rather than take public transportation.

Hope the Wessexes have a good break!

Correct on all accounts. :flowers:

My issue with public figures accepting rides in private jets is that the "favor" is often associated with some questionable goal like getting some kind of special access that might benefit the jet's owner in the future.

It is particularly critical when the person taking the ride is a government official like a minister for example, when it is often a case of influence peddling. With the RF, I don't think it is that much of an issue, but still I'd still prefer that they didn't do it.

My issue with public figures accepting rides in private jets is that the "favor" is often associated with some questionable goal like getting some kind of special access that might benefit the jet's owner in the future.

It is particularly critical when the person taking the ride is a government official like a minister for example, when it is often a case of influence peddling. With the RF, I don't think it is that much of an issue, but still I'd still prefer that they didn't do it.

Like i said before, it's quite clear on both recent private jet accounts that they're long term friends of the people travelling in them. The Swiss Billionaire it appears to be is godfather to Louise. I genuinely don't see what royals can give a billionaire, they don't already have.

I can certainly understand that at times if it goes beyond a convenient lift and there is more than just a one in awhile thing. However, I don’t see how that’s applicable in this situation. Wealthy people do give each other a lift on private jets. It is what it is. I remember in Davos, when faced with criticism of about 1,500 private jets flying in, while talking about environmental issues, one of the things they said is they encourage participants to jet pool if they have to take jets. I mean, it’s a different world, but if we think about it as giving our friends a lift in our cars.

As long as there isn’t very obvious things like actual money exchanging hands or clear quid pro quo, there are some things Are just what they are.

If there was any public money being used I can see complaint.

Urs is a long time friend of the BRF, including Charles, they are said to be polo friends. Harry stayed in Urs' home in Australia during his gap year. Urs' wife Francesca is Louise's godmother.

Royals really have no power. They are not allowed any political say. There is no reason to think that the royals will be offering 'favors' back.

I've deleted posts discussing Meghan's baby shower and her travel arrangements from New York. Please stop bringing that topic over to other threads.

I've also deleted off-topic comments about Jeffrey Epstein. This thread is about the Earl and Countess of Wessex, let's stick to the topic.

Court Circular 25th February:
The Earl of Wessex, Chancellor, this afternoon attended a portrait-unveiling at the University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Somerset (Mrs Richard Maw).

His Royal Highness, Chancellor, University of Bath, subsequently visited the Virgil Building, University of Bath, 5 Manvers Street, Bath.

Court Circular 26th February:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, today attended Receptions at St. James's Palace for young people who have achieved the Gold Standard in the Award.

His Royal Highness, Patron, the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain, this evening attended a Centre Stage Supporters and Investors in Talent Reception at the Stafford Hotel, 16-18 St. James's Place, London SW1.

The Countess of Wessex, Grand President, St. John Ambulance in the Priory of England and the Islands, this morning visited Gordano School, St. Mary's Road, Portishead, Bristol, and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Somerset (Mrs. Richard Maw).

Her Royal Highness this afternoon visited the Fashion Museum, Assembly Rooms, Bennett Street, Bath, and was received by Mr. Edward Bayntun-Coward (Deputy Lieutenant of Somerset).

The Countess of Wessex later visited Radstock Museum, Waterloo Road, Radstock, and was received by Mr. Edward Allen (Deputy Lieutenant of Somerset).

Last edited:
Last edited:

Today, February 27, the Countess of Wessex attended the Foreign & Commonwealth Office Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict Initiative Conference at Wilton Park, Wiston House in Steyning, West Sussex:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

The Earl of Wessex met with the President of Slovenia Borut Pahor on day 1 of his visit to the UK:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Court Circular 27th February:
The Earl of Wessex, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this morning held a Meeting.

His Royal Highness, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, today attended Receptions at St. James's Palace for young people who have achieved the Gold Standard in the Award.

The President of the Republic of Slovenia called upon The Earl of Wessex at St. James's Palace this afternoon.

His Royal Highness later visited the offices of MI5 at Thames House, 12 Millbank, Westminster, London SW1.

The Countess of Wessex today attended a Foreign and Commonwealth Office Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict Initiative Conference at Wilton Park, Wiston House, Steyning, West Sussex.

Her Royal Highness, Patron, Toronto General and Western Hospital, this afternoon held a Meeting.

Court Circular 28th February:
The Countess of Wessex this morning officially opened the new multisensory music room at the Children’s Trust, Tadworth Court, Tadworth, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Surrey (Mr Michael More-Molyneux).

Her Royal Highness this afternoon visited the Amber Foundation, Farm Place, Stane Street, Ockley, Surrey.

The Countess of Wessex later opened the new distillery at Silent Pool Distillers, Shere Road, Albury, Surrey.

Last edited:

Today, March 1, the Earl of Wessex was in Glasgow.
As Trustee of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award he visited St Andrew's Secondary School and the High School of Glasgow. As Vice Patron of The Commonwealth Games Federation he attended the European Indoor Athletics Championships. As Honorary Member of The Incorporation of Coopers of Glasgow he attended The Earl of Wessex Awards Ceremony at The Trades Hall of Glasgow and as Honorary Member of The Incorporation of Coopers of Glasgow he attended the Annual Choosing Dinner.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

Last edited:
Last edited:
Court Circular 5th March:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, today held a series of Meetings at St James’s Palace.

Court Circular 6th March:
The Countess of Wessex this afternoon opened the Phase 4 Warehouse at Omega plc, Omega Boulevard, Capitol Park, Thorne, Doncaster, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of South Yorkshire (Mr Andrew Coombe).

Her Royal Highness, Patron, Foundation of Light, subsequently opened the Beacon of Light, Stadium Park, Sunderland, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Tyne and Wear (Mrs Susan Winfield).

The Countess of Wessex, Patron, Foundation of Light, later attended an Awards Dinner, followed by a Show, at the Beacon of Light.

Court Circular 7th March:
The Earl of Wessex, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, today attended a Meeting at Award House, 7-11 St. Matthew Street, London SW1.

His Royal Highness, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this afternoon attended a Three Funds Advisory Committee Meeting at Award House.

Last edited:

The Countess of Wessex as Chair of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Women's Network Forum attended the Market Opening Ceremony to mark International Women's Day 2019 at the London Stock Exchange this morning:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Video ** Video 2 ** rex gallery **

** dailymail: Sophie at the Stock Exchange! Countess of Wessex looks chic..**

Ahead of International Women's Day the Countess of Wessex has also written a text for the Telegraph:

** telegraph: Countess of Wessex teams up with Angelina Jolie to end rape and sexual violence in war zones **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom